**Official Running Thread** - Page 103 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 03-20-2017, 11:15 AM   #3061
ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **Official Running Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
Thanks! I've been trying to determine what kind of running style I have and if I'm landing properly. I was trying to gauge that on the treadmill yesterday. It looks like I'm doing a mid foot strike. I tried a heel strike and it hurt like crazy so I abandon that. The toe strike was really hard for me to do and threw me off more than it did good. I'm going to count my steps next time to ensure I'm hitting the 180 per minute to see about working on that.

So, the treadmill itself is a tough place to work on stride mechanics for most people, I would recommend going to a flat place outside where you can go back and forth about 100 meters. A straightaway on a track is the same distance if you have one available. Your body is moving forward and the road is coming at you so when you are landing with a heel strike it is the equivalent of driving with square wheels, you are running slower (breaking) and having all of the shock from the road go into your legs. You want to be running with a mid foot strike, to do so run tall and lean slightly forward without bending at the waist (this is where core strength comes into play) until you start to fall forward due to gravity. When doing so make sure your knees are high going forward, this gives you all of the room to come down on your mid foot and be pushing off when you land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82ghOr78FcU

The 180 steps per minute is a great goal, but at this stage don't worry about hitting the exact number as much as having an overall emphasis on higher cadence. You should always have a high cadence regardless of how fast or slow you are running.
ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #3062
    laura22

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    NYC Half done and in the books. Such a great race and fun day. No time to waste though, back to training this week for the full next month.

Laura, how did Shamrock go? Did you find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow? Or at least at the finish line?
    the weather was wild. mainly periods of straight downpouring, except when it turned into sleet. gale winds. zero fans because of this weather, justifiably so by mile 14 i was so soaked it felt like i had jumped into the ocean

still ran it and managed to have fun. finished in 4:03, not my fastest but also not my slowest. proud of the time given the conditions. and with negative splits . work today was rough

my bib # was 666
    laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-20-2017, 04:17 PM   #3063
    rustysurf83

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Ran a 5 mile race with my 8 year old last weekend while the wife ran the 3 mile with our 5 year old. Oldest one slayed it and came in at 46:40, I really think she can get a sub 25 5k by the end of the season once she has her soccer legs underneath her. The 3 mile was by far the most fun our youngest has had during a race, made it the entire time without a walking break. Next up is a midnight 5k with both on 1 April, followed by a 10k for our oldest on 23 April. Bloomsday with them in May should be a fun time.
    rustysurf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-20-2017, 04:36 PM   #3064
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laura22 View Post
    the weather was wild. mainly periods of straight downpouring, except when it turned into sleet. gale winds. zero fans because of this weather, justifiably so by mile 14 i was so soaked it felt like i had jumped into the ocean

still ran it and managed to have fun. finished in 4:03, not my fastest but also not my slowest. proud of the time given the conditions. and with negative splits . work today was rough

my bib # was 666

Great job Laura, another one down and a tough one at that
    Old 03-20-2017, 06:11 PM   #3065
    NKAWGNEATO

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

my bib # was 666
    surprised you didn't run the New Bedford Half, Laura.
    NKAWGNEATO is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-21-2017, 08:05 AM   #3066
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

my bib # was 666
    Damn, that crazy and right on for sticking it out. I have only done a half in weather similar to that (no sleet, just rain, rain and more rain) and it was bad enough. Great finishing time and the negative split shows how committed you were to kicking that marathon's ass.

BTW, love the bib number.
    Old 03-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #3067
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rustysurf83 View Post
    Ran a 5 mile race with my 8 year old last weekend while the wife ran the 3 mile with our 5 year old. Oldest one slayed it and came in at 46:40, I really think she can get a sub 25 5k by the end of the season once she has her soccer legs underneath her. The 3 mile was by far the most fun our youngest has had during a race, made it the entire time without a walking break. Next up is a midnight 5k with both on 1 April, followed by a 10k for our oldest on 23 April. Bloomsday with them in May should be a fun time.
    I love these posts. Your girls just kick such major ass, it is awesome. Being a parent myself, I can see your smile and feel your joy as you write these posts. Proud dad moments for sure.
    Old 04-02-2017, 04:51 PM   #3068
    rustysurf83

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Did a 3.5 mile midnight fun run with the fam last night which the girls thought was super cool (especially since they got a ridiculous amount of glow stick paraphernalia). Both of them slayed it, 8 year old came in under 30 and 5 year old was right around 36. There's an 8 mile trail run coming up that I might do with the oldest, but the elevation profile looks heinous. She will definitely stomp Bloomsday if she can get through that. Meh, screw it, we're doing it.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg LL.jpg (28.5 KB, 9 views)
    rustysurf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #3069
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rustysurf83 View Post
    Did a 3.5 mile midnight fun run with the fam last night which the girls thought was super cool (especially since they got a ridiculous amount of glow stick paraphernalia). Both of them slayed it, 8 year old came in under 30 and 5 year old was right around 36. There's an 8 mile trail run coming up that I might do with the oldest, but the elevation profile looks heinous. She will definitely stomp Bloomsday if she can get through that. Meh, screw it, we're doing it.
    Awesome to hear about the race. Glow sticks FTW! Also, you sure do like running those insane elevation races.
    Old 04-02-2017, 05:57 PM   #3070
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

This is a stupid question.

When I finish a run - my calves are supposed to be tight, right? I've noticed when I finish my runs my calves/achilles will feel tight, almost like a pump you get after weightlifting, and wondered if that was normal or I need to do more stretching.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-03-2017, 04:22 AM   #3071
    Timebomb07

Shows Seen: 48

My Tour Central Stats

Suggestions on a good pair of running shoes?
    Timebomb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-03-2017, 05:54 AM   #3072
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

When I finish a run - my calves are supposed to be tight, right? I've noticed when I finish my runs my calves/achilles will feel tight, almost like a pump you get after weightlifting, and wondered if that was normal or I need to do more stretching.

That's normal for getting used to running and your body will adapt, do stretch though calves and Achilles
    Old 04-03-2017, 05:56 AM   #3073
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timebomb07 View Post
    Suggestions on a good pair of running shoes?

Go to a running specialty store and have someone there nail down what works best for you
    Old 04-03-2017, 06:53 AM   #3074
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Whatever it is, be smart and safe with it. I am currently dealing with either a serious calf strain or muscle pull. Thankfully there is no bruising or skin discoloring so I am pretty sure there is not a muscle tear. Had to drop down to the half from the full I have on the 15th. No reason in trying to pound out 26.2 and risk further damage. So, going to take it easy this week (that means trying to not run at all) then take it really easy next week and try to get to the start line some what healthy to get through the half.
    Old 04-03-2017, 07:15 AM   #3075
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    That's normal for getting used to running and your body will adapt, do stretch though calves and Achilles
    Quote:
    Whatever it is, be smart and safe with it. I am currently dealing with either a serious calf strain or muscle pull. Thankfully there is no bruising or skin discoloring so I am pretty sure there is not a muscle tear. Had to drop down to the half from the full I have on the 15th. No reason in trying to pound out 26.2 and risk further damage. So, going to take it easy this week (that means trying to not run at all) then take it really easy next week and try to get to the start line some what healthy to get through the half.
    Thanks for the replies!

I've been going home and doing some light stretching, foam rolling and icing after my runs. It seems to be helping because they typically feel almost 100% the next day (usually around 90-95%).

I'm cautious with stretching because in early March I was focusing on my stretching and definitely strained my calves. Apparently I can't tell the difference between good pain and bad pain (it felt good when I was stretching).
    Old 04-03-2017, 07:15 AM   #3076
    Timebomb07

Shows Seen: 48

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Go to a running specialty store and have someone there nail down what works best for you
    Word. Will do.
    Timebomb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-08-2017, 02:16 PM   #3077
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Competed in and finished my first race ever this morning. It was only a 5K but I'm incredible proud of it. This time last year I was walking around (unknowingly) on a fractured ankle. The recovery process was...extended, to say the least. Up until about a month ago I wasn't sure I could even complete a 5K because the pain never would really leave me. But about a month ago I took a big step back, adjusted my training and have eased back into it.

I finished this morning in 32 minutes and averaged about a 11-minute mile. I had set a goal for 36 minutes so I was very pleased. I'm normally a treadmill warrior so running on concrete definitely was a lot more brutal. My ankle held up great until I had a large downhill portion. I really noticed in that spot every step I really felt my ankle. Uphill wasn't so bad on it though.

All-in-all I haven't been this proud of myself in a long time.
    Old 04-08-2017, 03:23 PM   #3078
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

That's so great Mule, I really do love hearing people get into running and have early breakthrough experiences with it, congrats!
    Old 04-08-2017, 03:34 PM   #3079
    SmoothG

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Competed in and finished my first race ever this morning. It was only a 5K but I'm incredible proud of it. This time last year I was walking around (unknowingly) on a fractured ankle. The recovery process was...extended, to say the least. Up until about a month ago I wasn't sure I could even complete a 5K because the pain never would really leave me. But about a month ago I took a big step back, adjusted my training and have eased back into it.

I finished this morning in 32 minutes and averaged about a 11-minute mile. I had set a goal for 36 minutes so I was very pleased. I'm normally a treadmill warrior so running on concrete definitely was a lot more brutal. My ankle held up great until I had a large downhill portion. I really noticed in that spot every step I really felt my ankle. Uphill wasn't so bad on it though.

Congratulations man. Good to hear stories like this.
    SmoothG is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-10-2017, 06:58 AM   #3080
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's so great Mule, I really do love hearing people get into running and have early breakthrough experiences with it, congrats!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmoothG View Post
    Thanks guys!

It's a really great feeling to have accomplished. I've been pretty sore and beat up since the race so I know I pushed myself a little harder than I should have but at least it lets me know where I stand as a whole in my training. Lots of ice, heat and foam rolling for me over the weekend and next few days.
    Old 04-10-2017, 08:13 AM   #3081
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmoothG View Post
    Quote:
    Thanks guys!

It's a really great feeling to have accomplished. I've been pretty sore and beat up since the race so I know I pushed myself a little harder than I should have but at least it lets me know where I stand as a whole in my training. Lots of ice, heat and foam rolling for me over the weekend and next few days.
    Excellent work and awesome race! Be smart on the recovery, let your body repair after the effort. The rule of thumb is 1 day per mile for recovery. However, with it being your first, a little extra time off may be a good idea.
    Old 04-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #3082
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Excellent work and awesome race! Be smart on the recovery, let your body repair after the effort. The rule of thumb is 1 day per mile for recovery. However, with it being your first, a little extra time off may be a good idea.
    Thanks! I was thinking I'd probably take most of this week off. I may try to go for a walk later in the week. Since I'll be gone this weekend figured I'd just start fresh next week. I'm also thinking of virtually starting from scratch and working through a few form issues I noticed during the race and in training the last few weeks.
    Old 04-10-2017, 05:46 PM   #3083
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

So my splits are almost always positive. Which apparently is a problem? Should I be intentionally running slower at the start?
    MDPrompter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-10-2017, 05:54 PM   #3084
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdmarvich View Post
    So my splits are almost always positive. Which apparently is a problem? Should I be intentionally running slower at the start?

Can you give more detail like how far you are racing and how big of a difference there is? Is it a big drop off or relatively even?
    Old 04-10-2017, 06:17 PM   #3085
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Can you give more detail like how far you are racing and how big of a difference there is? Is it a big drop off or relatively even?
    5k 0:08:05
    10k 0:08:25
    15K 0:08:16
    1/2 Mara 0:08:32

That's my pace for each leg of last half marathon...the second leg was definitely impacted by a huge hill around mile 5.5
    Old 04-10-2017, 06:28 PM   #3086
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdmarvich View Post
    5k 0:08:05
    10k 0:08:25
    15K 0:08:16
    1/2 Mara 0:08:32

That's my pace for each leg of last half marathon...the second leg was definitely impacted by a huge hill around mile 5.5

First off that's pretty solid in general, first 5K is a little quick relative to the rest of your race and I would aim to be more even with your splits up to the 10 mile mark or 8 depending when you think you can make a move. The hill you talk about obviously makes that a little more difficult. Typically the best races come when you can maintain a consistent pace up to the last few miles and then go nuts, it also allows you to keep running even splits if you don't have it that day to the finish as opposed to starting out like a bat out of hell and crawling home.
    Old 04-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #3087
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Also don't think of splits as an exact number (in case you do), think of it as an effort level range of say 10-15 seconds per mile. If you have a massive hill to climb when averaging 8:20s you're going to want to keep the same effort level up the hill and be in the 8:30/40s so there is no effort / HR spike, in that case it's even effort whereas there is a noticeable effort level difference for every 15+ second change if running on flat ground.
    Old 04-10-2017, 06:57 PM   #3088
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

My Tour Central Stats

That all makes sense. Thanks!
    Old 04-13-2017, 12:40 PM   #3089
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I'm looking for a pair of distance running shoes with good arch support (I have high arches). Can anyone recommend something? I have an affinity for Under Armour because one pair of running shoes I had a few years ago from them was great.
    Old 04-14-2017, 09:58 AM   #3090
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    I'm looking for a pair of distance running shoes with good arch support (I have high arches). Can anyone recommend something? I have an affinity for Under Armour because one pair of running shoes I had a few years ago from them was great.

It's so specific to each individual runner. Even within the same style of shoe like an Asics Cumulus or Saucony Ride which are both neutral trainers the heel to toe offset is different, they fit and feel different, run different. The best way to find what works for your feet and stride is to go to a running specialty store and have someone help you. After that you'll be able to take shortcuts and order online unless you want to make a change to a totally different shoe. It might sound like a pain in the ass but so are injuries, your shoes are the only thing hitting the pavement.