***Official AFTW Midnight Stream Review Thread*** - Page 68 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > Away From The World

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 09-06-2012, 03:58 AM   #2011
z28snksknr
Seeking a Remedy

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official AFTW Midnight Stream Review Thread***

Thanks to 2 kind Ants here, I finally got to listen last night uninterupted. I've listened start to finish 4 times now, and at the end of Drunken Soldier, I can't wait for it to end so I can start it from the beginning again. So many solid tracks here, and the studio versions of The Riff and If Only are incredible. Snow Outside and Drunken Soldier are standout tracks for me.

I'm so grateful for this GOOD MUSIC from the band that I'm in a rush to get it comitted to my memory and "nestled into my brain catalog". I'm a big supporter of BW, but besides LITHOG and Spaceman, I don't recall having this NEED to hear every one of the songs like I do with AFTW. As far as comparing to the Big 3, I choose not to. I keep them in a different compartment since I'm not the same person I was back when those albums came out. Hell, I was a senior in high school when Everyday came out, and now I'm married with my 2nd kid on the way. There's too much nostalgia and emotional connections to those songs over the past 15 +/- years to compare them objectively.

I think for those in the minority that are not big fans of the album, it may be time to pack up your DMB fan kit and find another band to enjoy because this album is very representative of what this band is SUPPOSED to sound like in my opinion (FWIW). I'm not sure what else they could have done to win you over, short of blatantly regurgitating BTCS tracks. If you aren't into this album, I'm not sure DMB has something for you to enjoy any more in their bag of sounds.
z28snksknr is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-06-2012, 06:24 AM   #2012
    darkfwank

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

This album needs to be listened to on good headphones and nothing else. Just a world of difference.
    darkfwank is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2012, 06:37 AM   #2013
    Dankguitar

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

You know what's easily the best part about this album? How much it is a BAND album. Almost every song has every single member making large contributions. Big Whiskey felt like it was Dave Tim and Carter and then they'd throw in Jeff when they could and barely any Boyd for a solo. Every instrument is integral to these songs and I fucking love it
    Dankguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #2014
    njdevil26
    The Greater Good

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Now that I've come down off the high of excitement... I can post my honest review of the album.

1. Broken Things- Classic DMB song. Boyd shines and the band sounds great. Fantastic song.

2. Belly Belly Nice- Someone here said it sounds unfinished at parts... but I think the best way to describe that is "raw." It's a rocking song that's tons of fun to sing along and dance along to. Definitely awesome. Jeff and Boyd are great.

3. Mercy- Mercy is actually growing on me. The whole song is a crescendo up til the last minute which is a beautiful musical piece. It's a shame the satellite radio station and the video cut out the best part....

4. Goucho- Sounds better than it orginally did... I guess they edited a little more. They muted Jeff's little sax fill after Tim's electric fill in the second chorus... Idk why... but this song is growing on me as well.

5. Sweet- The Yuke portion of the song is beautiful. It sounds a little hectic when the band comes in at the end... kind of like it doesn't fit.

6. The Riff- Great song. The band sounds like they never want to end it.

7. Belly Full- Maybe I'm crazy... but all the belly talk... is Dave singing about banging the shit out of someone and putting a baby in them? Either way... he makes it sound fantastic haha. They should bust this out after Belly Belly Nice at shows.

8. If Only- To be honest, I find myself skipping this song. It's okay but it takes a while to get going.

9. Rooftop- YES. This is what I'm talking about. Still my favorite song on the album. Great potential for live jamming... just a ton of fun.

10. Snow Outside- Great track. Tim really shines on this. I don't know how they will do this live... but I'm eager to see.

11. Drunken Soldier- I like this song... It's got a great first half. I think they hyped it up a little too much to be honest. The end of the song is kind of boring. I would rank it UNDER Bartender and Proudest Monkey for best "closing track."

Overall this is the best album since Before These Crowded Streets... I have it in a tie with Busted Stuff. Busted Stuff would have been better if it had Tim. I hope everyone is happy about this release... old fans and new... our boys still have it! Thanks Lillywhite!
    Old 09-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #2015
    Kevinbstbll9

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

4 listens through... Snow Outside, Drunken Solider, Rooftop = , really I think the best three on the album but I have a new-found appreciation for Mercy.

Rooftop and Snow Outside I think "if" () there's a fall tour I'd be most excited to see full band as of right now, still only the third day with the album though!

I've been playing the CD around my friends and their reaction has been much the same of Ants in these first couple days.

For those who are going to Farm Aid and Life is Good I'm sure you're wondering the same question I am; what will some of these songs sound like acoustic?
    Kevinbstbll9 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #2016
    Maybe Im Amazed

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

hey guys/girls,

I just recently stumbled upon this site but I am a long time fan. I have to say that this album far exceeded my expectations. I was really excited to hear the songs that we hadn't heard yet live and they didn't disappoint.
    Broken Things was the perfect way to open the album and I just loved Boyd on it.
    Belly Full was a nice little solo that I enjoyed quite a bit.
    Rooftop is a song that I think will be great live if Dave is able to play it comfortably because it does remind me of DOOF and we all know how that turned out live.
    Snow Outside as people have pointed out is a mixture of round and round and light lift me up so it was easy for me to love this song.
    Drunken Soldier Just as Broken Things was the perfect opening Drunken Soldier was the Perfect Closing. So many parts to it to wrap your head around. I could see this being a great opener at concerts.

I have listened to it straight through about 4 times now and with each listen I love it more and more. Compare that to BW where I listened to it once through and then skipped to the very few songs I liked there after. I'm just ecstatic that they are still able to produce this type of quality music.
    Maybe Im Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #2017
    jk17

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I can not wait to plug my iPhone into my car and drive around aimlessly with the windows down listening to this Album ! That's the best time I can really 'listen' to the music and really jam to it. ....just an FYI for some of you trying to get the mp3 for this album; download Audio Hijack for mac ( I'm sure there's a windows version) and just hit record while ur listening to the album on iTunes and boom! U have urself the mp3 in ur iTunes library! ...:..now we just need some fall tour dates. ONE more show before next summer is all I need c'mon c'mon c'mon hit me baby one more timeeee ! And then I'll go home
    Old 09-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #2018
    dwill26
    Fonz is a d-bag

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Was that a brittany spears reference in there?
    dwill26 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #2019
    jk17

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Haha ya couldnt help myself, cuz thats how it feels like a drug i just need one more hit of them ..
    on a side note ... 2 things.
    1)**IM PROBABLY THE LAST TO KNOW THIS BUT I JUST WENT TO DMBSTREAM. WHAT THE !! THIS ISNT HAPPENING.

2) for those of you that aren't crazy about IF ONLY; and ive read on here theres a lot of you, and even in my circle of crazed DMB fans ive came across them. What is wrong with you?!?
    when they came out with mercy and gaucho, i was intrigued like wow this album is gonna be interesting. (i still cant make myself get into mercy, gaucho is sweet minus the kids at then end; but u can easily hear the fans singing that part at shows)
    THEN.
    I was at blossom, and he says ok here's a new song i cant screw it up cuz no one's ever heard it before. and im thinking ok here we go what's it gonna sound like. and he busted out with iF only. it was so different from gaucho and mercy, and i kid you not. TEARS rolled downed my face. and thats when i knew. this album was going to be everything i hoped for.

sorry for the rant, but i LOVE that song
    Old 09-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #2020
    Julia Roberts
    Pretty Woman

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

I like If Only. The knock on it is that Carter plays a Stand Up beat and the lyrics are cheesy/bad.

"Count down the time that you have left,
    In a jar try to catch try to capture it"
    Julia Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #2021
    matt630

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Say whatever you want to about the strength (or lack thereof) of the writing and lyrics on this album, but there is no question in my mind THIS is DAMN good...if not GREAT

If you are tired I will bear your burden
    If you're dreaming, I will not disturb you
    Whatever your heart desires and love, love
    I'll clear the way for you
    Come winter I will build you a fire
    From the bones of who I used to be
    Before you came and washed the weary away
    Before you came here for me

My Tour Stats
    matt630 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #2022
    MColin28

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt630 View Post
    Say whatever you want to about the strength (or lack thereof) of the writing and lyrics on this album, but there is no question in my mind THIS is DAMN good...if not GREAT

If you are tired I will bear your burden
    If you're dreaming, I will not disturb you
    Whatever your heart desires and love, love
    I'll clear the way for you
    Come winter I will build you a fire
    From the bones of who I used to be
    Before you came and washed the weary away
    Before you came here for me

So true!
    Old 09-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #2023
    41Wooten
    I done shot that horse!

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I actually don't like Rooftop. I should specify: I don't like the refrain of Rooftop- musically or lyrically. I don't know why, but it really hits a sour note with me.

Maybe it sounds too much like some country-rock song in a pickup truck commercial?

Last edited by 41Wooten; 09-06-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    41Wooten is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #2024
    Evans

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I love the whole album, but I CANNOT get over how AWESOME those last 3 songs are!!! Rooftop is like the best sounding "newer" dmb we know, followed by Snow Outside which is like the best sounding "older" dmb we knew, followed by Drunken Soldier which is like an unstable atmosphere following an epic storm. A ******** metamorphosis of sound, I love it.
    I'd like to take a chance to thank you all very much for joining us this evening and I hope that you have a nice night followin' this one, don't forget to love each other, don't forget to do your best, don't forget to vote, don't forget to dafahdedofehdahdeedoedeeday!
    Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #2025
    trippingbillie4

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I'm so excited to see how these songs develop live over the next few years. It's so amazing we finally have a bunch of new songs that will make a set stronger. The shows over the next couple years could be great setlist wise
    Old 09-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #2026
    caribbeandream

My Tour Central Stats

I know I am really late on this, but it has been such a crazy busy week that this is the first time I have had a chance to listen to the stream. I just pulled it up and it keeps stopping after like 15 seconds. I can move through the track to other parts, but it stops after a few seconds then too. Has anyone had this happen? What is the issue?

Sorry, I don't have time to backread as this is still a crazy busy week.

Help please! I am dying to listen!!!
    Old 09-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #2027
    spicyitalian739
    Voluntarist.

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by caribbeandream View Post
    I know I am really late on this, but it has been such a crazy busy week that this is the first time I have had a chance to listen to the stream. I just pulled it up and it keeps stopping after like 15 seconds. I can move through the track to other parts, but it stops after a few seconds then too. Has anyone had this happen? What is the issue?

Sorry, I don't have time to backread as this is still a crazy busy week.

Help please! I am dying to listen!!!
    As many have said before, just save this link to your desktop and listen in itunes. http://a1.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/..._the_World.m4p
    spicyitalian739 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #2028
    caribbeandream

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spicyitalian739 View Post
    As many have said before, just save this link to your desktop and listen in itunes. http://a1.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/..._the_World.m4p
    Thank you! And again, sorry...no time to backread. I'm trying to squeeze in listening while I work.
    Old 09-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #2029
    spicyitalian739
    Voluntarist.

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by caribbeandream View Post
    Thank you! And again, sorry...no time to backread. I'm trying to squeeze in listening while I work.
    No prob. I'm assuming that link will work until Monday night.
    spicyitalian739 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #2030
    trippingbillie4

My Tour Central Stats

If anyone has already ripped this I'd love a PM
    Old 09-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #2031
    mrb07005

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Snow Outside is an evolved Round and Round...Dave's riff is almost identical. Anyone else pick up on that?

Amazing song either way on an absolutely flawless album
    mrb07005 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #2032
    splack03

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

I posted this in the "Big 4 my Ass" thread, but for some reason that was locked up, guess we are trying to promote drinking the coolaid around here, but here are my thoughts:

I am actually kind of surprised at all the amazing reviews about the album. I think some songs are really good (and some really, really suck) but a few points I'd like to make:

1. Lyrics: As people have said, there really isn't a single song with solid lyrics from start to end. There are clauses in songs with thoughtful lyrics but most are way too straightforward (even the riff, which is a great song, has very straightforward and "cheesy" lyrics). I am not saying that they all have to be about death or being satisfied with fucking, but even DMB's old songs about love were very poetic. Please compare "we have danced at the risk of each other, would you like to dance around the world with me" with "if you stay with me that don't mean we gotta stay the same". To me, these clauses have very similar themes (staying together is a risk with hopefully a happy outcome), but the former is much more poetic and thoughtful.

2. Lack of guitar creativity: While I think the other band members are utilized extraordinary well on this album (drunken soldier's intro is phenomenal), I think we tend to underestimate how important creative guitar riffs have been to DMB over the years. To me, one of the more criticized songs on this album, Gaucho, actually has the closest thing to an old school creative guitar riff. Yes, I know Dave is playing on every song, and I know some will say "the riff" by its very nature contains a unique guitar sound, but to me none of Dave's guitar work compares to the big 3. If you look at BTCS, Dreaming Tree, the Stone, Stay, Spoon, PNP Rapunzel, Last Stop and Halloween all are basically driven by the unique, even if sometimes simple, guitar work. You can do the same exercise on Crash and UTTAD as well. Not so here in my opinion.

3. Complexity does not always equal better: I heard in a recent Carter interview that the band has "grown up" with this album. That is actually NOT what I want from DMB. The Beatles wrote some of the most basic songs ever, and they've done pretty well for themselves. I really admire a lot of the work done by the musicians on this album, but we all grew to love DMB on their simple yet extremely creative sounds guided by talented musicians.

4. Dave's voice: I won't go too much into this because this is a personal opinion, but he'll never have his young voice back. His younger voice always just felt more genuine to me, the passion I hear on a say goodbye versus (insert any modern DMB love song here) is just not comparable. I understand this is not something within anyone's control, but it makes it that much harder to reach big 3 status, which leads me to my final, and most important point....

5. The big 3 shouldn't be the standard, and I think deep down most people know it: Say what you want about the production on busted stuff, but any realistic comparison should be to busted stuff, not the big 3. Busted stuff had, in my opinion, 5 absolutely classic songs (Big Eyed Fish, Bartender, Grey Street, Raven, and You Never Know), with only one song being a consensus "meh" around town (where are you going). In comparison, it's rare around here for anyone to say that there was a single amazing song on Everyday, Stand Up, or big whiskey (a lot of very good songs mixed in). Yes, some people think "hands of god" was genius, some like myself thing "beach ball" is phenomenal, but the point I'm making is there is much more of a consensus on the powerful songs of busted stuff than anything that came after. On the other hand, most people agree that there were actually a good amount of mail in songs on those albums. So, to even start comparing to Big 3, I think you need to compare to busted stuff, and I just don't see nearly the same strength here. You can all tell me how amazing drunken soldier is, how creative snow outside is, how belly belly nice is shake me done right. Yes, I agree. But they are just aren't as good as the beasts on busted stuff.

This is a great album from my favorite band, and blows stand up out of the water. For me, right now I'm trying to decide if I think it's better than everyday, and big whiskey stands above both right now (but below busted stuff) for me. As I give it a few more listens, maybe that will change.
    splack03 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #2033
    trippingbillie4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by splack03 View Post
    I posted this in the "Big 4 my Ass" thread, but for some reason that was locked up, guess we are trying to promote drinking the coolaid around here, but here are my thoughts:

I am actually kind of surprised at all the amazing reviews about the album. I think some songs are really good (and some really, really suck) but a few points I'd like to make:

1. Lyrics: As people have said, there really isn't a single song with solid lyrics from start to end. There are clauses in songs with thoughtful lyrics but most are way too straightforward (even the riff, which is a great song, has very straightforward and "cheesy" lyrics). I am not saying that they all have to be about death or being satisfied with fucking, but even DMB's old songs about love were very poetic. Please compare "we have danced at the risk of each other, would you like to dance around the world with me" with "if you stay with me that don't mean we gotta stay the same". To me, these clauses have very similar themes (staying together is a risk with hopefully a happy outcome), but the former is much more poetic and thoughtful.

2. Lack of guitar creativity: While I think the other band members are utilized extraordinary well on this album (drunken soldier's intro is phenomenal), I think we tend to underestimate how important creative guitar riffs have been to DMB over the years. To me, one of the more criticized songs on this album, Gaucho, actually has the closest thing to an old school creative guitar riff. Yes, I know Dave is playing on every song, and I know some will say "the riff" by its very nature contains a unique guitar sound, but to me none of Dave's guitar work compares to the big 3. If you look at BTCS, Dreaming Tree, the Stone, Stay, Spoon, PNP Rapunzel, Last Stop and Halloween all are basically driven by the unique, even if sometimes simple, guitar work. You can do the same exercise on Crash and UTTAD as well. Not so here in my opinion.

3. Complexity does not always equal better: I heard in a recent Carter interview that the band has "grown up" with this album. That is actually NOT what I want from DMB. The Beatles wrote some of the most basic songs ever, and they've done pretty well for themselves. I really admire a lot of the work done by the musicians on this album, but we all grew to love DMB on their simple yet extremely creative sounds guided by talented musicians.

4. Dave's voice: I won't go too much into this because this is a personal opinion, but he'll never have his young voice back. His younger voice always just felt more genuine to me, the passion I hear on a say goodbye versus (insert any modern DMB love song here) is just not comparable. I understand this is not something within anyone's control, but it makes it that much harder to reach big 3 status, which leads me to my final, and most important point....

5. The big 3 shouldn't be the standard, and I think deep down most people know it: Say what you want about the production on busted stuff, but any realistic comparison should be to busted stuff, not the big 3. Busted stuff had, in my opinion, 5 absolutely classic songs (Big Eyed Fish, Bartender, Grey Street, Raven, and You Never Know), with only one song being a consensus "meh" around town (where are you going). In comparison, it's rare around here for anyone to say that there was a single amazing song on Everyday, Stand Up, or big whiskey (a lot of very good songs mixed in). Yes, some people think "hands of god" was genius, some like myself thing "beach ball" is phenomenal, but the point I'm making is there is much more of a consensus on the powerful songs of busted stuff than anything that came after. On the other hand, most people agree that there were actually a good amount of mail in songs on those albums. So, to even start comparing to Big 3, I think you need to compare to busted stuff, and I just don't see nearly the same strength here. You can all tell me how amazing drunken soldier is, how creative snow outside is, how belly belly nice is shake me done right. Yes, I agree. But they are just aren't as good as the beasts on busted stuff.

This is a great album from my favorite band, and blows stand up out of the water. For me, right now I'm trying to decide if I think it's better than everyday, and big whiskey stands above both right now (but below busted stuff) for me. As I give it a few more listens, maybe that will change.
    I get what you're saying with some of your points but how the hell could you think Big Whiskey is better than this? Lying in the Hands of God is the only song that is up there with Drunken Soldier, Snow Outside, The Riff and Broken Things. You can't even compare the production on AFTW to Big Whiskey. BW isn't even in the same league. And where BW mostly sounds like the Dave, Tim and Carter show the songs on AFTW actually have every member playing an integral part on every song with the exception of a couple.

Last edited by trippingbillie4; 09-06-2012 at 03:26 PM.
    trippingbillie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #2034
    markymark123

My Tour Central Stats

Listen, I'm not here to hate on the "old skewlers" opinions on not liking this album. It's been beaten to death. There's no doubting this album lacks the lyrical creativity of the "Big 3." My question is to people that bitch about the lyrics, what were you expecting? It's been, what..10 years since the last album with generally agreed upon good lyrics. Granted there have been few select songs on each album since then that are good, there have been 3, I repeat 3 albums since that album, that have lacked the lyrics of the Lillywhite Sessions. Why do people go into this album even expecting lyrical genius? It's almost just stupid, at this point. I went into this album hoping to hear a well produced album, that brought out the best in each musician, I think AFTW did exactly that. It just gets tiresome to hear people bitch about lyrics still, it's been a decade! Move on already. It would be like a Michael Jordan fan still bitching he can't dunk from the free throw line anymore. Well no shit sherlock, he hasn't done it in a decade, why would it change now?
    markymark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #2035
    splack03

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trippingbillie4 View Post
    I get what you're saying with some of your points but how the hell could you think Big Whiskey is better than this? Lying in the Hands of God is the only song that is up there with Drunken Soldier, Snow Outside, The Riff and Broken Things. You can't even compare the production on AFTW to Big Whiskey. BW isn't even in the same league. And where BW mostly sounds like the Dave, Tim and Carter show the songs on AFTW actually have every member playing an integral part on every song with the exception of a couple.
    Agreed on the production and the use of all the band members. I even conceded that in my critique.

But, these qualities, while of course important, pale in comparison to the much more basic question: which songs are better? To me, there were more songs on Big Whiskey (and B side) that I really loved.

For example, I think the guitar riff on Alligator Pie (and the breakdown) are amazing; I think hands of god is extremely good; I actually am a huge fan of Dive In (lyrics are think are tremendously underrated, and dave and tim versions are outstanding), I think time bomb is great, I think Funny is a better single than mercy (even if that video gives me a headache), I think the breakdown in why I am in fantastic. By contrast, I HATE Seven and You and Me. Lastly, I think Beach Ball is the single best song since the Busted Stuff album. In sum, I think the production is much better on this album, but I just think the Whiskey songs are stronger...for now....

While I won't go into a song by song review of AFTW, there are more songs on this album that I have no interest in whatsoever (If Only, Belly Full, Sweet, Rooftop) than Whiskey (You and Me, Seven), and the top songs from Whiskey are more fun to listen to for me than the top songs from AFTW. For now...
    Old 09-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #2036
    splack03

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by markymark123 View Post
    Listen, I'm not here to hate on the "old skewlers" opinions on not liking this album. It's been beaten to death. There's no doubting this album lacks the lyrical creativity of the "Big 3." My question is to people that bitch about the lyrics, what were you expecting? It's been, what..10 years since the last album with generally agreed upon good lyrics. Granted there have been few select songs on each album since then that are good, there have been 3, I repeat 3 albums since that album, that have lacked the lyrics of the Lillywhite Sessions. Why do people go into this album even expecting lyrical genius? It's almost just stupid, at this point. I went into this album hoping to hear a well produced album, that brought out the best in each musician, I think AFTW did exactly that. It just gets tiresome to hear people bitch about lyrics still, it's been a decade! Move on already. It would be like a Michael Jordan fan still bitching he can't dunk from the free throw line anymore. Well no shit sherlock, he hasn't done it in a decade, why would it change now?
    I don't really agree with that analogy at all. A much better analogy would be to say that Dave's voice has gotten strained over the years, and if someone's complaint is that Dave's older, more strained sound doesn't appeal to them as much as his nasally voice (but with more range) of the past, I would agree.

Just because there haven't been good lyrics across the board in years doesn't mean we should "accept" it can't happen again. Due to age, Michael Jordan no longer has the talents to dunk from the free throw line. What has happened to Dave? Is it because he is "happy with kids" now? Give me a break. I refuse to accept that Dave was just so unhappy for, hell, 10 years straight that he could put great lyrics to paper. The much more realistic answer, even if it is sad and harsh, is that he is getting lazy. He clearly still has hints of brilliance here and there, he can do it, but he doesn't want to put in that effort that he used to, in my opinion.

Last edited by splack03; 09-06-2012 at 04:06 PM.
    Old 09-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #2037
    markymark123

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by splack03 View Post
    I don't really agree with that analogy at all. A much better analogy would be to say that Dave's voice has gotten strained over the years, and if someone's complaint is that Dave's older, more strained sound doesn't appeal to them as much as his nasally voice (but with more range) of the past, I would agree.

Just because there haven't been good lyrics across the board in years doesn't mean we should "accept" it can't happen again. Due to age, Michael Jordan no longer has the talents to dunk from the free throw line. What has happened to Dave? Is it because he is "happy with kids" now? Give me a break. I refuse to accept that Dave was just so unhappy for, hell, 10 years straight that he could put great lyrics to paper. The much more realistic answer, even if it is sad and harsh, is that he is getting lazy. He clearly still has hints of brilliance here and there, he can do it, but he doesn't want to put in that effort that he used to, in my opinion.
    Funny cause right after I hit send I realized my analogy might have been off, and it would be commented on lol. Yours is probably better, but mine still could hold truth. You say "give me a break." But it's totally believable to me Dave is in a time of his life where he simply can't produce the quality of lyrics that he could in his early 20's. We'll just agree to disagree on that front.
    markymark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #2038
    Griffin

My Tour Central Stats

[QUOTE=splack03;14002934]I don't really agree with that analogy at all. A much better analogy would be to say that Dave's voice has gotten strained over the years, and if someone's complaint is that Dave's older, more strained sound doesn't appeal to them as much as his nasally voice (but with more range) of the past, I would agree.

Just because there haven't been good lyrics across the board in years doesn't mean we should "accept" it can't happen again. Due to age, Michael Jordan no longer has the talents to dunk from the free throw line. What has happened to Dave? Is it because he is "happy with kids" now? Give me a break. I refuse to accept that Dave was just so unhappy for, hell, 10 years straight that he could put great lyrics to paper. The much more realistic answer, even if it is sad and harsh, is that he is getting lazy. He clearly still has hints of brilliance here and there, he can do it, but he doesn't want to put in that effort that he used to, in my opinion.[/QUOTE

Everyone is entitled to an opinion so I will offer one. Obsession by a gifted person creates great things but obsession leaves no room for anything else. Would I want Dave to have a hole in his soul so he could write the next seek up or dreaming tree, no, hell no. Dave did everything he could to make a great album, more effort than some others would make by pulling Lillywhite back into the mix. He made a great album and I say thanks guys for your hard work, well done.
    Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #2039
    crounsa810

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

The only songs I don't find myself coming back to very often are If Only and Gaucho. If Only is much better live I think, but Gaucho doesn't stand out as a "OMG I HAVE TO HEAR THAT!" song. Until I hear it. Then I love it. But it's not one I actively seek out. Most likely because I've listened to it so often since May
    Old 09-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #2040
    Dankguitar

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Gaucho and Mercy I have always loved. But what's interesting is despite how impressed I am by the rest of the album the songs are even better in my mind now just because of how strongly they fit into the flow of the album. In other words I am surprised that when listening through the album from the beginning I am really surprised I have no urge to skip over them after listening to them so much over the months
    Dankguitar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
    aftw , fail , new album , sleep is good , stream