I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good - Page 6 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > Archive > 'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Album Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-09-2009, 06:10 AM   #151
z28snksknr
Seeking a Remedy

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

I agree with every negative comment made about Baby Blue. It's musically boring and never finds a rhythm or groove. Lyrically, it sounds like a bunch of scrap love song lines were loaded into a shotgun and shot at the wall- whatever sticks was the lyrics.

That and I do not see the Roi connection:

Examples:
1. "Confess, your kiss still knocks me off my legs." (try forcing a Roi connection on this one I dare you)
2. "‘cause you’ll forever be my one true broken heart" (ever refer to a dead friend or relative as a broken heart?... me either)
3. "Goodbye my love" (again, ever refer to a heterosexual male-male relationship as "my love"?)
4. "You give, you give, to this I can attest You made me, you made me.
You and me forever, baby." (I can see this for someone's first love or their mother, but not a friend)
5. The first time I saw you was like a punch right through my chest (see #4 above as reference to a first love. for everyone who is forcing this line to be "when he first saw Roi or the first time he heard Roi play- STOP IT.)

There. that's probably 80% of the significant lyrics of the song, all not being able to link to Roi in any reasonable fashion. You can't tell me the other 20% should be taken as such. You're forcing the issue because you saw someone else say it was for Roi. Get your own thoughts.

P.S. - If this song were on Some Devil it would have a chance since Dave was taking a simpler approach to music there. Here, its lame and takes the spot of better songs that only the people that paid $60 get to hear (beach ball, #27, and others). This is probably the first "full band album" song that I honestly don't see myself ever wanting to listen to or even tolerate when its on.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-09-2009, 06:11 AM   #152
    MistreatedLewis

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by z28snksknr View Post
    I agree with every negative comment made about Baby Blue. It's musically boring and never finds a rhythm or groove. Lyrically, it sounds like a bunch of scrap love song lines were loaded into a shotgun and shot at the wall- whatever sticks was the lyrics.

Examples:
    1. "Confess, your kiss still knocks me off my legs." (try forcing a Roi connection on this one I dare you)
    2. "‘cause you’ll forever be my one true broken heart" (ever refer to a dead friend or relative as a broken heart?... me either)
    3. "Goodbye my love" (again, ever refer to a heterosexual male-male relationship as "my love"?)
    You and me forever, baby." (I can see this for someone's first love or their mother, but not a friend)
    5. The first time I saw you was like a punch right through my chest (see #4 above as reference to a first love. for everyone who is forcing this line to be "when he first saw Roi or the first time he heard Roi play- STOP IT.)

There. that's probably 80% of the significant lyrics of the song, all not being able to link to Roi in any reasonable fashion. You can't tell me the other 20% should be taken as such. You're forcing the issue because you saw someone else say it was for Roi. Get your own thoughts.

P.S. - If this song were on Some Devil it would have a chance since Dave was taking a simpler approach to music there. Here, its lame and takes the spot of better songs that only the people that paid $60 get to hear (beach ball, #27, and others). This is probably the first "full band album" song that I honestly don't see myself ever wanting to listen to or even tolerate when its on.
    So you actually want to listen to or tolerate the Stand Up garbage.

I C.
    Old 06-09-2009, 06:25 AM   #153
    z28snksknr
    Seeking a Remedy

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

While it's definately the lowest rated album from DMB, it's still better than most of the garbage music out there that would be the alternative, so yeah I listen to it and tolerate it and enjoy it on some level. It's just not on the level of any of their other albums.

A BAD DMB album is still a good album IMO compared to 90% of music today. In the antsmarching.org world of music, however, I guess it can only be described with "unlistenable" without getting flamed. I don't agree with that.........

but I guess you do.
    Old 06-09-2009, 06:27 AM   #154
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    While it's definately the lowest rated album from DMB, it's still better than most of the garbage music out there that would be the alternative, so yeah I listen to it and tolerate it and enjoy it on some level. It's just not on the level of any of their other albums.

A BAD DMB album is still a good album IMO compared to 90% of music today.
    In the antsmarching.org world of music, however, I guess it can only be described with "unlistenable" without getting flamed. I don't agree with that.........

but I guess you do.
    Maybe on the radio. But if you mean in general, you aren't looking hard enough for good music.

And it's not that I think you have to find it unlistenable. It's just funny to me that you find Baby Blue unlistenable but all of Stand Up to be tolerable.
    Old 06-09-2009, 06:32 AM   #155
    Bafugama
    I'm Not Bruce Willis.

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

^^ Baby Blue, like every song on BWGK, is better than every song on the Stand Up album... Baby Blue is in fact better than a whole lot of songs on other albums by this band, but it's unquestionably better than every song on Stand Up, I can't believe people think otherwise.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by efraser77 View Post
    You are the John McClane of teh Interwebz, cuz you killed it just now.
    Old 06-09-2009, 06:38 AM   #156
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Trouble With You is better than every song on Stand Up. I wish they'd try and get into a bit of a groove with that one live, I think it could be a great percussive tune in the stylings of Stewart Copeland.

Thank God this album wasn't Stand Up pt.2
    Old 06-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #157
    number4ty1
    Meh

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Big 3 material, in my opinon:

Lying in The Hands Of God
    Baby Blue
    Squirm
    Seven
    Spaceman

Amazing what a minute can do
    Old 06-09-2009, 06:47 AM   #158
    inmytree

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Examples:

Well, first of all, Dave (who wrote the song) said that it was a goodbye song for Roi, so that's a pretty good hint. Also, this is not the first time Dave has framed a death as the loss of a loved one; he's also said Grace is Gone was about the death of his stepfather, and Grace is a woman in the song. All your things above you say are forced seem like they can easily be about Roi to me; they don't have to be, which is probably one of the reasons why it is a good song.
    Old 06-09-2009, 06:52 AM   #159
    Norman Smiley
    Fucking Douche

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Examples:

Dave has talked about this song saying that it is a goodbye to Roi -- in which he narrorates as a man saying goodbye to a woman. It is how he chose to write it. I happen to think that's a great way to not force it.

The music is amazing as well.

I don't care if no one likes it, but I am thoroughly surprised that so many people don't dig this amazing song.

"I do not read the reviews. No, I am not singing for you."

Last edited by Norman Smiley; 06-09-2009 at 06:53 AM.
    Old 06-09-2009, 07:27 AM   #160
    andymarching09

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tabitha View Post
    "That's what she said"

Actually that's what Carter said in the Fuse Doc.
    At least someone picked it up.
    Old 06-09-2009, 08:34 AM   #161
    sugarwill7

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Examples:

probably one of the least intelligent posts i've seen on the boards in awhile outside of the "DMB should bring a rapper on tour" thread
    Old 06-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #162
    kmknd1
    Kmknd1

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmoothD41 View Post

Baby Blue shits ALL OVER Sister. As someone else mentioned, Dave turned something incredibly cheesy and awful (Sister) into something honest and beautiful (Baby Blue). Not sure what you mean by all over the place, so I won't comment on that; however, the music is beautiful, the lyrics evoke or nearly evoke tears from most that listen to it, and I think it is easily top 10 all time as far as Dave's vocals go....flawless.

it is far from good vocally in my opinion. i actually think he sounds downright awful at points in the song. his voice sounds so strained at points. definitely a weak vocal performance and i'm very surprised they released it that way.
    Old 06-09-2009, 09:20 AM   #163
    Taylor/Martin

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmknd1 View Post
    it is far from good vocally in my opinion. i actually think he sounds downright awful at points in the song. his voice sounds so strained at points. definitely a weak vocal performance and i'm very surprised they released it that way.
    You consider that vocal performance to be weak? Really? I find it raw, and it really showcases the emotions in Dave's voice for that song.
    You mean you don't enjoy unfinished versions of song like Raven from tLWS? I really love the part when he goes "Rosingraysonthis" and "woahchagotyothang"
    Old 06-09-2009, 09:21 AM   #164
    Ryan R

My Tour Central Stats

i like this song a lot. id love to see it as an E1 slot in a show, NOT followed by everyday/stay haha
    Old 06-09-2009, 09:37 AM   #165
    sugarwill7

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    There was a reason they released it that way
    Old 06-09-2009, 10:00 AM   #166
    kmknd1
    Kmknd1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taylor/Martin View Post
    You consider that vocal performance to be weak? Really? I find it raw, and it really showcases the emotions in Dave's voice for that song.
    there's a fine line between raw emotion and just simply not being able to hit a note. it's just painful to hear sometimes.
    Old 06-09-2009, 10:29 AM   #167
    CrAzYEasyDMB04
    This is the Last Stop

Shows Seen: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I can pretty comfortably? wtf does that mean...
    How bout I can comfortably say ... wtf?
    Old 06-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #168
    crawfish

My Tour Central Stats

Can't people on Ants just enjoy the damn song and not compare it to shit that was made in the 90's????
    Old 06-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #169
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    Can't people on Ants just enjoy the damn song and not compare it to shit that was made in the 90's????
    No, sorry. That would be a boring conversation if everyone just said "I enjoy the song" over and over.
    Old 06-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #170
    crawfish

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MistreatedLewis View Post
    No, sorry. That would be a boring conversation if everyone just said "I enjoy the song" over and over.
    Don't you guys ever get tired of talking about/comparing BW to the old stuff?
    Old 06-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #171
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    Don't you guys ever get tired of talking about/comparing BW to the old stuff?
    No, it's been out for like a week. Don't you get tired of saying, "I enjoy the song?"
    Old 06-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #172
    CBjornson
    There's no time tonight

Shows Seen: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I think that the people who don't like the song don't understand where it is coming from, it is a love song, yes, but from a different point of view.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcwyffe View Post
    what the fuck do you know?
    Old 06-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #173
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CBjornson View Post
    I think that the people who don't like the song don't understand where it is coming from, it is a love song, yes, but from a different point of view.
    I kind of think people who don't like the song just don't like the song.

But perhaps you are right.

The idea of writing about the death of a man within the guise of a lost love of a woman song was first used by Dave in Grace Is Gone to my knowledge. Same concept at work here. But what really grabs me about this song is the beautiful melodies of the guitar and vocals intertwining.
    Old 06-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #174
    ProudestMonkE31
    Walking Tall, Head High

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

The idea of writing about the death of a man within the guise of a lost love of a woman song was first used by Dave in Grace Is Gone to my knowledge. Same concept at work here. But what really grabs me about this song is the beautiful melodies of the guitar and vocals intertwining.
    Exactly, the vocals are what do it for me, specifically. Also, if I'm not mistaken, "Oh" is another song that Dave sings about a girl with reference to a male loved one. This song is essentially perfect, in my opinion.
    Old 06-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #175
    CBjornson
    There's no time tonight

Shows Seen: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

thats what gets me. The vocals sound a little bit rattled but I appreciate it like that.... it is obviously about the loss of a dear friend, a rattling event to say the least
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcwyffe View Post
    what the fuck do you know?
    Old 06-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #176
    SteveIsGood347
    Reckless Mind

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Examples:

This is very likely the dumbest post Ive seen in a long time. I'm not sure how you can say that a song about losing someone, on an album dedicated to Leroi, isn't about him. Also the fact that Dave said this is about Roi.

I feel you might want to consider, and I know this sounds pretty shocking, that occasionally lyrics in songs aren't to be taken perfectly literally. I even heard that sometimes there is a deeper meaning beyond the literal translation.
    Old 06-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #177
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

Shows Seen: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Examples:

Terrible, terrible arguements. Dave himself said on a radio interview that the song was about Roi disguised as a love song. So that completely ruins your post. Have fun listening to Everyday.
    Old 06-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #178
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    there's a fine line between raw emotion and just simply not being able to hit a note. it's just painful to hear sometimes.

He can hit those notes. Trust me, if they wanted it to sound perfect with every note hit perfectly, it would be that way. There is a reason why is sounds like it does.
    Old 06-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #179
    mja271
    Big Mike

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I find this song to just be ok. It's heartfelt and touching but not something I find myself wanting to listen to often.
    Say a prayer for my soul señorita
    Old 06-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #180
    kmknd1
    Kmknd1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by som3d3vil34 View Post
    He can hit those notes. Trust me, if they wanted it to sound perfect with every note hit perfectly, it would be that way. There is a reason why is sounds like it does.
    no one should purposely not be hitting notes just so something sounds more heartfelt or whatever. it pains my ears to listen to this song. I know dave can hit the notes and that's why i don't understand why they would release it the way it is. it could sound 10x better.