FONZ vs. FLEA - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
View Poll Results: FONZ vs. FLEA (Better Basist)
Fonz 108 34.29%
Flea 207 65.71%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2006, 08:04 PM   #31
windsurf83
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 519

Shows Seen: 23

Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

both are great players in great bands, music is just a language, they both have their own unique style.
windsurf83 is offline   Reply With Quote

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-11-2006, 08:09 PM   #32
    adzack3441
     
    adzack3441's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: Pennsauken, NJ
    Posts: 313

    Shows Seen: 65

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    Ummm WRONG! Flea is not clearly a better bassist than Fonz. Everyone seems to think Flea is god on bass. Its a common misconception because of how loud he plays and the fact that he slaps. Fonz never does any lead stuff like Flea but its clear he could if he wanted. If you really pay attention to what Stefan is doing in DMB songs you'd hear the talent he has. The fact that Stefan anchors down the sound of a band with a drummer as busy and overplaying as Carter says a lot on its own.
    adzack3441 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 08:12 PM   #33
    Carbon Copy
    Can you still have fun?
     
    Carbon Copy's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Posts: 22,934

    Shows Seen: 12

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adzack3441
    Ummm WRONG! Flea is not clearly a better bassist than Fonz. Everyone seems to think Flea is god on bass. Its a common misconception because of how loud he plays and the fact that he slaps. Fonz never does any lead stuff like Flea but its clear he could if he wanted. If you really pay attention to what Stefan is doing in DMB songs you'd hear the talent he has. The fact that Stefan anchors down the sound of a band with a drummer as busy and overplaying as Carter says a lot on its own.
    i read this and stick with my opinion. flea could sit in with dmb and do just as much as fonz x 10. put fonz with the rhcp and see what happens. maybe he would be just as good?
    Carbon Copy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 08:12 PM   #34
    Blazinfastballz
     
    Blazinfastballz's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: Albany NY
    Posts: 391

    Shows Seen: 7

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adzack3441
    Ummm WRONG! Flea is not clearly a better bassist than Fonz. Everyone seems to think Flea is god on bass. Its a common misconception because of how loud he plays and the fact that he slaps. Fonz never does any lead stuff like Flea but its clear he could if he wanted. If you really pay attention to what Stefan is doing in DMB songs you'd hear the talent he has. The fact that Stefan anchors down the sound of a band with a drummer as busy and overplaying as Carter says a lot on its own.
    pass me the crack pipe when your finished with it will ya ?
    Blazinfastballz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 08:14 PM   #35
    bc8109
    All in a day's dream
     
    bc8109's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2004
    Location: Orange, CT
    Posts: 3,264

    Shows Seen: 18

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy
    i read this and stick with my opinion. flea could sit in with dmb and do just as much as fonz x 10. put fonz with the rhcp and see what happens. maybe he would be just as good?
    Put Fonz with RHCP and RHCP fails to be anything they are, I can't even imagine what RHCP would be like without Flea. Flea with DMB? I have no doubt he'd tear up the stage alongside the band. Flea is just a much more talented bass player in my opinion
    __________________
    -Brendan

    but laughing out loud makes it feel alright.
    bc8109 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 08:15 PM   #36
    BDJCL3
    Piss on you Wyatt
     
    BDJCL3's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: NC
    Posts: 9,568

    Shows Seen: 18

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    almost definitely flea
    __________________
    ~Chris

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DontStonethePig View Post
    Tapers are Gods among drunks... thank you tapers for letting us re-live our shows
    BDJCL3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 08:50 PM   #37
    jr_cigar
    Hani, Hani
     
    jr_cigar's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2004
    Location: Toronto, Canada
    Posts: 648

    Shows Seen: 13

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    in a band like dmb, u don't hear what stefan does a lot... well, unless ur stoned. RHCP are very bass oriented band. So its a tough judge of stefan's skill. I also find it funny this poll now exists after i mentioned it... i feel so cool.
    __________________
    Come and daaaaaaaaaaaaaance.....
    jr_cigar is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 08:55 PM   #38
    thestand
    Best Ever
     
    thestand's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: LA/NYC
    Posts: 40,071

    Shows Seen: 29

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    It's not even close, Flea by a mile. A closer race would be Flea v Geddy Lee. Most likely the best at both of their own styles/genres, I see that one coming out close. (But don't turn this into another Carter thing with 12 'Stefan v' threads.)
    __________________
    When you punish a person for dreaming his dream,
    Don't expect him to thank or forgive you.
    The best ever death metal band out of Denton
    Will in time both outpace and outlive you, Hail Satan!
    thestand is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 08:55 PM   #39
    JorgeCavos
    4 8 15 16 23 42
     
    JorgeCavos's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Location: Cherry Hill, NJ
    Posts: 3,703

    Shows Seen: 25

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adzack3441
    Ummm WRONG! Flea is not clearly a better bassist than Fonz. Everyone seems to think Flea is god on bass. Its a common misconception because of how loud he plays and the fact that he slaps. Fonz never does any lead stuff like Flea but its clear he could if he wanted. If you really pay attention to what Stefan is doing in DMB songs you'd hear the talent he has. The fact that Stefan anchors down the sound of a band with a drummer as busy and overplaying as Carter says a lot on its own.
    I personally disagree with this and think that Flea is a better bassist, but I do respect that fact that you're one of the only ones to back up your opinion.

    I voted Flea
    __________________
    -Matt
    JorgeCavos is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 08:56 PM   #40
    DreamBoy88
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Posts: 90

    Shows Seen: 18

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    anyone who votes for fonz is retarted...flea owns the hell out of him
    DreamBoy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 08:57 PM   #41
    thestand
    Best Ever
     
    thestand's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: LA/NYC
    Posts: 40,071

    Shows Seen: 29

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    But then again, as you can see from my avatar, I'm partial to Geddy Lee.
    __________________
    When you punish a person for dreaming his dream,
    Don't expect him to thank or forgive you.
    The best ever death metal band out of Denton
    Will in time both outpace and outlive you, Hail Satan!
    thestand is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 08:58 PM   #42
    bc8109
    All in a day's dream
     
    bc8109's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2004
    Location: Orange, CT
    Posts: 3,264

    Shows Seen: 18

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DreamBoy88
    anyone who votes for fonz is retarted...flea owns the hell out of him
    Wow, I'm just amazed at your intelligent argument there, nice one chief....
    __________________
    -Brendan

    but laughing out loud makes it feel alright.
    bc8109 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 09:02 PM   #43
    Arby
    We Have The Meats
     
    Arby's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Posts: 89,478

    Shows Seen: 24

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adzack3441
    Ummm WRONG! Flea is not clearly a better bassist than Fonz. Everyone seems to think Flea is god on bass. Its a common misconception because of how loud he plays and the fact that he slaps. Fonz never does any lead stuff like Flea but its clear he could if he wanted. If you really pay attention to what Stefan is doing in DMB songs you'd hear the talent he has. The fact that Stefan anchors down the sound of a band with a drummer as busy and overplaying as Carter says a lot on its own.
    Ya, thanks for putting your opinion out there, but I still deff. disagree.
    __________________
    -Arby
    Arby is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 09:28 PM   #44
    Blazinfastballz
     
    Blazinfastballz's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: Albany NY
    Posts: 391

    Shows Seen: 7

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thestand
    But then again, as you can see from my avatar, I'm partial to Geddy Lee.
    geddy lee is awesome
    Blazinfastballz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 09:36 PM   #45
    thebiglargeness
    'grux acad. student #26
     
    Join Date: Nov 2005
    Location: tennessee
    Posts: 109

    Shows Seen: 1

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    vic wooten smashes em both

    but of those two, i gotta give it to flea
    thebiglargeness is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 09:37 PM   #46
    ant_marching41
    The Jedi
     
    ant_marching41's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Jersey City, NJ
    Posts: 16,609

    Shows Seen: 37

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    Flea, but thats part due to the fact that he gets to show off more because its that style of music. I cant picture stefan doing a bass solo in any song. We've only heard him pre-Watchtower.
    ant_marching41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 09:47 PM   #47
    JoelB2222
    The Mad Violinist
     
    JoelB2222's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Location: Cape Cod, MA
    Posts: 348

    Shows Seen: 15

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    I love Fonz but I could never give him the vote in this. Especially since I rarely hear him getting his own solos, while Flea is like one constant improv onstage. Besides, how awesome is Stadium Arcadium? Best album since Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

    Joel
    JoelB2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 09:50 PM   #48
    MistreatedLewis
     
    Join Date: Jan 2003
    Posts: 56,472

    Shows Seen: 17

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    If I were just going to listen to a bass by itself, I prefer Flea.

    But I wouldn't want Flea's style in DMB. I think Stefan could do a lot more than he does (and by could I mean should)... but I think a more jazz / less funk style suits my DMB preferences more.
    MistreatedLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 09:50 PM   #49
    MistreatedLewis
     
    Join Date: Jan 2003
    Posts: 56,472

    Shows Seen: 17

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    If I were just going to listen to a bass by itself, I prefer Flea.

    But I wouldn't want Flea's style in DMB. I think Stefan could do a lot more than he does (and by could I mean should)... but I think a more jazz / less funk style suits my DMB preferences more.
    MistreatedLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 09:51 PM   #50
    MistreatedLewis
     
    Join Date: Jan 2003
    Posts: 56,472

    Shows Seen: 17

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    What the fuck is wrong with this website lately? Geeeeez.... sorry about the 10 posts!
    MistreatedLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 09:55 PM   #51
    AlanA4
     
    AlanA4's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2005
    Location: Ontop of the World With My Legs Hangin Free
    Posts: 1,476

    Shows Seen: 10

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    flea is definatley one of the best bassists out there, vic is up there also. Fonz is a great bassist but his role is more to keep things togeher on stage musicly and Flea is more out there to improvise and impress
    __________________
    No Reason To Get Excited...
    AlanA4 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 09:55 PM   #52
    Rapunzel88
    In the spotlight
     
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Posts: 114

    Shows Seen: 9

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    I'm going with Flea, mainly because he can sit in with almost any band and play their style. He's a flexible bassist with quick hands. Fonz grew up on Jazz oriented bass and will perhaps be that way for the rest of his life. Fonz will not be able to sit in RHCP and do what Flea does, but Flea can sit in on DMB and do what Fonz does, probably better then he does it.
    __________________
    Fun I've Had:
    2005 - 12/09, 12/10
    2006 - 6/27, 6/28, 7/5, 7/28, 7/29, 8/5, 8/6
    Rapunzel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 09:59 PM   #53
    MistreatedLewis
     
    Join Date: Jan 2003
    Posts: 56,472

    Shows Seen: 17

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    I think it's actually unfortunate that Flea was in the Chili Peppers - I feel like his talent outstrips his band by about a million billion zillion.
    MistreatedLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 10:04 PM   #54
    adzack3441
     
    adzack3441's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: Pennsauken, NJ
    Posts: 313

    Shows Seen: 65

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    I'm the only person who has actually stated an opinion.....you are all just flatly stating Flea is better....period....no complimentary points. The fact is Flea is definitely nasty....but if Stefan was playing in what basically amounts to a three piece band with a vocalist and every song was drummed very simply as is the case with RHCP he'd be all over the place with improv and basically impressing you the same way Flea does. If you can't tell Stefan has the chops that Flea has then you flat out don't listen to what he does with this band.

    But one or two of you even mentioned Flea in the same breath as Victor Wooten.....thats completely insane. Stefan and Flea are much closer in chops than either of them are to Victor Wooten.....Victor Wooten is untouchable as far as technical ability.

    PS...I play bass...which makes me an expert so everything I've stated is fact and if you disagree YOU ARE WRONG!!

    haha j/k

    but I do play bass
    adzack3441 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 10:34 PM   #55
    trippinchad
    Nothing But Beard
     
    trippinchad's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Location: Charlottesville, VA
    Posts: 17,918

    Shows Seen: 24

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    Flea is better

    But every member fits in their band.
    Fonz fits in DMB perfectly(IMO)and Flea fits in w/the RHCP
    __________________
    -Chad

    #NATITUDE
    trippinchad is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 11:03 PM   #56
    keegnine
     
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Location: L-Town (Lincoln, NE)
    Posts: 66

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    did flea ever play upright
    keegnine is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 11:41 PM   #57
    AlanA4
     
    AlanA4's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2005
    Location: Ontop of the World With My Legs Hangin Free
    Posts: 1,476

    Shows Seen: 10

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adzack3441
    I'm the only person who has actually stated an opinion.....you are all just flatly stating Flea is better....period....no complimentary points. The fact is Flea is definitely nasty....but if Stefan was playing in what basically amounts to a three piece band with a vocalist and every song was drummed very simply as is the case with RHCP he'd be all over the place with improv and basically impressing you the same way Flea does. If you can't tell Stefan has the chops that Flea has then you flat out don't listen to what he does with this band.

    But one or two of you even mentioned Flea in the same breath as Victor Wooten.....thats completely insane. Stefan and Flea are much closer in chops than either of them are to Victor Wooten.....Victor Wooten is untouchable as far as technical ability.

    PS...I play bass...which makes me an expert so everything I've stated is fact and if you disagree YOU ARE WRONG!!

    haha j/k

    but I do play bass
    but do you consider flea and fonz to be top notch bassists, or just average, i don't play much bass, but its clear that the two have very different styles, but i can't see fonz doing what flea does with the peppers, while i could see flea slowing down and playing with DMB and pulling out a sweet solo every now and again.
    __________________
    No Reason To Get Excited...
    AlanA4 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 11:45 PM   #58
    Hawk#41
    Bartender Please
     
    Hawk#41's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2006
    Location: On top of the world with your legs hanging free (North Shore MA)
    Posts: 3,771

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    Fonz is untouchable, far better than flea, and there is absolutely no comparison ..






    at posting on myspace!!
    Hawk#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 11:48 PM   #59
    AlanA4
     
    AlanA4's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2005
    Location: Ontop of the World With My Legs Hangin Free
    Posts: 1,476

    Shows Seen: 10

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hawk#41
    Fonz is untouchable, far better than flea, and there is absolutely no comparison ..






    at posting on myspace!!
    absolutley, fonz is much cooler

    but is he better...
    __________________
    No Reason To Get Excited...
    AlanA4 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2006, 11:49 PM   #60
    Hawk#41
    Bartender Please
     
    Hawk#41's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2006
    Location: On top of the world with your legs hanging free (North Shore MA)
    Posts: 3,771

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: FONZ vs. FLEA

    cooler = better!!!
    Hawk#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:25 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Privacy Policy
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Ants Facebook
    Ants Instagram