Official Phish Discussion - Page 2247 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-14-2021, 09:39 AM   #67381
TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Official Phish Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
I think she's starting to realize this. I told her no pressure and hold out until closer to the dates. Everyone is trying to score right now since dates are fresh. Gonna get those that have to bail closer to.

But even closer to I'm curious how much will be available this year. Just for peace of mind, I'd probably fork over secondary market prices just to get in.
Feel like a lot of people are already resorting to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
TheLastPig is online now   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-14-2021, 10:53 AM   #67382
    crush_me_16125

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    Why is dicks such a sought after venue? It’s in the middle of Denver. It’s not pretty like the gorge or red rocks. Is not MGM or MSG. What’s the appeal?
    That is a completely fair question. I think a lot goes into the reasons for it. First, a lot of the time Dicks is sort of a standalone run in which there aren’t shows being done in the dates surrounding it, and/or it is one of the only shows in that general geographical location for the entire year. Then if you factor in that a number of the early shows often contained something “special“, like the spelling things out in sets, bust outs, etc. It then sort of naturally developed into a Phish destination venue if you will, with people coming in from all over the country similar to some of their other destinations spots like MSG. So then with that you get a particular energy or vibe in the crowd that can then make the show even more special. Then show start to sell out, become a more difficult ticket each year, and the hype cycle sort of feeds itself. Plus Denver is a great city and it’s a great time of year. So lots of things make it desirable.

All that being said, for me the luster of Dicks has faded, mainly after my last experience there.I’ve been there twice, first run was the “THANK YOU” encore year, and it was a great run of shows with a fantastic crowd and just really awesome. I didn’t go back again until 2019, and it was a completely different experience. The first night did have that energy that only few venues have, but the other two did not. Plus I was really under impressed with the crowd, to say the least. For the most part people were just flat out rude, it was a very un-Phishy vibe both the second and third nights. Part of the problem is the entire venue is general admission, even the stands. Which theoretically isn’t a terrible idea, the problem is how people than act when it’s essentially a free-for-all. So for example the one day we went in like literally two hours early, not even trying to grab particularly great seats just something reasonably in front of the stage, and it was still almost impossible to get four seats together because people were just ridiculous about seat hoarding. For example this one group had two- three people blocking literally 2 ENTIRE ROWS of one section, with all kinds of shit spread out literally like roped off. And they were also just fucking rude about it, like the one dude was just a giant meat head with like a flat brim hat who literally seemed like he was trying to fight people if they even walked close to their roped off section. Now he was an extreme example, but smaller versions of that we’re ramped. People coming in saving huge amounts of seats being really rude when you were there and just trying to sit down with a couple people, and then their friends would not show up until right before the show, or sometimes not even at all, and then small groups of people had these essentially blocked off areas while others couldnt even find a spot to sit with three of their friends. It was just honestky pretty ridiculous.

All that aside, you also factor in that at least in the past several years the Dicks shows haven’t even particularly been that good. Because they are often standalone the band is a usually little rusty, and at least in my personal experiences that last Dicks run had Two of my least favorites of the 11 shows I went to that year, and the run as a whole was probably my least favorite run that I’ve been to in the past several years.

So that was a long response, and potentially not fair based off of my small sample size, but yeah I said all that to agree with you that I personally don’t see the huge draw to Dicks anymore (tehehe).
    crush_me_16125 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-14-2021, 02:06 PM   #67383
    mr. testaverde
    King of Prussia

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

the hype of Dicks far exceeds the overall quality of shows they have played there.
    Old 05-14-2021, 02:29 PM   #67384
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Not tour related, but for those in the market for new audio equipment/who demo equipment/audiophiles needing a new reference track; my old man is in the process of upgrading his whole system and asked for recommendations to test stuff out in-store. One of the tracks he said blew him away (as well as the sales associate at the Magnolia Center) was the studio version of Stash.

Great mix of high frequencies and bass, with a lot of good instrument separation.
    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-14-2021, 04:25 PM   #67385
    dmbfd15

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I have yet to find a better sounding album on my new setup than the Picture of Nectar LP.
    dmbfd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-14-2021, 05:23 PM   #67386
    RAPUNZEL13
    They Attack!

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I really need to get that vinyl. Sad I don’t have it in the collection.
    Old 05-14-2021, 05:37 PM   #67387
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbfd15 View Post
    I have yet to find a better sounding album on my new setup than the Picture of Nectar LP.
    Nectar and Rift are my go-to Phish studio albums on vinyl. Filled by Billy Breathes and Ghost. Nectar is definitely top of the list. Dynamics are insanely good!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RAPUNZEL13 View Post
    I really need to get that vinyl. Sad I don’t have it in the collection.
    I have to think we’ll see that next up as a reissue. They’ve done Junta and Lawn Boy on colored vinyl now, from the same Chris Bellman stampers, so I have to think they’ll cover the entire series.
    Old 05-15-2021, 09:02 AM   #67388
    RAPUNZEL13
    They Attack!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Nectar and Rift are my go-to Phish studio albums on vinyl. Filled by Billy Breathes and Ghost. Nectar is definitely top of the list. Dynamics are insanely good!

I have to think we’ll see that next up as a reissue. They’ve done Junta and Lawn Boy on colored vinyl now, from the same Chris Bellman stampers, so I have to think they’ll cover the entire series.
    I think so too!! I am slowly getting everything Phish. Still need a few

Also: Phish Miami NYE?? I would be stoked.
    Old 05-15-2021, 09:18 AM   #67389
    ricky towel

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Fuckin Oysterhead is playing this year.
    ricky towel is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-15-2021, 09:31 AM   #67390
    zajDmB1

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

MSG has a handful of dec shows so looking good for nye
    zajDmB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-15-2021, 09:42 AM   #67391
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ricky towel View Post
    Fuckin Oysterhead is playing this year.
    As irritated I am for no Goose or Billy Strings at peach, being there for the first time back when Trey picks up the electric in front of a full crowd is going to be awesome.

Quote:
    Old 05-15-2021, 09:48 AM   #67392
    crush_me_16125

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah Peach lineup is insane. I’ve never considered that fest because I’ve heard not so great things about the venue, but if they keep dropping lineups like that it’s going to become a must one of these years.
    Old 05-15-2021, 10:02 AM   #67393
    ricky towel

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    As irritated I am for no Goose or Billy Strings at peach, being there for the first time back when Trey picks up the electric in front of a full crowd is going to be awesome.
    Someone told me closer to the event they sell 1 day passes. Is that true?
    ricky towel is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-15-2021, 10:03 AM   #67394
    crush_me_16125

My Tour Central Stats

Also, add me to the list of ISO Tahoe. Got great SF tickets and Oregon tickets FT. Obviously cash as well.
    Old 05-15-2021, 10:46 AM   #67395
    LowEnd_Theory
    ...the cool-out breed

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Man, so stoked that Phish is back.

I've got SF tix but I'm looking to get to those Eugene shows instead now. I could buy some shitty seats that are still leftover and try to find some better ones between now and the shows-- that would assume that those shows will both be sold out and I can sell em on lot or something-- 12k capacity, I'm assuming all these shows should be sold out eventually. Tues/wed Phish in Eugene bodes well in my mind for some fire sleeper shows though.

I know there's a full moon every night. When I dress black it snows white...
    LowEnd_Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-15-2021, 10:49 AM   #67396
    RAPUNZEL13
    They Attack!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zajDmB1 View Post
    MSG has a handful of dec shows so looking good for nye
    Trey mentioned Miami on his show last night. Why I mentioned it.
    Old 05-15-2021, 11:05 AM   #67397
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    What was said?

Quote:
    Old 05-15-2021, 12:13 PM   #67398
    crush_me_16125

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LowEnd_Theory View Post

I've got SF tix but I'm looking to get to those Eugene shows instead now. I could buy some shitty seats that are still leftover and try to find some better ones between now and the shows-- that would assume that those shows will both be sold out and I can sell em on lot or something-- 12k capacity, I'm assuming all these shows should be sold out eventually. Tues/wed Phish in Eugene bodes well in my mind for some fire sleeper shows though.
    Agreed that Eugene has sleeper written all over it.

I have decent Eugene N1 tickets, sec 208 which is not stellar obviously way better than the behind the stages which is all that’s left. I won’t be going, so if they aren’t part of a trade I do I’ll sell them to you in you want em (of course face and fees only). Will let you know in a week or so after the lottery.
    Old 05-15-2021, 12:32 PM   #67399
    RAPUNZEL13
    They Attack!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    What was said?
    My buddy texted me Trey said:

“ remember when we did nye in Miami, that was a lotta fun should do it again”
    Old 05-15-2021, 01:10 PM   #67400
    NextMovement41
    BBQ BEER FREEDOM

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LowEnd_Theory View Post

Nice to see you around these parts, enjoy those shows! Band showing the love to the left coast
    Old 05-15-2021, 05:44 PM   #67401
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crush_me_16125 View Post
    That is a completely fair question. I think a lot goes into the reasons for it. First, a lot of the time Dicks is sort of a standalone run in which there aren’t shows being done in the dates surrounding it, and/or it is one of the only shows in that general geographical location for the entire year. Then if you factor in that a number of the early shows often contained something “special“, like the spelling things out in sets, bust outs, etc. It then sort of naturally developed into a Phish destination venue if you will, with people coming in from all over the country similar to some of their other destinations spots like MSG. So then with that you get a particular energy or vibe in the crowd that can then make the show even more special. Then show start to sell out, become a more difficult ticket each year, and the hype cycle sort of feeds itself. Plus Denver is a great city and it’s a great time of year. So lots of things make it desirable.

All that being said, for me the luster of Dicks has faded, mainly after my last experience there.I’ve been there twice, first run was the “THANK YOU” encore year, and it was a great run of shows with a fantastic crowd and just really awesome. I didn’t go back again until 2019, and it was a completely different experience. The first night did have that energy that only few venues have, but the other two did not. Plus I was really under impressed with the crowd, to say the least. For the most part people were just flat out rude, it was a very un-Phishy vibe both the second and third nights. Part of the problem is the entire venue is general admission, even the stands. Which theoretically isn’t a terrible idea, the problem is how people than act when it’s essentially a free-for-all. So for example the one day we went in like literally two hours early, not even trying to grab particularly great seats just something reasonably in front of the stage, and it was still almost impossible to get four seats together because people were just ridiculous about seat hoarding. For example this one group had two- three people blocking literally 2 ENTIRE ROWS of one section, with all kinds of shit spread out literally like roped off. And they were also just fucking rude about it, like the one dude was just a giant meat head with like a flat brim hat who literally seemed like he was trying to fight people if they even walked close to their roped off section. Now he was an extreme example, but smaller versions of that we’re ramped. People coming in saving huge amounts of seats being really rude when you were there and just trying to sit down with a couple people, and then their friends would not show up until right before the show, or sometimes not even at all, and then small groups of people had these essentially blocked off areas while others couldnt even find a spot to sit with three of their friends. It was just honestky pretty ridiculous.

All that aside, you also factor in that at least in the past several years the Dicks shows haven’t even particularly been that good. Because they are often standalone the band is a usually little rusty, and at least in my personal experiences that last Dicks run had Two of my least favorites of the 11 shows I went to that year, and the run as a whole was probably my least favorite run that I’ve been to in the past several years.

So that was a long response, and potentially not fair based off of my small sample size, but yeah I said all that to agree with you that I personally don’t see the huge draw to Dicks anymore (tehehe).
    The biggest draw is the puns

That’s crazy that people rope stuff off. I understand saving a seat for a buddy or 2 if they are getting a poster or beer... but a whole fucking section? That’s shitty.

We have talked about this, but holy shit dmb and phish need to switch up venues in the state of Colorado. Would love to see phish do Telluride, I would love to see it again, but it’s basically a damn pipe dream. It’s more likely they would play in my hometown of Brandon fucking MS. That’s sad. Oh well.
    Old 05-15-2021, 05:46 PM   #67402
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

Telluride isn’t a proper venue, and I’d imagine it’s tough to get trucks down there. I would fucking love it tough.
    Old 05-15-2021, 06:44 PM   #67403
    mr. testaverde
    King of Prussia

My Tour Central Stats

Seeing phish in telluride back in 2010 is one of my favorite experiences

Shows themselves were nothing to write home about but holy fuck the location and the entire vibe surrounding that weekend was undescribeable
    Old 05-15-2021, 07:18 PM   #67404
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr. testaverde View Post
    Seeing phish in telluride back in 2010 is one of my favorite experiences

Shows themselves were nothing to write home about but holy fuck the location and the entire vibe surrounding that weekend was undescribeable
    So lucky to see phish here. I live in telluride now. Love it.
    Old 05-15-2021, 07:21 PM   #67405
    mr. testaverde
    King of Prussia

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    So lucky to see phish here. I live in telluride now. Love it.
    Good for you! Im obsessed with the town as a result of the phish weekend and have been back a few times since

Best town in america
    Old 05-15-2021, 07:23 PM   #67406
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr. testaverde View Post
    Good for you! Im obsessed with the town as a result of the phish weekend and have been back a few times since

Best town in america
    Let me know if you come back anytime soon. Would love to grab a beer.
    Old 05-16-2021, 08:37 AM   #67407
    crush_me_16125

My Tour Central Stats

I had forgotten that Phish played Telluride but that would be awesome if they did again. Or Red Rocks.

They could easily do one of those as run ins to Dicks and not like they’d have trouble selling tickets to both.
    Old 05-16-2021, 08:44 AM   #67408
    crush_me_16125

My Tour Central Stats

Well shit AC Saturday and Gorge Saturday both officially sold out. DAMN!

Good for them, that’s super impressive actually. I don’t think they’ve ever sold out Gorge, although I did think it might be possible this year. AC it wasn’t even on my radar. I wonder what the event is permitted at, supposed Pink has 50k people a few years ago. Cant imagine Phish selling 50k GA tickets for AC in the middle of a fairly big tour, but who knows. Either way, impressive.
    Old 05-16-2021, 02:09 PM   #67409
    zajDmB1

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Ah, I mean....maybe MSG has restrictions they aren’t sure will be lifted and don’t want to deal with, compared to Miami which I’m sure is guaranteed business as usual by then even if there’s a worse surge .

But I dunno...first nye back from covid in Miami over msg?
    zajDmB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2021, 03:56 PM   #67410
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crush_me_16125 View Post
    Well shit AC Saturday and Gorge Saturday both officially sold out. DAMN!

Good for them, that’s super impressive actually. I don’t think they’ve ever sold out Gorge, although I did think it might be possible this year. AC it wasn’t even on my radar. I wonder what the event is permitted at, supposed Pink has 50k people a few years ago. Cant imagine Phish selling 50k GA tickets for AC in the middle of a fairly big tour, but who knows. Either way, impressive.
    Damn, that’s impressive.

Clearly there’s huge pent up demand for this!

Tags
    phish