Dogs Are The Damn Best - Page 37 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-15-2021, 06:21 AM   #1081
ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Dogs Are The Damn Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshookme View Post
just filled out an application to adopt this gal. Could use some good wishes

https://www.petfinder.com/dog/sunflo...e-of-ny-ny480/

anybody have any tips for a potential first-time dog owner? Never had a pet before, most worried about having to work 11 hour days 5 days/week. I am usually able to get home for lunch, I plan on doing that at least for the first few weeks/months.

Hope it works out for you Shook!
ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-15-2021, 06:27 AM   #1082
    nikkidmb

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

anybody have any tips for a potential first-time dog owner? Never had a pet before, most worried about having to work 11 hour days 5 days/week. I am usually able to get home for lunch, I plan on doing that at least for the first few weeks/months.
    good luck! Shes a cutie and needs some love!
    I agree, dog walker at least but daycare at best. Even if your lunch is an hour thats still 2 5 hour stretches give or take. If you can give her an area rather than just a crate that might help a bit.
    nikkidmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-15-2021, 06:28 AM   #1083
    nikkidmb

Shows Seen: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Also it is so awesome that you started this thread 4 years ago and are hopefully just getting a dog! Love that for you
    nikkidmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-15-2021, 06:35 AM   #1084
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

the fact that you started this thread makes this feel very complete. thats so rad.

love and attention. the two best ingredients.
    Useliteski is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-15-2021, 10:02 AM   #1085
    rmp207

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Best bet for long days is giving them a nice long walk before you head out the door. It lets them do their business a few times and burn up destructive energy. Keep their mind active and engaged it will keep them out of trouble.

Anything that can fit in their mouth they may chew and or swallow it’s best you kind of canvas your house for small stuff they might pick up. Stuff like floss,yarn,small socks things like that can do a ton of damage of swallowed and super expensive . Trust me I’ve been down that road before.

Find a good vet. I’ve been with the same vet for 15+ years. Most are great but you will find some who are more concerned about the money then the pet.

Enjoy it. I’ve had four rescues including my two current. It’s hard to imagine not having a dog at this point. Having one comes with some hardships especially when they get older but the good always out ways the bad. Ooo and don’t forget to socialize them. See what their comfort level is with other dogs which can vary between big dogs, small dogs and male or female. I’ve been pretty lucky and haven’t had many aggression issues outside of my wife’s first dog, she would threaten any dog that came close. She and my first husky were a challenge as she was extremely dominant and the only dog when I moved in with my now wife. That took a ton of work for her not to growl or lunge at him. Eventually she begrudgingly accepted him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rmp207 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-15-2021, 10:11 AM   #1086
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Do rescues come house trained?
    Old 05-15-2021, 10:17 AM   #1087
    rmp207

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 View Post
    Do rescues come house trained?

Haha some do. My last husky was great until she was in a room with a carpet then all bets were off. She could hold it all day but two minutes in a carpeted room and she would pee.

Old 05-15-2021, 10:18 AM   #1088
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmp207 View Post
    Best bet for long days is giving them a nice long walk before you head out the door. It lets them do their business a few times and burn up destructive energy. Keep their mind active and engaged it will keep them out of trouble.

Anything that can fit in their mouth they may chew and or swallow it’s best you kind of canvas your house for small stuff they might pick up. Stuff like floss,yarn,small socks things like that can do a ton of damage of swallowed and super expensive . Trust me I’ve been down that road before.

Find a good vet. I’ve been with the same vet for 15+ years. Most are great but you will find some who are more concerned about the money then the pet.

Enjoy it. I’ve had four rescues including my two current. It’s hard to imagine not having a dog at this point. Having one comes with some hardships especially when they get older but the good always out ways the bad. Ooo and don’t forget to socialize them. See what their comfort level is with other dogs which can vary between big dogs, small dogs and male or female. I’ve been pretty lucky and haven’t had many aggression issues outside of my wife’s first dog, she would threaten any dog that came close. She and my first husky were a challenge as she was extremely dominant and the only dog when I moved in with my now wife. That took a ton of work for her not to growl or lunge at him. Eventually she begrudgingly accepted him.

The things they will not only chew but swallow is just crazy! Twice we had to induce vomiting on Barkley for socks. Had a neighbor years ago who’s dog swallowed two whole trash bags (that was expensive!!). Coins are a big one and can be very harmful. There are lots of good lists online of things that are very harmful to dogs - plants, flowers, foods, and even random things you might not think of...definitely check them out.

And if you do end up crating your dog Sean, always take its collar off in the crate. It can get stuck and cause strangulation pretty easy. Good luck, man!

Edit: and fucking dryer sheets!

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!

Last edited by prdstmnky36; 05-15-2021 at 10:20 AM.
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-15-2021, 10:20 AM   #1089
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

I’ll keep my fingers crossed, Sean! What a sweet girl.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kev87lads View Post
    Go Kings Go.
    dmbetc is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-15-2021, 10:44 AM   #1090
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

My Tour Central Stats

My dog doesn’t really chew anything she just picks up my kids stuffed animals and moves them all around the house

Usually puts them all in a line

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...fefde3d9fc.jpg
    Old 05-15-2021, 10:56 AM   #1091
    rmp207

My Tour Central Stats

These are my two, the brown one is great until a large car car drives past us on a walk and he try’s to kill it haha he is a recent rescue so it’s a work in progress.The setter is wonderful all around. She’s deaf so training is a bit more difficult but she’s pretty smart.
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...f886775ab1.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...162ec1933a.jpg

Old 05-15-2021, 11:05 AM   #1092
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    These are my two, the brown one is great until a large car car drives past us on a walk and he try’s to kill it haha he is a recent rescue so it’s a work in progress.The setter is wonderful all around. She’s deaf so training is a bit more difficult but she’s pretty smart.
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...f886775ab1.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...162ec1933a.jpg

Now those are some cool looking pups
    Old 05-15-2021, 11:13 AM   #1093
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Now those are some cool looking pups
    co-signed

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-15-2021, 11:37 AM   #1094
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

My Tour Central Stats

omg i love everyones pups. similar to DMBSU, my dog will take her babies (what i call her stuffed animals) into bed with us and ill wake up surrounded in them sometimes.

dogs are the best.

this is mine from last summer tooling around the tall grass near our beach
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg IMG_0784.jpg (78.8 KB, 11 views)
    Old 05-15-2021, 11:54 AM   #1095
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Great info, thanks! I’m for sure aware of the stuff I have at floor level currently, and have been thinking of ways to relocate them. In particular i plan on making my den the “pup’s room”, hopefully I’d be able to put up a gate and leave her in there when I’m away but I currently have stuff on the floor there I don’t want her to get a hold of (floor standing shelving units with vinyl albums, etc).

I’ll definitely be checking out plenty of lists, the problem with a lot of the “helpful articles” are all written by McKenzie, the suburban mom, who just rambles and never really gives any insight or it’s all super common sense stuff so parsing through it all to find actual helpful info is time consuming.

Should I be finding a vet ahead of time? A lot of the applications for rescues are asking if I already have a vet which... obviously I don’t. I figured I’d find a vet once I have a dog. Am I doing it backward?
    Old 05-15-2021, 12:21 PM   #1096
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

My Tour Central Stats

We used a breeder so I’m not sure how different it is, we had to send the breeder the vet stuff and her first puppy check up with a few days though.

The breeder still checks in from time to time.
    Old 05-15-2021, 12:22 PM   #1097
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Useliteski View Post
    omg i love everyones pups. similar to DMBSU, my dog will take her babies (what i call her stuffed animals) into bed with us and ill wake up surrounded in them sometimes.

dogs are the best.

this is mine from last summer tooling around the tall grass near our beach

Fun! I can’t wait to bring our dog to the beach, but unlike most golden doodles she is not a fan of water
    Old 05-15-2021, 12:47 PM   #1098
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    We used a breeder so I’m not sure how different it is, we had to send the breeder the vet stuff and her first puppy check up with a few days though.

The breeder still checks in from time to time.

Yeah the shelter i applied to said they require a first checkup within a set time limit (a few days? A week? I forget)

Just don’t know if I should be finding a vet NOW. If I should be, do I call them? Have to set up info or whatever? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Old 05-15-2021, 01:27 PM   #1099
    rmp207

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah the shelter i applied to said they require a first checkup within a set time limit (a few days? A week? I forget)

Just don’t know if I should be finding a vet NOW. If I should be, do I call them? Have to set up info or whatever? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would look at review and ask some people you know who they use. You will probably get a range of opinions between personal rec’s and google etc you should have a good idea of how they are. You can always switch if they suck. Just one of those things you can look at when you have down time. Once you pick one I would just call and say I plan on adopting and just need a check up app. That way it’s out of the way.

Old 05-15-2021, 01:42 PM   #1100
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I would look at review and ask some people you know who they use. You will probably get a range of opinions between personal rec’s and google etc you should have a good idea of how they are. You can always switch if they suck. Just one of those things you can look at when you have down time. Once you pick one I would just call and say I plan on adopting and just need a check up app. That way it’s out of the way.

Awesome, I'll take a look this weekend and see what I can find. Should be plenty in my area.
    Old 05-17-2021, 10:44 AM   #1101
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

https://www.tiktok.com/@jaimepayne7/...90528415255814
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2021, 11:31 AM   #1102
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    This was a good use of the last 10mins.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2021, 04:10 PM   #1103
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

She's now listed as Adoption Pending, but I haven't been contacted

Getting sad vibes. She's such a freaking sweetheart.
    Old 05-17-2021, 04:36 PM   #1104
    rmp207

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Sorry to hear that I’ve had that happen twice its always a bummer. This is who I adopted my Aussie from. They have it split into different adaption areas but you can a adopt from any you just need to do a meet up.

http://www.ns4ar.org/dogs-midatlantic.html

This is where I got my setter from. They do a transport thing where they do a car relay from one person to the next in a day or two if they need to be moved to a different state. I’ve actually helped in some of the transports it’s pretty cool.

https://esrescue.org

Old 05-17-2021, 05:38 PM   #1105
    laura22

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

nooooo sorry!

don’t worry. there are so many other dogs out there needing a home

for what it’s worth, I rescued reggie through diamond rescue. i also referred a friend and he was able to rescue from them as well. take a look at their “dogs for adoption” list, I would be more than happy to text the owner and give her a heads up about your application. that’s what I did for my friend #bigshot

http://www.diamonddogsrescueinc.com/available-dogs.html

similar to rmp’s experience, they had a volunteer drive Reggie and Eddie up here to MA from NC

Last edited by laura22; 05-17-2021 at 05:40 PM.
    laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2021, 05:48 PM   #1106
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laura22 View Post
    nooooo sorry!

for what it’s worth, I rescued reggie through diamond rescue. i also referred a friend and he was able to rescue from them as well. take a look at their “dogs for adoption” list, I would be more than happy to text the owner and give her a heads up about your application. that’s what I did for my friend #bigshot

similar to rmp’s experience, they had a volunteer drive Reggie and Eddie up here to MA from NC

Holy shittttttt Amelia is a fucking cutie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Old 05-17-2021, 06:04 PM   #1107
    jcc522
    Take Warning

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Holy shittttttt Amelia is a fucking cutie.

Omg get that dog now
    Old 05-17-2021, 06:30 PM   #1108
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laura22 View Post
    nooooo sorry!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcc522 View Post
    Omg get that dog now

I just submitted an application. If I have to drive to New Jersey to pick her up, if they’re able to transport that works too.

She is adorable.

Old 05-17-2021, 06:41 PM   #1109
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Fun! I can’t wait to bring our dog to the beach, but unlike most golden doodles she is not a fan of water
    maybe some shallow water for her to putter around in and splash a bit?
    yeah mine is OBSESSED, like runs to the water and jumps in.
    Old 05-17-2021, 06:46 PM   #1110
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Useliteski View Post
    maybe some shallow water for her to putter around in and splash a bit?

yeah mine is OBSESSED, like runs to the water and jumps in.

We have a doggy pool that my kid will get in and sometimes be able to get Lady in and she just kind of stands there looking sad lol.

She hides under the play set when it’s raining, she’s an odd duck

But yeah I think the beach might work since she can control the situation a bit bette r