grace is gone debut - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #91
Quadrophenia92
The river taste me

Shows Seen: 5

Re: grace is gone debut

The progression of this thread is funny. GiG needs BT, Tim's slide is cool but it needs to be turned down. And bring back the ho-down jam!

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #92
    Strangely Brown
    Whatyouseeishuman

Shows Seen: 1

Ho-down alone > #27.

And I love #27.
    Strangely Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #93
    jakesomedevil41

Shows Seen: 39

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lcsulla View Post
    I hope this is a joke. June 1997 and winter 1998 have the best versions of two step. Sure, they can still nail the tune but comparing any to 1997 or 1998 is a losing proposition.

Funny, you say this but I am not sure if you believe it considering you are discounting the people who have seen shows from both eras as bitter old fans with some axe to grind. Most of us will admit we are slightly biased, can you do the same?
    no way i would every say that. i don't even think of 97 when i think of two step. come to think of it, i rarely think of 97. to me that tour wasn't that much different than the 96 tour.
    anyway, i think in 09 the band brought two step to another level and i think in its current form it's as good if not better than it has ever been.
    jakesomedevil41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #94
    davem#36

Shows Seen: 62

I know one thing you cant compare, Boyd 2009-present to Boyd 93-04. He's just not there anymore. Some of the stuff he could do in the 90s blew me away. Practice or no practice it's amazing what he has become. Sad really and I'm a HUGe BT fanboy
    davem#36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #95
    jakesomedevil41

Quote:
    Originally Posted by davem#36 View Post
    I know one thing you cant compare, Boyd 2009-present to Boyd 93-04. He's just not there anymore. Some of the stuff he could do in the 90s blew me away. Practice or no practice it's amazing what he has become. Sad really and I'm a HUGe BT fanboy
    early boyd, like 93-94 boyd is probably my favorite.
    Old 08-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #96
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakesomedevil41 View Post
    no way i would every say that. i don't even think of 97 when i think of two step. come to think of it, i rarely think of 97. to me that tour wasn't that much different than the 96 tour.
    anyway, i think in 09 the band brought two step to another level and i think in its current form it's as good if not better than it has ever been.
    that's sad because the performances in 1997 were hell of a lot better than 1996. lt17 is probably my most coveted release this band has given us.
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #97
    jakesomedevil41

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
    that's sad because the performances in 1997 were hell of a lot better than 1996. lt17 is probably my most coveted release this band has given us.
    i don't think they're noticeably better performances.

not to take anything away from the 97 tour, but it was only the most coveted release because they hadn't released anything from 97 until lt17.

i didn't hear any rumblings from people that they wanted a 97 release because it was a brilliant tour.
    Old 08-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #98
    mray10
    devil's reject

Shows Seen: 38

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakesomedevil41 View Post
    i don't think they're noticeably better performances.

not to take anything away from the 97 tour, but it was only the most coveted release because they hadn't released anything from 97 until lt17.

i didn't hear any rumblings from people that they wanted a 97 release because it was a brilliant tour.
    It all depends on who you listen to, but certainly many many of those who wanted a 97 release (as well as those of us who now want more from that year) wanted it because it was an amazing tour.

The fall 96 shows were pretty strong, not quite at the level of 97, but better than the first half of 96 which for my money is the weakest effort of their touring career from inception through 2001.
    mray10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #99
    jakesomedevil41

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mray10 View Post
    It all depends on who you listen to, but certainly many many of those who wanted a 97 release (as well as those of us who now want more from that year) wanted it because it was an amazing tour.

The fall 96 shows were pretty strong, not quite at the level of 97, but better than the first half of 96 which for my money is the weakest effort of their touring career from inception through 2001.
    well, at least on the boards, people were not saying they wanted a release from 97 because it was phenomenal.

i saw them in the fall of 96 and summer of 97. i don't think there's a huge difference in the two tours. 98 there was a noticeable difference, particularly winter 98.
    Old 06-23-2020, 03:24 PM   #100
    rwrusso

Shows Seen: 10
    Send a message via AIM to rwrusso

Came here looking for possible thoughts on favorite live versions of Grace is Gone. As far as the band...I haven't been to a live show since 2013. Plenty through the 90's and early 2000's though. From listening to live releases but not much past 2011, I feel those last 90's/early 00's shows were the band's best. I'm fine with the newer music (call it post BTCS); I really liked Everyday, LWS/Busted Stuff, and I think there are plenty of good songs on Stand Up and Grux. I think many of those songs play well live. They just don't seem to have the same feel as the earlier stuff. I know that's bound to happen with bands. For me, it's just not the same without Leroi. To me DMB is 5 sounds: Carter's drums, Dave's guitar/vocals, Stefan's bass, Boyd's violin, and Leroi's sax. I loved the addition of Butch on keys, but never thought it made it better, just equally as good. I'm ok with Tim for the most part, but again, not needed full-time. Jeff and Rashawn are great in their own rights, but it's just not the same for me. I'm sure a 20 year difference between being in my 20's and my 40's is part of it as well, as far as the live experience. (Interestingly enough, I enjoy concerts a lot more now that I can afford better seats and not GA lawn.) Maybe I just need to get to another show soon.
    rwrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-24-2020, 04:42 PM   #101
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

TO answer the OP, because, to quote the poet James A. Johnson, Jr., "Cocaine is a helluva drug" ?

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-25-2020, 11:11 AM   #102
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

This thread was an interesting read. I would imagine they dropped Boyd's counterpoint chorus line after a few times of him going out of tune and not switching to a new saw or working around it. That would be earsplitting if he went out of tune or screechy. I mean, that was right around the time that he started delivering more inconsistent performances consistently.

I never thought the slide added much to it. It's a cool concept, but it doesn't add anything close to how Tim's dobro playing does on the studio R&R. The violin really did complete the song, and it's one of the few that I would be completely happy with it appearing only in acoustic sets from Here On Out.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-25-2020, 11:34 AM   #103
    kenticus

Shows Seen: 6

I like it best in current state - think it’s one that benefits from piano and slide guitar vs boyd and the hoedown jam. Nowadays it has a groovy Allman bro’s feel to it that I for one enjoy. Interesting how it’s a song that has no horns on it anymore, which is an interesting decision, wonder why they dropped em?

Of course on a jam like this always miss leroi......i
    kenticus is offline   Reply With Quote