Deep Dive DMB listening this weekend - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 02-22-2021, 12:03 PM   #1
HonestDenver1

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Deep Dive DMB listening this weekend

As per usual, I was plenty bored again this weekend and found myself doing a DMB deep dive like I haven't done in awhile. I listened to come ChesterCopperpot Soundcloud full shows from the early 90's. Both from fall 93... These 2 shows are just so top notch and just soundboards.. But it was so exciting hearing the band right before they made it big... They are in top form but still raw and willing to experiment..

Then I switched over to some Spring 02 tapes and dug into those quite a bit. Skipped around more than usual to get some interesting songs as opposed to whole shows.. I miss this period of the band most I think.

Then I scoured through a bunch of the warehouse releases that I haven't given any time to in years/decades and found so many countless gems.. It's amazing what time does... You'll see the Warehouse 8 volumes and just listen all the way through...Appreciating whoever curated it because it's truly amazing.. The one with the D&T songs with Stefan on the bass is pretty special... And then you get a ton of random awesome songs like a 21 minute Seek Up from the Gorge 07 that just blows your mind... A Dream So Real... Butterfly...

I listened to the Dave and Tim Europe 07 bonus disc that came with Radio City.. And discovered Dodo and an unreal version of Smooth Rider and a solo electric Can't Stop.... So cool.

I went on a drive and listened to the Cow Palace show again... It's really growing on me. Great mid 90's band getting ready to peak.. Energy and performance are top notch... It's just a little grinding on the ears and I'm not sure what it is.. Just the way it's mixed a bit... Oh well...

Also just finding gems like Let You Down, Get in Line, Mother Father etc...

I really tried to avoid the hits when I was doing this deep dive.. Even modern DMB songs that I haven't given a ton of time to like Write a Song or Beachball... There are some great officially released versions out there...

I finished it up last night with a selected listen to the XM 2004 show.. Pig and Stone are really all you need to know it's amazing... But Recently, Best of What's Around, The 04 songs in their infancy... All great..

I'll probably just continue this until the pandemic ends... Because once it does I'll be pining for free time to just listen to a few hours of DMB... It really healed my soul this weekend.

Last edited by HonestDenver1; 02-22-2021 at 12:05 PM.
HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-22-2021, 12:23 PM   #2
    notorious v.i.g

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Deep Dive DMB listening this weekend

That definitely happens to me. Sometimes i'll get a WH release and not think too much of it and then bam 10 years later I realize it's great. That can happen with shows too. Looking back almost always seems better that's why I tend to not complain too much about current stuff (setlists, albums, etc).
    Past: Newark, NJ (Prudential)
    notorious v.i.g is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2021, 12:49 PM   #3
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by notorious v.i.g View Post
    That definitely happens to me. Sometimes i'll get a WH release and not think too much of it and then bam 10 years later I realize it's great. That can happen with shows too. Looking back almost always seems better that's why I tend to not complain too much about current stuff (setlists, albums, etc).
    Yes. The longer I've been a fan the more I know to not get worked up about releases as they all tend to find their way to my ears, minus a few...

One of the Warehouse discs had a version of Angel on it that I even enjoyed all this time later.. I thought I'd sworn off that song 20 years ago...

It does seem in the present moment we're hoping for this epic thing every time.. But we all have our own expectations for what that is... It turns out most things the band releases are down right awesome once a bit of time is factored in...

I think too that when a new batch of songs comes out we don't quite know how to feel about them in relation to the ones we love... Mid 2000's you'd get a disc with Big Eyed Fish, Bartender, So Right, etc.. And just kind of assume you'd heard it all before... But 15 years later it truly is epic!

Even 2002 when songs like You Never Know were getting in regular set rotations, I didn't really think all that much of it. It was a decent enough song, but now 19 years later I'd kill for that song done THAT way at a show today ya know?

Just the little things...
    Old 02-25-2021, 11:08 AM   #4
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Give me 3 shows to listen to this weekend! preferably underrated or off the radar. GO!
    Old 02-25-2021, 04:05 PM   #5
    bowa36

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

5.16.02 Irvine, CA has a strange set and Warren Haynes guesting on the set closer
    6.24.04 Columbus, OH has a great DDTW and it's a great show
    7.24.13 Charlotte, NC is a relatively short set (because of the weather) but it has a lot of unique songs and a couple unique performances

I listen to these shows often
    Old 02-25-2021, 07:54 PM   #6
    samiota

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

2/27/93 playing a frat in auburn, alabama. just amazing to take your mind back to that party (not that i was there, but imagining). smoking 3 hour set with sbd sound.
    samiota is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-26-2021, 07:51 AM   #7
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks!!
    Old 02-26-2021, 07:53 AM   #8
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by samiota View Post
    2/27/93 playing a frat in auburn, alabama. just amazing to take your mind back to that party (not that i was there, but imagining). smoking 3 hour set with sbd sound.
    I know! I wish I could go back to those times. But I'm never a trend setter. I don't find new music all that often. It's likely I wouldn't have given DMB a chance... Which I didn't until 1999 anyways... But yes. If I could have known they were going to be what they were and realized it, hell yes. What a party that would have been.