The Travellers Thread - Page 77 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 05-01-2019, 05:54 AM   #2281
cry_minarets458
MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Travellers Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
Bosnia Herzegovina and Montenegro are both nice. Could pick one of those.
will look into as well. thank you
*renounces DMB fandom*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Minister
In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-01-2019, 06:29 AM   #2282
    Dave&Tim41

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Got back from Italy on Saturday evening and I miss it already. What an incredible place, I almost cannot believe it is real. People have been asking what my favorite place was (between Rome, Florence/Tuscany, and Venice) and I cannot pick one.

One crazy experience was being in the Vatican on Easter Sunday--I did not have a ticket and a random man gave one to me before the security checkpoint to get into St. Peter's Square. Wound up getting this picture!

Now onto planning the next one. Right now Spain is edging out Austria. I am thinking two weeks touring Madrid and Andalusia.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg IMG_2354.jpg (73.2 KB, 23 views)
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Julia Roberts View Post
    I listened to TGIY the whole way through once. It was a bad experience and I wouldn’t recommend anyone else do it. Same goes for deep fried Twinkies.
    Dave&Tim41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #2283
    redsox14

Shows Seen: 102

DMB Hub Stubs: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Considering a honeymoon in new Zealand with a possible stop in Fiji. Any and all recommendations are welcome!

Jen
    redsox14 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #2284
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by redsox14 View Post
    Considering a honeymoon in new Zealand with a possible stop in Fiji. Any and all recommendations are welcome!
    I recommend you do it. Sounds awesome.
    Old 05-09-2019, 05:42 PM   #2285
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Got boned hard with this Jet Airways nonsense.
    Old 05-09-2019, 05:56 PM   #2286
    Strider_BTCS

Shows Seen: 51

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave&Tim41 View Post
    Got back from Italy on Saturday evening and I miss it already. What an incredible place, I almost cannot believe it is real. People have been asking what my favorite place was (between Rome, Florence/Tuscany, and Venice) and I cannot pick one.

One crazy experience was being in the Vatican on Easter Sunday--I did not have a ticket and a random man gave one to me before the security checkpoint to get into St. Peter's Square. Wound up getting this picture!

Now onto planning the next one. Right now Spain is edging out Austria. I am thinking two weeks touring Madrid and Andalusia.

Got back from Italy in March and sounds like we did a similar trip - Venice, Florence, Rome with stops in Pisa and Assisi. My girlfriend and I both loved it. Glad you had a good time as well.
    Strider_BTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-10-2019, 06:13 AM   #2287
    Jordan#41

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Well I guess I'll hop on the "got back from italy train" as well. Got back last week. Did Bologna, Parma, Modena and Milan. Highlight for me was dinner at Osteria Francescana in Modena. An amazing experience!
    Jordan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-10-2019, 06:21 AM   #2288
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jordan#41 View Post
    Well I guess I'll hop on the "got back from italy train" as well. Got back last week. Did Bologna, Parma, Modena and Milan. Highlight for me was dinner at Osteria Francescana in Modena. An amazing experience!
    From Chef's table? Definitely.
    unccrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-10-2019, 08:46 PM   #2289
    DavefaninNZ

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by redsox14 View Post
    How long and what time of year? I highly recommend the Fiordlands in the South Island. Milford Sound is amazing in any weather. I’ve never been to Doubtful Sound but heard it’s equally spectacular. Glow worm caves in Te Ano is pretty cool, but not necessarily a must. Wanaka is amazing, Queenstown is touristy but pretty awesome as well. You can check out the wineries nearby in Central Otago, which are known for their reds, specifically Pinot Noir. There’s a little town on the west coast of the South Island called Okarito. Not much there except natural beauty, and it’s a great place to get away from it all.

On the east coast of the SI, there’s a restaurant called Fleur’s Place in Moeraki which is probably literally the best seafood restaurant in the world. I obviously haven’t been to every seafood restaurant in the world, but I grew up going to Maine for vacations and it blows away any seafood place I’ve been to.

The Farewell Spit on the northwest side of the SI is another great place to visit. The whole area is pretty nice with a few good hiking options

Wellington is a nice little city to spend some time in (and my home for six years). Easily walkable. Take the cable car for amazing views of the city and harbor. Get fish and chips at Te Aro fish supply. There are many good options for coffee (Wellington and NZ in general is pretty well known for their coffee culture). NZ also has a fantastic craft beer scene. Hashigo Zake and The Malt House are great bars offering the best of NZ craft beer.

The rest of the north island has some high points, but I always recommend people spend most of their time in the South Island. Those high points include some great hiking through Tongariro national park, wine tasting in the Martinborough region (I’m not really a white wine guy, but the sav blancs, chards, and pinot grigios are delicious), the Coromandel (highly rated by kiwis and tourists alike, and incidentally one of the few places in the country I never got to), and the Northland in the summer time (absolutely one of my favorite places in the country).

Hopefully this will give you a good start and would be happy to answer any follow up questions. Again, I recommend spending most of your time in the South Island, especially if you go in the summer months (Nov-Mar).
    Old 05-10-2019, 08:50 PM   #2290
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DIDriveOut2SPAC View Post
    Got boned hard with this Jet Airways nonsense.
    How so?8
    Old 05-10-2019, 10:25 PM   #2291
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveshookme View Post
    How so?8
    I've lost 800,000 Jet privilege miles if Etihad doesn't transfer them.

I bought 3000$ on 589 tickets about 4 weeks before they went belly up.

Capital One has refunded the tickets hopefully it stands

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Old 05-10-2019, 10:27 PM   #2292
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I've lost 800,000 Jet privilege miles if Etihad doesn't transfer them.

I bought 3000$ on 589 tickets about 4 weeks before they went belly up.

Capital One has refunded the tickets hopefully it stands

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yeah I’d consider that getting boned hard. Yikes. Sorry to hear that man, hopefully they transfer them!
    Old 05-12-2019, 07:19 AM   #2293
    CrushLive
    #dmb2encores

Shows Seen: 136

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jordan#41 View Post
    Tell me more about your experiences in these cities.

Been to the “big/main” cities a few times. Going back to Italy in the spring and probably going to do quite a few small Tuscan towns but would consider some of the more medium size towns north of there.

9/4/16 - Columbia River Survivor - Never Forget!

Hello Again Part 2: SPAC
    CrushLive is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-13-2019, 03:40 AM   #2294
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
    I'm taking a 9-11 day vacation. I'm going to Croatia, but honestly think that is too long to spend in Croatia. What would be an easy addition to the trip? I was thinking 2-3 days in Milan or Venice, just to add something different

i've only been to london, stuttgart, hamburg, and berlin. did a layover in amsterdam, but want to go back for a few days in the future. just don't think that'd be a good use of time for this excursion
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by unccrombie View Post
    Turkey .
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Bosnia Herzegovina and Montenegro are both nice. Could pick one of those.
    think i settled on the first 3-4 days of the trip in prague, then going to do what's needed in croatia, then connect through amsterdam on the way back for 2-3 days. i want to explore more of that city

found a decent flight combo that comes out to ~1200 for all that. #skyteam (like literally was the same price to just do croatia and back given the time of the year...turkey and montenegro were a few extra hundred more, but prague sounds more appealing for me)
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:

Last edited by cry_minarets458; 05-13-2019 at 03:41 AM.
    Old 05-13-2019, 06:18 AM   #2295
    redsox14

Shows Seen: 102

DMB Hub Stubs: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DavefaninNZ View Post
    How long and what time of year? I highly recommend the Fiordlands in the South Island. Milford Sound is amazing in any weather. I’ve never been to Doubtful Sound but heard it’s equally spectacular. Glow worm caves in Te Ano is pretty cool, but not necessarily a must. Wanaka is amazing, Queenstown is touristy but pretty awesome as well. You can check out the wineries nearby in Central Otago, which are known for their reds, specifically Pinot Noir. There’s a little town on the west coast of the South Island called Okarito. Not much there except natural beauty, and it’s a great place to get away from it all.

On the east coast of the SI, there’s a restaurant called Fleur’s Place in Moeraki which is probably literally the best seafood restaurant in the world. I obviously haven’t been to every seafood restaurant in the world, but I grew up going to Maine for vacations and it blows away any seafood place I’ve been to.

The Farewell Spit on the northwest side of the SI is another great place to visit. The whole area is pretty nice with a few good hiking options

Wellington is a nice little city to spend some time in (and my home for six years). Easily walkable. Take the cable car for amazing views of the city and harbor. Get fish and chips at Te Aro fish supply. There are many good options for coffee (Wellington and NZ in general is pretty well known for their coffee culture). NZ also has a fantastic craft beer scene. Hashigo Zake and The Malt House are great bars offering the best of NZ craft beer.

The rest of the north island has some high points, but I always recommend people spend most of their time in the South Island. Those high points include some great hiking through Tongariro national park, wine tasting in the Martinborough region (I’m not really a white wine guy, but the sav blancs, chards, and pinot grigios are delicious), the Coromandel (highly rated by kiwis and tourists alike, and incidentally one of the few places in the country I never got to), and the Northland in the summer time (absolutely one of my favorite places in the country).

Hopefully this will give you a good start and would be happy to answer any follow up questions. Again, I recommend spending most of your time in the South Island, especially if you go in the summer months (Nov-Mar).
    This is fantastic, Thank you so much! I'm in the early stages of planning. We would be going fall of 2020. We are getting married 9/19/20 but haven't decided if we'll leave right after the wedding or a week/month later.

Thanks for the tip on staying mostly on the southern island as i was having a hard time deciding which part to go to as well. Maybe start on the southern island and work our way up to Aukland to fly out. We are considering a side trip to Fiji for a few days when we leave NZ since we will be 90% of the way there already, may as well go all out.

I'll probably have more specific questions as I really get into planning, right now is just research. And i love the seafood suggestions! I'm from massachusetts and spent a lot of summer time in Maine as well so hearing those recommendations is great!

Jen
    redsox14 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-21-2019, 07:57 PM   #2296
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

settled on prague, croatia, and amsterdam

another weird itinerary, but got it for ~1275 and will probably get 1-2 complimentary upgrades. i think that's pretty great
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 05-22-2019, 05:56 AM   #2297
    Dave&Tim41

My Tour Central Stats

Spain is next up for me. Haven't booked yet, but have a rough idea of what I want to do. I will fly into Barcelona and spend a few days there, do one day/night in Palma Mallorca or Ibiza, fly to Seville and spend a few days there (with a day trip to Cordoba/Granada...want to see both but don't have enough time), and then a few days in Madrid before flying home (from Madrid).
    Quote:
    I listened to TGIY the whole way through once. It was a bad experience and I wouldn’t recommend anyone else do it. Same goes for deep fried Twinkies.
    Old 05-22-2019, 06:58 AM   #2298
    SmoothG

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Spain is next up for me. Haven't booked yet, but have a rough idea of what I want to do. I will fly into Barcelona and spend a few days there, do one day/night in Palma Mallorca or Ibiza, fly to Seville and spend a few days there (with a day trip to Cordoba/Granada...want to see both but don't have enough time), and then a few days in Madrid before flying home (from Madrid).
    Sounds like a good trip, that's a lot of places though. How many days/weeks you have? You won't be able to do Cordoba and Granada in a day trip from Seville. I mean, maybe you can but I don't think it's a good idea. I'd try to find a way to do both with a separate trip to each. Cordoba and Granada are both amazing. If youre doing just one day trip, you should pick one or the other. Ronda is also a really beautiful, small place around there thats a nice day trip. Let me know If you have any questions about Andalucia or especially Granada.
    SmoothG is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-22-2019, 07:41 AM   #2299
    Dave&Tim41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmoothG View Post
    Sounds like a good trip, that's a lot of places though. How many days/weeks you have? You won't be able to do Cordoba and Granada in a day trip from Seville. I mean, maybe you can but I don't think it's a good idea. I'd try to find a way to do both with a separate trip to each. Cordoba and Granada are both amazing. If youre doing just one day trip, you should pick one or the other. Ronda is also a really beautiful, small place around there thats a nice day trip. Let me know If you have any questions about Andalucia or especially Granada.
    I really want to see Cordoba and Granada, but I have struggled to find a way to make it work. My original itinerary was to fly into Madrid and go straight to Seville, then do Cordoba and Granada with 3 or so days at each place. The problem with that is getting back to Madrid--if I end in Granada or Cordoba it appears pretty difficult to get back to Madrid. Plus, I hate losing time just to go back to an airport city (Madrid). Any tips are greatly, greatly appreciated! I am not married to this itinerary at all, and quite frankly would prefer just doing Andalucia.

Agreed that it is a lot of places. I have about 10-12 days, so will probably just cut out the island day and go straight to Seville from Barca.
    Quote:
    Old 05-22-2019, 08:28 AM   #2300
    SmoothG

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I really want to see Cordoba and Granada, but I have struggled to find a way to make it work. My original itinerary was to fly into Madrid and go straight to Seville, then do Cordoba and Granada with 3 or so days at each place. The problem with that is getting back to Madrid--if I end in Granada or Cordoba it appears pretty difficult to get back to Madrid. Plus, I hate losing time just to go back to an airport city (Madrid). Any tips are greatly, greatly appreciated! I am not married to this itinerary at all, and quite frankly would prefer just doing Andalucia.

Agreed that it is a lot of places. I have about 10-12 days, so will probably just cut out the island day and go straight to Seville from Barca.
    It sounds like a good plan, all good places. You can't go wrong whatever you do. But I'll respond properly tomorrow, its getting late here.
    SmoothG is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #2301
    iammine

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

The renfe will get you from Cordoba to Atocha in about 2 hours.

If you have the time on the Madrid leg, I'd recommend adding Toledo into your trip. It's under an hour by bus from Madrid and about 5/6 euro each way.
    iammine is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #2302
    dontburnthe_pig
    ja-nee

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdel21 View Post
    Going to France in May. We have the typical tour stuff lined up, Louvre, Arc de Triomphe, Normandy, etc.

Any off the beaten path things to see. It's overwhelming trying to figure out what to see and do.
    Probably late but Make a dinner booking at Le Tremilou, and get the duck with prunes
    dontburnthe_pig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2019, 04:39 AM   #2303
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

has anyone done iceland? i was thinking going for 10 days, since the last 3 will be umphrey's shows. always said i would never travel for shows, but have wanted to go to iceland, so i figured just hop on it. was lucky to grab tickets
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 06-05-2019, 08:33 AM   #2304
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
    has anyone done iceland? i was thinking going for 10 days, since the last 3 will be umphrey's shows. always said i would never travel for shows, but have wanted to go to iceland, so i figured just hop on it. was lucky to grab tickets
    I have been. 10 days is rather long as its very expensive. You could traverse the island in 4 days in a rental and have 4 days in the capital. Book sooner than later as hotels and airbnbs fill up fast.
    Old 06-11-2019, 04:39 AM   #2305
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

https://www.creditcardcompare.com.au...country-names/
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-09-2019, 07:14 PM   #2306
    Dave&Tim41

My Tour Central Stats

I am most likely booking my trip to Spain at the end of this month. This is the current itinerary, if you have any thoughts I am all ears--struggled to decide how much time to spend in each place. I am not married to the below and could easily be persuaded to change it. However, I do adamantly want to see Andalucia.

4/15-16 Fly into BCN
    4/16 Barca
    4/17 Barca
    4/18 Barca
    4/19 Montserrat (Barca)
    4/20 Seville
    4/21 Seville
    4/22 Cordoba (Seville)
    4/23 Granada
    4/24 Granada
    4/25 Madrid
    4/26 Madrid
    4/27 Fly home
    Quote:
    Old 07-10-2019, 05:30 AM   #2307
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I am most likely booking my trip to Spain at the end of this month. This is the current itinerary, if you have any thoughts I am all ears--struggled to decide how much time to spend in each place. I am not married to the below and could easily be persuaded to change it. However, I do adamantly want to see Andalucia.

4/15-16 Fly into BCN
    4/16 Barca
    4/17 Barca
    4/18 Barca
    4/19 Montserrat (Barca)
    4/20 Seville
    4/21 Seville
    4/22 Cordoba (Seville)
    4/23 Granada
    4/24 Granada
    4/25 Madrid
    4/26 Madrid
    4/27 Fly home
    I would lose one city and enjoy the spanish countryside. We stayed in the river delta between Barca and Valencia and rented a farmhouse. House made Paella, local wine, quiet nights. It was a dream.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AMVwoa5jClTV2MNz1
    Old 07-10-2019, 08:56 AM   #2308
    Dave&Tim41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I would lose one city and enjoy the spanish countryside. We stayed in the river delta between Barca and Valencia and rented a farmhouse. House made Paella, local wine, quiet nights. It was a dream.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AMVwoa5jClTV2MNz1
    I am actually not entirely sold on going to Barcelona. My original itinerary was just doing Andalusia and Madrid. Added Barcelona because of some recommendations from friends (Montserrat mainly) and it seems almost sacrilege to skip it. My original plan was doing Seville, Cordoba, and Granada, but it seems like Cordoba is doable as a day trip.
    Quote:
    Old 07-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #2309
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I'm consistently reminded why I should never schedule flights in the evening during the summer months.

Absolute chaos today trying to get from TYS to ROC thru CLT.

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2019, 04:57 AM   #2310
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

just booked my flight for my iceland adventure in 2020. 3/12-3/24 $389 via delta. very happy with that price
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote: