New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 65 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-15-2021, 07:55 PM   #1921
Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Fonzi is a damn good pocket player, that's where he shines. His solo, lead, and improvisational (over new material) instincts aren't the gravity that makes the new jam cool, but in a pocket capacity nobody holds it down better.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-15-2021, 08:03 PM   #1922
    joeyray34

Shows Seen: 103

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Fonz bass playing is as great as how awful his tweets are.
    joeyray34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2021, 06:52 AM   #1923
    ericvol

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I wish we had any idea when we will hear about the album....
    Old 05-16-2021, 06:57 AM   #1924
    seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Seriously. Release a single or something already please, it's been like six months since they started talking about it.
    Old 05-16-2021, 08:31 AM   #1925
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree with the comment and I think it makes sense when explained. He was picked to be part of the band because he was a young bass playing prodigy, he's an absolutely great player and writer and has come up with the foundation of some of the biggest fan favorite songs. I get how saying "least talented" could be perceived as a slight but the poster is just saying relative to the others. The only band member I'd say he was hands down more talented than was Boyd, not a knock on Stefan but a compliment to the band as a whole.

Obviously they all have different skill sets but I don't think it's hard to tell strengths and weaknesses of a group, compare Carter to Boyd for example.
    Going to make one last note about Stefan.

Measuring someone’s talents against another can be a tough thing to do, and unfair, especially if people are basing this on what they hear vs. what they know about music. Additionally you’re comparing bass to drums to songwriting to lead guitar. All different things that bring their own element to a bands sound. Bass players are often incredibly underrated musicians, but I find them to be some of the most well rounded and have incredible ears for detail. Victor Wooten is a very obvious choice for calling out as an incredible bass player. He’s flashy, he’s technically proficient, he’s just that good, and you see and hear it when he plays. But that doesn’t mean Stefan isn’t an extremely talented bass player and musician. Stefan has an amazing ear and is more than just an “in the pocket” player. He’s melodic, funky, proficient, technical, and knows his role. He has to keep up with one of the all-time greats in Carter, while weaving in and out of complex song structures created by Dave. Bass players and drummers can make or break a band, and as I’ve said about Carter before, you don’t have DMB without Stefan. He brings far more to the table than he gets credit for. A great bass player fills out a bands sound more than people realize.

Speaking from experience, my band was looking for a bass player when we started out and went through a couple until we found the right guy. When Phil started playing to my originals it was an immediate difference in our sound. We would not be as a good a band as we are without him and I’ve become a better songwriter because of him (and the other guys of course). He’s the glue that holds it all down, and I’d argue Stefan is too. Which is so key to a bands sound and success.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2021, 08:35 AM   #1926
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

If they release a single at all, expect them to follow past precedent. It’ll probably be the week before or of the start of the tour.
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2021, 08:38 AM   #1927
    DMBCardinal

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

You know there is no new album news when the discussion turns into a debate about how talented Stefan is. Please DMB, give us something.

My brief opinion. Stefan is great at his roll in the band. He doesn’t stand out, but I don’t think he is supposed to. He holds everything together with Carter.
    DMBCardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2021, 08:51 AM   #1928
    Dannyyankou

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBCardinal View Post
    You know there is no new album news when the discussion turns into a debate about how talented Stefan is. Please DMB, give us something.

My brief opinion. Stefan is great at his roll in the band. He doesn’t stand out, but I don’t think he is supposed to. He holds everything together with Carter.

Which is exactly what a great bassist is supposed to be. If people want to hear a 5 minute bass solo, they can listen to Victor Wooten (not a knock on him, they’re just two different types of players).
    Old 05-16-2021, 09:59 AM   #1929
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBCardinal View Post
    I disagree on him standing out. Out of the gate on Warehouse, Jimi Thing, Minarets, and many others, his bass playing grabbed me. Everyone else was obvious and deliberate in how they were featured, but Fonz actually made me regret playing guitar over bass. I wanted that role in a band and didn't really realize until hearing DMB. Which brought me back to realizing how much McCartney, Sting, Family Man, Talbot (& Drummond), David Brown, John Paul Jones, and so many others brought everything together. The bass is the connect between rhythm & harmony.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post

Which is exactly what a great bassist is supposed to be. If people want to hear a 5 minute bass solo, they can listen to Victor Wooten (not a knock on him, they’re just two different types of players).
    I get you, but again, bassists can be heard and seen. Power trios demand that each instrument is heard, but even in a fuller band setting Chris Squire, John Entwhistle, JPJ (again) stood out loud and clear. They usually are the connecting tissue, but also so much more.

It's funny that the two musicians that are most often given the role of musical director for bands are:

- piano, which makes all the sense in the world as it is essentially the foundation of western music

AND

- bass players, seemingly less obvious, but they need to know the rhythm inside and out as well as the harmony they are often outlining for the band
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2021, 10:54 AM   #1930
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post

Measuring someone’s talents against another can be a tough thing to do, and unfair, especially if people are basing this on what they hear vs. what they know about music. Additionally you’re comparing bass to drums to songwriting to lead guitar. All different things that bring their own element to a bands sound. Bass players are often incredibly underrated musicians, but I find them to be some of the most well rounded and have incredible ears for detail. Victor Wooten is a very obvious choice for calling out as an incredible bass player. He’s flashy, he’s technically proficient, he’s just that good, and you see and hear it when he plays. But that doesn’t mean Stefan isn’t an extremely talented bass player and musician. Stefan has an amazing ear and is more than just an “in the pocket” player. He’s melodic, funky, proficient, technical, and knows his role. He has to keep up with one of the all-time greats in Carter, while weaving in and out of complex song structures created by Dave. Bass players and drummers can make or break a band, and as I’ve said about Carter before, you don’t have DMB without Stefan. He brings far more to the table than he gets credit for. A great bass player fills out a bands sound more than people realize.

Speaking from experience, my band was looking for a bass player when we started out and went through a couple until we found the right guy. When Phil started playing to my originals it was an immediate difference in our sound. We would not be as a good a band as we are without him and I’ve become a better songwriter because of him (and the other guys of course). He’s the glue that holds it all down, and I’d argue Stefan is too. Which is so key to a bands sound and success.

I get what you’re saying Kevin, thanks for the explanation.
    The comparison with Wooten made me think a lot.
    For a moment, my point was that if you’d change Fonz with another high level bass player, nothing would really change. The same cannot be told for the others.
    But apparently I was wrong, and since I am not a musician but just a fan, you guys are probably right.
    Old 05-16-2021, 11:37 AM   #1931
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Feels like this is slowly turning into “What Album?”, much like the last one
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2021, 02:41 PM   #1932
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Feels like this is slowly turning into “What Album?”, much like the last one
    I mean at least this time they’ve actually acknowledged its existence, which they never did for the 2nd Cavallo album.
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2021, 02:57 PM   #1933
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post

Yeah I mean nothing you are saying about Stefan here or bass in general are things I'm unaware of. I understand his skill set, what he brings to the band, why he was brought into the band, etc. It was a simple point made by Xcacel and although I wouldn't go out and make the point myself I don't necessarily disagree with it considering the reasons he provided.

Glad to hear you are happy with the current lineup
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2021, 02:58 PM   #1934
    Bearclaw_

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

The news will come. Be patient.

This tour still be full of the new album.
    Bearclaw_ is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2021, 05:31 PM   #1935
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 View Post
    I mean at least this time they’ve actually acknowledged its existence, which they never did for the 2nd Cavallo album.
    Weren’t the sheet music pics of “Bob Law” and maybe Bismarck posted by Rashawn or someone in the band during/shortly after the 2016 tour?
    Old 05-16-2021, 05:33 PM   #1936
    madhatter

Shows Seen: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Weren’t the sheet music pics of “Bob Law” and maybe Bismarck posted by Rashawn or someone in the band during/shortly after the 2016 tour?
    I don't recall when exactly, but it was Bob Law, Bismarck, and Here On Out, posted by a viola player for the orchestra.
    madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2021, 05:34 PM   #1937
    madhatter

My Tour Central Stats

Rashawn also posted some videos of them recording the strings and/or horns, from what I recall.
    Old 05-16-2021, 05:43 PM   #1938
    madhatter

My Tour Central Stats

That Instagram leak was almost exactly six years ago: https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/s...333594&page=89
    Old 05-16-2021, 08:02 PM   #1939
    Dannyyankou

My Tour Central Stats

3 years later and I still can’t get over that for Idea Of You, they cut and pasted the live intro from the summer warm up video on YouTube and used that on the album, on a 12 year demo nonetheless. Rashawn said “the album version should be how we do it live”, and I don’t think that’s what he meant lol

Last edited by Dannyyankou; 05-16-2021 at 08:04 PM.
    Old 05-16-2021, 08:13 PM   #1940
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    3 years later and I still can’t get over that for Idea Of You, they cut and pasted the live intro from the summer warm up video on YouTube and used that on the album, on a 12 year demo nonetheless. Rashawn said “the album version should be how we do it live”, and I don’t think that’s what he meant lol
    Yeah... they should’ve just went straight into the song, left the intro for live performances only
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2021, 08:36 PM   #1941
    bowa36

Shows Seen: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Why so secretive about everything?
    Old 05-16-2021, 08:36 PM   #1942
    bowa36

Shows Seen: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That has always been so strange to me.
    Old 05-16-2021, 09:23 PM   #1943
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bowa36 View Post
    That has always been so strange to me.
    He bad cut mid song is even worse. It sounds so bad I can’t believe they left it like that. Just seems lazy to me.
    Old 05-17-2021, 05:38 AM   #1944
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

What a disappointing track Idea of You became. There’s elements of it I enjoy, but overall it’s really not that good. Carter’s drums sound like shit, and then that terrible beat he plays during the chorus...it sounds like a decent demo at best.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2021, 05:40 AM   #1945
    madhatter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    Yeah... they should’ve just went straight into the song, left the intro for live performances only
    I seem to be in the minority that really likes the intro on the album.
    Old 05-17-2021, 06:28 AM   #1946
    ericvol

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    I seem to be in the minority that really likes the intro on the album.
    Yea I enjoy that touch as well and think it transitions well.
    Old 05-17-2021, 07:02 AM   #1947
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Idea of You was bastardized on Come Tomorrow.

And truncating the outro for some weird sirens on Black and Blue Bird - chopping off the best piece of music that could have been on the album, was dumb.

Just a terrible album. It was produced by multiple people and it shows. It’s a Frankenstein monster.
    Old 05-17-2021, 07:05 AM   #1948
    BearambleAmble

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

And truncating the outro for some weird sirens on Black and Blue Bird - chopping off the best piece of music that could have been on the album, was dumb.

Just a terrible album. It was produced by multiple people and it shows. It’s a Frankenstein monster.
    Great way to put it. I liked both those songs prior to the album but never listen to the studio cut of either. Both would be +1 at a show for me
    BearambleAmble is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2021, 07:08 AM   #1949
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Terribly sequenced, inconsistent to terrible production. Sirens were definitely Cavallo's biggest mistake on that record. At least the songs he produced are the best songs.

On the Idea of You specifically, it's so clear they didn't actually care. 95 percent of the years they played the song, Carter did not play that chorus groove. They heard how it sounded from the old Batson sessions and didn't bother to change it.

I guess you could say Carter heard it and went "no that way, can't believe I haven't been doing it like that." Somehow I doubt that though.
    Old 05-17-2021, 07:12 AM   #1950
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Will always be a solid album imo, favorite since early 00's, the way they did Idea of You is pretty lame and I'd probably say the same for B&BB but I don't really care about the song
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote