Davetabs.com gone?? - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-19-2021, 10:33 AM   #31
groogrux27

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Davetabs.com gone??

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers11 View Post
If I was to consolidate the tabs into a folder on Google Drive, is that something that people would be interested in? I don't think it would be that much work or take too much time.
i would 100% use it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
j. mayer could easily replace dave in dmb
groogrux27 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-19-2021, 10:47 AM   #32
    firedancer34

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If I was to consolidate the tabs into a folder on Google Drive, is that something that people would be interested in? I don't think it would be that much work or take too much time.
    definitely. though id say it needs to be a site name like dmbguitartabs.com (just an example), not something like http://google.drive.com/2233_89886. needs to have a clear site name that people can find organically and then just a list of songs that link to tabs.
    firedancer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2021, 10:50 AM   #33
    groogrux27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by firedancer34 View Post
    definitely. though id say it needs to be a site name like dmbguitartabs.com (just an example), not something like http://google.drive.com/2233_89886. needs to have a clear site name that people can find organically and then just a list of songs that link to tabs.
    while i agree, i think this is mostly just a link that would get passed around that would contain the files, not an actual website

unless i'm misunderstanding something
    Quote:
    Old 03-19-2021, 11:26 AM   #34
    firedancer34

Shows Seen: 55

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by groogrux27 View Post
    while i agree, i think this is mostly just a link that would get passed around that would contain the files, not an actual website

unless i'm misunderstanding something
    i get it, that's good for a lot of people, but there would be a lot of people who would never know about it. is it possible to buy a domain name that redirects to the google drive folder? im sure we could fund that pretty quickly without starting a patreon lol.
    firedancer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2021, 11:26 AM   #35
    whiskers11

Shows Seen: 43

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Unfortunately my abilities are definitely limited, but I would be happy to at least compile the tabs if somebody else wants to then put them on a site.
    whiskers11 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2021, 11:36 AM   #36
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I would absolutely be interested

Quote:
    Originally Posted by firedancer34 View Post
    i get it, that's good for a lot of people, but there would be a lot of people who would never know about it. is it possible to buy a domain name that redirects to the google drive folder? im sure we could fund that pretty quickly without starting a patreon lol.
    But realistically, most guitarists who aren’t huge DMB fans (so those not on Ants/WH boards) are just going to Ultimate-Guitar anyways.
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2021, 11:45 AM   #37
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I've learned a grand total of 2 DMB covers in the last several years so maybe I'm not the best person to be making suggestions, I will say however I thought the message board section on dmbtabs.com had value. Did Davetabs.com have something like that?
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2021, 02:03 PM   #38
    Bmwm3oz

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I’ll just use the web archive tool.

This was handled poorly and the whole ‘well, I maintained it since the beginning so I’m trying to retroactively recoup costs’ thing is a turn off. Feels wishy washy.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160303...ong.php?sid=28
    Bmwm3oz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2021, 05:55 PM   #39
    Gaijin86

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz View Post
    I’ll just use the web archive tool.

This was handled poorly and the whole ‘well, I maintained it since the beginning so I’m trying to retroactively recoup costs’ thing is a turn off. Feels wishy washy.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160303...ong.php?sid=28
    Yea, I gotta agree. Most of the core tabs were straight lifted from dmbtabs.com and yet the creator of davetabs seems to take ownership (e.g. his Patreon includes "access" to pdfs of them). Also, gotta agree on the whole recoup costs notion; if he inefficiently hosted the tabs on his own that his prerogative but it is insincere to then implore the community for payback for something you implemented poorly. He seems mostly well-intentioned but the optics are bad.
    Old 03-20-2021, 05:01 AM   #40
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Unfortunately my abilities are definitely limited, but I would be happy to at least compile the tabs if somebody else wants to then put them on a site.
    Yeah I’d be in to assist
    Old 03-20-2021, 04:18 PM   #41
    vilmafan51

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Hey everyone- more than happy to address some of the questions and comments about the site that have come up in this thread (it seems there’s been a few)!

As a reminder, the site began about 10 years ago when DMB tabs were becoming increasingly scattered (and inaccurate) online. DMBtabs (the site) had stopped updating about 10 years before that, so as a devoted DMB guitar player a new site was just something I thought I would create for everyone’s use and benefit.

I fully acknowledge, embrace, and am forever appreciative that many of the early tabs were created by DMBtabs (Kanter, Brock and the rest of their crew). I, and all of us, forever thank them for being the first to go out and put those early tabs together as they did, and in no way does DaveTabs stand for anything other than that. Now it’s been almost 20 years since the tabs on DMBtabs were last added and obviously the site no longer has functionality. The goal has always been to fill in this tab gap, updated and accurate into the future for everyone’s use.

To be clear, DaveTabs has never had a “paywall” or any cost associated with it, and will continue to be publicly accessible for free once back up. The DaveTabs Patreon is just a way for those who have particularly enjoyed or benefited from using the site (and who are so willing) to support. The patreon is really not some effort to recoup anything and make up for lost time or anything like that. Once the site is recreated it will be back up publicly with no costs associated with accessing the tabs, as always. And note that the temporary tabs available are simply tabs so people can have access while the site is down. These tabs will no longer be on Patreon once the site is back up (since the song pages will be publicly available as normal on the site then).

At this time, I’m actively working to get the new DaveTabs site up which is taking a great deal of work to complete (as mentioned elsewhere, this recreation was necessary because the main tooling the site was built on was expiring). The new site will have some particularly useful (and working) features to utilize, such as each studio track and the best clear video reference of Dave playing each song on the fretboard on each respective song page. As a player myself I know how helpful it can be to have these references at your fingertips. And worth mentioning that as compared to tabs on something like Ultimate-Guitar, I make a very serious effort to confirm each tab is how Dave actually plays it, is overall comprehensive/accurate, plus add Tim’s parts and variations, etc.

Ultimately as most know, DaveTabs has been a side project that i’ve spent tons of time maintaining and am happy to continue the effort. I will continue to make sure the site stays updated into the future (as this new site will now allow), and hope to have a new album at some point soon to get really busy tabbing!
    Old 03-20-2021, 05:36 PM   #42
    rmp207

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vilmafan51 View Post
    Hey everyone- more than happy to address some of the questions and comments about the site that have come up in this thread (it seems there’s been a few)!

As a reminder, the site began about 10 years ago when DMB tabs were becoming increasingly scattered (and inaccurate) online. DMBtabs (the site) had stopped updating about 10 years before that, so as a devoted DMB guitar player a new site was just something I thought I would create for everyone’s use and benefit.

I fully acknowledge, embrace, and am forever appreciative that many of the early tabs were created by DMBtabs (Kanter, Brock and the rest of their crew). I, and all of us, forever thank them for being the first to go out and put those early tabs together as they did, and in no way does DaveTabs stand for anything other than that. Now it’s been almost 20 years since the tabs on DMBtabs were last added and obviously the site no longer has functionality. The goal has always been to fill in this tab gap, updated and accurate into the future for everyone’s use.

To be clear, DaveTabs has never had a “paywall” or any cost associated with it, and will continue to be publicly accessible for free once back up. The DaveTabs Patreon is just a way for those who have particularly enjoyed or benefited from using the site (and who are so willing) to support. The patreon is really not some effort to recoup anything and make up for lost time or anything like that. Once the site is recreated it will be back up publicly with no costs associated with accessing the tabs, as always. And note that the temporary tabs available are simply tabs so people can have access while the site is down. These tabs will no longer be on Patreon once the site is back up (since the song pages will be publicly available as normal on the site then).

At this time, I’m actively working to get the new DaveTabs site up which is taking a great deal of work to complete (as mentioned elsewhere, this recreation was necessary because the main tooling the site was built on was expiring). The new site will have some particularly useful (and working) features to utilize, such as each studio track and the best clear video reference of Dave playing each song on the fretboard on each respective song page. As a player myself I know how helpful it can be to have these references at your fingertips. And worth mentioning that as compared to tabs on something like Ultimate-Guitar, I make a very serious effort to confirm each tab is how Dave actually plays it, is overall comprehensive/accurate, plus add Tim’s parts and variations, etc.

Ultimately as most know, DaveTabs has been a side project that i’ve spent tons of time maintaining and am happy to continue the effort. I will continue to make sure the site stays updated into the future (as this new site will now allow), and hope to have a new album at some point soon to get really busy tabbing!

Thank you for the update. The site and tabs have been a great source over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rmp207 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 06:21 AM   #43
    MSIMSON

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

A while back, I wrote a tool to scrape all of the tabs and export them to PDFs. While we wait for the new davetabs website, here's a download link for the PDFs in case anyone is interested.

(I captured the tabs a couple years ago, so anything added since then will be missing, but it's mostly complete. Also, the layout of the web pages on the old davetabs site wasn't 100% uniform. Some pages were formatted slightly different than others, so it's possible that some of the PDFs will be messed up. If you find any, let me know, and I'll see what I can do to fix it.)

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 07-21-2021 at 10:30 PM.
    MSIMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 09:14 AM   #44
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSIMSON View Post
    A while back, I wrote a tool to scrape all of the tabs and export them to PDFs. While we wait for the new davetabs website, here's a download link for the PDFs in case anyone is interested.

(I captured the tabs a couple years ago, so anything added since then will be missing, but it's mostly complete. Also, the layout of the web pages on the old davetabs site wasn't 100% uniform. Some pages were formatted slightly different than others, so it's possible that some of the PDFs will be messed up. If you find any, let me know, and I'll see what I can do to fix it.)
    I was going to say, shouldn't be too hard to rip them off the old site and just keep them somewhere or even host them stating they are taken from old sites.
    Thanks though, grabbed them

willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 11:03 AM   #45
    Dougie Jones

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks for putting these PDFs together. If you're ever stuck, Carson Mac has incredible lessons on YouTube that got me over the hump with some of the trickier songs.
    Dougie Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 12:18 PM   #46
    HonestDenver1

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

does anyone know if a boydtabs.com exists?
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 12:33 PM   #47
    maythekarma1

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 View Post
    Hahaha. This gave me a good chuckle. If it's a joke or genuine, this still cracks me up.
    maythekarma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 12:57 PM   #48
    groogrux27

My Tour Central Stats

if this doesn't belong here, i'll go over to nDMBc, but if there are any dispatch fans that have anything saved from tabsinonefellswoop.com

i would love you forever
    Quote:
    Old 03-24-2021, 12:59 PM   #49
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maythekarma1 View Post
    Hahaha. This gave me a good chuckle. If it's a joke or genuine, this still cracks me up.
    Maybe I'll start it. Translating fiddle parts to guitar tabs... Tim Reynolds has been doing it a couple years now.
    Old 03-24-2021, 01:01 PM   #50
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by groogrux27 View Post
    if this doesn't belong here, i'll go over to nDMBc, but if there are any dispatch fans that have anything saved from tabsinonefellswoop.com

i would love you forever
    One fell swoop. I don't think you know what it means.
    Old 03-24-2021, 01:48 PM   #51
    SPAC_Boy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    SPAC_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2021, 05:05 PM   #52
    ForkInFork

Shows Seen: 71

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSIMSON View Post

cheers, thanks for that. Anything missing I'll try and grab from waybackmachine

ForkInFork is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2021, 07:14 AM   #53
    ForkInFork

My Tour Central Stats

Since late March when the site was due up early April, crickets on this. I guess its a permanent paywall site now?
    Old 06-21-2021, 11:31 AM   #54
    mdel21

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maythekarma1 View Post
    Especially given most were ripped off from Dmbtabs as well. Some even have the same notes and instructions.
    Yes
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gaijin86 View Post
    Yea, I gotta agree. Most of the core tabs were straight lifted from dmbtabs.com and yet the creator of davetabs seems to take ownership (e.g. his Patreon includes "access" to pdfs of them). Also, gotta agree on the whole recoup costs notion; if he inefficiently hosted the tabs on his own that his prerogative but it is insincere to then implore the community for payback for something you implemented poorly. He seems mostly well-intentioned but the optics are bad.
    Yes
    Quote:
    You have to donate a pair of used socks for VIP access.
    mdel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-24-2021, 05:49 AM   #55
    Scizzi
    DOWN BY THE BAYOU

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I'm working on something fun! Hopefully it'll be considered the "new" Dave Tabs... And guess what? I'm not charging anyone!
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 8.45.29 AM.jpg (77.5 KB, 47 views)
    Scizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-24-2021, 06:09 AM   #56
    camptravisr
    Numbered Beats

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scizzi View Post
    I'm working on something fun! Hopefully it'll be considered the "new" Dave Tabs... And guess what? I'm not charging anyone!
    Awesome Looking forward to it and appreciate your efforts
    camptravisr is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-24-2021, 06:12 AM   #57
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

I get the charging conceptually. To make a site that is interactive to any degree that people will use it anymore costs money that few people have (especially after buying their concert tickets these days), but there's a limit to what's acceptable. Even if it is the coolest redesign ever, you've lost a good chunk of those that would visit it just because of how all this transpired. Good luck, you'll need it.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-24-2021, 09:29 AM   #58
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Old 06-24-2021, 08:12 PM   #59
    ForkInFork

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Cheers, bud!
    Old 06-25-2021, 10:11 AM   #60
    sean52692

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Looks great, can't wait.
    sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote