Money Management With Spouses - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 11-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #121
YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Money Management With Spouses

I think we moved past divorce and were back to people's opinions on optimal money utilization in a marriage

if we were still on divorce you're right and I'm sorry
YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-21-2017, 01:02 PM   #122
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

it speaks to a larger issue though, which is that if you are planning for a divorce vis-a-vis your finances maybe the better route is to avoid marriage in the first place??
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-21-2017, 01:05 PM   #123
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    it speaks to a larger issue though, which is that if you are planning for a divorce vis-a-vis your finances maybe the better route is to avoid marriage in the first place??
    Here in Colorado at least, come 11 years it’s a good idea to make sure it’s still going strong ecause after 12 you pay for 1/2 the term of the marriage verses a lot less time.

This town is nuts, my kind of place. I don't never ever want to leave....
    Climb2safety is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-21-2017, 03:46 PM   #124
    laura22

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

i feel bad for my future husband

im frugal in the sense that i feel guilty about spending money
    like buying a coffee out?? that's only for a special occasion
    laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-21-2017, 09:25 PM   #125
    rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cazzie34 View Post
    Why did you start having your sister take over your finances?
    Well, before you altered this post, your two original questions are answered in my initial post.

After that, there's really been no reason to change just because both of us are too lazy to turn off auto pay or change account settings. I still know exactly how much money I have and have 100% access to all of it at any time. It's like having a personal driver. How is that bad? It's like, yeah, I know how to drive but it's kind of annoying and I'd rather watch Netflix on my phone than deal with traffic.

Oh, and if you look at my initial post and see how this all started, I'll tell you how things got back on track....I reduced spending on dumb shit, like CC/loan debt. Just doing that, can alleviate massive amounts of your expenses. A couple of other cuts here and there and you can reduce your spending 50% but gain a lot of wealth in the process. I'm kind of a fan of that idea. Needs to expand to a lot of other areas, especially federal taxation but I don't want to make this thread political by citing real world examples of how to pay down debt and build wealth. Facts never go over well when it comes to politics.
    rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-22-2017, 05:21 AM   #126
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rconverse View Post
    Well, before you altered this post, your two original questions are answered in my initial post.

After that, there's really been no reason to change just because both of us are too lazy to turn off auto pay or change account settings. I still know exactly how much money I have and have 100% access to all of it at any time. It's like having a personal driver. How is that bad? It's like, yeah, I know how to drive but it's kind of annoying and I'd rather watch Netflix on my phone than deal with traffic.

Oh, and if you look at my initial post and see how this all started, I'll tell you how things got back on track....I reduced spending on dumb shit, like CC/loan debt. Just doing that, can alleviate massive amounts of your expenses. A couple of other cuts here and there and you can reduce your spending 50% but gain a lot of wealth in the process. I'm kind of a fan of that idea. Needs to expand to a lot of other areas, especially federal taxation but I don't want to make this thread political by citing real world examples of how to pay down debt and build wealth. Facts never go over well when it comes to politics.
    Sorry, the reason why I eliminated the first question was because I saw that it was in your original response.

With regards to they why, it looks like it was because you had some debt problems. Who approached who? Were you missing payments and needed someone to help? What was the debt? 4 figures? 5 figures?
    cazzie34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-22-2017, 10:22 AM   #127
    Noles20
    Go Birds!

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    again, putting the money in one pile versus two separate ones is not what's causing anyone to "have to account for every dollar to the other person." that's a whole personality issue that has nothing to do with where you put the money that comes in
    I was only speaking about my wife and I, no one else.
    Old 11-22-2017, 01:39 PM   #128
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cazzie34 View Post
    Sorry, the reason why I eliminated the first question was because I saw that it was in your original response.

With regards to they why, it looks like it was because you had some debt problems. Who approached who? Were you missing payments and needed someone to help? What was the debt? 4 figures? 5 figures?
    It was about $18k. It started out as a conversation and ended with her just kind of taking things over while I was in debt. Initially it was only supposed to last about 2 years, which is how long we figured it would take me to get out of debt. It actually took less than that, so I was kind of like "let's keep this going, if you don't mind" and she didn't and it's been that way since. No real reason to change it back. Like I said, until something changes, it's not worth the time to go through the accounts and remove her from them.

As to how I got myself into that type of debt, a lot of bad decisions. Some were bad decisions on purchases or using credit and some bad decisions ended up having financial consequences. Basically being stupid with my own money, thinking it was an unlimited source and I was free from any consequences of overspending. Because I was an adult and working, I felt entitled to everything right then as opposed to being patient and paying for things as I go.

Also, if you're still struggling with the idea that I'm "not in control of my money", keep in mind that I'm still in control of my money. I think of it the same way I help people on the Excel message boards that I used to frequent. When someone asked me recently if there was a way to remove non-numeric numbers from a cell. I wrote this function...

Code:
    Function GetNumbers(S As String) As String
    Dim i As Long
    For i = 1 To Len(S)
        If Mid(S, i, 1) Like "[1-9]" Then GetNumbers = GetNumbers & Mid(S, i, 1)
    Next i
    End Function
    ...and then said you can reference the function in a cell, like this:

Code:
    =GetNumbers(A2)
    The person who asked for that doesn't care how the function works, they just care that it works. Who created it literally doesn't matter. The owner of the workbook is still in control of the workbook and all the data in the workbook.
    Old 11-24-2017, 08:49 AM   #129
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    It fundamentally changes that.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harryhoudini View Post
    To be fair, legally isn't that the case? I don't have much insight into divorce proceedings, so correct me if I'm wrong.
    I'm talking about the state of mind, not the legal obligations. Obviously, if we get divorced, then that's an entirely different thing. While we're married, we can arrange our bank accounts however we want.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-24-2017, 09:00 AM   #130
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    I'm talking about the state of mind, not the legal obligations. Obviously, if we get divorced, then that's an entirely different thing. While we're married, we can arrange our bank accounts however we want.
    I subscribe to the r/personalfinance forum on Reddit and the topic of how to arrange finances when married is a constant topic of discussion and inevitably the same people always flood in to defend their own arrangement, whatever it may be, and to proclaim that it is the best way.
    Old 11-24-2017, 09:39 AM   #131
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    I subscribe to the r/personalfinance forum on Reddit and the topic of how to arrange finances when married is a constant topic of discussion and inevitably the same people always flood in to defend their own arrangement, whatever it may be, and to proclaim that it is the best way.
    It all depends on the people in the marriage. Different things work for different people. I would have likely never married anyone who required that all of our money be pooled into one account. The person I did marry liked the idea of separate accounts like me and we're happily married.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-24-2017, 09:41 AM   #132
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Required?
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-24-2017, 09:51 AM   #133
    Mickey Carson

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I've been married for 11 years, and my wife and I never have arguments about money. FWIW, here's how we handle our finances...

We have a joint checking account where our paychecks are deposited. This account is what pays all of our bills, funds 529 plans for the kids, and almost all of the items in our monthly budget. We have a money market account, which serves as our emergency fund/savings.

We also have separate checking accounts as well, which is our "fun money." Each month $175 goes into each of our spending accounts that we can spend on whatever we want. For my wife, it's mostly clothes and coffee. For me, it's concert tickets, home theatre stuff, etc.

I keep a monthly budget with over 30 line items, so I'm pretty anal about it. I'm a big fan of having separate checking accounts where a monthly "allowance" goes in that you and your spouse can spend on whatever you want. That way we avoid any potential argument when she spends $300 on clothes or I buy DMB tickets for the Gorge

Last edited by Mickey Carson; 11-24-2017 at 09:53 AM.
    Mickey Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-24-2017, 10:00 AM   #134
    scrock25

My Tour Central Stats

But what’s the difference between spending the $$ out of account x1234 or spending that money out of account x5678?

What changes?
    Old 11-24-2017, 10:03 AM   #135
    Route_2
    What Album?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    It all depends on the people in the marriage. Different things work for different people. I would have likely never married anyone who required that all of our money be pooled into one account. The person I did marry liked the idea of separate accounts like me and we're happily married.
    Very true. We got married in our middle thirties and were both used to having things a certain way. But, I trust her and she trusts me (isn't that what marriage is all about?) so we've never felt a strong urge to mix everything. The compromise is that we each have access to the others Mint.com account. I don't think she ever looks at mine, but I go check hers once a month so I can aggregate all of our accounts to know where we stand in the big picture. I work in finance and have a big worksheet I update with our budget, investments, net worth, etc. I enjoy doing that type of stuff so its fun for me but she couldn't care less.
    Old 11-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #136
    Mickey Carson

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    But what’s the difference between spending the $$ out of account x1234 or spending that money out of account x5678?

What changes?
    Well, it definitely makes maintaining a monthly budget easier because it eliminates any variability if large purchases are made by either of us. Plus, it eliminates either of us spending too much money on frivolous items. If my wife wants to go on a shopping spree, she knows she can spend whatever is in her personal checking account and not more than that.

If I want to purchase a bunch of concert tickets, I know I'm limited to what's in my personal checking account. Spending is controlled but we still have the independence to purchase what we want. For example, I just spent nearly $100 to buy Luther College on vinyl this morning. She doesn't totally understand my obsession, but we never argue about the thousands of bucks I've spent on DMB-related items over the years because I'm just spending my own monthly "allowance."

Last edited by Mickey Carson; 11-24-2017 at 10:09 AM.
    Old 11-24-2017, 10:13 AM   #137
    scrock25

My Tour Central Stats

I guess the question remains, why is it different because it’s coming out of a different account?
    Old 11-24-2017, 10:19 AM   #138
    Route_2
    What Album?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I guess the question remains, why is it different because it’s coming out of a different account?
    That question works both ways, though. It's not different if it's all shared money if it's in one account or many. So, whatever makes each couple feel most comfortable.
    Old 11-24-2017, 10:22 AM   #139
    Mickey Carson

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well, obviously in the grand scheme of things it's not any "different." The reason I like having separate small checking accounts though is neither of us has to get permission from the other for small spending purchases.

If she wants to spend a few hundred bucks on clothes, she can and it has no effect on our joint checking account/our ability to pay monthly bills. I don't want either of us to be in a position of having to get permission or ask if a relatively small purchase can be made or not.

Last edited by Mickey Carson; 11-24-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    Old 11-24-2017, 10:57 AM   #140
    scrock25

My Tour Central Stats

So you guys would have to ask permission to spend money but only if it’s in one account?

Just trying to understand...
    Old 11-24-2017, 11:32 AM   #141
    Mickey Carson

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So you guys would have to ask permission to spend money but only if it’s in one account?

Just trying to understand...
    Well, let's say we only had one joint checking account for all monthly expenditures, and I wanted to spend $700 on concert tickets. It's the end of the month and we're down to $2500 in our joint checking account but our mortgage and Roth IRA contributions are about to come out, which would reduce our joint checking account to $500. My $700 in concert tickets would put us in the red if I took the money from joint checking, so I have to take the money from our money market account (which is our emergency fund). This is something I'd obviously need to clear with my wife before I just deplete our savings.

But since I have a separate checking account that I control for my own frivolous purchases, I can spend the $700 (if I have that much in my account) without clearing it with my wife. Because this account is not tied to any monthly bills, my concert ticket purchase has zero impact on our monthly bills being paid on time, so it's not a financial conversation/argument that my wife and I need to have. Could my spending money be pooled into our joint checking account? Sure, but then it'd be harder to track our individual spending habits and could lead to inequity (or arguments) if one of us starts spending way more each month than the other. Since our fun accounts are separate and receive the exact same amount deposited in them each month, we don't have to police each other's spending habits.
    Old 11-24-2017, 11:52 AM   #142
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

I'm not sure where this notion that married couples who share accounts have to ask each other for permission to buy things they want comes from.
    Old 11-24-2017, 12:25 PM   #143
    Mickey Carson

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    I'm not sure where this notion that married couples who share accounts have to ask each other for permission to buy things they want comes from.
    Maybe it's a little dependent on how much money a married couple makes each month?

If a couple's financial situation has them living paycheck-to-paycheck, a random purchase could put them into debt or leave them without enough money to pay bills. It'd obviously be more important in that scenario to run a purchase by your spouse.

Since many married couples start their relationships without a huge nest egg, it's probably a habit they've develop that started when their bank accounts were much smaller.
    Old 11-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #144
    scrock25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    Neither do I, it’s odd.
    Old 11-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #145
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mickey Carson View Post
    Maybe it's a little dependent on how much money a married couple makes each month?

If a couple's financial situation has them living paycheck-to-paycheck, a random purchase could put them into debt or leave them without enough money to pay bills. It'd obviously be more important in that scenario to run a purchase by your spouse.

Since many married couples start their relationships without a huge nest egg, it's probably a habit they've develop that started when their bank accounts were much smaller.
    If you’re that tight then you also shouldn’t have separate accounts for secret spending, either.

It’s all one lump pot, no matter how you slice it or justify it. If the bills fell behind for whatever reason would you pull the $700 from your personal account instead of buying concert tickets?
    Old 11-24-2017, 04:40 PM   #146
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

While I can understand people who pool everything into one account and then just keep that one account, I can absolutely understand something where you have a joint account where everything goes and then separate checking accounts with the portion of your budget that's for incidentals.

Think about it....If you have one account and everything is pulled from that account and you have an "incidental" budget of x, the only way to track x is by tracking all spending. With a separate account, you just kind of know that what's in there is there to be spent by you, regardless of what you spend it on. That doesn't mean if you want to spend more, you can't, it just kind of forces you to communicate with the other person that you'd like to spend a little extra on whatever it is. The other person could come to you with the same request. That's the benefit of having the money go to separate spending accounts. By keeping one joint account relatively unchanged, there's no need to monitor it. I'm not saying it's for everyone, I just don't see it as a confusing concept.
    Old 11-24-2017, 04:46 PM   #147
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    Very true. We got married in our middle thirties and were both used to having things a certain way. But, I trust her and she trusts me (isn't that what marriage is all about?) so we've never felt a strong urge to mix everything. The compromise is that we each have access to the others Mint.com account. I don't think she ever looks at mine, but I go check hers once a month so I can aggregate all of our accounts to know where we stand in the big picture. I work in finance and have a big worksheet I update with our budget, investments, net worth, etc. I enjoy doing that type of stuff so its fun for me but she couldn't care less.
    FWIW from someone who's worked with countless "budget" workbooks, Your net worth shouldn't need to be updated if your spreadsheet is set up correctly. It should just calculate. Also, not sure if you're doing it but you can import your investment returns right to Excel workbooks and use formulas to calculate those as well, so you're not manually updating it every month, quarter, etc...

Last edited by rconverse; 11-24-2017 at 04:49 PM.
    Old 11-24-2017, 05:10 PM   #148
    Mickey Carson

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    If you’re that tight then you also shouldn’t have separate accounts for secret spending, either.
    Agreed. Someone who can barely afford to pay their bills shouldn't be allocating discretionary fun money each month.

Quote:
    It’s all one lump pot, no matter how you slice it or justify it.
    Never said it wasn't one lump pot.

Quote:
    If the bills fell behind for whatever reason would you pull the $700 from your personal account instead of buying concert tickets?
    Of course. That example I gave was a hypothetical though...not a personal example. However, I don't leave a lot of extra money in joint checking beyond what is needed for bills and expected monthly expenditures. I don't want a lot of extra money sitting around in an account that gains 0% interest.

Last edited by Mickey Carson; 11-24-2017 at 05:14 PM.
    Old 11-24-2017, 05:39 PM   #149
    gocubsgo3822
    American #1

Shows Seen: 152

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dre2142 View Post
    just dont see nor have the need. when we were younger we went a little crazy with credit and just avoid it now.

though i do have a company card in my name with my job that i use quite frequently for business but the company pays that off each month. (200-300k per year roughly, twice that during an election year)
    How do you check into hotels on personal time?
    Quote:
    wow that was a classic ricky deflection ™
    gocubsgo3822 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-24-2017, 05:43 PM   #150
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rconverse View Post
    While I can understand people who pool everything into one account and then just keep that one account, I can absolutely understand something where you have a joint account where everything goes and then separate checking accounts with the portion of your budget that's for incidentals.

Think about it....If you have one account and everything is pulled from that account and you have an "incidental" budget of x, the only way to track x is by tracking all spending. With a separate account, you just kind of know that what's in there is there to be spent by you, regardless of what you spend it on. That doesn't mean if you want to spend more, you can't, it just kind of forces you to communicate with the other person that you'd like to spend a little extra on whatever it is. The other person could come to you with the same request. That's the benefit of having the money go to separate spending accounts. By keeping one joint account relatively unchanged, there's no need to monitor it. I'm not saying it's for everyone, I just don't see it as a confusing concept.
    If you need to keep track of incedentals then you probably aren’t in a position to be splitting direct deposits into 2-4 different accounts anyways.

I’m not going to give a shit if my wife buys a $5 coffee or buys herself a new pair of jeans. Keeping track of all of that is not only exhausting but it seems like a huge waste of time.