grace is gone debut - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #91
Quadrophenia92
The river taste me
 
Quadrophenia92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,240

Shows Seen: 5

Re: grace is gone debut

The progression of this thread is funny. GiG needs BT, Tim's slide is cool but it needs to be turned down. And bring back the ho-down jam!
__________________
-Forgive you, why? You hung me out to dry
Quadrophenia92 is offline   Reply With Quote

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #92
    Strangely Brown
    Whatyouseeishuman
     
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: Colorado
    Posts: 4,401

    Shows Seen: 1

    Re: grace is gone debut

    Ho-down alone > #27.

    And I love #27.
    Strangely Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #93
    jakesomedevil41
     
    jakesomedevil41's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2006
    Location: New Jersey
    Posts: 2,591

    Shows Seen: 39

    Re: grace is gone debut

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lcsulla View Post
    I hope this is a joke. June 1997 and winter 1998 have the best versions of two step. Sure, they can still nail the tune but comparing any to 1997 or 1998 is a losing proposition.



    Funny, you say this but I am not sure if you believe it considering you are discounting the people who have seen shows from both eras as bitter old fans with some axe to grind. Most of us will admit we are slightly biased, can you do the same?
    no way i would every say that. i don't even think of 97 when i think of two step. come to think of it, i rarely think of 97. to me that tour wasn't that much different than the 96 tour.
    anyway, i think in 09 the band brought two step to another level and i think in its current form it's as good if not better than it has ever been.
    jakesomedevil41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #94
    davem#36
     
    davem#36's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2003
    Location: Rome, GEORGIA
    Posts: 4,394

    Shows Seen: 62

    Re: grace is gone debut

    I know one thing you cant compare, Boyd 2009-present to Boyd 93-04. He's just not there anymore. Some of the stuff he could do in the 90s blew me away. Practice or no practice it's amazing what he has become. Sad really and I'm a HUGe BT fanboy
    __________________
    its a typical situation in these typical times...
    davem#36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #95
    jakesomedevil41
     
    jakesomedevil41's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2006
    Location: New Jersey
    Posts: 2,591

    Shows Seen: 39

    Re: grace is gone debut

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davem#36 View Post
    I know one thing you cant compare, Boyd 2009-present to Boyd 93-04. He's just not there anymore. Some of the stuff he could do in the 90s blew me away. Practice or no practice it's amazing what he has become. Sad really and I'm a HUGe BT fanboy
    early boyd, like 93-94 boyd is probably my favorite.
    jakesomedevil41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #96
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco
     
    cry_minarets458's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2007
    Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then
    Posts: 22,219

    Shows Seen: 62

    Re: grace is gone debut

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakesomedevil41 View Post
    no way i would every say that. i don't even think of 97 when i think of two step. come to think of it, i rarely think of 97. to me that tour wasn't that much different than the 96 tour.
    anyway, i think in 09 the band brought two step to another level and i think in its current form it's as good if not better than it has ever been.
    that's sad because the performances in 1997 were hell of a lot better than 1996. lt17 is probably my most coveted release this band has given us.
    __________________
    Mao's WWYS Quest: fin @ show 39 MattsMarching 1 Gorge Medal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by efraser77 View Post
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #97
    jakesomedevil41
     
    jakesomedevil41's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2006
    Location: New Jersey
    Posts: 2,591

    Shows Seen: 39

    Re: grace is gone debut

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
    that's sad because the performances in 1997 were hell of a lot better than 1996. lt17 is probably my most coveted release this band has given us.
    i don't think they're noticeably better performances.

    not to take anything away from the 97 tour, but it was only the most coveted release because they hadn't released anything from 97 until lt17.

    i didn't hear any rumblings from people that they wanted a 97 release because it was a brilliant tour.
    jakesomedevil41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #98
    mray10
    devil's reject
     
    mray10's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2002
    Location: where gila monsters meet you at the airport
    Posts: 7,164

    Shows Seen: 38

    Re: grace is gone debut

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakesomedevil41 View Post
    i don't think they're noticeably better performances.

    not to take anything away from the 97 tour, but it was only the most coveted release because they hadn't released anything from 97 until lt17.

    i didn't hear any rumblings from people that they wanted a 97 release because it was a brilliant tour.
    It all depends on who you listen to, but certainly many many of those who wanted a 97 release (as well as those of us who now want more from that year) wanted it because it was an amazing tour.

    The fall 96 shows were pretty strong, not quite at the level of 97, but better than the first half of 96 which for my money is the weakest effort of their touring career from inception through 2001.
    mray10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #99
    jakesomedevil41
     
    jakesomedevil41's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2006
    Location: New Jersey
    Posts: 2,591

    Shows Seen: 39

    Re: grace is gone debut

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mray10 View Post
    It all depends on who you listen to, but certainly many many of those who wanted a 97 release (as well as those of us who now want more from that year) wanted it because it was an amazing tour.

    The fall 96 shows were pretty strong, not quite at the level of 97, but better than the first half of 96 which for my money is the weakest effort of their touring career from inception through 2001.
    well, at least on the boards, people were not saying they wanted a release from 97 because it was phenomenal.

    i saw them in the fall of 96 and summer of 97. i don't think there's a huge difference in the two tours. 98 there was a noticeable difference, particularly winter 98.
    jakesomedevil41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2020, 03:24 PM   #100
    rwrusso
     
    Join Date: Apr 2002
    Posts: 75

    Shows Seen: 10
    Send a message via AIM to rwrusso

    Re: grace is gone debut

    Came here looking for possible thoughts on favorite live versions of Grace is Gone. As far as the band...I haven't been to a live show since 2013. Plenty through the 90's and early 2000's though. From listening to live releases but not much past 2011, I feel those last 90's/early 00's shows were the band's best. I'm fine with the newer music (call it post BTCS); I really liked Everyday, LWS/Busted Stuff, and I think there are plenty of good songs on Stand Up and Grux. I think many of those songs play well live. They just don't seem to have the same feel as the earlier stuff. I know that's bound to happen with bands. For me, it's just not the same without Leroi. To me DMB is 5 sounds: Carter's drums, Dave's guitar/vocals, Stefan's bass, Boyd's violin, and Leroi's sax. I loved the addition of Butch on keys, but never thought it made it better, just equally as good. I'm ok with Tim for the most part, but again, not needed full-time. Jeff and Rashawn are great in their own rights, but it's just not the same for me. I'm sure a 20 year difference between being in my 20's and my 40's is part of it as well, as far as the live experience. (Interestingly enough, I enjoy concerts a lot more now that I can afford better seats and not GA lawn.) Maybe I just need to get to another show soon.
    rwrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-24-2020, 04:42 PM   #101
    Dodo36
     
    Dodo36's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2005
    Location: Michigan
    Posts: 489

    Shows Seen: 8

    Re: grace is gone debut

    TO answer the OP, because, to quote the poet James A. Johnson, Jr., "Cocaine is a helluva drug" ?
    __________________
    http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/sh...06#post9604706

    Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-25-2020, 11:11 AM   #102
    Dodo36
     
    Dodo36's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2005
    Location: Michigan
    Posts: 489

    Shows Seen: 8

    Re: grace is gone debut

    This thread was an interesting read. I would imagine they dropped Boyd's counterpoint chorus line after a few times of him going out of tune and not switching to a new saw or working around it. That would be earsplitting if he went out of tune or screechy. I mean, that was right around the time that he started delivering more inconsistent performances consistently.

    I never thought the slide added much to it. It's a cool concept, but it doesn't add anything close to how Tim's dobro playing does on the studio R&R. The violin really did complete the song, and it's one of the few that I would be completely happy with it appearing only in acoustic sets from Here On Out.
    __________________
    http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/sh...06#post9604706

    Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-25-2020, 11:34 AM   #103
    kenticus
     
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Posts: 358

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: grace is gone debut

    I like it best in current state - think it’s one that benefits from piano and slide guitar vs boyd and the hoedown jam. Nowadays it has a groovy Allman bro’s feel to it that I for one enjoy. Interesting how it’s a song that has no horns on it anymore, which is an interesting decision, wonder why they dropped em?

    Of course on a jam like this always miss leroi......i
    kenticus is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:58 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Privacy Policy
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Ants Facebook
    Ants Instagram
    Matt's Twitter
    Joe's Twitter