The Investment Thread (help with savings, stocks, retirement funds, etc.) - Page 176 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-22-2021, 12:34 PM   #5251
snake911

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Investment Thread (help with savings, stocks, retirement funds, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post
Ok, crypto is down 60-70% from highs a couple months ago, so I'm going to take a look and buy. I've setup a Coinbase account.

What are some Coins to look at here during this firesale? I bought some ALGO, XLM, ADA, MATIC so far.
As a crypto enthusiast, but by no means an expert, I will offer that I have my crypto in almost entirely proof of stake coins that pay dividends/rewards (Algo, Tezos, and Cosmos mostly. Might get into some Solana if the market stays down for another couple months). I want my crypto creating more crypto. And I keep it all off Coinbase in my own wallets.
snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-22-2021, 01:04 PM   #5252
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snake911 View Post
    As a crypto enthusiast, but by no means an expert, I will offer that I have my crypto in almost entirely proof of stake coins that pay dividends/rewards (Algo, Tezos, and Cosmos mostly. Might get into some Solana if the market stays down for another couple months). I want my crypto creating more crypto. And I keep it all off Coinbase in my own wallets.
    I bought some Algo (because Zaj), Cosmos, and Solana today. I'll throw some into Tezos since you mentioned it and it has come back down again this afternoon. I am up about 10-15% on all the crypto I bought around 9-10am this morning. Hit the lucky bottom, for the moment anyway.

That said, I read only momentarily about the concept of "proof of stake". Coinbase makes it sound like you have to have those coins in your online Coinbase wallet. You are saying you still get what sounds like a crypto dividend even with an offline wallet?

How complicated are offline wallets? Since I am just messing around with small money, it's probably not worth my time to learn. But if let's say in a couple years this small investment grows, then I'd be more concerned about the usual Crypto hacking games etc that have been commonplace over the past 10 years.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2021, 01:22 PM   #5253
    snake911

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I bought some Algo (because Zaj), Cosmos, and Solana today. I'll throw some into Tezos since you mentioned it and it has come back down again this afternoon. I am up about 10-15% on all the crypto I bought around 9-10am this morning. Hit the lucky bottom, for the moment anyway.

That said, I read only momentarily about the concept of "proof of stake". Coinbase makes it sound like you have to have those coins in your online Coinbase wallet. You are saying you still get what sounds like a crypto dividend even with an offline wallet?

How complicated are offline wallets? Since I am just messing around with small money, it's probably not worth my time to learn. But if let's say in a couple years this small investment grows, then I'd be more concerned about the usual Crypto hacking games etc that have been commonplace over the past 10 years.

I went very slow and steady into my own crypto wallets and took it one at a time. Algo was the easiest to do as the official foundation wallet is very simple. Coinbase does take a chunk of your yield, for instance they are paying 5% on Cosmos, but I'm getting around 9.5% in my own wallet. Coinbase does have an upside of being insured against loss, and likely easier to recover your account if you lose your logon info.

And Coinbase makes it easy to just hold and collect the rewards, vs in my own Cosmos and Tezos wallets I had to research and select a validator to stake with (again, I went one by one researching each wallet and having a plan before moving that coin off CB, took me about 3 months total and I havent moved everything).

Basically when "your coins" are on coinbase, coinbase is keeping them in one big giant wallet and collecting lots and lots of free coins, and then crediting your account with them. Your account page on CB may say you have 100 Algo, but you dont. CB just owes you 100 ALGO should you decide to send it somewhere. In the meantime they stake your ALGO and take at least 25% of the rewards (which you agreed to). CB is great to get started and I'm very happy with what I learned using the platform. And for my larger holdings, as I learned and researched more, I moved things into my own wallets to collect the full rewards myself.

Keep asking questions, theres a ton to learn, and many of the coins have really great and helpful sub-reddits. If you have questions about any specific coin just ask and I'm happy to share what I learned and what my strategy is. And as with anything DYOR, and asking questions here can be part of that R.

Last edited by snake911; 06-22-2021 at 01:24 PM.
    Old 06-23-2021, 01:20 PM   #5254
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Hard to believe at one point I was up $2500 in Ethereum... if I go back even I’m pulling. This is fucking brutal.
    gonz085 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2021, 06:42 PM   #5255
    Timebomb07

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gonz085 View Post
    Hard to believe at one point I was up $2500 in Ethereum... if I go back even I’m pulling. This is fucking brutal.
    you must have missed the drop to $1700 yesterday.
    Timebomb07 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2021, 06:44 PM   #5256
    TypicalBilly14

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

All it takes is Gates, Bezos or Zuckerberg to say they're all in on doge and you'll see it creep back up to 70-80 cents.
    TypicalBilly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2021, 08:58 PM   #5257
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timebomb07 View Post
    you must have missed the drop to $1700 yesterday.
    I meant up $2500 since I invested. Not the market price lol. Thought that was common sense.
    gonz085 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-24-2021, 05:42 AM   #5258
    Timebomb07

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gonz085 View Post
    I meant up $2500 since I invested. Not the market price lol. Thought that was common sense.
    I just meant it was even lower than where it’s been the last two days.
    Old 06-30-2021, 09:44 AM   #5259
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Robinhood hit with record $70 million dollar fine for misleading customers and not supervising technology that failed and locked millions out of trading.

Using their platform for trading will always be bad news.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 07-06-2021, 12:33 PM   #5260
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

So when I decided to look into Corsair about a month ago I did it based on the idea of "invest in what you know." I know computers pretty well, so that's what made me think of Corsair. I wish I had thought about Newegg, which is my favorite computer parts store that I've been using for over 15 years. Newegg is up 280% in the last week for some reason.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2021, 07:56 AM   #5261
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Lots of across the board meme stocks, pot stocks, pharma stocks, and others getting crushed the past two weeks.

Are the stimulus-driven millennials getting paper hands and finally going extinct?

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 07-07-2021, 08:07 AM   #5262
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    So when I decided to look into Corsair about a month ago I did it based on the idea of "invest in what you know." I know computers pretty well, so that's what made me think of Corsair. I wish I had thought about Newegg, which is my favorite computer parts store that I've been using for over 15 years. Newegg is up 280% in the last week for some reason.

Windows 11 news, me thinks.
    unccrombie is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2021, 08:18 AM   #5263
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Lots of across the board meme stocks, pot stocks, pharma stocks, and others getting crushed the past two weeks.

Are the stimulus-driven millennials getting paper hands and finally going extinct?
    Maybe technicals and valuations are finally re-establishing themselves and sanity is beginning to take the reigns again. I mean, doesn’t anyone really think AMC should be trading at $45+ a share? GameStop above $180? People have been overpaying for these memes because they viewed the market as a game, but at some point they are going to want to take their winnings, right? Because if they don’t, and then something not-all-that-unreasonable happens (say, like GME going through bankruptcy/going under/being acquired), they know enough to know they’ll be stuck holding the bag.
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2021, 08:53 AM   #5264
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    I should clarify - I don’t think the market is all that far off on valuations at a macro level; I’m speaking to mostly these meme stocks. Earnings have been fairly strong and I think that’s correctly driven a lot of gains. We’ve been saying for years that “stocks are expensive”, and they are…historically speaking. But the persistent low interest rate environment is not really precedented so I think a lot of those historical comparisons are out the window. Where else can people put their money? If the answer is nowhere, I don’t think that I can say with certainty that things are being overvalued across the board - at least not the way it’s so blatantly obvious as it is with these meme stonks.

That, plus I think there’s still a fair amount of bargains in the market. I think some of the bigger tech stocks are probably UNDERvalued. They’ve all taken hits from the rotation out of the “WFH” stocks and I think some were unnecessarily dragged down. Like, Apple has traded flat for YTD/rolling 6. I think they have run. They’re one of a few examples like that, where the fundamentals are better (IMO) than the stock price performance.
    Apple up +12%ish since this post.

We all got caught up in the meme/retail frenzy that conventional thinking said everything was topped out and over priced, but there’s still some deals in the market, and tech was lagging where the result suggested they should be trading. MFST has had a nice month and a half as well.
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2021, 09:22 AM   #5265
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    Newegg has doubled again today. Up over 500% since last week. Full on meme territory.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by unccrombie View Post
    Windows 11 news, me thinks.
    Kind of doubtful, but maybe. I think it's purely meme related now.
    Old 07-07-2021, 01:09 PM   #5266
    kydmb99
    Jorts

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Apple and Microsoft only thing saving my portfolio. Last couple of days have been a bloodbath for me overall.
    kydmb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2021, 03:04 PM   #5267
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kydmb99 View Post
    Apple and Microsoft only thing saving my portfolio. Last couple of days have been a bloodbath for me overall.
    Yep, been a rough week. Not sure why since there have been no news or anything on the individual stocks I own to cause movement either way.
    Old 07-09-2021, 10:08 PM   #5268
    snake911

My Tour Central Stats

Getting off my focused Boglehead strategy and into degenerate crypto speculation (granted, less than 1% of my entire portfolio but still... crypto!) has my branching out into all kinds of fun investment ideas. Just put a tiny amount on Wefunder into a company called Pocket Properties that is looking to develop an app to tokenize fractional real estate shares for small investors. Very interesting stuff, and potential to make some money.

Ok, back to looking at my 4 fund index strategy and meditate on the slow and steady model.
    Old 07-12-2021, 07:26 AM   #5269
    AJF_41

My Tour Central Stats

time to buy EM tech stocks?

pinduu
    bidu
    baba
    tencent
    meitun

??

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-13-2021, 09:54 AM   #5270
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone have any cannabis industry holdings they like? I'm trying to get into that market, but the details around major publicly traded ones seem to be fuzzy at best.
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-13-2021, 09:59 AM   #5271
    Timebomb07

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post
    time to buy EM tech stocks?

pinduu
    bidu
    baba
    tencent
    meitun

??
    Why's that?
    Old 07-13-2021, 10:26 AM   #5272
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speilmen230 View Post
    Anyone have any cannabis industry holdings they like? I'm trying to get into that market, but the details around major publicly traded ones seem to be fuzzy at best.
    I got into a few in Jan I think and theyve been nothing but a head ache so far
    Old 07-13-2021, 10:29 AM   #5273
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

My Tour Central Stats

May I ask what the headache has been? Just underperforming?
    Old 07-13-2021, 10:43 AM   #5274
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

pretty much yeah
    Old 07-13-2021, 10:44 AM   #5275
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

and Carnival is killing me the last few weeks, what a drop off
    Old 07-13-2021, 10:54 AM   #5276
    kydmb99
    Jorts

My Tour Central Stats

Would think cannabis stocks are a pretty long term hold.
    Old 07-13-2021, 11:03 AM   #5277
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My thought as well, especially as it becomes more national.

Edit: Taking the same approach on gambling stocks. As it becomes more national, a handful of them are going to be the leaders. Would like a little bit of everyone even though in Colorado it is pretty clear who has the edge.

For reference, these are the ones I've been looking into: Flutter Entertainment (Fan Duel parent company), MGM, Caesars, Draft Kings, Penn National (Barstool), and Bally's (Pointsbet)

Last edited by Speilmen230; 07-13-2021 at 11:05 AM.
    Old 07-13-2021, 11:07 AM   #5278
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

Shows Seen: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    until Amazon gets into the industry and kills the little guys
    Old 07-13-2021, 11:23 AM   #5279
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

My Tour Central Stats

As an investor, does one see any benefit from a company being bought out?
    Old 07-13-2021, 11:27 AM   #5280
    kydmb99
    Jorts

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speilmen230 View Post
    As an investor, does one see any benefit from a company being bought out?
    Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the buying company will often pay out the existing shareholders of the company being bought for a premium to the current share price. I think it’s typically a good thing. Again, that’s my badic understanding so it’s probably more complicated.