NBC's The Office ***OFFICIAL THREAD*** - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion > Chat Threads

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-05-2006, 04:51 PM   #1
SnakeEyes

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

NBC's The Office ***OFFICIAL THREAD***

Is anyone else watching this show? Outside of the soon to be over Arrested Development I think it's one of the funniest shows on TV. Not sure exactly who or why as everyone has their own little part that makes the show so good. Kinda weird really. Though I do think Rainn Wilson as Dwight is the best on the show.

Kinda nervous about it's future though with NBC moving it to Thursday nights. Up against CSI tonight is questionable IMO. Normally I'd say they want it to die but they are heavily hyping it trying to gain back "must see tv Thursdays." Will and Grace to start off the night, though I think the show sucks, is a popular show. I'm not sure it's going to be much for the rest of the night though because after that is Four Kings that looks awful IMO. Maybe NBC will quickly cancel it and move Scrubs there, with Joey on Tuesdays

Jenna Fisher and Angela MArtin updated their mysplace blogs today talking about tonights episode.

Pam's Blog
Angela's Blog

Last edited by 2steppinKJ; 01-30-2009 at 03:32 PM.
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-05-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
    JC10380
    Doing It

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Re: NBC's The Office.

I'm sure there is a thread somewhere.
    Old 01-05-2006, 04:56 PM   #3
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

The office is the shit.
    But the move from Tues. to Thurs. sucks... I have to work till 11. I actually have to tape it now.
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
    Erich
    Handsome & Genocidal

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

im sure its not as funny as the original brittish comedy
    Old 01-05-2006, 05:14 PM   #5
    CrashIntoThis

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I love this show!

Tonight's episode looks really hilarious.
    she'll make the best of what's around
    CrashIntoThis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2006, 05:18 PM   #6
    JMcCartyFBI

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I haven't sat down to watch any of the American episodes, but from the clips on NBC's website and almost everything I've read it simply pales to the original. I just can't understand why they thought that something so fundamentally British could be adapted to American humor. For those that haven't seen the original, you should check it out. Ricky Gervais is a comedic genius.

"I could care less" - meaning that you do care about the topic to some degree
    "I couldn't care less" - meaning you don't care at all
    JMcCartyFBI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2006, 05:22 PM   #7
    ali815

Shows Seen: 34

My Tour Central Stats

i really want to see the original someday. i really love the office, it hooked me in, completely. i'm pretty happy about the thursday switch...i had the reverse problem...almost always working tuesday nights. can't wait for the tonight's episode!!
    Old 01-05-2006, 05:56 PM   #8
    SnakeEyes

My Tour Central Stats

Most people I know watching the NBC version have seen the original. It's fantastic as is the NBC Office, in it's own right.

Not sure how office life is "fundamentally British"

Old 01-05-2006, 05:57 PM   #9
    winterscold
    Here, here

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

man, I love this show. It's hilarious.
    Old 01-05-2006, 06:41 PM   #10
    tarheel997
    that guy

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Awesome show, the British Version is better but really hard to understand the words sometimes, which means you miss out on alot of the tongue in cheek humor. Both are great shows though.
    Old 01-06-2006, 02:30 AM   #11
    MoBb
    I am a Golden God!

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I did like the first season (6 episodes) of NBC`s The Office, but season 2 hasn`t been that good in my opinion.

The british version is ten times funnier, no doubt.

I`m not a big fan of british comedy - so I might be wrong, but the comedy on the british Office doesn`t seem that "typical" of other comedy shows and stand up artists I`ve seen from G.B earlier.
    Old 01-06-2006, 05:43 AM   #12
    SteelerMan
    Who dey? We dey!

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

I love The Office. Other than Scrubs, it's the only comedy on TV I look forward to watching every week. I tried watching Arrested Development this season but couldn't really get into it... perhaps I should get the DVDs.
    SteelerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2006, 05:50 AM   #13
    beer_n_dmb
    -yippee-

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I laughed my ass off during the Office Olympics episode. The coffee mug race had me rolling. I think the show is even better if you work in an office environment and can relate to some of the stuff the characters do (i.e. not do shit when the boss is out)
    Old 01-06-2006, 05:55 AM   #14
    dh4645

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ascf33
    The office is the shit.
    But the move from Tues. to Thurs. sucks... I have to work till 11. I actually have to tape it now.
    yeah i agree on both accounts

i love the show, but hate that they moved it and EARL in CSI's timeslot. CSI takes precedence. now i have to tape or download earl and the office and not have nothing to watch tuesday from 9-10
    Old 01-06-2006, 06:18 AM   #15
    CrushGirl

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by beer_n_dmb
    I laughed my ass off during the Office Olympics episode. The coffee mug race had me rolling. I think the show is even better if you work in an office environment and can relate to some of the stuff the characters do (i.e. not do shit when the boss is out)

I completely agree. I do not work in an office, but I did in the past and i remember thinking up stuff to do to other people (although i didn't do it... lol) . We didn't have locks our our desks, and some of the supplies were considered "community supplies" and people would get so pissed off if you touched their shit (even though it really wasn't a big deal). I loved it last night when they put all of the supplies in the vending machine...
    CrushGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2006, 06:38 AM   #16
    beer_n_dmb
    -yippee-

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrushGirl
    I completely agree. I do not work in an office, but I did in the past and i remember thinking up stuff to do to other people (although i didn't do it... lol) . We didn't have locks our our desks, and some of the supplies were considered "community supplies" and people would get so pissed off if you touched their shit (even though it really wasn't a big deal). I loved it last night when they put all of the supplies in the vending machine...
    So true. I can relate characters in the show to people in my office. I love how the show exploits politically incorrectness in the office. I am not the most PC guy in the world, so I can relate to some of the awkward moments between the characters.

Last night was hilarious. Steve Carell kills me. I also liked the end with the whole Jim/Pam thing. I think alot of us can relate to having a crush thrown in your face.
    Old 01-06-2006, 06:38 AM   #17
    SteelerMan
    Who dey? We dey!

My Tour Central Stats

Anybody know what kind of ratings The Office gets? I have a bad feeling it won't be on much longer... I just can't see that many people "getting" the show.
    Old 01-06-2006, 06:40 AM   #18
    SteelerMan
    Who dey? We dey!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by beer_n_dmb
    I also liked the end with the whole Jim/Pam thing. I think alot of us can relate to having a crush thrown in your face.
    I almost shed a tear. It makes me feel like a wuss, but those two are possibly my favorite part of the show.
    Old 01-06-2006, 06:47 AM   #19
    beer_n_dmb
    -yippee-

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteelerMan
    Anybody know what kind of ratings The Office gets? I have a bad feeling it won't be on much longer... I just can't see that many people "getting" the show.
    Good Q. They moved it to Thursday, and that is NBC's big night, so hopefully thats a good thing.

I think the show, like Arrested Development, has a niche audience and may not appeal to the masses. That may not deem well for ratings.
    Old 01-06-2006, 06:55 AM   #20
    SnakeEyes

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It's been steadily improving since the end of Season 1 where it was losing ratings but NBC had faith in it. It has climbed as Season 2 progressed. The Earl lead-in has probably helped it. The big thing is the demographics, it does well in the key advertiser favored demos and it's one of the most popular shows among affluent people. Advertisers lover that. NBC did move it to their Thursday block trying to win back the night so it must thing the show is doing well enough.

Old 01-06-2006, 07:34 AM   #21
    SteelerMan
    Who dey? We dey!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SnakeEyes
    It's been steadily improving since the end of Season 1 where it was losing ratings but NBC had faith in it. It has climbed as Season 2 progressed. The Earl lead-in has probably helped it. The big thing is the demographics, it does well in the key advertiser favored demos and it's one of the most popular shows among affluent people. Advertisers lover that. NBC did move it to their Thursday block trying to win back the night so it must thing the show is doing well enough.
    Yeah... I figured they either moved it there because it was doing well and they're trying to compete or they're telling the show if it can't do well on Thursday nights then it can't do well anywhere and will be cancelled. I really hope it's the prior rather than the latter.
    Old 01-06-2006, 09:30 AM   #22
    ali815

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I almost shed a tear. It makes me feel like a wuss, but those two are possibly my favorite part of the show.

totally hear ya - they're so real!!! it's ridiculous that i'm so into it, but what can i say?

the dancing last night cracked me up too.
    Old 01-06-2006, 11:18 AM   #23
    Erich
    Handsome & Genocidal

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JMcCartyFBI
    I haven't sat down to watch any of the American episodes, but from the clips on NBC's website and almost everything I've read it simply pales to the original. I just can't understand why they thought that something so fundamentally British could be adapted to American humor. For those that haven't seen the original, you should check it out. Ricky Gervais is a comedic genius.
    They tried to butcher Faulty Towers as well.

Its just the fact that popular American comedy is ore often than not watered down garbage. It has to conform to some sort of diluted standard that the industries want us to consume. If things in the vein of South Park are the only things pushing bounderies anymore, we're a really deprived and suffocated nation of half wits (note: I like south park and i do think its edgy, so that wasnt a comment on that show)
    Old 01-06-2006, 11:20 AM   #24
    bubba40

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Dwight absolutely slays me .
    bubba40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #25
    SteelerMan
    Who dey? We dey!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erich
    Its just the fact that popular American comedy is ore often than not watered down garbage. It has to conform to some sort of diluted standard that the industries want us to consume. If things in the vein of South Park are the only things pushing bounderies anymore, we're a really deprived and suffocated nation of half wits (note: I like south park and i do think its edgy, so that wasnt a comment on that show)
    I agree for the most part. I'm sick of lame family sitcoms. However, I think The Office stands out compared to the rest of the sitcoms out right now.
    Old 01-06-2006, 01:21 PM   #26
    SnakeEyes

My Tour Central Stats

Perhaps NBC made the right move:

“Office” posted a 4.5 overnight rating among viewers 18-49, a season high, holding 87 percent of “Earl’s” audience, also a season high. The 4.5 is a 15 percent jump over the 3.9 overnight rating it averaged through 10 episodes this season on Tuesday nights.

“Office” also bettered its season-long retention rate out of “Earl,” 71 percent, significantly. The two shows moved from the Tuesday 9 p.m. hour to Thursday at 9 p.m. for the first time last night.

“Earl,” meanwhile, came in slightly below its 5.5 season-to-date average, posting a 5.2 in the 9p.m. timeslot. But both “Earl” and “Office’s” ratings are even more impressive considering they aired head-to-head with an original episode of CBS’s “CSI,” which averaged a 9.3 overnight rating among 18-49s.

“Office” had a successful Thursday-night premiere last March but struggled mightily on Tuesdays until “Earl” rescued it last fall. Still, many media people felt the show had underperformed with such a strong lead-out.

With last night’s showing, “Office” finally delivered on the potential that NBC saw in it by keeping the critical hit around despite dismally low numbers last spring. Should it remain strong, “Office” will be one of the most impressive turnaround stories in recent years.

Even better for NBC, new show “Four Kings,” which aired at 8:30 p.m., did quite well despite bad reviews, building on its “Will & Grace” lead-in and bettering the latter’s season-long average in the timeslot with a 4.2 rating. “Grace” now leads off the night.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:25 PM   #27
    SteelerMan
    Who dey? We dey!

My Tour Central Stats

Those first week numbers could be misleading. For example, I watched "Four Kings" last night, and I plan on never watching it again. I can't believe people like "My Name Is Earl"... I've watched it twice, and that was enough for me.
    Old 01-06-2006, 01:40 PM   #28
    SnakeEyes

My Tour Central Stats

For new comedies yes, but Office and Earl arent new so there is less of a question mark.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:55 PM   #29
    il bacio dolce
    yo no se manana

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SnakeEyes
    Most people I know watching the NBC version have seen the original. It's fantastic as is the NBC Office, in it's own right.

Not sure how office life is "fundamentally British"
    Me either.

I think this show is great.
    Old 01-06-2006, 02:03 PM   #30
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I think Earl is terrible.... but The Office is the only show on TV i actually try and plan to watch.

Haven't done that since Chappelle Show.
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote