Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2021, 11:32 PM   #121
Sniper15
 
Sniper15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 10,735

Shows Seen: 106

Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunz View Post
I think come tomorrow is the greatest studio effort since lws/busted stuff. To me, come tomorrow sounded like dmb again. I can understand if you don’t like it, art is subjective. But to call it trash is downright poppycock.
Why do you think it sounded like DMB? There was no violin, very little saxophone, no eccentric acoustic riffs, the lyricism wasn't stylistically reminiscent of early DMB, almost no jamming, most of the songs were really short, the production is mediocre, there's no sense of cohesiveness whatsoever, etc. I think it's the least "DMB sounding" record they've ever released.
__________________
Take these chances.....
Only tomorrow leads my way...
Sniper15 is offline   Reply With Quote

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-09-2021, 12:25 AM   #122
    TheStone91
     
    TheStone91's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: Chicago, IL
    Posts: 5,939

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    Why do you think it sounded like DMB? There was no violin, very little saxophone, no eccentric acoustic riffs, the lyricism wasn't stylistically reminiscent of early DMB, almost no jamming, most of the songs were really short, the production is mediocre, there's no sense of cohesiveness whatsoever, etc. I think it's the least "DMB sounding" record they've ever released.

    Yeaa, this.

    Thinking CT is their best album since LWS/BS is poppycock. Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever used that word before. Thanks, Gunz!
    TheStone91 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2021, 12:41 AM   #123
    seanbrutus
     
    Join Date: May 2018
    Posts: 1,213

    Shows Seen: 2

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gunz View Post
    I think come tomorrow is the greatest studio effort since lws/busted stuff. To me, come tomorrow sounded like dmb again. I can understand if you don’t like it, art is subjective. But to call it trash is downright poppycock.
    I thought CT sounded like DMB again as well. A different version of DMB, but I felt that soul in it. I've said this before and I'll say it again, but I don't really have any issues with any of their albums. Some are obviously better than others, but they all have good music on them (to me).
    __________________
    Charleston/Nashville/Bethel/SPAC x2/Atlanta
    seanbrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2021, 07:33 AM   #124
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather
     
    mthawk07's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Location: Tampa
    Posts: 22,584

    Shows Seen: 20

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gunz View Post
    I think come tomorrow is the greatest studio effort since lws/busted stuff. To me, come tomorrow sounded like dmb again. I can understand if you don’t like it, art is subjective. But to call it trash is downright poppycock.

    Calling CT trash would be an insult to trash. It’s more like that sludge that collects at the bottom of a dumpster and smells to high Heaven.
    __________________
    With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.
    mthawk07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2021, 07:58 AM   #125
    justincreekrn
     
    Join Date: Mar 2006
    Posts: 207

    Shows Seen: 25

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    Does anyone have stories about Rashawn being a dick to fans? I've never heard about him being rude to DMB fans

    Personally, I love RR being in the band…I’ve never hated him…and, as a former trumpet player, I always liked him representing my instrument.

    With that being said…I’ve met him twice….both times he was unbelievably rude and condescending.

    So..there ya go. Real world story from a non-hater that still thinks he’s rude.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrmet2005 View Post
    Ain't a snowballs chance in hell that you clowns out in Riverbend are getting a Halloween tonight.
    justincreekrn is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2021, 08:27 AM   #126
    jaymas9
     
    jaymas9's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Posts: 5,452

    Shows Seen: 27

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    That ones easy...Dave didn't/doesn't want a violin.

    PS - See you in a couple weeks. Hope you've been practicing corn hole.
    Freaking Dave. Hopefully Rashawn doesn't musical direct him out of the band.

    Can't wait, my friend. Cornhole game is always optimized.
    __________________
    I find sometimes it's easy to be myself,
    Sometimes I find it's better to be somebody else."
    jaymas9 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2021, 11:18 AM   #127
    Gunz
     
    Join Date: Sep 2021
    Posts: 48

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    Why do you think it sounded like DMB? There was no violin, very little saxophone, no eccentric acoustic riffs, the lyricism wasn't stylistically reminiscent of early DMB, almost no jamming, most of the songs were really short, the production is mediocre, there's no sense of cohesiveness whatsoever, etc. I think it's the least "DMB sounding" record they've ever released.
    Well, there’s only 3 albums in that gap. I thought stand up was awful initially and I still don’t care for it much. Although, it did produce some good live tunes. Aftw and big whiskey. Big whiskey sounded more like a loud rock and roll band to me, and away from the world (which is my least favorite studio album) sounded off. It had a negative feel throughout the album- which doesn’t remind me of dmb. Which leads me to come tomorrow and why it reminded me of dmb. Dmb has often provoked the emotion of hope with their music. It’s what I think of generally when I hear their music. To me, come tomorrow sounded hopeful- like whatever was plaguing them was behind them and there was a path toward happiness again. It made me feel connected to the music again.

    Last edited by Gunz; 09-09-2021 at 11:21 AM.
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2021, 11:19 AM   #128
    Gunz
     
    Join Date: Sep 2021
    Posts: 48

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheStone91 View Post
    Yeaa, this.

    Thinking CT is their best album since LWS/BS is poppycock. Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever used that word before. Thanks, Gunz!
    Lol no problem
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2021, 11:19 AM   #129
    Gunz
     
    Join Date: Sep 2021
    Posts: 48

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mthawk07 View Post
    Calling CT trash would be an insult to trash. It’s more like that sludge that collects at the bottom of a dumpster and smells to high Heaven.
    That’s Hartford, CT
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2021, 11:49 AM   #130
    Sniper15
     
    Sniper15's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 10,735

    Shows Seen: 106

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justincreekrn View Post
    Personally, I love RR being in the band…I’ve never hated him…and, as a former trumpet player, I always liked him representing my instrument.

    With that being said…I’ve met him twice….both times he was unbelievably rude and condescending.

    So..there ya go. Real world story from a non-hater that still thinks he’s rude.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can you give more specifics? I've never heard about him being a douchebag so I'm genuinely curious about his behavior
    __________________
    Take these chances.....
    Only tomorrow leads my way...
    Sniper15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2021, 12:03 PM   #131
    justincreekrn
     
    Join Date: Mar 2006
    Posts: 207

    Shows Seen: 25

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    Can you give more specifics? I've never heard about him being a douchebag so I'm genuinely curious about his behavior

    First time was on the street…I saw him walking and just said “Hey Rashawn!” And gave a head nod…he literally just looked me up and down and kept walking.

    Second time was in a mall. My friend walked up to him and said “Hey…you’re Rashawn Ross, right?” He acted super pissed and annoyed and said “UH…yeah” and frowned and walked away.

    No “stalker” or bothersome behavior in either incident…but both times he just acted like everyone was beneath him.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrmet2005 View Post
    Ain't a snowballs chance in hell that you clowns out in Riverbend are getting a Halloween tonight.
    justincreekrn is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2021, 12:10 PM   #132
    ToySoldier#34
     
    ToySoldier#34's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Posts: 44,052

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    Neither of those things are unbelievably rude or condescending
    __________________
    "Analytics have had a negative impact on the aesthetic and entertainment value of the game. We need to find a way to get more action in the game, allow players to show their athleticism" - Theo Epstein, 11/17/20
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2021, 12:17 PM   #133
    TheStone91
     
    TheStone91's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: Chicago, IL
    Posts: 5,939

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Neither of those things are unbelievably rude or condescending

    Lol. Ok. Whatever you wanna call it, it’s not a good look and wasn’t called for.
    TheStone91 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2021, 12:18 PM   #134
    ToySoldier#34
     
    ToySoldier#34's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Posts: 44,052

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    A family friend was in his final days passing away from cancer and his two little kids were brought to a Patriots game with their uncle as a distraction while the mom was at the hospital, this uncle has a lot of connections and was able to bring the two kids by the visiting team locker room. Warren Sapp was asked if he could take a minute to go say hi to the boys ages 7 and 4 after being told the situation, he told the person to get the fuck out of his face.

    RR was asked his name, he said "uh...yeah" ... that asshole!
    __________________
    "Analytics have had a negative impact on the aesthetic and entertainment value of the game. We need to find a way to get more action in the game, allow players to show their athleticism" - Theo Epstein, 11/17/20
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2021, 12:24 PM   #135
    Route_2
    Blue-Anony
     
    Route_2's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2004
    Location: Seattle
    Posts: 23,621

    Shows Seen: 67

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    Not everyone likes talking to strangers. What a jerk!
    __________________
    DMB YouTube Live:https://tinyurl.com/3h4jeta4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cazzie34 View Post
    "Yeah I shit post on this website where I set myself up to be dunked on. I'm like the villain. It's fun."
    Route_2 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2021, 12:53 PM   #136
    Spell On Me
    Hammerhead
     
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts: 16,665

    Shows Seen: 34

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    I wasn't going to get involved in this discussion, but oh well.

    My wife and I met RR once in Indianapolis before the Noblesville show. He stopped for an autograph and a pic, but never really engaged and kept his headphones on the whole time. That being said, I don't consider that rude or arrogant. From what I've heard, he is a very private person and doesn't enjoy being in crowds or having attention on himself.

    I'm sure we've all met people who are quiet and don't engage in conversation with strangers. I have good friends who when I first met them were very quiet and didn't talk much, but after they got to know me they opened up. I think maybe RR is the same way. Just because someone is famous doesn't automatically mean they have to smile and have a personal conversation with everyone they meet.

    We also met Stephan that same day and he was the total opposite. Very happy to chat, sign an autograph and have a picture taken. Super cool. Actually, we felt like we were taking up his time and said thanks, he asked if there was anything else we wanted. In retrospect, we should have asked for back stage passes.
    __________________
    Don't Bunn the Day
    Spell On Me is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2021, 05:03 PM   #137
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.
     
    RSSR's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Posts: 7,237

    Shows Seen: 9

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jamima2fl View Post
    Uhhhh… I don’t foresee much more coming from ‘98. I have no problem with ‘98 sets (or Butch), but mark my words… you’ll be lucky to get one more.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bearclaw_ View Post
    Backreading now - 98 is rumored to have lost/damaged tapes, etc. so I don't know how much more we see from that year.
    Well these comments aged well within just a few days.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2021, 05:03 PM   #138
    Jamima2fl
    Take me Back...
     
    Jamima2fl's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2006
    Location: Virginia / Florida
    Posts: 1,112

    Shows Seen: 30

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    Well these comments aged well within just a few days.

    Perhaps intentionally
    Jamima2fl is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2021, 05:32 PM   #139
    Cscottrun
     
    Cscottrun's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Long Island, NY
    Posts: 12,804

    Shows Seen: 70

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    A few years ago RR was doxxed (or someone alleged they knew him and dropped a bunch of info like his address). I can’t remember what else she said but I do remember it was nothing positive. Obviously no way to really know if it was real but it was certainly interesting for the few minutes the post was up. Does anyone else remember that?
    __________________
    2021: Raleigh, Merriweather, Spac, Mohegan, and MSG.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2021, 05:42 PM   #140
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.
     
    RSSR's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Posts: 7,237

    Shows Seen: 9

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    No one is on all the time, especially if random people come up wanting to have a lengthy discussion with you about the band you're in.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2021, 05:44 PM   #141
    Route_2
    Blue-Anony
     
    Route_2's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2004
    Location: Seattle
    Posts: 23,621

    Shows Seen: 67

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    Well these comments aged well within just a few days.
    Ha, I was trying to find these after today's announcement but couldn't remember which thread they were posted in.
    __________________
    DMB YouTube Live:https://tinyurl.com/3h4jeta4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cazzie34 View Post
    "Yeah I shit post on this website where I set myself up to be dunked on. I'm like the villain. It's fun."
    Route_2 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-10-2021, 07:05 AM   #142
    dontburnthe_pig
    ja-nee
     
    dontburnthe_pig's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2006
    Location: South Africa
    Posts: 6,612

    Shows Seen: 26

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ9malZVIuQ

    Pig, from the Gorge.

    It's interesting to watch this in light of the discussion in this thread because Rashawn is quite clearly directing Buddy and, it looks like, Tony too.

    Separate to that: Tim's playing on this version is fantastic, his tone sounds like a whale at times.
    dontburnthe_pig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-10-2021, 08:53 AM   #143
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.
     
    OneSweetMonkey's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2002
    Posts: 9,974

    Shows Seen: 107

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gunz View Post
    That’s Hartford, CT
    You misspelled "My mom's house".
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-10-2021, 09:02 AM   #144
    snow1868
    Party in the back!
     
    snow1868's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Location: Ocoee, FL
    Posts: 34,148

    Shows Seen: 13

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jamima2fl View Post
    Perhaps intentionally


    I saw your wording and immediately thought, yeah, they know.
    __________________
    Ryan
    Go Pokes! Go Royals! Go Chiefs!

    Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-10-2021, 09:04 AM   #145
    joeyray34
     
    joeyray34's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2005
    Location: Austin, TX
    Posts: 8,602

    Shows Seen: 78

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    A family friend was in his final days passing away from cancer and his two little kids were brought to a Patriots game with their uncle as a distraction while the mom was at the hospital, this uncle has a lot of connections and was able to bring the two kids by the visiting team locker room. Warren Sapp was asked if he could take a minute to go say hi to the boys ages 7 and 4 after being told the situation, he told the person to get the fuck out of his face.

    RR was asked his name, he said "uh...yeah" ... that asshole!
    Sat next to warren sapp at a magic game in 2002 soon after his bullshit with the packers player. He just stared straight ahead whenever people would try and say what’s up or anything. Really awkward sitting next to a complete ass.
    joeyray34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-10-2021, 09:50 AM   #146
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.
     
    OneSweetMonkey's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2002
    Posts: 9,974

    Shows Seen: 107

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spell On Me View Post
    I wasn't going to get involved in this discussion, but oh well.

    My wife and I met RR once in Indianapolis before the Noblesville show. He stopped for an autograph and a pic, but never really engaged and kept his headphones on the whole time. That being said, I don't consider that rude or arrogant. From what I've heard, he is a very private person and doesn't enjoy being in crowds or having attention on himself. ...
    That's all well and good. But if it's true, maybe don't try to portray yourself as the most important member of Dave Matthews Band.
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-10-2021, 10:03 AM   #147
    resumesomething
     
    resumesomething's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Location: Virginia
    Posts: 184

    Shows Seen: 10

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontburnthe_pig View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ9malZVIuQ

    Pig, from the Gorge.

    It's interesting to watch this in light of the discussion in this thread because Rashawn is quite clearly directing Buddy and, it looks like, Tony too.

    Separate to that: Tim's playing on this version is fantastic, his tone sounds like a whale at times.
    Definitely interesting. No question he plays an integral part, and as frustrated as I can be with the band at times, I'm happy he's there and keeps them going.

    Regarding Rashawn's personality... people are people. Has anyone met LeRoi? From the comments that I've heard about him from the band, people who knew, loved and respected him, he seemed like an interesting and difficult guy.
    resumesomething is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-10-2021, 10:10 AM   #148
    Spell On Me
    Hammerhead
     
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts: 16,665

    Shows Seen: 34

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
    That's all well and good. But if it's true, maybe don't try to portray yourself as the most important member of Dave Matthews Band.
    I'm really not trying to argue, but I don't see where he ever said he was or tried to portray himself as the most important member of DMB. If he did, can you show where and I will probably change my opinion.
    __________________
    Don't Bunn the Day
    Spell On Me is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-10-2021, 10:17 AM   #149
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.
     
    OneSweetMonkey's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2002
    Posts: 9,974

    Shows Seen: 107

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spell On Me View Post
    I'm really not trying to argue, but I don't see where he ever said he was or tried to portray himself as the most important member of DMB. If he did, can you show where and I will probably change my opinion.
    I've already admitted that I'm pretty petty when it comes to Rashawn. I don't dislike him, but comments like "This is the best decision I've ever made for this band" comes across as kind of pretentious.

    That being said, my comment was about 75% serious and 25% sarcastic. I understand that he doesn't try to portray himself as "the most important member", but he certainly does say things sometimes that make it seem that he believes he's more important than he is.

    That's just my $.02. Others disagree, and that's fine.
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-10-2021, 11:51 AM   #150
    RainDog1980
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: North Scituate, RI
    Posts: 1,472

    Shows Seen: 12

    Re: Rashawn's Gorge Instagram Post

    I can't believe this has generated this much discussion. The dude didn't even say bringing him into the band was the most profound decision he's made for the band, he said it's the most profound musical decision he's ever made, period. Maybe playing with Buddy elevates HIM and his playing in his eyes. Maybe Dave turned to him after the first show and said something similar.

    It just boggles my mind how such an innocuous post is taken so negatively, as if people WANT there to be an issue.
    RainDog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:15 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Privacy Policy
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Ants Facebook
    Ants Instagram