The Only Thing (new tune) - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 08-14-2021, 05:36 AM   #61
bibby1044

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Only Thing (new tune)

I will add that a positive is that this and walk around the moon are different than what we’ve previously gotten. If the band makes this album a cohesive sound with solid songs that to me makes it a success and not some disjointed effort like CT filled with half empty songs that are dishonest of what they currently want to be.
bibby1044 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-14-2021, 05:38 AM   #62
    Ardbark

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

At this point it seems that Dave should just limit the lyrics, versus and singing on all new songs and just let the band breath. This song is not good and it is very frustrating to see the collection of musical talent and this is what they come up with. Think about it, every artist in this band could develop a better song and music than this on their own but together it's like they either just don't try, which as pro's I don't believe, or they just follow what Dave wants and does.
    Ardbark is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 05:45 AM   #63
    bigeyedpigs

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

When I first read the lyrics i was optimistic, thought maybe a b&bb vibe, but after one and a half listens I turned it off. As someone mentioned it just sounds like some generic rock song, and musically not why I listen to dmb.
    bigeyedpigs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 05:46 AM   #64
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I like this song. Feels much more like a lead single than WATM or OATB.
    Old 08-14-2021, 06:01 AM   #65
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Putting this as a lead single
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 06:09 AM   #66
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Couple more listens. Still dig it, but I like WATM and Ocean better. Vocal melody here is really strong, ensuing listens had me feeling like the music around the melody wasn't as strong as it should be.
    Old 08-14-2021, 06:36 AM   #67
    wlperie

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwrice5 View Post
    I like the sound of the new song. With all of these songs though, with the exception of SFTW, the lyrics are so harshly put together (that’s the best way I could describe the way the lyrics sound to me). Almost as if there were a long list of words, and no matter how well they actually fit together, Dave had to use every single one of them. And couldn’t go back and edit the finished product.

And it’s not that the lyrics need to be deep or even make sense. WWYS is pure nonsense, but the lyrics fit and flow and have a general feel of something that was carefully crafted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Or maybe you’ve been listening to WWYS for 30 years and they just seem to flow
    wlperie is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 06:41 AM   #68
    Right Side Up

Shows Seen: 156

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 View Post
    Intro/verse is Aerosmith.. sounds like they were jamming on sweet emotion and fell into this… the chorus sounds like a British 90s pop song chorus.. catchy though.. it’s like the second part of She.. Dave must be trying to blend 70s prog rock with 90s pop rock to make its own thing.. pretty cool first listen.. think it will get stronger with more plays..
    I’m glad I kept reading this thread because these were the first two song comparisons I thought of as well. I just listed to Copperpot’s Chicago Caravan show yesterday, so Sweet Emotion was fresh on the mind!

I liked it. I’m encouraged by the four songs we’ve heard so far — they all seem to fit somewhere around “good” and “could be great” if we’re speaking in post-2004 terms.
    Right Side Up is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 07:10 AM   #69
    HonestDenver1

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bibby1044 View Post
    Guys this was rumored to be the single. For a single spot on the album this certainly works and I would much rather this than most recent singles we’ve gotten. Let’s pump the brakes on the overly negative first reaction.
    Love being told what my opinion should be based on your opinion.
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 07:20 AM   #70
    SeekUpTheCubs
    DMBallwasher

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

First Listen: oh no

Second listen: not bad

third listen: really growing on me. i dig it

same deal with Walk Aroundthe Moon which i now cant stop lsitening to. 4/4 on the new tracks for me
    Old 08-14-2021, 07:30 AM   #71
    jets42689

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

This song is horrible… especially if you dont like creativity, space for jamming, grit, catchy chorus, vocal instrumentation, band cohesion, and thinking outside of the box….
    Old 08-14-2021, 07:41 AM   #72
    BigEyedIdiot

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

After giving this a few listens I love it. The only negative thing that I can think of is that I wish Rob Cavallo would have produced this, because I feel like he would have made this into a commercial slam of a song, I could see that chorus in movie trailers.

But I've got to say it feels like this band is damned if they do and damned if they don't. If you read these forums long enough you'll see complaining that the band never branches out and gets in holding patterns, and then the moment they try something new, like work a new sound in The Only Thing with Buddy and Tim trading solos, you hear griping about that. Or someone posted the lyrics earlier and talked about how bad they were. Yet in the same breath people will post how great Lillywhite was with the band, yet there's a video out there of Belly Belly Nice being made I believe, where Steve tells Dave, "Let's just put a Dave chorus in there" and you get "You can't get too much love."

At some point you've got to let it go. We are not getting another Pig or Dreaming Tree. Enjoy what we have and be glad our favorite band is still jamming.
    BigEyedIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 07:53 AM   #73
    ericvol

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I really enjoy it, I can imagine this coming on the album and me turning it up full blast and belting out that chorus. Every album needs a song like that. It’s She 2.0 to me.
    Old 08-14-2021, 08:07 AM   #74
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

This is like a better version of She

Yeah lyrics are questionable as always these days, but the music is awesome
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 08:14 AM   #75
    LaLaLaLaHey

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    Is that Buddy on backup or Rashawn? I thought it was Rashawn on the video but it was choppy. Or were you talking about his woos? Lol bc woof

I actually liked the Buddy and Tim back and forth. His synth sounds worked on this one.

I just didn’t think Dave’s falsettos sounded good and were strained, but that’s kinda normal these days. No biggie
    I’m late, but it’s only Rashawn from what I can tell. WATM has both Buddy and Rashawn I think.
    Old 08-14-2021, 08:18 AM   #76
    Gene Parmesan

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

She is better than this.
    Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 08:44 AM   #77
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

It's awesome to see the band sonically experimenting in such an unexpected way. I never thought I would get to hear DMB channeling artists like: Aerosmith, Edgar Winter, Dream Theater, etc. I have no idea if this new record will be good, but it's clear it's going to be interesting and unlike any album that preceded it. I would much rather the band fail attempting to create something eccentric than to deliver another ballad fest like CT. My greatest fear was that the new album was going to be a boring "Jack Johnson playing soft ballads about how much he loves his kids and wants to improve the world on his porch as the sun sets in Honolulu" affair; the new songs are quelling that anxiety. None of the new songs are Last Stop Pt. II but, more importantly, they aren't Samurai Cop Pt. II either. I don't believe Dave will be able to consistently deliver pristine vocal performances of WATM or TOT in the live setting but I think they will both sound outstanding in the studio and they're imbued with great jam potential if the band decides to extend the improvisational sections.
    Old 08-14-2021, 08:50 AM   #78
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

If they could play Samurai Cop instead of this song permanently I'd be happy
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 08:58 AM   #79
    theflower

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    It's awesome to see the band sonically experimenting in such an unexpected way. I never thought I would get to hear DMB channeling artists like: Aerosmith, Edgar Winter, Dream Theater, etc. I have no idea if this new record will be good, but it's clear it's going to be interesting and unlike any album that preceded it. I would much rather the band fail attempting to create something eccentric than to deliver another ballad fest like CT. My greatest fear was that the new album was going to be a boring "Jack Johnson playing soft ballads about how much he loves his kids and wants to improve the world on his porch as the sun sets in Honolulu" affair; the new songs are quelling that anxiety. None of the new songs are Last Stop Pt. II but, more importantly, they aren't Samurai Cop Pt. II either. I don't believe Dave will be able to consistently deliver pristine vocal performances of WATM or TOT in the live setting but I think they will both sound outstanding in the studio and they're imbued with great jam potential if the band decides to extend the improvisational sections.
    Exactly. I’m not looking for BTCS 2. Just something cohesive.
    theflower is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 09:02 AM   #80
    LetYouDown22
    LetYouDown22

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I think this can be an awesome studio song. Actually excited about this one more than the other new tunes. Love the tempo/different feel it brings compared to the others.
    LetYouDown22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 09:28 AM   #81
    bibby1044

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 View Post
    Love being told what my opinion should be based on your opinion.
    It’s just the ants mantra at this point that they come out with a song and everyone hates it essentially. It’s tired at this point. There’s literally no discussion it’s just the best song ever or the band still sucks. There’s a select few here that have been having actual discussions that are worth reading but it’s few and far between but thanks for taking it personally.
    Old 08-14-2021, 09:31 AM   #82
    bibby1044

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thank you.
    Old 08-14-2021, 09:33 AM   #83
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It’s just the ants mantra at this point that they come out with a song and everyone hates it essentially. It’s tired at this point. There’s literally no discussion it’s just the best song ever or the band still sucks. There’s a select few here that have been having actual discussions that are worth reading but it’s few and far between but thanks for taking it personally.

Does it ever make you wonder if people are tired of DMB writing songs they don't connect to?
    Old 08-14-2021, 09:36 AM   #84
    bibby1044

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Does it ever make you wonder if people are tired of DMB writing songs they don't connect to?
    I love that you say that as if I’m a person who loves everything they put out. Come Tomorrow was absolutely terrible. Hated nearly all of it. Don’t connect to most of it aside from VITR. I get it. I do. But some people are here with intention of not connecting with anything at this point. Literally been seeing it for over a decade now.
    Old 08-14-2021, 09:37 AM   #85
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You nailed it. Who knows how I’ll feel about this song in a couple months, first impression was good for me. But I just like that the band is experimenting with new sounds. Obviously that didn’t work out with Stand Up and Everyday, but it worked out for BTCS. Obviously this album won’t be BTCS haha, but sometimes you hear something so different and you’re like “hold up, that’s not what I’m used to. I don’t like that.” But I think it’ll take a while to form an opinion on this new stuff.
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 09:38 AM   #86
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I love that you say that as if I’m a person who loves everything they put out. Come Tomorrow was absolutely terrible. Hated nearly all of it. Don’t connect to most of it aside from VITR. I get it. I do. But some people are here with intention of not connecting with anything at this point. Literally been seeing it for over a decade now.

There's very few people who fit into that category, seems odd to be so frustrated or upset by people not liking songs, it has no bearing on you or your connection to the music
    Old 08-14-2021, 09:44 AM   #87
    Titotimmy
    Lillywhite's Tapeworm

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I mean 90% of the people in here that didn’t like it explained why, your post just kind of condemned discussion because we “shouldn’t be negative.”

There are groups out there for nothing but positive discussion

R.I.P. Last Stop 4/8/1998 - 9/1/2018
    Titotimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 09:44 AM   #88
    bibby1044

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
    You nailed it. Who knows how I’ll feel about this song in a couple months, first impression was good for me. But I just like that the band is experimenting with new sounds. Obviously that didn’t work out with Stand Up and Everyday, but it worked out for BTCS. Obviously this album won’t be BTCS haha, but sometimes you hear something so different and you’re like “hold up, that’s not what I’m used to. I don’t like that.” But I think it’ll take a while to form an opinion on this new stuff.
    This is exactly it for both The Only Thing and WATM. I think some of the melodies are different with the backups that are perking my interest. I like how he sings the verses of this song.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    There's very few people who fit into that category, seems odd to be so frustrated or upset by people not liking songs, it has no bearing on you or your connection to the music
    Well in order for this to be true I would have to be upset frustrated or emotional about how others are feeling which I am not any of those things nor do I have a connection to this song at the moment. I don’t even love the only thing but I can sit here and recognize the band has made a potential solid song that sounds different than anything else they’ve been doing instead of trying to be something they no longer are and enjoy them for what it is. We’ll see how I feel about it once the album comes out.

In fact it’s super rare for me to have a connection with any song after the first listen. Most of dmb songs took me multiple listens over time to really appreciate them and how great they really are. That doesn’t happen overnight. Music that passes the test of time is what it’s all about. Not after 1 night. For me anyway.

Last edited by bibby1044; 08-14-2021 at 09:45 AM.
    Old 08-14-2021, 09:44 AM   #89
    NewAgedNerd

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

If people are tired of DMB writing songs that they don't connect to, I'm not sure what anyone is supposed to do about that anyway. What are those of us who are okay with what the band does now or at the very least amenable to revising our priors as to what a good DMB song should be to do about this? I don't even really give a shit that much in either direction about the new stuff, but there's definitely a core of people (though not always the same people) who are always down on whatever the band does now. People are entitled to think what they want of course, but I think people have crazy expectations and or perceptions as to what the band is or is "supposed" to be now, as well as having weird misconceptions as to how a band works/how the artistic process works.
    NewAgedNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 09:46 AM   #90
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titotimmy View Post
    I mean 90% of the people in here that didn’t like it explained why, your post just kind of condemned discussion because we “shouldn’t be negative.”

There are groups out there for nothing but positive discussion

.... yep