Parenting Thread - Page 19 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-22-2021, 10:26 AM   #541
Roose13
Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Parenting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post
We gave up on the game of trying to get our kid to fall asleep in our arms so we could lightly transition him into the crib and hope he doesn't wake up around 9-10 months.

He learned to fall asleep on his own. We just put him down in the crib while awake. Maybe that means crying or pouting for a couple minutes first, but eventually he will plop down. At least in our case, once we learned that was an option, we never looked back.
He was doing that. We'd rock him a little and then put him down while groggy. He's got some molars trying to pop in, plus this is a clingy stage. Deadly combo.

NHL Thread Banner
-2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
-2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
-2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
-2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-22-2021, 10:28 AM   #542
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I still take my seven year old to bed, I read her Harry Potter. It's our thing.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2021, 10:37 AM   #543
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    In 1.5 days? What does that mean, a good day and a half and you're done?

We can get ours using the potty 90-100% of the time on the weekend when he is with us. But at daycare while he is playing with friends it's probably more like 40%.

Even if your kid goes on the potty 9 times in a row, that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't going to regress and go #10-14 all in the diaper...
    My kid's not in a diaper anymore. Put him in underwear day 1 of training and did nothing but dedicate that day to playing with him, telling him how big he is that he is keeping his undies dry, and telling him to tell me when he had to go. Poured juice down his throat to give him plentiful opportunities to pee and figure out the feeling in his body He peed through his undies on the floor 5 times that first day and hasn't had an accident since (including a 5 hour drive/weekend out of town this past weekend). We did it with all my kids, it's some ebook my wife bought. First two days are a bitch but we've never looked back with any of them.

We do hang onto diapers for overnight while they are sleeping for a bit longer.

Last edited by MOWJO8185; 06-22-2021 at 10:39 AM.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2021, 10:37 AM   #544
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Our almost-3yo is nearly fully potty trained. We had a good weekend of no accidents, and the daycare said we could start sending her in regular panties and just to include a change of clothes. Monday she had an accident at school, and another one not long after she came home. Hopefully she'll be ready soon.
    GSUdawg521 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2021, 11:44 AM   #545
    UNC41
    Gimme Dat

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    In 1.5 days? What does that mean, a good day and a half and you're done?

We can get ours using the potty 90-100% of the time on the weekend when he is with us. But at daycare while he is playing with friends it's probably more like 40%.

Even if your kid goes on the potty 9 times in a row, that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't going to regress and go #10-14 all in the diaper...
    My daughter turned 3 last week. We potty trained her last October over a weekend using the approach outlined in this book.

She had 2 accidents the first day and none the second day at home. The transition to daycare was really smooth, with only 1 or 2 accidents the first couple of weeks.

The book did say that 24-30 months is the prime age to potty train and it gets more difficult after that, so we were right in the sweet spot. Life with no diapers is incredible.

You white, then you Ben Affleck.
    UNC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2021, 12:00 PM   #546
    bfoll09

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
    Potty trained kid #3 in 1.5 days. We are a diaper free family for the first time since 2013, minus a brief window between kids 2 and 3.
    We are about to dedicate our entire weekend this upcoming weekend to potty training a stubborn 3 year old. Any tips?
    bfoll09 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2021, 12:09 PM   #547
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    I don't think "getting too attached to their cribs" is really a thing. keep them in the crib until it's dangerous to do so; i.e., they are climbing out. then go over to the toddler bed. they'll still feel comfortable and secure but they can get out on their own. My daughter stayed in her crib until she was 3, my son was climbing out at like 2 and a half.

I know that it is something that people do, but as with a lot of things in parenting, take a step back and think about what you are suggesting when you talk about reversing the door knobs--literally locking your child in its room. what if there is an emergency? it's not a thought any parent wants to ever think, but if I wasn't already completely against it, taking half a second to think how I'd feel if my child was locked in its room and there was a fire that the locked door prevented him or her from escaping....yeah it's just not a good idea IMO.

we used the stoplight alarm clocks and they worked very very well.
    We installed a lock on the top of the door and we just lock it during nap time and from 7 PM until we go to bed. We keep it unlocked when we sleep.

We tried not locking her in for months and she'd be out every 2 seconds. No matter what we did. Now she at least stays in her room. And with a little brother we don't want to worry about her barging into where he's sleeping and wake him up.

It takes her a while to fall asleep at night and instead of her bothering us every 2 seconds she stays in her room and reads/plays until she's tired. Still takes her forever to fall asleep and we have to go up there 2-4 times a night but it's way better than her getting out of the room and running all over the place waking up her brother.
    cazzie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2021, 12:17 PM   #548
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

hey man to each their own. "at least once we started locking her in, she stays in her room instead of bothering us" is just not something I will ever say about my children.
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2021, 12:20 PM   #549
    mandy18

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bfoll09 View Post
    We are about to dedicate our entire weekend this upcoming weekend to potty training a stubborn 3 year old. Any tips?
    My oldest couldn’t have been easier.
    We told him no more diapers, it’s time to wear underwear and he never looked back.

May have been a slight shock to us when his brother wasn’t even on the same scale of easiness.

Literally, the only thing that worked for me was sitting with him in his room while he didn’t wear clothes. We did not leave his room except to go to the bathroom (and to eat). It took 2 1/2 days, but then it finally sunk in.
    Prior to the no pants trick, we tried everything.
    mandy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2021, 12:21 PM   #550
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
    My kid's not in a diaper anymore. Put him in underwear day 1 of training and did nothing but dedicate that day to playing with him, telling him how big he is that he is keeping his undies dry, and telling him to tell me when he had to go. Poured juice down his throat to give him plentiful opportunities to pee and figure out the feeling in his body He peed through his undies on the floor 5 times that first day and hasn't had an accident since (including a 5 hour drive/weekend out of town this past weekend). We did it with all my kids, it's some ebook my wife bought. First two days are a bitch but we've never looked back with any of them.

We do hang onto diapers for overnight while they are sleeping for a bit longer.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UNC41 View Post
    My daughter turned 3 last week. We potty trained her last October over a weekend using the approach outlined in this book.

She had 2 accidents the first day and none the second day at home. The transition to daycare was really smooth, with only 1 or 2 accidents the first couple of weeks.

The book did say that 24-30 months is the prime age to potty train and it gets more difficult after that, so we were right in the sweet spot. Life with no diapers is incredible.

Thanks for these tips. We had read between 27 months and 30 months, so we started at 27.

He just hit 2.5 this week, and while he is ahead of a lot of his peers (and his 3 year old cousin), we would like to be done with diapers altogether, or at least down to just overnight.

We have a number of free weekends still in July, so we may try the underwear, soak, repeat approach. We tried him in underwear two weeks ago, and he simply wet them and didn't really comment on it until we asked and he said he peed. But we were hoping for a real reaction, like yuck I need to be changed, but he was happy just walking around soaked.

We'll try again, with more effort.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2021, 12:25 PM   #551
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    hey man to each their own. "at least once we started locking her in, she stays in her room instead of bothering us" is just not something I will ever say about my children.
    Imagine having that be the takeaway.

You're concern was the emergency. I addressed that. Glad to see it's now a different concern. You're stoplight bullshit way worked for your kids. "at least once we started the stop light she stays in her room instead of bothering us" is just not something I will ever say about my children.

Get out of here with the self righteousness. By that logic your kids can do whatever they want and you have to deal with it Everytime because otherwise anytime they act against your wishes is a bother.
    Old 06-22-2021, 12:27 PM   #552
    YouNeverKnow25

My Tour Central Stats

imagine the takeaway from what you say being literally what you said! what a country!
    Old 06-22-2021, 12:28 PM   #553
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    my kids also use the okay to wake alarm, it's great. however, they also get too smart for it eventually. they realize that it's just a light and they can get up whenever they want to. so we have to keep offering them rewards to stay in their room until the green light.
    Why offer them rewards? They bothering you too much?
    Old 06-22-2021, 12:29 PM   #554
    YouNeverKnow25

My Tour Central Stats

buddy...you are the one that said your kid was bothering you, try to avoid projecting. might have to put a lock on the outside of your door!
    Old 06-22-2021, 12:30 PM   #555
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

My Tour Central Stats

Nothing gots jollies in a jostle like telling others how to parent

NHL Thread Banner
    Old 06-22-2021, 12:32 PM   #556
    bradshaw06

Shows Seen: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Question for everyone, at what age could your kid wipe themselves?
    Old 06-22-2021, 12:34 PM   #557
    YouNeverKnow25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bradshaw06 View Post
    oh boy. still struggling on this one. I have a 6yo girl, she can wipe after a #1 just fine but a #2, not so much; she tries and does well enough most of the time, but fails often enough to require assistance. Would be interested to hear others' take on this.

my 4yo son isn't close on that front.
    Old 06-22-2021, 12:37 PM   #558
    bradshaw06

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    oh boy. still struggling on this one. I have a 6yo girl, she can wipe after a #1 just fine but a #2, not so much; she tries and does well enough most of the time, but fails often enough to require assistance. Would be interested to hear others' take on this.

my 4yo son isn't close on that front.
    Thank you. I wasnt sure where to even begin on that. Our 3 year old is fully trained, hasnt had an accident or anything, but wiping we still do. Have him lay down and do it. Its… something else
    Old 06-22-2021, 12:40 PM   #559
    YouNeverKnow25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thank you. I wasnt sure where to even begin on that. Our 3 year old is fully trained, hasnt had an accident or anything, but wiping we still do. Have him lay down and do it. Its… something else
    yeah our son sits backward on the toilet--at home thats....fine, I guess, but if we are out someplace, certainly less than ideal
    Old 06-22-2021, 12:41 PM   #560
    MOWJO8185

My Tour Central Stats

My 6 year old also wipes fine most of the time, but then every 3 weeks or so a poop-smeared pair of underwear will show up in the laundry.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2021, 12:50 PM   #561
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

My Tour Central Stats

We're slowly starting to figure out a game plan for potty training. He's 22 months, so we're not there yet. But he's intrigued by flushing the toilet and such.

NHL Thread Banner
    Old 06-22-2021, 01:09 PM   #562
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I see YNK brings his sanctimonious bullshit into literally every single thread these days
    Old 06-22-2021, 01:10 PM   #563
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't expect anytime soon with our 2.5 year old. I guess I had assumed by 4 that was something to shoot for, but really had no idea at all.

I simply belt out "assume the position!" and he grabs my legs for balance and fully bends over, so it makes it pretty easy at least. We used to try to wipe while he was up on the sink washing his hands, with very mixed results.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 06-22-2021, 01:12 PM   #564
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    yeah our son sits backward on the toilet--at home thats....fine, I guess, but if we are out someplace, certainly less than ideal

The A.C. Slater ^

https://media.balls.ie/uploads/2015/...042/Slater.jpg

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 06-22-2021, 01:15 PM   #565
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roose13 View Post
    We're slowly starting to figure out a game plan for potty training. He's 22 months, so we're not there yet. But he's intrigued by flushing the toilet and such.
    We had to put strap locks on the big heavy top lid on the back. He liked to flush, and see the water in the big reservoir actually go down and fill back up.

He would have dropped and broken that top lid eventually for sure if we didn't install strap locks on it.

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 06-22-2021, 01:20 PM   #566
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    We had to put strap locks on the big heavy top lid on the back. He liked to flush, and see the water in the big reservoir actually go down and fill back up.

He would have dropped and broken that top lid eventually for sure if we didn't install strap locks on it.
    Watch out, YNK is going to virtue signal you to the depths of hell for not letting your kid do whatever the fuck they want at all times
    Old 06-22-2021, 01:20 PM   #567
    bradshaw06

My Tour Central Stats

We bought this for our upstairs bathroom and has been amazing. He is just tall enough to be able to climb up safely, but not tall enough to stand and pee. I tried in our other bathroom, and well, aim was not something i thought would be so off

MAYFAIR 188SLOW 000 NextStep2 Toilet Seat with Built-In Potty Training Seat, Slow-Close, Removable that will Never Loosen, ELONGATED, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZQSHT16...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Old 06-22-2021, 01:31 PM   #568
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

As with most parenting things, there's thousands that recommend you do one thing and thousands that consider that thing literal murder. So just do the thing that is right for you and your partner. Unsolicited parenting advice is the fucking worst.
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2021, 01:34 PM   #569
    YouNeverKnow25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    Watch out, YNK is going to virtue signal you to the depths of hell for not letting your kid do whatever the fuck they want at all times
    not sure what your deal is today, but go ahead and get fucked.
    Old 06-22-2021, 01:41 PM   #570
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    not sure what your deal is today, but go ahead and get fucked.
    Fiesty!!