The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB - Page 66 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 02-04-2018, 08:06 AM   #1951
rickyh24
GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

They should go back to two sets and Dave, Tim and possibly Carter and Stefan should play songs like Ants, Typical, two step, nancies etc.
rickyh24 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-04-2018, 08:06 AM   #1952
    Gene Parmesan

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

It was a lukewarm shout out at best. Certainly suggests some bad blood. I think Dave would have sounded more sympathetic and more direct in his message if it was drugs or mental issues. The pause, and the repeating of it later without the "friends not here" reference shows more of a disdain for whatever the issue is. That is more troubling to me than some lawsuit that was thrown out years ago from a convicted criminal.
    Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:07 AM   #1953
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Luckily the Boyd lawsuit fairytale hasn’t escalated, but it’s amazing how people’s lives can be ruined by fabrications. Look at the Duke Lacrosse and Brian Banks cases
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:08 AM   #1954
    Dramageek
    Zounds!

Shows Seen: 56

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Wasn't there a show or two after Roi had his accident that the band went without a sax those shows?

I really feel like this is the case for fiddle.
    I'm pretty sure Jeff filled in immediately. The only saxless shows came later in the tour when Jeff had some Flecktones dates that conflicted.
    Dramageek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:09 AM   #1955
    dagostml

Shows Seen: 122

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomasjd2 View Post
    The witness statements in the suit are the most concerning aspect now.
    These are not witness statements.
    dagostml is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:11 AM   #1956
    Thomasjd2

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
    Luckily the Boyd lawsuit fairytale hasn’t escalated, but it’s amazing how people’s lives can be ruined by fabrications. Look at the Duke Lacrosse and Brian Banks cases
    So you're taking it at total face value that this was a spontaneous decision by Boyd related to health and family? I'm not trying to antagonize I'm actually curious.

The way the band handled this week was very very strange. Certainly didn't ease any anxiety I had over the reasons behind this departure. Again, I hope I'm not right. But it's not all adding up.
    Thomasjd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:11 AM   #1957
    dagostml

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jazzicat View Post
    This. As a mom, I can't blindly dismiss this. We live in a different world now.
    As a mom, if your child were assaulted, would you talk to a private investigator hired by a felon over actual law enforcement?
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:11 AM   #1958
    fishingforapig

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Dave n boyds relationship has frayed over the years. Tim enters band, dilutes Boyd to a side piece.. takes 10 years to settle on Boyd’s mind that he’s replaceable, not necessary to this current no longer unique sound of this band. It’s tims band and has been for a while. This band is pure dog shit and a fragment of what it used to be
    Boyd: "If you ever go to africa particulary Southern Africa and if you trip on the beaches you sometimes will see a tripping billy, sometimes if you go.."Leroi: hold up,hold up you've never been to Africa what are you talking about.."
    My Shows
    fishingforapig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:13 AM   #1959
    Slackdoodle

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishingforapig View Post
    Dave n boyds relationship has frayed over the years. Tim enters band, dilutes Boyd to a side piece.. takes 10 years to settle on Boyd’s mind that he’s replaceable, not necessary to this current no longer unique sound of this band. It’s tims band and has been for a while. This band is pure dog shit and a fragment of what it used to be
    You have such insight! Are you friends with the band?
    Slackdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:14 AM   #1960
    fishingforapig

Shows Seen: 54

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slackdoodle View Post
    You have such insight! Are you friends with the band?
    Ya, they just don’t know it though
    Boyd: "If you ever go to africa particulary Southern Africa and if you trip on the beaches you sometimes will see a tripping billy, sometimes if you go.."Leroi: hold up,hold up you've never been to Africa what are you talking about.."
    My Shows
    fishingforapig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:17 AM   #1961
    Dannyyankou

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomasjd2 View Post
    So you're taking it at total face value that this was a spontaneous decision by Boyd related to health and family? I'm not trying to antagonize I'm actually curious.

The way the band handled this week was very very strange. Certainly didn't ease any anxiety I had over the reasons behind this departure. Again, I hope I'm not right. But it's not all adding up.
    Yes I am. Those are personal topics and I’m in no place to ask questions. And it’s hard for the band to handle it without getting into whatever private reasons Boyd has for taking time off.
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:17 AM   #1962
    vaxarado

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
    They should go back to two sets and Dave, Tim and possibly Carter and Stefan should play songs like Ants, Typical, two step, nancies etc.
    This might end up making the most sense.

That Ants last night was a trainwreck.
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:17 AM   #1963
    dkamis

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

I haven’t posted here in a few years but I’m a long time fan that stopped going to more than local shows in2004. Boyd was an issue back then and he’s only gotten worse. For me, they turned Tim up as a response to Boyd not being able to play. If they add a new violin player and turn Tim down sometimes I’d probably add another show this year.

If this was known prior to the Boyd tweet the band would have had a prepared statement ready with how they were moving forward. Last night was stitched together and they sounded great for the short notice. I full expect a replacement and if it brings back some of the old dynamics I will be very happy. I have missed Boyd since the 2001 tour.

Last thing: This band owes you nothing and if you are done with them because of this I’ll gladly take your tickets for this year. Just PM. I’ll pay you $5 per ticket to get you some Kleenex to wipe your tears.

Last edited by dkamis; 02-04-2018 at 08:19 AM.
    dkamis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:19 AM   #1964
    Dannyyankou

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagostml View Post
    As a mom, if your child were assaulted, would you talk to a private investigator hired by a felon over actual law enforcement?
    A better question is would you be alarmed if a burglar accused your son of sexual assault?
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:21 AM   #1965
    jeepguy

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dkamis View Post
    I haven’t posted here in a few years but I’m a long time fan that stopped going to more than local shows in2004. Boyd was an issue back then and he’s only gotten worse. For me, they turned Tim up as a response to Boyd not being able to play. If they add a new violin player and turn Tim down sometimes I’d probably add another show this year.

If this was known prior to the Boyd tweet the band would have had a prepared statement ready with how they were moving forward. Last night was stitched together and they sounded great for the short notice. I full expect a replacement and if it brings back some of the old dynamics I will be very happy. I have missed Boyd since the 2001 tour.

Last thing: This band owes you nothing and if you are done with them because of this I’ll gladly take your tickets for this year. Just PM. I’ll pay you $5 per ticket to get you some Kleenex to wipe your tears.
    What issues were those back then?
    jeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:22 AM   #1966
    dkamis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeepguy View Post
    What issues were those back then?

Skreeeeeeeeeee
    Skreeeeeeeeeeee
    Skreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:24 AM   #1967
    groogrux27

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
    i think thats actually a great idea...
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    j. mayer could easily replace dave in dmb
    groogrux27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:26 AM   #1968
    dagostml

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    A better question is would you be alarmed if a burglar accused your son of sexual assault?

Insert Michael Scott “thank you” gif here.
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:28 AM   #1969
    dkamis

My Tour Central Stats

Boyd was incompetent at his job. There are hundreds of violin players that could jump in and fill his parts on a moments notice. Anyone that thinks Boyd was ever a top tier violin player has not listened to much music. He is average at best but he does have a good stage presence. I for one care more about the notes being played. Fiddle player from Punch Brothers has most of the summer off!
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:32 AM   #1970
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This guy was caught embezzling millions of dollars from Boyd. That should be all you need to know it’s bullshit.
    I agree as a whole, but with the former CG guy making accusations too, is it complete BS or is there truth in there but the guy screwed himself by trying to come out with it after he was caught
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dkamis View Post
    Boyd was incompetent at his job. There are hundreds of violin players that could jump in and fill his parts on a moments notice. Anyone that thinks Boyd was ever a top tier violin player has not listened to much music. He is average at best but he does have a good stage presence. I for one care more about the notes being played. Fiddle player from Punch Brothers has most of the summer off!
    Stage presence, bingo
    People are all about the guy from ZBB because he knows the parts and such, even post g videos of him. But he has no stage presence, good sounding sure but nothing to draw you in for a live performance imo

Last edited by willndmb; 02-04-2018 at 08:34 AM.
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:33 AM   #1971
    kelchlsm

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Have no reason to believe Tim would be turned down at all if they got a competent violin player, because the band has never given me any reason to believe that he would. Dunno how people could just assume that.
    kelchlsm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:37 AM   #1972
    Dannyyankou

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
    I agree as a whole, but with the former CG guy making accusations too, is it complete BS or is there truth in there but the guy screwed himself by trying to come out with it after he was caught

It could’ve been a fake account
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:39 AM   #1973
    dancingkc

Shows Seen: 65

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I lived in cville for the last 11 years but just moved. Here’s my prediction, based on nothing other than conjecture.. my first thought was they should get this amazingly talented woman violinist to fill in. I knew she lived in cville but had done some big things including winning a contest to perform on the Grammys years ago but I hadn’t seen her around in awhile. I set out to remind myself of her name and see what she’s doing...

As I was searching, I came across DM’s YouTube videos promoting chicapig. DM’s good friend, Brian Calhoun, created the board game chicapig that Dave has been helping promote for a couple years. It kind of became a cool thing to do in cville, go to Kardinal Hall and play chicapig.

But that’s when I put 2 and 2 together and realized that the woman violinist, Ann Marie Calhoun, is Brian’s wife. I think. And she also played a bit on the Stand Up album. So my money is on her.

But I could be totally wrong.
    dancingkc is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:42 AM   #1974
    btcs41
    Long live Grux!

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancingkc View Post
    I lived in cville for the last 11 years but just moved. Here’s my prediction, based on nothing other than conjecture.. my first thought was they should get this amazingly talented woman violinist to fill in. I knew she lived in cville but had done some big things including winning a contest to perform on the Grammys years ago but I hadn’t seen her around in awhile. I set out to remind myself of her name and see what she’s doing...

As I was searching, I came across DM’s YouTube videos promoting chicapig. DM’s good friend, Brian Calhoun, created the board game chicapig that Dave has been helping promote for a couple years. It kind of became a cool thing to do in cville, go to Kardinal Hall and play chicapig.

But that’s when I put 2 and 2 together and realized that the woman violinist, Ann Marie Calhoun, is Brian’s wife. I think. And she also played a bit on the Stand Up album. So my money is on her.

Brian is not married
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:45 AM   #1975
    btcs41
    Long live Grux!

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

What I’m finding as super shady is that he band hasn’t put the news that Boyd left the band up on their website or Warehouse. It’s super shady because they don’t want to take away from ticket sales. The band really does need to provide more information to it’s paying and loyal fan base
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:45 AM   #1976
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancingkc View Post

Very interesting post, really
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:47 AM   #1977
    gia_rootdivine
    our sacred dances true

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

The risks to touring musicians who have stress injuries exists as extremely serious on its own even without considering potentially addictive medication.

I'm hoping that Boyd is on the upside of his pain and has been able to either avoid, or conquer, any addictions that he might have experienced.
    gia_rootdivine is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:51 AM   #1978
    yanks7533

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kelchlsm View Post
    Why do people think they're going to turn this around? Tim Reynolds has been drowning people out for years, that's not gonna suddenly change in the 3 months they prepare. That's people's biggest complaint
    Yep Tim totally makes all those decisions and does what he wants....he actually goes and turns Dave's guitar down behind the band's back and keeps the in ears the same so they don't notice

The amount of ignorant non music fans on here is really special
    yanks7533 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:53 AM   #1979
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Jeff just posted, "I second this" as he shared the official response of dmband
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-04-2018, 08:54 AM   #1980
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yanks7533 View Post
    Yep Tim totally makes all those decisions and does what he wants....he actually goes and turns Dave's guitar down behind the band's back and keeps the in ears the same so they don't notice

The amount of ignorant non music fans on here is really special

Whether you understand music or not doesn't change the fact that Tim is way too loud and obnoxious
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote