Turning old tour shirts into a blanket? - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 09-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #1
chadizzy1
Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Turning old tour shirts into a blanket?

I thought I had seen some people before say they had turned some old tour shirts into a blanket, was curious if anyone had any insight about where something like this could get done.

My best friend of 20 years passed away recently - he was an Ant and a huge DMB fan. All of his stuff became mine and I can't keep it all, but I'm keeping stuff that's important to me. I found a bunch of DMB tour shirts from shows we went to, and he was a bigger guy so they don't fit me. But I want to do something with them so I thought about turning them into a blanket.

Just curious if anyone has any insight about doing this. Thanks!
chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-15-2017, 11:55 AM   #2
    jmc419

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Turning old tour shirts into a blanket?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    I thought I had seen some people before say they had turned some old tour shirts into a blanket, was curious if anyone had any insight about where something like this could get done.

My best friend of 20 years passed away recently - he was an Ant and a huge DMB fan. All of his stuff became mine and I can't keep it all, but I'm keeping stuff that's important to me. I found a bunch of DMB tour shirts from shows we went to, and he was a bigger guy so they don't fit me. But I want to do something with them so I thought about turning them into a blanket.

I have a friend that does this. She is on facebook, search for @shoptheyard and look for pictures of the memory quilts.
    jmc419 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-15-2017, 12:04 PM   #3
    Ripcord

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

I actually just got in the process of doing this from a company. I have not gotten it back yet, but they had a super nice sale of 40% off for LAbor day. (They normally do a 50% off sale around black friday)

All in all, for 30 shirts to be on the quilt cost about $125.00. I had to pay to ship the shirts to the company as a separate charge. Used a free USPS box and it cost about $18 or $19 to ship it flat rate. The total cost from the company was $107 I believe. so about $125. I also chose to use the bigger size XL t-shirt panels since they were shirts from when I was fat lol and didn't want to just throw them away.
    Ripcord is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-15-2017, 02:33 PM   #4
    snake911

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

You may be able to find folks near you that make quilts, same process. If you can find a quilting group you essentially just use cut t-shirt squares as the fabric base for your quilting pieces. You may find someone who wants to do it for you (either for practice or a small fee for labor) or you could have them mentor you through the construction of the quilt yourself. I'm a crocheter and its pretty awesome when someone says "hey thats cool, where did you get it" and you can answer "I made it". Could be a really cool way of building your own memorial to your friend.
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-15-2017, 02:37 PM   #5
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

I only have like 6 shirts (11 sides, one of them didn't have a back), but they were all 2X so I'm hoping that's enough to do something with!
    Old 09-15-2017, 02:46 PM   #6
    snake911

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I only have like 6 shirts (11 sides, one of them didn't have a back), but they were all 2X so I'm hoping that's enough to do something with!
    That wont make a very big blanket, but you can always place other fabric squares in the quilt to make it the size you want and symmetrical.
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-15-2017, 03:05 PM   #7
    iammine

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

First and foremost, sorry to hear about your loss.

As far as the blankets are concerned, when I did mine they needed the number of sides. It didn't matter if the shirts came from an xs or xxl, I had to cut out the 12x12 squares I wanted stitched on based on the size of the quilt I was looking for. It was a super easy project and I'm glad I did it rather than tossing all of the old shirts that had seen better days.

I went through Project Repat (https://www.projectrepat.com/product...-t-shirt-quilt) and a LivingSocial/Groupon site for like 50-60% off.

From the Repat site:

Quote:
    HOW MANY T-SHIRTS DO I NEED?

Lap - 16 sides of shirts
    Twin - 24 sides of shirts
    Full - 30 sides of shirts
    Queen - 49 sides of shirts
    King - 64 sides of shirts

NOTE: A side of a shirt is either the front OR the back of the shirt, and YES, you can use both sides!
    Good luck!
    iammine is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-15-2017, 03:13 PM   #8
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iammine View Post
    First and foremost, sorry to hear about your loss.

As far as the blankets are concerned, when I did mine they needed the number of sides. It didn't matter if the shirts came from an xs or xxl, I had to cut out the 12x12 squares I wanted stitched on based on the size of the quilt I was looking for. It was a super easy project and I'm glad I did it rather than tossing all of the old shirts that had seen better days.

I went through Project Repat (https://www.projectrepat.com/product...-t-shirt-quilt) and a LivingSocial/Groupon site for like 50-60% off.

From the Repat site:

Good luck!
    Someone else suggested them, too. I may pull in some more of his shirts to make a bigger blanket. As long as they're not logo shirts I think the DMB stuff could still remain the focal point.
    Old 09-15-2017, 05:47 PM   #9
    garagebrothers

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

My condolences good sir. Thoughts and prayers.
    garagebrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-15-2017, 08:40 PM   #10
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Someone else suggested them, too. I may pull in some more of his shirts to make a bigger blanket. As long as they're not logo shirts I think the DMB stuff could still remain the focal point.
    Throw pillows are another suggestion. One shirt on each side. If you're worried you don't have enough shirts.
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-07-2017, 01:32 PM   #11
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

I used Project Repat and got my t-shirt quilt back today. I did the twin size one, and the 14x14 panels (it was a little over 100 bucks - much cheaper than other places were charging). Turnaround time was about a week (I paid the extra 30 bucks for rush shipping+custom designing). I'll attach a photo of it.

It turned out really good. I took all of my friend's DMB shirts and used those for the quilt, but needed more squares to fill in. So I went back and looked at all our albums and found the shirts he wore on our travels to DMB shows that weren't tour shirts, and when I cleaned out his apartment I sat those shirts aside and used them to fill in the gaps.

It turned out really nice!
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg Quilt.jpg (67.8 KB, 89 views)
    Old 10-07-2017, 04:46 PM   #12
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I used Project Repat and got my t-shirt quilt back today. I did the twin size one, and the 14x14 panels (it was a little over 100 bucks - much cheaper than other places were charging). Turnaround time was about a week (I paid the extra 30 bucks for rush shipping+custom designing). I'll attach a photo of it.

It turned out really good. I took all of my friend's DMB shirts and used those for the quilt, but needed more squares to fill in. So I went back and looked at all our albums and found the shirts he wore on our travels to DMB shows that weren't tour shirts, and when I cleaned out his apartment I sat those shirts aside and used them to fill in the gaps.

That turned out nice and a great way to honor your friend
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-07-2017, 06:38 PM   #13
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

chad, how much did that set you back? i have about 30 shirts that i need to chop up (want to make a blanket out of all my shirts from college). i've been wanting to do it since 2011. did they cut everything or did you have to send precut?
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-07-2017, 06:51 PM   #14
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
    chad, how much did that set you back? i have about 30 shirts that i need to chop up (want to make a blanket out of all my shirts from college). i've been wanting to do it since 2011. did they cut everything or did you have to send precut?
    That blanket was 129.99 for the twin size (24 panels/sides). Each "side" is a front or back of a shirt.

They have promo codes all the time. I found one that actually knocked it down to 100 bucks, and then I added on the 30 bucks for custom designing (telling them where I want each shirt - they let you send in a photo of the layout and they make it the way you want) and rush shipping, so it ended up at around 130 all in.

The only thing you have to do is cut the sides. Basically just cut the side of the shirt, the sleeves, and separate the "sides". Only send in the sides you want them to put in the blanket. Best way to do it is cram it all into a large flat rate box, which is like 18 bucks.

If you do 30 shirts (30 panels/sides), it looks like that's a full size blanket and would be 149.99. But honestly, if you sign up they pretty much instantly give you a 15%-20% off promo code. And you can sometimes find better ones online, too!

Not sure if it still works, but OCTSPECIAL promo code gives you 35% off your order.

Last edited by chadizzy1; 10-07-2017 at 06:53 PM.
    Old 10-08-2017, 05:19 AM   #15
    jenhen27
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

That looks really nice Chad. I was thinking it would be all patterns but I like the solids in between. That's a very nice keepsake.

jenhen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-08-2017, 06:51 AM   #16
    ryguy637
    Ryan

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Looks really good chad. I'm glad it worked out !
    ryguy637 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #17
    SeanMH
    GoWokeGoBroke

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryguy637 View Post
    Looks really good chad. I'm glad it worked out !

very cool...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Klize17 View Post
    Last nights was the best version of Satellite I have ever heard.
    SeanMH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-10-2017, 11:35 AM   #18
    754silicaroadNW

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I’m so sorry for your loss man! Although I have no answers for you regarding the quilt, I hope your friend is forever dancing with the Groogrux king!
    754silicaroadNW is offline   Reply With Quote