Dave's Favorite Song(s)? - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 10:24 PM   #31
thewitt85
 
thewitt85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Clarks Green, PA
Posts: 4,761

Shows Seen: 43

Re: Dave's Favorite Song(s)?

He clearly likes to play Jimi, Seven, Cornbread, Eh Hee etc lately..... but I'm sure.... ok.... 75% sure, if asked his favorite songs, maybe only Jimi makes the list.
thewitt85 is offline   Reply With Quote

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #32
    LetYouDown22
    LetYouDown22
     
    Join Date: Sep 2004
    Location: Chicago, IL
    Posts: 2,105

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: Dave's Favorite Song(s)?

    I've heard it's Jimi Thing and can't blame him for feeling that way. I mean, every time they have played it for the past few years, the crowd sings for him. How can the guy not get a kick out of that and look forward to playing it because of that.
    LetYouDown22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #33
    jasonfilatov
     
    Join Date: Feb 2009
    Location: Seattle, WA
    Posts: 4,175

    Shows Seen: 75

    Re: Dave's Favorite Song(s)?

    forgot to post this with my last comment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VVAapC9qVA
    __________________
    willing to punch it out
    jasonfilatov is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #34
    aicdmb
    Unreal
     
    aicdmb's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2009
    Posts: 14,646

    Shows Seen: 15

    Re: Dave's Favorite Song(s)?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    Dave has poor taste in his own music
    How funny is this, but absolutely true
    aicdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #35
    imarami
     
    Join Date: May 2012
    Posts: 361

    Shows Seen: 33

    So the consensus seems go be that Jimi is his favorite and I would guess the same based on his little speech before he plays it each night "I just love this song, sorry if y'all don't but I just LOVE playing it!"

    Now let's speculate as to why...

    I think it's because as someone mentioned above, it reminds him of "home" aka Cville and the early trax days with the band. Plus it's one of the more up tempo and well known tunes (to the casual fan) from those days. Plus the jam has always been fantastic and we can all see how much Dave likes stepping away from the mic and letting the band do their thing. I just wonder why Nancies or Billies don't have the same affect on him
    imarami is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #36
    bigbeartilidie
     
    bigbeartilidie's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2010
    Location: VT
    Posts: 1,291

    Shows Seen: 106

    Re: Dave's Favorite Song(s)?

    He also keeps introducing Mercy with "my mom likes this song." Clearly he likes that she likes it.

    Jimi is his favorite though.
    __________________
    My Shows
    bigbeartilidie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #37
    SuekieMonster5
     
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Location: South Hills Pittsburgh
    Posts: 81

    Shows Seen: 4

    Re: Dave's Favorite Song(s)?

    No one has mentioned the Song that Jane Likes or Sister yet. Both of these songs would seem to have deep personal meaning for Dave. I agree with Jimi, I'll Back you Up, and #41.
    __________________
    "The river taste me, I am so much more than I have ever been."
    SuekieMonster5 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #38
    mannotcaring
     
    mannotcaring's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2009
    Location: Austria
    Posts: 390

    Shows Seen: 10

    Re: Dave's Favorite Song(s)?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imarami View Post

    I think it's because as someone mentioned above, it reminds him of "home" aka Cville and the early trax days with the band. Plus it's one of the more up tempo and well known tunes (to the casual fan) from those days. Plus the jam has always been fantastic and we can all see how much Dave likes stepping away from the mic and letting the band do their thing. I just wonder why Nancies or Billies don't have the same affect on him
    you forgot that itīs about smoking pot
    __________________
    2009: Amsterdam, Lisbon 2010: Vienna, Munich 2012: The Gorge 2015: Florence, Munich 2017: Dave & Tim Vienna 2019: Vienna
    mannotcaring is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #39
    imarami
     
    Join Date: May 2012
    Posts: 361

    Shows Seen: 33

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mannotcaring View Post
    you forgot that it´s about smoking pot
    Hah, yeah and that. I wonder how much Dave still smokes...
    imarami is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #40
    salrx95
     
    salrx95's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2006
    Location: Connecticut
    Posts: 5,872

    Shows Seen: 59

    Re: Dave's Favorite Song(s)?

    I think he highly regards Crash Into Me as well. I remember at Boone on 3/29/03, he said something to the effect.

    "I still like it, cause I always liked it. Otherwise, I wouldn't have penned it. And if you don't like it, you can rest"

    First show with my now wife, she was a semi-newbie at this point and Crash was her favorite song and her reaction was a memory I'll always treasure. We were 8th row. That's why I remember the line so well, I think.
    salrx95 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #41
    MColin28
     
    MColin28's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2005
    Location: St. Louie
    Posts: 4,226

    Shows Seen: 40

    Re: Dave's Favorite Song(s)?

    I think everyone is getting away from the idea of the thread the OP proposed. It's not "what's Dave's favorite song(s) to PLAY"...rather, it's "what's Dave's song that is closest to him in regards to lyrics". Which leads us back to things he's penned because of how close they are to his heart.
    __________________
    What do you wanna do?
    MColin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #42
    jeremy.crouse
     
    Join Date: Aug 2009
    Location: Storrs, CT
    Posts: 58

    Shows Seen: 37

    Re: Dave's Favorite Song(s)?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imarami View Post
    Hah, yeah and that. I wonder how much Dave still smokes...
    That is something I wonder about as well.
    __________________
    2015: Hartford, Mansfield, SPAC
    jeremy.crouse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #43
    imarami
     
    Join Date: May 2012
    Posts: 361

    Shows Seen: 33

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MColin28 View Post
    I think everyone is getting away from the idea of the thread the OP proposed. It's not "what's Dave's favorite song(s) to PLAY"...rather, it's "what's Dave's song that is closest to him in regards to lyrics". Which leads us back to things he's penned because of how close they are to his heart.
    Well in that case, I think Why I Am would be up there for obvious reasons
    imarami is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #44
    bigbeartilidie
     
    bigbeartilidie's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2010
    Location: VT
    Posts: 1,291

    Shows Seen: 106

    Re: Dave's Favorite Song(s)?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MColin28 View Post
    I think everyone is getting away from the idea of the thread the OP proposed. It's not "what's Dave's favorite song(s) to PLAY"...rather, it's "what's Dave's song that is closest to him in regards to lyrics". Which leads us back to things he's penned because of how close they are to his heart.
    OP used an "or" so why not discuss both? His favorite song is something we actually have a concrete answer to. I have no idea what song is the most meaningful to him, lyrically. I'm sure it changes (I assume his more recent songs are more meaningful lyrically to him than his older material, which may have been very meaningful at that time). This tour, he seemed to be into telling stories about the inspiration behind Drunken Soldier (IZOD N2) and how it meant a lot to him that his kids really liked that song (Brooklyn). Maybe that is the current front runner. I have no idea.
    __________________
    My Shows
    bigbeartilidie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #45
    MColin28
     
    MColin28's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2005
    Location: St. Louie
    Posts: 4,226

    Shows Seen: 40

    Re: Dave's Favorite Song(s)?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imarami View Post
    Well in that case, I think Why I Am would be up there for obvious reasons
    Great point! Forgot about that one....
    __________________
    What do you wanna do?
    MColin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #46
    jasonfilatov
     
    Join Date: Feb 2009
    Location: Seattle, WA
    Posts: 4,175

    Shows Seen: 75

    Re: Dave's Favorite Song(s)?

    I always thought he referred to Why I Am as one of Roi's favorite songs. I think if Dave loved it that much it would get the same amount of play as Shake Me or Seven, especially because it's a short one.
    __________________
    willing to punch it out
    jasonfilatov is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #47
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby
     
    btpeters's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2007
    Location: Indianapolis, IN
    Posts: 25,499

    Shows Seen: 68

    Re: Dave's Favorite Song(s)?

    I think Space Between is one of his favorites. Up til this past summer, I don't think he played it because he's aware of Everyday not being a very popular album amongst the fanbase. And the 2 times he brought it back in 2008 was to pin dropping silence.


    And to be honest, i think some of his personal all time favorite stuff is from Everyday.
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #48
    imarami
     
    Join Date: May 2012
    Posts: 361

    Shows Seen: 33

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfilatov View Post
    I always thought he referred to Why I Am as one of Roi's favorite songs. I think if Dave loved it that much it would get the same amount of play as Shake Me or Seven, especially because it's a short one.
    I think we're differentiating between songs Dave enjoys playing live, and songs that have a personal meaning to him due to lyrics. Why I Am was my suggestion for the latter, I think it would be hard to deny that topic doesn't still resonate quite painfully for Dave
    imarami is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #49
    acousticmike80
     
    Join Date: Jun 2006
    Posts: 1,347

    Shows Seen: 82

    Re: Dave's Favorite Song(s)?

    One could also look at Dave's setlists for his solo shows (over the years).

    Songs like: Bartender, So Damn Lucky, Stay Or Leave, Crush etc...have been staples.

    While some of this has to do with how well a song translates solo (as opposed to in a full band setting), it also represents songs that Dave either really likes or feels comfortable with.

    Jimi Thing, Seven, Crush, Drunken Soldier, Bartender, Sister etc...are all songs I think he really enjoys. In addition to some of the older classics (Crash, Satellite etc...).

    I also think the Everyday album (while unpopular to most in this community) does hold a place for him. It was coming off a point where the band felt down, stuck and somewhat uninspired. He had just gotten married, was starting a new track in his life....and probably felt somewhat "free" in that writing process.

    Who knows?
    acousticmike80 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #50
    bigbeartilidie
     
    bigbeartilidie's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2010
    Location: VT
    Posts: 1,291

    Shows Seen: 106

    Re: Dave's Favorite Song(s)?

    Throw Let You Down into the category of songs with deep meaning to Dave. Didn't somebody talk to him in Florida last summer about why they weren't playing it despite acknowledging signs. If I'm not mistaken, that Ant was told that the song was too personal to him and that he would probably never play it again (and that it never should have been on the album to begin with).
    __________________
    My Shows
    bigbeartilidie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #51
    dave4520
    Stl Cardinals
     
    dave4520's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2003
    Location: The STL
    Posts: 1,851

    Shows Seen: 14

    Re: Dave's Favorite Song(s)?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigbeartilidie View Post
    Throw Let You Down into the category of songs with deep meaning to Dave. Didn't somebody talk to him in Florida last summer about why they weren't playing it despite acknowledging signs. If I'm not mistaken, that Ant was told that the song was too personal to him and that he would probably never play it again (and that it never should have been on the album to begin with).
    He's a fag then...

    The song that means the most to him is OBVIOUSLY angel..."I call you up, you pick up"...how do you NOT get emotional after hearing that kind of line?!?!
    dave4520 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #52
    kittensXLI
    Save_Us.Y2J
     
    kittensXLI's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 66,565

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: Dave's Favorite Song(s)?

    Dave likes Jimi Thing.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LadyMadonna68 View Post
    Why the spike in candy consumption?
    kittensXLI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #53
    MColin28
     
    MColin28's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2005
    Location: St. Louie
    Posts: 4,226

    Shows Seen: 40

    Re: Dave's Favorite Song(s)?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigbeartilidie View Post
    Throw Let You Down into the category of songs with deep meaning to Dave. Didn't somebody talk to him in Florida last summer about why they weren't playing it despite acknowledging signs. If I'm not mistaken, that Ant was told that the song was too personal to him and that he would probably never play it again (and that it never should have been on the album to begin with).
    Never heard this! Wonder how true it is? Halloween is played a lot and that's about his first love not accepting his proposal
    __________________
    What do you wanna do?
    MColin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #54
    TheStone91
     
    TheStone91's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: Chicago, IL
    Posts: 6,315

    Shows Seen: 28

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigbeartilidie View Post
    OP used an "or" so why not discuss both? His favorite song is something we actually have a concrete answer to. I have no idea what song is the most meaningful to him, lyrically. I'm sure it changes (I assume his more recent songs are more meaningful lyrically to him than his older material, which may have been very meaningful at that time). This tour, he seemed to be into telling stories about the inspiration behind Drunken Soldier (IZOD N2) and how it meant a lot to him that his kids really liked that song (Brooklyn). Maybe that is the current front runner. I have no idea.
    At first I was hoping for a discussion only about the songs that have strong emotional value to Dave but I guess I did name the thread "Dave's Favorite Songs" haha. I worded it wrong. But this is a cool topic too.
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #55
    TheStone91
     
    TheStone91's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: Chicago, IL
    Posts: 6,315

    Shows Seen: 28

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MColin28 View Post
    I think everyone is getting away from the idea of the thread the OP proposed. It's not "what's Dave's favorite song(s) to PLAY"...rather, it's "what's Dave's song that is closest to him in regards to lyrics". Which leads us back to things he's penned because of how close they are to his heart.
    Thank you for understanding the original intent of this thread. Haha
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #56
    lalkb48
    My name is Dave(really)
     
    lalkb48's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2003
    Location: Hingham, MA
    Posts: 6,154

    Shows Seen: 80

    Re: Dave's Favorite Song(s)?

    Jimi Thing without a doubt. If we stay on the subject of Dave's favorite songs to perform live, we can build a nice list just from tour history and what he chooses to play in D+T and solo settings.

    Two Step, Ants Marching, Time Bomb, Seven, Cornbread, Eh Hee, Proudest Monkey, Gravedigger, Stay or Leave, Don't Drink the Water, So Damn Lucky, Crush, Grey Street, #41, and many more. I don't think Dave necessarily has a 'Personal Top 10' list or anything comparable to that. I think he just always comes back to certain songs because he enjoys playing them so much.

    Also, when Dave is writing a set list, it is very easy for us to label him as lazy. Many of the sets are very similar with little or no changes. Each show seems to have at least 2 or 3 unique songs to them, but other than that we can expect to hear Cornbread, Spaceman, Eh Hee, etc... DMB became a different band in 2008. Rashawn became an intricate member of the band and I think his word has a big influence on the band. He rearranges things and has a good ear when it comes to changing things up. With the addition of Jeff, it was obviously going to take some time for him to catch up with the DMB catalogue and as soon as Big Whiskey was released, the set's were the same night in and night out. Tim can comform to any new song and is much more familiar with the band than Jeff and Rashanw at this point (2008/2009). It was a new beginning for DMB. Jeff, Tim and Rashawn were all involved in the process of BW and not many of those songs have found the shelf yet and continue to be played live. I think a lot of the variety and room for switching up sets went away with Roi. Roi knew the songs and it was probably much easier for Dave to say "Hey, we havent played this in a while, lets play this" because Roi knew the songs. I think we will continue to see BW songs pop up 4 or 5 times a night and with AFTW now released, 10 songs will probably come from BW and AFTW alone. If and when the band releases a new album, anything from the Big 3 will be a treat.

    As for the songs with the most meaning to him personally, I think: Shotgun, Bartender, #41, I'll Back you up, Halloween (at one point), Cry Freedom, Rhyme and Reason, Proudest Monkey, Sister, and Grace Is Gone probably all have a significant personal meaning to him.

    Sorry for going off on a tangent.
    __________________
    124 shows and counting...
    "Always remember the best in a curse on the sweet up and down" - DJM 6-8-10
    lalkb48 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #57
    lalkb48
    My name is Dave(really)
     
    lalkb48's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2003
    Location: Hingham, MA
    Posts: 6,154

    Shows Seen: 80

    Re: Dave's Favorite Song(s)?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acousticmike80 View Post
    One could also look at Dave's setlists for his solo shows (over the years).

    Songs like: Bartender, So Damn Lucky, Stay Or Leave, Crush etc...have been staples.

    While some of this has to do with how well a song translates solo (as opposed to in a full band setting), it also represents songs that Dave either really likes or feels comfortable with.

    Jimi Thing, Seven, Crush, Drunken Soldier, Bartender, Sister etc...are all songs I think he really enjoys. In addition to some of the older classics (Crash, Satellite etc...).

    I also think the Everyday album (while unpopular to most in this community) does hold a place for him. It was coming off a point where the band felt down, stuck and somewhat uninspired. He had just gotten married, was starting a new track in his life....and probably felt somewhat "free" in that writing process.

    Who knows?
    Didnt even see your post and immediately thought of this when I read the OP. I think these are the songs he loves the most.
    __________________
    124 shows and counting...
    "Always remember the best in a curse on the sweet up and down" - DJM 6-8-10
    lalkb48 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #58
    MColin28
     
    MColin28's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2005
    Location: St. Louie
    Posts: 4,226

    Shows Seen: 40

    Re: Dave's Favorite Song(s)?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheStone91 View Post
    Thank you for understanding the original intent of this thread. Haha

    Thought so
    __________________
    What do you wanna do?
    MColin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #59
    Jordan#41
     
    Jordan#41's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Location: New York, New York
    Posts: 8,886

    Shows Seen: 37

    Re: Dave's Favorite Song(s)?

    Dave Matthews has the worst taste in DMB music.
    __________________
    The War on Drugs 1.29.22 @ MSG
    Arcade Fire 3.18.22 @ Bowery Ballroom
    Jordan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #60
    MColin28
     
    MColin28's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2005
    Location: St. Louie
    Posts: 4,226

    Shows Seen: 40

    Re: Dave's Favorite Song(s)?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jordan#41 View Post
    Dave Matthews has the worst taste in DMB music.

    Sad.....true.
    __________________
    What do you wanna do?
    MColin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:25 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Privacy Policy
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Ants Facebook
    Ants Instagram