**The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread** - Page 670 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-08-2019, 07:23 AM   #20071
dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

I would take a screencap of the shipping policies as soon as possible, I'm sure Discogs will step in if you can prove the seller pulled the old switcheroo on you.

45 Euros doesn't seem out of the ordinary for international shipping, I had to send a record to NZ recently and even USPS quote was US$50 or so. But you quote something you either stick to it or explain your mistake to the buyer and offer cancellation with no qualms, shouldn't be you having to chase down the mistake!

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #20072
    mcwyffe
    MattsMarching #006

Shows Seen: 39

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone else pick up the soundgarden package because hey are fiscally irresponsible?
    mcwyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-08-2019, 09:57 AM   #20073
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    I would take a screencap of the shipping policies as soon as possible, I'm sure Discogs will step in if you can prove the seller pulled the old switcheroo on you.

45 Euros doesn't seem out of the ordinary for international shipping, I had to send a record to NZ recently and even USPS quote was US$50 or so. But you quote something you either stick to it or explain your mistake to the buyer and offer cancellation with no qualms, shouldn't be you having to chase down the mistake!
    So I heard back from the seller, he first sent me:

"I apologise for that. I was not sure about the cost and just checked what other sellers said that it costs. You are absolutely right. I am checking the cost at my post office and I will let you know."

Then a bit later:

"Hi,
    I've just checked the shipping price at the post office and they have given me the following prices:

Under 1kg 21,40 euros
    Over 1kg 37,50 euros

The record weighs 868 grams. The problem comes with the packaging, since it exceeds the 1 Kg with it. It is the same packaging that Amazon uses to make sure that the record doesn't get damaged.

Besides you have to add 4,30 euros to those prices if you wish the tracking number.

It is up to you now. Let me know your decision as soon as possible so that I can send the paypal order.

Thanks"

So, now I am wondering if I should push for the $18 since that's what it said in the original listing, or just pay the $37.50...

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-09-2019, 06:45 AM   #20074
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Saturday morning record spins (Moon Taxi - Let the Record Play), donuts and a good book (Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers"); does it get better than this?
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-09-2019, 06:51 AM   #20075
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Saturday morning record spins (Moon Taxi - Let the Record Play), donuts and a good book (Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers"); does it get better than this?
    How does the Moon Taxi record sound? I saw them at the Gorge last year and loved their sound, but was hesitant to pick up their album on vinyl vs just streaming it.

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-09-2019, 10:20 AM   #20076
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcwyffe View Post
    Anyone else pick up the soundgarden package because hey are fiscally irresponsible?
    If I was fiscally irresponsible I'd seek out the German release of Superunknown, from @ 2003; it's the only one cut from tape and from all accounts sounds fucking fab.
    Old 03-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #20077
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    How does the Moon Taxi record sound? I saw them at the Gorge last year and loved their sound, but was hesitant to pick up their album on vinyl vs just streaming it.
    I got it for like $11 on Amazon so I wasn't too upset. But you're probably just fine streaming it.
    Old 03-11-2019, 04:27 PM   #20078
    magnumdan
    slow but speeding

Shows Seen: 180

DMB Hub Stubs: 33

My Tour Central Stats

So I think I know the answer but I’m going to ask anyway. For my birthday my wife got me the MoFi American Beauty and Weezer Blue Album. My question is once MoFi sells out of an album is it gone for good or do they do restocks? I saw they did Dire Straits Brothers in Arms and the vinyl is sold out.
    firedncr4136 #40

Last edited by magnumdan; 03-11-2019 at 04:28 PM.
    magnumdan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-11-2019, 06:33 PM   #20079
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quite certain presses are limited to a certain quantity and then that’s it. I was putting off buying the cars debut album and when I look today I notice it’s sold out.

I’ve made 2 dumb decisions this past week
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-12-2019, 07:19 AM   #20080
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Any Motion City Soundtrack fans out there?

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/28516395

This has long been out of press and goes for a TON on secondary markets.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:54 AM   #20081
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by magnumdan View Post
    So I think I know the answer but I’m going to ask anyway. For my birthday my wife got me the MoFi American Beauty and Weezer Blue Album. My question is once MoFi sells out of an album is it gone for good or do they do restocks? I saw they did Dire Straits Brothers in Arms and the vinyl is sold out.
    I think Elusive Disc has copies of the MoFi Brothers In Arms (though IMO, the single disc Bernie Grundman version has to be really tough to beat...)

Old 03-12-2019, 08:35 AM   #20082
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Problem with the single BIA LPs is they aren't the full versions of the songs. Why Worry is just not the same when you shorten the ending by over three minutes.

Which one did Bernie do? I'm pretty sure the one that came in the recent box sets is digitally mastered by Bob Ludwig and then Bernie cut the lacquers although that's the full length 2LP version. The Stan Ricker 2LP 1/2 speed pressed/plated at RTI is supposed to be good also. Bernie mastered the first four albums AAA whereas Bob mastered BIA and On Every Street.
    Old 03-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #20083
    snake911

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by magnumdan View Post
    Just get the CD. It was a very early album to be recorded digitally, and 16/44 is the best it will ever be. You can probably find one in a used bin for $1. There is some argument to be made that the DAC used to create the master is of better quality than the DAC on your home CD player, but how much difference is that going to make really?
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-12-2019, 09:52 AM   #20084
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    Problem with the single BIA LPs is they aren't the full versions of the songs. Why Worry is just not the same when you shorten the ending by over three minutes.

Which one did Bernie do? I'm pretty sure the one that came in the recent box sets is digitally mastered by Bob Ludwig and then Bernie cut the lacquers although that's the full length 2LP version. The Stan Ricker 2LP 1/2 speed pressed/plated at RTI is supposed to be good also. Bernie mastered the first four albums AAA whereas Bob mastered BIA and On Every Street.
    That's right, I forget only the first 4 were AAA (those are my favorite, Brothers In Arms is not a go to DS album for me and I've actually never heard On Every Street.)

It looks like there are 2-LP, 45 RPM versions of the S/T and Love Over Gold coming from MoFi. I'd really like to check one out, but I can't imagine that they'll be THAT much better than the Bellman/Grundman AAA cuts that we already talk about so much in here. I might pre-order the S/T album as that is the only one of the first 4 I don't have the reissue of, I just have an original copy.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:47 AM   #20085
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
    That's right, I forget only the first 4 were AAA (those are my favorite, Brothers In Arms is not a go to DS album for me and I've actually never heard On Every Street.)

It looks like there are 2-LP, 45 RPM versions of the S/T and Love Over Gold coming from MoFi. I'd really like to check one out, but I can't imagine that they'll be THAT much better than the Bellman/Grundman AAA cuts that we already talk about so much in here. I might pre-order the S/T album as that is the only one of the first 4 I don't have the reissue of, I just have an original copy.
    Yeah I am probably going to order either S/T or Communique to compare to the Bernie cuts.

I might consider the analogue > DSD SACD release for Love Over Gold, but there's no way I'm picking up the 45rpm vinyl as Telegraph Road is 140% longer than optimal side times and 116% over recommended max times/side according to RTI's FAQs. I'm sure it'll sound good still but man, the Bernie cuts are so good.

Lots of BIA sounds dated to me, not just how much more sterile it is from the production moreso than it being a 16/44.1 digital recording but just the songwriting overall, but Why Worry and The Man's Too Strong have really good surround mixes so usually I'll stream one of those via my PC using Plex from 5.1 24/96 FLAC files.

Although the source material is not 24/96, Chuck Ainlay explains the process for the 20th anniversary here -

High-Resolution Mixing in 5.1 — the Chuck Ainlay Way ~ Part One
    http://web.archive.org/web/200904131...in_arms_01.asp

Part Two - Preserving the Original Intent... DVD-Audio or SACD?
    http://web.archive.org/web/200812300...in_arms_02.asp

Both articles are very informative and worthwhile reads.

Last edited by dobyblue; 03-12-2019 at 10:52 AM.
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #20086
    snake911

My Tour Central Stats

BIA was a prefect album for its time, but I think that also leads to it sounding a little dated as time goes by. Like the main riff guitar tone in Money for Nothing, that's not a "timeless sound" vs Sultans of Swing which could be brand new yesterday. The Wall is the same for me, as the years go by it always feels more dated than DSOTM or WYWH. The Wall is fantastic, but I definitely feel it's age.
    Old 03-12-2019, 12:37 PM   #20087
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snake911 View Post
    BIA was a prefect album for its time, but I think that also leads to it sounding a little dated as time goes by. Like the main riff guitar tone in Money for Nothing, that's not a "timeless sound" vs Sultans of Swing which could be brand new yesterday. The Wall is the same for me, as the years go by it always feels more dated than DSOTM or WYWH. The Wall is fantastic, but I definitely feel it's age.
    Totally agree. BIA screams "80's album" to me whereas the first 4 albums are way more timeless sounding. It's that processed guitar tone and the canned drum sound.

Also agree on The Wall, of the 'classic' PF era (Meddle through The Wall for me) it's the album I go back to the least by far. (Animals is my favorite.)

Old 03-12-2019, 01:39 PM   #20088
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

I mentioned a page or two ago that I'm giving my wife's cousin one of my old turntable to for his birthday/high school graduation. I'm gonna go to the record store this weekend to grab a few albums for him as well. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out some classic albums (that won't cost too much) to get him.

I know he likes Ed Sheeran and Avett Brothers a lot. I was thinking maybe some Elton John, James Taylor, Billy Joel, etc. stuff.
    Old 03-12-2019, 01:44 PM   #20089
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Picked up a genesis trick of the tail mofi on Discogs. It’s out for delivery. So pumped
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-12-2019, 01:56 PM   #20090
    TimHonks

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    I mentioned a page or two ago that I'm giving my wife's cousin one of my old turntable to for his birthday/high school graduation. I'm gonna go to the record store this weekend to grab a few albums for him as well. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out some classic albums (that won't cost too much) to get him.

I know he likes Ed Sheeran and Avett Brothers a lot. I was thinking maybe some Elton John, James Taylor, Billy Joel, etc. stuff.
    I recently got a my first record player and just started a collection. Van Morrison - Moondance and Fleetwood Mac - Rumours are must own classic albums for me. Both sound great and people always want to hear them. Steely Dan - Aja gets a lot of play from me as well. I got a used version that sounds great.

Abbey Road, DSOTM, IV, Eat a Peach, and Legend were some of my other starter records that I considered classic albums.

I recently got Dire Straits - Communique because of this thread and it's become one of my favorites to put on. Starts off sounding so good.

Can't go wrong with Elton John, JT, BJ, etc.
    TimHonks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-12-2019, 02:10 PM   #20091
    AJF_41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimHonks View Post

I recently got Dire Straits - Communique because of this thread and it's become one of my favorites to put on. Starts off sounding so good.

picked this up a few weeks ago

all dire straits albums sound fantastic to me

brother in arms is a banger

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-13-2019, 06:52 AM   #20092
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimHonks View Post
    I recently got a my first record player and just started a collection. Van Morrison - Moondance and Fleetwood Mac - Rumours are must own classic albums for me. Both sound great and people always want to hear them. Steely Dan - Aja gets a lot of play from me as well. I got a used version that sounds great.

Abbey Road, DSOTM, IV, Eat a Peach, and Legend were some of my other starter records that I considered classic albums.

Can't go wrong with Elton John, JT, BJ, etc.
    Really good suggestions - thanks!
    Old 03-13-2019, 08:03 AM   #20093
    magnumdan
    slow but speeding

Shows Seen: 180

DMB Hub Stubs: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Damn, thanks for all the responses. I’ll poke around and pick up the cd too. I currently don’t have a CD player for my setup and need to start looking for one.
    firedncr4136 #40
    magnumdan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-14-2019, 09:18 AM   #20094
    s0628711

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Hoping someone here can help me troubleshoot. I recently moved and am setting up my turntable/receiver/speakers. I know this setup works as I had it in my old place but took it apart six months ago and am just now trying to set it up.

I have a TEAC turntable, which I run to the input of a PYLE preamp. I then have a set of red white audio cables that I run from the preamp output to the SAT/CATV audio IN. I have a pair of Klipsch speakers running from the receiver, but I’m not having success. Am I literally crossing any wires here? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    s0628711 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-14-2019, 09:35 AM   #20095
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by s0628711 View Post
    Hoping someone here can help me troubleshoot. I recently moved and am setting up my turntable/receiver/speakers. I know this setup works as I had it in my old place but took it apart six months ago and am just now trying to set it up.

I have a TEAC turntable, which I run to the input of a PYLE preamp. I then have a set of red white audio cables that I run from the preamp output to the SAT/CATV audio IN. I have a pair of Klipsch speakers running from the receiver, but I’m not having success. Am I literally crossing any wires here? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    I know this sounds silly, but my first check is always to make sure all cables are properly plugged in (power to all units, correct alignment of audio output/input, and speaker wire properly connected +/-).

After that, make sure your receiver setting is correct (and not on mute).

If that doesn't do it, there could be an issue. Are you getting ANY sound (even very very quiet sound)? If so, that would point to an issue in your pyle pre-amp. If not, things get a bit trickier. Could be the speakers, could be the receiver, or could be tonearm wiring issues on your TEAC.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #20096
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I know this sounds silly, but my first check is always to make sure all cables are properly plugged in (power to all units, correct alignment of audio output/input, and speaker wire properly connected +/-).

After that, make sure your receiver setting is correct (and not on mute).

If that doesn't do it, there could be an issue. Are you getting ANY sound (even very very quiet sound)? If so, that would point to an issue in your pyle pre-amp. If not, things get a bit trickier. Could be the speakers, could be the receiver, or could be tonearm wiring issues on your TEAC.

Try the other receiver inputs too - switch it from SAT/CATV to CD or DVD or whatever and see if you still have the same problem.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:55 PM   #20097
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

De La Soul's 3 Feet High and Rising arrived today!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvALVM7A..._web_copy_link

I plan to do a bit of a longer write up for reddit/r/vinyl tomorrow and I'll share that here as well

Old 03-15-2019, 07:09 AM   #20098
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    De La Soul's 3 Feet High and Rising arrived today!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvALVM7A..._web_copy_link

I plan to do a bit of a longer write up for reddit/r/vinyl tomorrow and I'll share that here as well
    Full review is up for anyone interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/vinyl/comme..._photo_review/

Old 03-15-2019, 04:56 PM   #20099
    snake911

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Full review is up for anyone interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/vinyl/comme..._photo_review/
    Great review. And you don't need to A/B this with an early copy. If the VMP one sounds good, it beats an OP hands down. The other releases (what few there are) are all pretty poor. The single LP early pressings are garbage, and the more recent 2LPs are cut from (I'm assuming) the CD master. Good on VMP for finally getting this done properly, bummer the DLS guys won't be getting their proper cut.
    Old 03-16-2019, 01:30 PM   #20100
    Rnk13

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Moving from a small apartment to a house in a couple of weeks, so I'll finally have a good space for my setup and am thinking about making some upgrades. Will probably be done in parts, with speakers coming first.

I have a ProJect Debut Carbon DC turntable with an Ortofon Red cart and an ART DJPre II preamp. The speakers I have were bought pre-TT and might not be ideal--a Sony STR-KG700 receiver with a standard 5.1 setup that's primarily used for home-theater purposes, and a Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Air from ~2012.

I noticed the Klipsch R-15Ms are about $165 on Amazon right now (https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R-15M...gateway&sr=8-3). Would those be a logical choice? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Rnk13 is offline   Reply With Quote