Request Monkey Man - Friday 7/3: Dave Matthews “Live From Home: By Request” Set - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-17-2020, 06:49 PM   #31
TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 53

Re: Request Monkey Man - Friday 7/3: Dave Matthews “Live From Home: By Request” Set

Any word on how this will work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-17-2020, 06:55 PM   #32
    Cobo

Shows Seen: 29

Re: Request Monkey Man - Friday 7/3: Dave Matthews “Live From Home: By Request” Set

You know he’s going to play the same-or very similar-solo set like he always does and just say the songs were “requested.” Pretty much every song in the catalog will probably be requested anyway.
    Cobo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-17-2020, 06:57 PM   #33
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 53

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cobo View Post
    You know he’s going to play the same-or very similar-solo set like he always does and just say the songs were “requested.” Pretty much every song in the catalog will probably be requested anyway.
    Yea we probably get a snow outside and a cry freedom as the deepest tracks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-17-2020, 07:00 PM   #34
    monizzle145

Shows Seen: 23

Some of yall want Bismark? Bismark we talking about Bismark...Not build you a house. dream so real, or Blue Water but Bismark. Great song should have been part of come tomorrow but there are plenty of gems people should focus on before Bismark.

Also Monkey Man is a waste of a vote. Dave won't perform that even if he busts out other rare songs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Monizzle145
    monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-17-2020, 07:26 PM   #35
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 28

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilant420 View Post
    As always, it just shows how delusional some people are around here thinking MM and/or Blue Water will get played.

Anyone want to take some action? +1250 for either song. LMK.
    Blue Water has no place being mentioned alongside Monkey Man.

Blue Water still gets some play. We got it at SPAC last year. Have also gotten a full BW D&T

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShotgunDMB
    You probably know more about this stuff than I do.
    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-17-2020, 07:47 PM   #36
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 45

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monizzle145 View Post
    Some of yall want Bismark? Bismark we talking about Bismark...Not build you a house. dream so real, or Blue Water but Bismark. Great song should have been part of come tomorrow but there are plenty of gems people should focus on before Bismark.

Also Monkey Man is a waste of a vote. Dave won't perform that even if he busts out other rare songs.
    I think it's because they are going with realistic options. Dave ain't playing BYAH or ADSR on the spot
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-17-2020, 07:58 PM   #37
    smb41

Shows Seen: 26

I don't think I'll be voting for songs in the Stone/Dreaming Tree/PFWYG realm. As great and as rare as those songs are, they're still played sporadically and we have solid Dave solo versions for most of them. The way I see it, this is an opportunity to (1) hear songs that we almost definitely wouldn't hear otherwise, and to (2) hear good songs that have never been played Dave solo before. Depending on how the voting is formatted, I'll probably be voting for a mix of songs from both categories: Blue Water, #40 (I know both of these are teased often, but they'd still be cool to hear in this format), and even Batson Sessions songs like Early Home and Drive Me Away...and then songs like YNK, R&R, JTR, Shotgun, etc. that haven't been played by Dave solo.

I think a song like Monkey Man would likely be laughed at, but I think at least a handful of the Batson Sessions songs are recent enough (and possibly still being worked on based on various accounts?) to be considered.
    Old 06-17-2020, 08:06 PM   #38
    wlperie

Shows Seen: 1

These home sessions brought back Grey Street 3rd verse. Anything can happen.
    wlperie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-17-2020, 08:54 PM   #39
    Patrick813

Shows Seen: 14

Quote:
    Originally Posted by haiku.warrior View Post
    If we're dreaming the dream, Heathcliff's Haiku Warriors would be amazing.
    Username checks out
    Patrick813 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-17-2020, 08:55 PM   #40
    haiku.warrior
    RIP 3.23.93 to 11.9.93

Shows Seen: 2

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patrick813 View Post
    Username checks out
    Haha, yeah

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveshookme View Post
    fuck the haters, sledgehammer slaps
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kyledmb View Post
    heathcliff's haiku warriors, please.
    haiku.warrior is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-17-2020, 09:10 PM   #41
    daspfund22

Shows Seen: 38
    Send a message via AIM to daspfund22

Let you down and #40 are mine
    daspfund22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-17-2020, 09:11 PM   #42
    daspfund22

Shows Seen: 38
    Send a message via AIM to daspfund22

But in reality I’d just like to hear something that he hasn’t played yet on all his solo endeavors to have more Dave solo to hear
    daspfund22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-17-2020, 09:34 PM   #43
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

Shows Seen: 19

I'm requesting True Reflections. Don't at me.
    Old 06-17-2020, 09:57 PM   #44
    jasonfilatov

Shows Seen: 67

There should be a forms vote and submission process from the entire ants community
    Old 06-17-2020, 10:20 PM   #45
    IndyDMB

Shows Seen: 100

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilant420 View Post
    As always, it just shows how delusional some people are around here thinking MM and/or Blue Water will get played.

Anyone want to take some action? +1250 for either song. LMK.
    This reminds me of a Riverbend post.

2021 - Deer Creek
    IndyDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-17-2020, 10:22 PM   #46
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 69

I didn't backroad this whole thread but my guess is we're gonna get a list of songs to choose from and Monkey Man, nor Machead, will be on it, lol.
    Old 06-17-2020, 10:47 PM   #47
    Bearclaw_

Shows Seen: 11

I’m optimistic and think anything can happen. 2020 was going to be a solid year.

I say we decide on voting for one deep song and I bet we get it.
    Bearclaw_ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2020, 02:10 AM   #48
    Gjimmy

Shows Seen: 28

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cobo View Post
    This. ^^^^^
    Gjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2020, 04:16 AM   #49
    CapnHani06
    The One Bad Man

Shows Seen: 20

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
    I doubt he even knows what Monkey Man is now and not only that, from all accounts I've heard, the version we know from tLWS was an early version and the final version was very different. Maybe try a song that he remembers like Spotlight or something to that effect.
    I've also heard this but disagree that he doesn't know what it is—it's on LWS. I've always found it hard to believe that Dave isn't intimately familiar with what's on that disc; I'd imagine that he and the band have spent an unreal amount of time obsessing about the tracks on that leak and all of their imperfections.

I think it simply fell by the wayside then out of favor due to the flood of other songs being written and recorded at that time. But he knows it. Goddamit
    I got 16 CDs in the mail on Saturday. I am now going door to door asking people if they have found Dave and accepted him into their lives. If they say no I hand them a CD. My neighbors think I'm a little off but they seem to like the music.

Last edited by CapnHani06; 06-18-2020 at 04:17 AM.
    CapnHani06 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2020, 07:12 AM   #50
    Madnana
    Smoke the Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 14

Might as well request DOOF. It's just as likely to be played.
    Madnana is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2020, 08:29 AM   #51
    ClearlakeSun25

Shows Seen: 20

#40 for me. Build you a house is better than Monkey Man imo
    ClearlakeSun25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2020, 08:40 AM   #52
    wmg21
    shoot straight

Shows Seen: 55

I'd be shocked if we get anything off the liberation list, but I do think that #40 could be possible and might scratch the "rare-but-not-too-rare" itch. That is, assuming Dave actually has any intention of this being different than any other solo set/livestream.
    wmg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2020, 09:10 AM   #53
    twostepr41

Shows Seen: 32
    Send a message via AIM to twostepr41

DDTW or Bartender, Crush, OSW, Windows or Mercy, Satellite and maybe Ants. That's what you'll get.
    twostepr41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2020, 09:14 AM   #54
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 29

This is a good opportunity for him to recognize some old deep cuts that the fan base wants to hear in the future. I don’t think he’d play anything too crazy by himself on a live stream, but it could give him some ideas to work on for the 2021 tour.

We need to put out requests like Monkey Man, Kit Kat Jam, Busted Stuff, Kill the King, Crazy Easy, Too High, Drive in Drive Out, You Never Know, Spoon, Dreaming Tree, etc. just in case a few of them stick in his head.

As far as what he would actually play by himself on a live stream, I could see him going with something like Baby Blue
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2020, 09:20 AM   #55
    raven rr
    summer tour :woot

Shows Seen: 96

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    Any word on how this will work?
    This.

Any info out there?
    Old 06-18-2020, 09:27 AM   #56
    dmbclstj2

Shows Seen: 71

Not yet, XM has said details will be released at a later date on how that will work.
    dmbclstj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2020, 09:41 AM   #57
    tubaguy1145

Shows Seen: 16

Clown gets my vote. It’s not beyond possibility that he would play it: it’s a Dave solo song, played recently, and Dave has said (in an interview or maybe at a show a few years ago) that he likes it.
    Old 06-18-2020, 10:21 AM   #58
    cpxc.

Shows Seen: 106

Voting for Early Home
    Old 06-18-2020, 10:29 AM   #59
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 31

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monizzle145 View Post
    Some of yall want Bismark? Bismark we talking about Bismark...Not build you a house, dream so real, or Blue Water but Bismark. Great song should have been part of come tomorrow but there are plenty of gems people should focus on before Bismark.

I decided to post the above when I was reading through the first page...

Since hearing it, it filled in a influence "hole" for the band to my ears, showing that 10,000 Maniacs and Natalie Merchant's melodic motifs were something Dave and the band were paying attention to. This will likely be my request despite the slim odds.

I feel like we particularly zealous fans should use this as an opportunity to let him/management know or remind them that lots of fans celebrate far more than just the hits, the officially released stuff (deep cuts and the like), and the unreleased stuff that gets played on almost every tour (albeit sparingly). We have an opportunity provide a suggestion of songs that are largely ignored or at least woefully under represented in any setting.

Do I think it will make those songs suddenly appear at any point, let alone get a few plays each tour? Nope, but unlike us shouting into the canyon of social media or preaching to the choir about our shared appreciation of the stuff we feel the band under appreciates, someone will theoretically actually being paying attention to these requests. Do I think it'll be someone important doing the tallying? Of course not, but someone in the organization will definitely take a look at the list...if only for curiosities sake.

Looking forward to this stream and we'll have some fun voting in our house. Which begs the question: will we only get one vote per SiriusXM subscription?
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2020, 10:39 AM   #60
    ForkInFork

Shows Seen: 64

Theres zero chance of this being played or Dave even remembering, but if it were pie in the sky any one choice, I've always wanted to know what came of "Hurricane(fan named)" from that Dave solo private show/soundcheck on Vegas. Realistically I think #40 could be a really good idea because if he knows he's going to play it ahead of time he can write down some lyrics and we could get a pretty full version.
    ForkInFork is offline   Reply With Quote