**Official Running Thread** - Page 107 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 10-25-2017, 05:51 AM   #3181
atrippingbillie
gardt

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **Official Running Thread**

Anyone follow the Moab 240?

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-26-2017, 08:15 AM   #3182
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by redsox14 View Post
    Ran my first half marathon on Sunday.

I ran it in 2:21. It was under my goal of 2:30 but I'm a little upset because my knee started to give out around mile 7 so my pace slowed down considerably. Maybe have hit 2:10 or so if it weren't for the knee.

Overall very happy though!

So awesome all things considering, hope your knee gets better quickly, congratulations to you and the rest of the crew!
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-06-2017, 09:10 AM   #3183
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Good day for American running yesterday, eh?
    cazzie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-06-2017, 10:56 AM   #3184
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

So on October 20th, I went for an 8 mile run. Felt great...good pace. About 2 hours later, my left foot started to hurt...sole of foot, on the outside, just in front of my heel. Heel itself doesn't hurt, neither does the ball of my foot...just the transfer between the two. Next day it hurt pretty bad, and it's hurt ever since. I only have 2 pairs of shoes I can wear without it hurting. It's feeling a bit better, but still nowhere close to being able to run again and still can't wear the majority of my shoes. I can ride bike fine...no pain.

So my question is...how much longer should I go before getting it checked? Anyone have similar injury in the past? Hoping it's just like a deep bruise and not something like a stress fracture.
    MDPrompter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-06-2017, 11:42 AM   #3185
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cazzie34 View Post
    Good day for American running yesterday, eh?
    Guessing this is in reference to Shalane Flanagan's incredible win yesterday at the NYC Marathon. Didn't hear about until later that day, and was shocked, happy, elated... list just goes on and on. Ranks right up there with Meb's win at Boston in 2014.
    Old 11-06-2017, 12:04 PM   #3186
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdmarvich View Post
    So on October 20th, I went for an 8 mile run. Felt great...good pace. About 2 hours later, my left foot started to hurt...sole of foot, on the outside, just in front of my heel. Heel itself doesn't hurt, neither does the ball of my foot...just the transfer between the two. Next day it hurt pretty bad, and it's hurt ever since. I only have 2 pairs of shoes I can wear without it hurting. It's feeling a bit better, but still nowhere close to being able to run again and still can't wear the majority of my shoes. I can ride bike fine...no pain.

So my question is...how much longer should I go before getting it checked? Anyone have similar injury in the past? Hoping it's just like a deep bruise and not something like a stress fracture.

I fractured the cuboid bone in my right foot in 2011, was in a walking boot for two months, I hope you don't have the same thing. For any injury I always suggest staying ahead of things and get it checked right away as opposed to waiting around, getting out of shape and still not having any answers.

Shalane was incredible yesterday, I couldn't believe how easily she ran away from Mary Keitany
    Old 11-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #3187
    laura22

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

i think im gonna bite the bullet and register for a May half marathon

http://mainecoast262.com/ kennebunk maine- for anyone looking for a full or half- this looks like a good race with a pretty course !
    laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-10-2017, 11:35 AM   #3188
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

updatE??
    Old 11-10-2017, 11:54 AM   #3189
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    I fractured the cuboid bone in my right foot in 2011, was in a walking boot for two months, I hope you don't have the same thing. For any injury I always suggest staying ahead of things and get it checked right away as opposed to waiting around, getting out of shape and still not having any answers.
    Yeah I totally should have gotten it checked out right away but.....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laura22 View Post
    updatE??
    Alas I waited. It's actually feeling much better, though every now and then I step on it just right and get a shot of pain. I'm still only wearing one pair of shoes out and about bc I've been too much of a chicken shit to try others. I may try out a pair of boots/casual shoes tonight and see how it goes. I still haven't run since. But staying in shape via bike.
    Old 11-10-2017, 12:30 PM   #3190
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah I totally should have gotten it checked out right away but.....

Alas I waited. It's actually feeling much better, though every now and then I step on it just right and get a shot of pain. I'm still only wearing one pair of shoes out and about bc I've been too much of a chicken shit to try others. I may try out a pair of boots/casual shoes tonight and see how it goes. I still haven't run since. But staying in shape via bike.
    was the pain always a sharp shooting pain?
    Old 11-10-2017, 12:50 PM   #3191
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

What kind of winter/rain gear do you all use? I am in the market for a jacket to help brave the weather.

https://antsmarching.org/forum/showp...stcount=126148
    JRS1386 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #3192
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRS1386 View Post
    What kind of winter/rain gear do you all use? I am in the market for a jacket to help brave the weather.

I'm in New England where it can be pretty rough.

30's and 40's - long sleeve wicking running shirt, depending on wind maybe a lightweight top like a windbreaker or zip long sleeve, thin running gloves, either shorts or long tights

20's and 30's - running tee, long sleeve running shirt over that, jacket, long tights, light gloves, wool running hat

0 - 20's - running tee, long sleeve running shirt over that, zip long sleeve, running jacket, heavier gloves, compression shorts, long tights, running pants over tights, wool running hat

I forget what company makes my heavier running jacket but it's still fairly lightweight, regardless of how cold it is I always prefer to run in lightweight layers as opposed to something bulky. Biggest thing I try to do when the temp is painfully cold is get into the woods and out of the wind.

Last edited by ToySoldier#34; 11-10-2017 at 01:08 PM.
    Old 11-10-2017, 01:53 PM   #3193
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    was the pain always a sharp shooting pain?
    for the first 2 weeks it was kind of a constant pain (4 out of 10) with occasional shooting pain (7/10) if I stepped on it funny.
    Old 11-10-2017, 01:56 PM   #3194
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

My Tour Central Stats

If it's really cold/windy, I'll use a balaclava for my head/ears/face. typically base layer of compression shorts and long sleeve shirt, running pants, fleece 1/2 zip, thin gloves. sometimes I'll layer another shirt between the compression and the fleece, but this usually gets me too hot.
    Old 11-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #3195
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

hand warmers are everything for winter running
    Old 11-11-2017, 09:49 PM   #3196
    rustysurf83

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

So was talking to my 9yo daughter about the 5k we are going to run tomorrow...she is super pumped because it is for Meals on Wheels. Somehow we got on the discussion of fitness tests for work and...I just watched her do 503 sit-ups in a row. Is that normal? I encouraged her to stop but she said she felt fine. I made her stop at 500...I don’t think I can do 80.
    rustysurf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-12-2017, 02:34 PM   #3197
    rustysurf83

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Daughter was in beast mode this morning. 27:17 for a 5k is a new pr for her by quite a bit. We’ve got a few more races this year, 10k in 2 weeks and 5k the first week of December. She has been on me to let her run a half, I think she will be ready by next Spring.
    rustysurf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-13-2017, 07:08 AM   #3198
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rustysurf83 View Post
    So was talking to my 9yo daughter about the 5k we are going to run tomorrow...she is super pumped because it is for Meals on Wheels. Somehow we got on the discussion of fitness tests for work and...I just watched her do 503 sit-ups in a row. Is that normal? I encouraged her to stop but she said she felt fine. I made her stop at 500...I don’t think I can do 80.
    Quote:
    Daughter was in beast mode this morning. 27:17 for a 5k is a new pr for her by quite a bit. We’ve got a few more races this year, 10k in 2 weeks and 5k the first week of December. She has been on me to let her run a half, I think she will be ready by next Spring.
    Said it before and I will say it again, really enjoy these posts. Your daughter has that internal competitive drive that is just part of her. Not learned, not taught, it is part of her. I run with a few people that have similar traits. No matter the race, the distance, the activity, once inside the ropes it is game on.
    Old 11-16-2017, 02:42 PM   #3199
    mr.MikeD
    Heisenberg says "relax"

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

this is wild
    https://deadspin.com/camille-herron-...-ov-1820514639
    The beer at mile 80 is a nice touch.
    mr.MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-21-2017, 09:06 AM   #3200
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Does anybody here do yoga? Have any thoughts on it?

After having leg surgery in March of last year followed by a brutal post surgery recovery I have been pretty healthy for a year, now the same area I had surgery on is injured and I have a meeting with my surgeon on Monday. I'm completely fearing having to go through the same thing again, but one way or the other I feel like I need to find a way to become more injury resistant. Also, I would like to be strong overall on a more consistent basis. I get my core, hips, hamstrings, etc. strong in addition to running when I'm training for a big race but aside from that I don't work on it nearly enough. Maybe yoga could be helpful in avoiding injury and being stronger / more flexible on a regular basis? I hate lifting.

Last edited by ToySoldier#34; 11-21-2017 at 09:08 AM.
    Old 11-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #3201
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

After having leg surgery in March of last year followed by a brutal post surgery recovery I have been pretty healthy for a year, now the same area I had surgery on is injured and I have a meeting with my surgeon on Monday. I'm completely fearing having to go through the same thing again, but one way or the other I feel like I need to find a way to become more injury resistant. Also, I would like to be strong overall on a more consistent basis. I get my core, hips, hamstrings, etc. strong in addition to running when I'm training for a big race but aside from that I don't work on it nearly enough. Maybe yoga could be helpful in avoiding injury and being stronger / more flexible on a regular basis? I hate lifting.
    I'm no expert, but from what I've read you gotta lift. I'm sure yoga helps as well, but don't think it replaces lifting.

Have you tried a simplified lifting routine? Like 5 sets of 5 or 1 set to failure for 5-6 major compound movements (squats, bench, pull downs, rows, etc.). Doing those 1 time per week for max of 1 hour in gym is probably sufficient for injury prevention.
    Old 11-21-2017, 03:14 PM   #3202
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

what was the surgery? IT band right?

what is your current hip strengthening routine? how often a week?
    Old 11-22-2017, 08:58 AM   #3203
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I'm a hardcore yoga person- yoga is definitely helpful in both strength and flexibility as long as you stay consistent with it. It really depends on the type of flow you do- when I was running 5 times a week I definitely benefitted from power yoga, especially post run. I would take class physiclaly 3-5 times a week but in-home yoga is fine. It definitely made my legs a lot stronger and the stretching kept me loose especially with shin splints/hammy soreness. Definitely take it easy on the hips. There's a ton of big hip stretches that are popular in yoga but if you're injured try to ease into hip flexibility rather than overdoing it.

this is a pretty good power flow, the stretches are a little advanced so obviously skip or modify what you need, also hold a lot of the stretches longer as needed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZsKcL05Rcg

also good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtuzNaaWZRQ

Last edited by justinandimcool; 11-22-2017 at 09:01 AM.
    justinandimcool is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-22-2017, 09:46 AM   #3204
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    what was the surgery? IT band right?

what is your current hip strengthening routine? how often a week?

Yeah, I split my IT band in my left leg and my vastus lateralis under it was herniating through it. It was the second time it has happened, the first time in 2009 they stapled the IT band back together, last year they released the IT band and there is a hole that will always be there. Both surgeries they cut down to the bone and it took months of PT to get my leg to bend past 30 degrees, most of spring 2016 was spent having a PT force my leg to bend while I was sitting at the end of a table having my leg bounce off of it under the force.

I do core workouts somewhat consistently and for my hips I have a rubber band that I put around my quads and walk sideways slow motion with. It definitely helps improve hip strength and I was given that by PT, but there's got to be an overall strength / flexibility thing I'm missing. I'm ridiculously flexible (according to my surgeon, PT, and a few coaches) but don't work on flexibility enough, has lead to a lot of ruptures, tears, hernias, etc.

Last edited by ToySoldier#34; 11-22-2017 at 09:47 AM.
    Old 11-22-2017, 02:12 PM   #3205
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, I split my IT band in my left leg and my vastus lateralis under it was herniating through it. It was the second time it has happened, the first time in 2009 they stapled the IT band back together, last year they released the IT band and there is a hole that will always be there. Both surgeries they cut down to the bone and it took months of PT to get my leg to bend past 30 degrees, most of spring 2016 was spent having a PT force my leg to bend while I was sitting at the end of a table having my leg bounce off of it under the force.

I do core workouts somewhat consistently and for my hips I have a rubber band that I put around my quads and walk sideways slow motion with. It definitely helps improve hip strength and I was given that by PT, but there's got to be an overall strength / flexibility thing I'm missing. I'm ridiculously flexible (according to my surgeon, PT, and a few coaches) but don't work on flexibility enough, has lead to a lot of ruptures, tears, hernias, etc.

if anything, i would focus more on strengthening the glute medius. the routine/explanation from this guy is very helpful http://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/t...demonstration/

do you use a foam roller?
    Old 11-28-2017, 07:29 AM   #3206
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Very positive meeting yesterday with the surgeon who has operated on my left illiotibial band twice, I have a lot of muscle imbalances right now and everything is twisting too much from running and especially golf, things are out of whack but no surgery needed. Will be going to a few rounds of PT and then yoga which he highly suggested for injury prevention and keeping everything strong and "symmetrical". I feel like a huge monkey is off my back!
    Old 11-28-2017, 03:26 PM   #3207
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Very positive meeting yesterday with the surgeon who has operated on my left illiotibial band twice, I have a lot of muscle imbalances right now and everything is twisting too much from running and especially golf, things are out of whack but no surgery needed. Will be going to a few rounds of PT and then yoga which he highly suggested for injury prevention and keeping everything strong and "symmetrical". I feel like a huge monkey is off my back!

that's awesome!

you inspired me with your last post. I started doing 20 min of stretching every am after waking up and 20 min every evening at some point. I don't know if it's placebo but I literally feel faster and stronger already
    Old 01-06-2018, 05:19 AM   #3208
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

can anyone recommend a good half marathon plan?

think i convinced a few friends to try the half in kennebunk maine this may i've never trained for a half before so looking forward to it

and i may have convinced another friend to tackle the twin cities marathon in MN with me. this fall!
    Old 01-06-2018, 11:26 AM   #3209
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    can anyone recommend a good half marathon plan?

think i convinced a few friends to try the half in kennebunk maine this may i've never trained for a half before so looking forward to it

and i may have convinced another friend to tackle the twin cities marathon in MN with me. this fall!
    I used NYRR's online, virtual trainer for the NYC marathon this past year and was very pleased with the whole process and results. it is $29.95 for any half and $49.95 for any full marathon, can be a NYRR event or other race. You simply put in your info (i.e. how many days a week you run, average mile per week, results for any races in the 60 days, what day of the week you want your long run, day you want off each week, etc...) and it spits out a training plan that is based off that info. You can also alter the information at any point in your training and it will update the plan as needed, or if you miss workouts it will adjust the plan as well, so it is very flexible.

The NYRR virtual training plan will give you full training information for each workout, from a regular run to a long run to any speed work, with a break down of the paces for any workout. If you are hooked in to Starva, you can connect your account to the virtual training plan and it will simply upload the workout when you are done to the virtual training plan and provide good analytics from that workout and be able to adjust future workouts as needed.

Worth a gander if you are exploring new options.

http://www.nyrr.org/train-with-us/training-programs
    Old 01-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #3210
    jcc522
    Take Warning

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Insanity.