Share your unpopular DMB opinions. - Page 55 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-07-2015, 07:07 PM   #1621
wvufan2010
Evan

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

I absolutely love AFTW. I feel like the fact that songs like Mercy, BBN, and If Only have been played to death (not to mention Drunken Soldier has been become a song featuring the Ladies) have caused people to overlook what I think is an album that had some pretty awesome tracks.

Broken Things has good lyrics and great music (the Boyd solo reminds me of a mini version of some old Blue Water jams).

BBN is what it is lyrically, but Boyd and the horns sound awesome

Mercy is pretty much a snoozer, but Jeff's fills at the end reminds me of some of his stuff with the Flecktones

Rooftop is a fun song and has become one of my favorite tracks to hear live since they introduced the new breakdown. A lot of people seem to really dislike this song, but I will always be pumped to hear it at a show.

Snow Outside is possibly my favorite post-LWS DMB track (this and You Never Know are very close). The lyrics make me scratch my head, though, because it's clear to me from this song that Dave is still capable of writing good lyrics, but then he comes out and writes something like Be Yourself...but whatever.

And considering the motive for Drunken Soldier (basically a letter from a parent to a child) I like the lyrics and have really enjoyed the music ever since I heard this for the first time.

Sorry for a mini-album breakdown. I just feel like the album gets crapped on quite a bit, and while some songs aren't the best, I feel like there are some real gems on here as well.
wvufan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-08-2015, 09:07 AM   #1622
    bigeyedfish1979
    And in this moment.....

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Let you down is not a good song, I just can't get in to it.
    bigeyedfish1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2015, 09:48 AM   #1623
    cornnuts

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

the hate for jimi thing is insane. jimi is classic DMB, GREAT LYRICS, GREAT MELODIES, and GREAT MUSIC. have people forgotten that? easily a top 15 or 20 song. it's one of the only songs that has been really good across all eras and great for featuring multiple guests. i personally prefer the 95 versions to all others. but i enjoy recent versions as well and everything inbetween. the only released versions of jimi thing that i dont enjoy are the ones where the crowd sings, thats it.

if jimi thing only had 250-350 plays like BOWA and LLD instead of 10 billion, everyone would love it and want it at shows. which is completely insane and ridiculous. great song with consistently great jams over the years. rock on jimi thing, rock on. looking forward to most likely getting you at both tahoe and shoreline this year. with all the garbage songs they play so consistently i find it baffling that folks complain about a great song like jimi thing. with all the recent hype on the SPAC 4th of july show, i would literally take jimi thing over 17 of the songs played that night. lets go
    cornnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2015, 10:01 AM   #1624
    ForkInFork

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cornnuts View Post
    the hate for jimi thing is insane. jimi is classic DMB, GREAT LYRICS, GREAT MELODIES, and GREAT MUSIC. have people forgotten that? easily a top 15 or 20 song. it's one of the only songs that has been really good across all eras and great for featuring multiple guests. i personally prefer the 95 versions to all others. but i enjoy recent versions as well and everything inbetween. the only released versions of jimi thing that i dont enjoy are the ones where the crowd sings, thats it.

if jimi thing only had 250-350 plays like BOWA and LLD instead of 10 billion, everyone would love it and want it at shows. which is completely insane and ridiculous. great song with consistently great jams over the years. rock on jimi thing, rock on. looking forward to most likely getting you at both tahoe and shoreline this year. with all the garbage songs they play so consistently i find it baffling that folks complain about a great song like jimi thing. with all the recent hype on the SPAC 4th of july show, i would literally take jimi thing over 17 of the songs played that night. lets go
    Agree with almost all of this, but I think Sexy Mfer is tired and beaten, and the lenght was a bit too long as of late. They seem to have fixed both of those things, so it still is, and always has been, a +1 for me.

edit: disagree about the 4th show being overhyped. It was so much fun beginning to end.
    ForkInFork is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2015, 10:11 AM   #1625
    cornnuts

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ForkInFork View Post
    Agree with almost all of this, but I think Sexy Mfer is tired and beaten, and the lenght was a bit too long as of late. They seem to have fixed both of those things, so it still is, and always has been, a +1 for me.

edit: disagree about the 4th show being overhyped. It was so much fun beginning to end.
    my bad, didn't say 4th of july spactacular was overhyped - just pointing out that it has had a lot of recent hype around here. i'm sure it was awesome, i'm just saying i still would have preferred jimi thing over the majority of the songs played that night. speaking of spac, i'm glad they are playing jane in the acoustic sets now so that tim cant ruin it. heavy electric on jane and on busted stuff are absolutely awful among other songs. the first time i listened to busted stuff from that 2010 scranton show i couldn't help but laugh out load. pretty hilarious stuff compared to the 2000 busteds
    Old 07-08-2015, 10:19 AM   #1626
    cornnuts

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
    Live Trax 11 is a bottom 10 live trax for me. Despite the great setlist, there's barely any energy and the performances aren't good.

And oddly enough, it's one show after Live Trax 3 which is my favorite live trax
    yeah its surprisingly underwhelming but there is still some very good stuff in there. i dont think i'd go as far as calling it bottom 10 on my end. the stone outro is awesome from that show, one of my favorites. the #41 jam is really good in my opinion. LIOG is awesome. solid ants and rapunzel. pretty nice show from ROI overall tho i feel like. some of that performances do fall pretty flat tho like that bartender. whats up with that? speaking of flat performances, what the hell happened to crush and two step on LT16?
    Old 07-08-2015, 10:20 AM   #1627
    bjordan319
    Prompter Thread or bust

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I fuckin' love Jimi Thing... never understood the hate for it either. Yeah it's played a lot, but it's damn good.
    bjordan319 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2015, 01:35 PM   #1628
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

I agree and disagree about Jimi. It's been overplayed. I enjoy it as a song but I've it's in my top 3 songs played. The other two songs in there? Shake Me and You & Me. It has that stigma. I just like some variety in my shows. If Jimi got played every 4 or so shows I was at then it'd be cool, but for a long time it was every single show. That gets old.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2015, 01:56 PM   #1629
    space_raven
    crawling out the mud

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Say Goodbye (Crash) > Say Goodbye (Live)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb9howell View Post
    No that's my bad. I am completely fucking murdered hammered. I can barley see the screen. I go eat now.
    space_raven is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2015, 03:14 PM   #1630
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Horrible scatting and Sexy MF got really old, really fast. I don't think he's done the scat at all this year, and Sexy MF has been in 4/9 performances. So they're on the right track, but they just need to figure out a way to end the song without that shit.
    Old 07-08-2015, 03:35 PM   #1631
    NewAgedNerd

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mthawk07 View Post
    Horrible scatting and Sexy MF got really old, really fast. I don't think he's done the scat at all this year, and Sexy MF has been in 4/9 performances. So they're on the right track, but they just need to figure out a way to end the song without that shit.
    The winter 98 endings to Jimi Thing were perfect, just straight up abruptly end the song after Tim's solo and you're just about good to go.

Wouldn't be as great as seeing the song acoustic but it would be a marked improvement imo.
    NewAgedNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2015, 04:24 PM   #1632
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mthawk07 View Post
    Go acoustic, end with WWBOM.
    hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2015, 06:11 PM   #1633
    NoMas7

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I actually like the scats. I guess thats my unpopular opinion. Jimi has been overplayed but still is one of my favorites. Sexy Mofo needs to take a break but I always thought the scats were fun and brought the energy up. I do wish Dave would actually solo again though
    Old 07-08-2015, 06:51 PM   #1634
    wvufan2010
    Evan

Shows Seen: 34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmich176 View Post
    This x1000000
    wvufan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2015, 07:13 PM   #1635
    BAHHHTIWaC

My Tour Central Stats

Jimi Thing ->
    What Will Become of Me
    -----------------------------
    Pantala Naga Pampa ->
    Rapunzel

would be sweet to see that
    BAHHHTIWaC is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2015, 08:46 PM   #1636
    ForkInFork

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmich176 View Post
    Seriously, this is the biggest swing and a miss for the acoustic set. Its so obvious, but hasn't been done yet. I just don't understand why not.
    Old 07-08-2015, 08:52 PM   #1637
    bartender_man

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by space_raven View Post
    Say Goodbye (Crash) > Say Goodbye (Live)
    Both are great. There are some very good live performances of this song with a ton of emotion. See 2000
    Old 07-09-2015, 06:40 AM   #1638
    space_raven
    crawling out the mud

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartender_man View Post
    Both are great. There are some very good live performances of this song with a ton of emotion. See 2000
    I've heard some decent live versions over the years, just not a huge fan of Say Goodbye in general.

Quote:
    No that's my bad. I am completely fucking murdered hammered. I can barley see the screen. I go eat now.
    Old 07-09-2015, 07:24 AM   #1639
    twostepr41

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

The drum intro to Say Goodbye is too long.
    twostepr41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-09-2015, 07:33 AM   #1640
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

DMB are playing the longest shows in their career (Camden and SPAC both had three hours of song time alone), with most of the shows containing songs off the Big 3. Big Whiskey and AFTW are getting a combined 3-4 songs a show, if that....and people are absolutely bashing this tour. The shows I saw this summer are some of the best I've ever seen from this band, and I cannot wait until next summer
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-09-2015, 07:39 AM   #1641
    bowa36

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 View Post
    DMB are playing the longest shows in their career (Camden and SPAC both had three hours of song time alone), with most of the shows containing songs off the Big 3. Big Whiskey and AFTW are getting a combined 3-4 songs a show, if that....and people are absolutely bashing this tour. The shows I saw this summer are some of the best I've ever seen from this band, and I cannot wait until next summer

This tour has been real good. Far better than '14. Still, the LL keep showing up, which makes for some pretty awful runs.
    Old 07-09-2015, 07:40 AM   #1642
    space_raven
    crawling out the mud

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by twostepr41 View Post
    The drum intro to Say Goodbye is too long.
    I have 0 issue with the drum solo, live or studio. Studio, the song sounds so rich. Live, it doesn't pack the same punch. IMO, of course. It's one of a few songs that I prefer studio to live.

Quote:
    Old 07-09-2015, 07:44 AM   #1643
    bowa36

My Tour Central Stats

Sugar Will, BWBF, Help Myself

All top 20 DMB for me
    Old 07-09-2015, 07:46 AM   #1644
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bowa36 View Post
    This tour has been real good. Far better than '14. Still, the LL keep showing up, which makes for some pretty awful runs.
    I have no problems with the ladies...the whole spreading them out thing seems to make for better runs.
    Quote:
    Old 07-09-2015, 07:48 AM   #1645
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

My Tour Central Stats

5 shows this summer...shows 25-29....saw SEVENTEEN personal debuts.
    Quote:

Last edited by YankeesDMB41; 07-09-2015 at 07:50 AM.
    Old 07-09-2015, 07:53 AM   #1646
    ForkInFork

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by space_raven View Post
    I have 0 issue with the drum solo, live or studio. Studio, the song sounds so rich. Live, it doesn't pack the same punch. IMO, of course. It's one of a few songs that I prefer studio to live.
    wow, really? I know it sounds great studio, but Carter goes fucking bonkers before that live. One of my favorites of his solos.
    Old 07-09-2015, 08:02 AM   #1647
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I have no problems with the ladies...the whole spreading them out thing seems to make for better runs.
    I went to Burgettstown and loved it (in the minority), and saw them last night at Blossom and loved it. I am not a Lovely Ladies fan, but they were utilized fairly well last night. Granny, Save Me and Rooftop all work with them. In fact, the first full band Granny I heard was with the Ladies on Listener Supported. Nothing wrong with them on that. Save Me is a great tune and they actually add to the ending of that song and really fill it out. Rooftop doesn't lose anything by having them on it, so that one works for me.

I guess for me it's not so much that I don't like their singing, I just don't like the predictability they bring. After STJL last night I knew they had to be coming back. I also knew Be Yourself was scrapped the night before, so I knew that's what was coming. They work on Long Black Veil, which came right after that, and You and Me sounds better with them as they fill it out more. I don't hate Shake Me, and think it works as a set closer, but I kind of wish the Ladies stuck around and they went into Stay instead. Something about the way the were used last night just worked for me.

It's when you get them for the last 4-5 song run that becomes a drag.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-09-2015, 08:28 AM   #1648
    dontshootmydog
    KillHimHonorably

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    I went to Burgettstown and loved it (in the minority), and saw them last night at Blossom and loved it. I am not a Lovely Ladies fan, but they were utilized fairly well last night. Granny, Save Me and Rooftop all work with them. In fact, the first full band Granny I heard was with the Ladies on Listener Supported. Nothing wrong with them on that. Save Me is a great tune and they actually add to the ending of that song and really fill it out. Rooftop doesn't lose anything by having them on it, so that one works for me.

I guess for me it's not so much that I don't like their singing, I just don't like the predictability they bring. After STJL last night I knew they had to be coming back. I also knew Be Yourself was scrapped the night before, so I knew that's what was coming. They work on Long Black Veil, which came right after that, and You and Me sounds better with them as they fill it out more. I don't hate Shake Me, and think it works as a set closer, but I kind of wish the Ladies stuck around and they went into Stay instead. Something about the way the were used last night just worked for me.

It's when you get them for the last 4-5 song run that becomes a drag.

Agree mostly except Y&M with the ladies is horrible and I hate shake me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They [the lots] don't officially open until 2 hours before the show, but they have always opened before that, usually around 2:30 - 3:00
    dontshootmydog is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-09-2015, 08:32 AM   #1649
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bowa36 View Post
    Sugar Will, BWBF, Help Myself

All top 20 DMB for me
    Help Myself might be my absolute bottom.
    Old 07-09-2015, 08:37 AM   #1650
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    5 shows this summer...shows 25-29....saw SEVENTEEN personal debuts.
    That's awesome. I'm seeing 5 shows as well 28-32. Through 2 shows I've only got 3 personal debuts. I'd love to get 14 more over the next 3 shows. I don't see it happening, though.