Rate the Album - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > Come Tomorrow

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
View Poll Results: Rate Come Tomorrow
1 9 1.68%
2 13 2.43%
3 18 3.36%
4 38 7.10%
5 45 8.41%
6 82 15.33%
7 162 30.28%
8 125 23.36%
9 34 6.36%
10 9 1.68%
Voters: 535. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2018, 01:10 AM   #31
joshg

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Rate the Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroke9 View Post
I gave it a 4, disappointed with the new album. I feel a lot of the songs are going to be better with Tim & Dave then the ful band. I feel many of the slow songs will becoming bathroom break songs, because they don't have the strength of songs like (all back you up, typical situation or pay for what you get.) Very somber, melodic and chill album this album gives me the impression it's could be their last. The final song when I'm weary feels like a bitter sweet end to the band. I feel the album lacked quality lyrics and without Carter other instruments kinda felt cheesy like Dave was playing a solo album with computer filled instruments. I would rate this album higher had it been a solo project, but since the band had 5 years since the last album and it's lack of creativity using songs played over a decade ago just seemed to be lazy album fillers as well, as out of place on the album. I hate to say it but this would be rated as the lowest of all albums the band has put out to date.
You're not wrong. To me, this album is what made me fall in love with UTTAD and this band in general. To get away from the type of music that makes up Come Tomorrow.

Last edited by joshg; 06-07-2018 at 01:13 AM.
joshg is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-07-2018, 03:41 AM   #32
    ebrread003

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

here’s my review upon first listen straight thru...

1. this song is fine, it really doesn’t find and footing until the last third but luckily it does!
    2. honestly just didn’t get into this one, definitely a weird choice for track #2. i agree with other who say it would have been been cut in half (or more) and used as a segue...
    3. didn’t like how it started but those strings saved the frickin song. really beautiful. (this acoustic/solo opening becomes consistent through the album)
    4. after listening to this 10+ times pre-album launch, I really appreciated this song on this listen. it is so vulnerable (which this album, I’d say, is easily his most vulnerable in terms of going out on limbs and trying new things)
    5. she. f$&@ing killer. so happy i got to see it live but actually hearing it like this was awesome. the ending leads us into the vibe someone gets at a live show, which is why i understand the transition to live into for IOY. wanted to replay this one.
    6. fell really flat for me... can’t believe i’m saying that... hopefully i’ll find interest with more listens.
    7. i dug this. eerie sound, but still playful and very different. there were parts i love from it and parts i lost interest.
    8. surprisingly the song, even though i listened to it 10+ times prior, it sticks out as the best song. yep... well done dave and co.
    9. definitely cool with this, love how it fades quieter and cuts, leaves you wanting more. another peak into their live show.
    10. again, this song was fine. very nice lyrics. happy song.
    11. lyrically, this one took the most risk i think, in terms of... what the f$&@ are you singing about dave!? i couldn’t get past the sexual reference, but my previously younger, more innocent mind would have been able to enjoy this unique tune and not think of that. i’m excited for more listens. really wrapped up nicely if i remember correctly.
    12. so funky. so happy i heard this live too. really want to see a steel drummer play this with them live and just go ham.
    13. nice song, but felt very weak. as weak as IOY? in a different way... really missed the mark for me. will see how that interpretation evolves over time...
    14. this is the bow that wraps this album of vulnerability up. bon iver-ish? i don’t care. why i will respect this album is because it is a man and his guitar with an amazing surrounding band (who don’t really get to shine too much, but their creativity is felt). and in this day and age, who is a true musician? who can play instruments instead of computer? who can put their voice on wax and not use filters? thanks for doing that dave. (ps-about that vinyl comment, i have great faith that the compressed version i listened to were not doing the songs justice and that all of the songs i didn’t get into, i would enjoy much more listening to them uncompressed).
    Old 06-07-2018, 04:09 AM   #33
    SmoothD41
    Hoosiers

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

After first listen, it's a 7 for me.

SmoothD41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 04:56 AM   #34
    dmbbearcat

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

It's a soft 4. Which was also my nickname in college, unfortunately.
    dmbbearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 05:55 AM   #35
    Decibert
    no

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

First listen of someone who just likes to enjoy songs without Ant-level resentment. Lots of variety in the feel of the tracks, a much more pleasant quality to the sound than BW (Shake Me with the acoustics of a tin can) and as a selection of songs it blows AFTW out of the water. For the first part. I was feeling a solid 8 having already had time to warm to She and TGIY (consider me a fan of the live versions) and hearing them in the album context for the first time. Dropping the instantly forgettable Here On Out would have allowed the better songs more breathing room, jams or solos, or even a slower buildup for Can't Stop. Come on Come on sounds like something correctly left off of Some Devil and again those 4 minutes could have been spent on transforming a song like BBB into something more impressive.

It's hard not to feel like that is what should have happened: The first part up to the bkbkbk intermezzo is full of great riffs, catchy choruses and carefully arranged complexity, rock, jazz, funk and pop cheese with a hint of Africa. But then BBB is too short to grab you and Do You Remember is wedged between Come On Come On and Come Tomorrow, which it kills the flow. The joy of the first half just makes this section sound like generic radio rock balladry. There have been one or two songs like that on recent albums, AFTW suffers from it and You & Me takes the cheese cake, so it's nothing new, but it's a letdown.

I feel I will listen to this more often than AFTW, Stand Up and possibly Everyday, that the songs are more interesting and diverse and that there is simply more going on. Some of those times I will pretend the album runs out at BBB making it an easy 8, but what was released is a 7, and it feels unfair to the better tracks to say. This should have been a 9. Swapping in Sugar Will and Blackjack before When I'm Weary would turn this album into a party, but I would have been happy with just a section of soloing on some of the tracks screaming for an extended jam. Where this is a real departure is that there is so little room for showing off of individual musicianship.

Last edited by Decibert; 06-07-2018 at 05:59 AM.
    Decibert is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 07:16 AM   #36
    dmbwildcat
    Love You Oh So Well

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

I'm really disappointed. I think most of the songs are average at best...its like Everyday 2.0 but worse. Most of these songs would have been fine for a Dave solo record but not a "full band" release. I think Cant Stop, That Girl is You, When I'm Weary, should have NEVER made a record. Bkdkd or whatever it is, is not a song. I mean the jam is fine, but 27 seconds on a record, stop playing with me. Its obviously from Be Yourself, and that song is hideous. Samurai Cop, Come Tomorrow, Here on Out, Again and Again are average at best. They are fine, but not remarkable in ANYWAY. The same could just about be said from VA in the rain, but I think its atleast a little more creative. I do like Black and Blue Bird, best song IMO, and its not close. The instrumentation is great and the lyrics are "abstract Dave" at his near best. There is not babbling about a pretty girl, or kids, or just other random catch phrases. There is an actual melody, which is pretty rare on this album. Come on Come on is nice too, the guitar is great, but the lyrics are pretty trite. I think She is pretty good. All in all, this one is basically a waste for me. We waited 6 years for this!?!? No one but Lillywhite should EVER produce this band. UTTAD, CRASH, BTCS, LILLYWHITE SESSIONS, AFTW, are all FAR SUPERIOR to Everyday, Stand Up, Big Whiskey, and Come Tomorrow. Whats the running theme here? Lillywhite!!!!! I've been a fan since 94 and have seen 48 shows since 1996. I was trading tapes when I was in 10th grade, I saw the first 7 shows of the 2000 (Lillywhite Sessons) Tour. I've been around
    a long time and grew up with this band. It is so hard for me to know what this band once was both live and in studio to what they are now. I know that Leroi passing was monumental and of course with Boyd gone now the band is a shell of what it once was. I guess I should be happy with new music, but I didn't enjoy Jordan with the Wizards and I don't enjoy DMB without Roi and Boyd. The musical interplay is what hooked me, and its basically gone. The DMB I love didn't need an electric guitar, a trumpet, or video screens. The just needed soft blue and purple lights and their instruments, tickets were $40 and the memories priceless. I know things change and the fact that Im 37 and not 20 obviously changes how I feel or how excited I get over new music.

Maybe my memories are just too good and nothing will ever do them justice. I named my son Carter for cryin out loud! I will always love this band, my life would have been so less enjoyable without them, and for that Im thankful. Maybe in the music industry its easy to get bored with the sound that made you famous and people always want to reinvent themselves, I guess Im just a prisoner of my own nostalgia.

Look at my avatar, quite possibly the most perfect baby ever!
    dmbwildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 07:31 AM   #37
    Todd308

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

As much as I wanted to hate it, I kinda like it... don't love it... but a solid like.
    Old 06-07-2018, 07:34 AM   #38
    CatchThePhoenix

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

It's a solid 7.
    Old 06-07-2018, 07:37 AM   #39
    DMBCardinal

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I gave it an 8. Good stuff, especially from Dave, Carter, and Fonz.
    DMBCardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 07:39 AM   #40
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

After a few listens I gave it a 4. It's the child of Some Devil and Stand Up.
    Old 06-07-2018, 07:39 AM   #41
    sheldonlevene
    Mr. 1k

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbbearcat View Post
    It's a soft 4. Which was also my nickname in college, unfortunately.
    Blistering honesty.
    sheldonlevene is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 07:49 AM   #42
    bowa36

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by earl View Post
    Way to early to rate this album. You have to let these things simmer.

You don't rate sex until after its over right? Not immediately after you get their clothes off.
    Yeah, no. Listened to it a few times. Forgettable album. Will get about as much play as Stand Up for me.
    Old 06-07-2018, 08:15 AM   #43
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Definitely a 4. Ugh...

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 08:30 AM   #44
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

If i were to give a specific id say around 6.5-6.75, so I rounded up and voted 7.

Will be interested to see how this ages on me. I felt about the same about AFTW at the time it was released and thats probably more of a 5 for me now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 08:31 AM   #45
    bowa36

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
    Definitely a 4. Ugh...
    So disappointing
    Old 06-07-2018, 08:31 AM   #46
    PhillySpecial
    Estimated Prophet

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smb41 View Post
    Solid 7. After first listen:

BTCS
    Crash
    UTTAD
    BS
    BWGGK
    CT
    AFTW
    Everyday
    SU

PhillySpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 08:49 AM   #47
    The2SteppingPig

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

BTCS
    Crash
    UTTAD
    LWs
    BS
    BWGGK
    AFTW
    CT
    ED
    SU

Don't see this changing either.
    Old 06-07-2018, 08:53 AM   #48
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

My Tour Central Stats

Crash
    BTCS
    UTTAD
    BS
    AFTW
    CT
    ED
    BW
    SU

Old 06-07-2018, 08:58 AM   #49
    SmoothD41
    Hoosiers

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

btcs
    uttad
    c
    bs
    ct
    bw
    e
    aftw
    su

SmoothD41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 09:01 AM   #50
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by antsmarching777 View Post
    After a few listens of the new album, my initial reaction:

What a tremendous step back in the quality of lyrics.
    It feels more like a Dave solo album than a DMB album.
    Lacks any notable/memorable contributions from the horns.
    Some really cheesy moments musically, lyrically, and with the production.

If this is all they have left to offer after 6 years, I sincerely hope they hang it up. It's gonna be a 4 for me.

1) Before These Crowded Streets
    2) Under The Table and Dreaming
    3) Crash
    4) Busted Stuff
    5) Away From The World
    6) Everyday
    7) Big Whiskey & The GrooGrux King
    8) Come Tomorrow
    9) Stand Up
    Perfect post.
    Old 06-07-2018, 09:06 AM   #51
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Crash
    BTCS
    UTTAD
    BS
    AFTW
    CT
    ED
    BW
    SU
    I could be convinced that ED is better than CT, but I still really dislike ED due to the circumstances surrounding it.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:06 AM   #52
    RiotAct

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Right now my album rankings would be:

Crash
    BTCS
    UTTAD
    Busted Stuff
    Some Devil
    Everyday
    Big Whiskey
    Come Tomorrow
    AFTW
    Stand Up

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmoothD41 View Post
    btcs
    uttad
    c
    bs
    ct
    bw
    e
    aftw
    su
    Did you really abbreviate Crash and Everyday??? hahahaha

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 09:09 AM   #53
    dmbbearcat

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Crash
    UTTAD
    BTCS
    tLWS
    AFTW
    Busted Stuff
    Everyday
    Big Whiskey
    Come Tomorrow
    Stand Up
    dmbbearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 09:09 AM   #54
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

7 upon first listen. Gotta let it marinate, I loved AFTW at first too and now I think its a collective pile of shit. I actually liked all the songs on this one straight away though live. Hearing AFTW songs live took some time to grow on me, and they all faded fast. Man that album ended up being a huge let down, more so than SU and ED.
    Bluewater21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 09:11 AM   #55
    RiotAct

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I could be convinced that ED is better than CT, but I still really dislike ED due to the circumstances surrounding it.
    in my mind, Everyday has four really good songs (What You Are, Fool To Think, So Right, and the title track), while Come Tomorrow really only has three (Again and Again, Samurai Cop, and IOY -- which they friggin butchered completely in the studio but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt because it's really good live).

But more importantly, Everyday has less cringe-worthy songs that CT. The only one that I'd really consider being part of that bucket is Angel.

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #56
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
    in my mind, Everyday has four really good songs (What You Are, Fool To Think, So Right, and the title track), while Come Tomorrow really only has three (Again and Again, Samurai Cop, and IOY -- which they friggin butchered completely in the studio but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt because it's really good live).

But more importantly, Everyday has less cringe-worthy songs that CT. The only one that I'd really consider being part of that bucket is Angel.
    I agree with this post and it's why I can be convinced it's better. That said, that bitter taste from what happened all those years ago still rings fresh for me. It's been 17 years, but what a fucking slap in the face that was and that will always hang over ED for me.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:22 AM   #57
    SyracuseFan
    American Baby Intro

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by riotact View Post
    right now my album rankings would be:

Did you really abbreviate crash and everyday??? Hahahaha
    hahahaha
    SyracuseFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2018, 09:25 AM   #58
    nickel78

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

cant seem to find where to get a listen to rate it. can anyone help with that?
    Old 06-07-2018, 10:24 AM   #59
    fan42days
    08.26.06 mother bitches

My Tour Central Stats

Btcs
    uttad
    crash
    bs
    aftw