The Only Thing (new tune) - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 08-14-2021, 09:48 AM   #91
bibby1044

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Only Thing (new tune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titotimmy View Post
I mean 90% of the people in here that didn’t like it explained why, your post just kind of condemned discussion because we “shouldn’t be negative.”

There are groups out there for nothing but positive discussion
And I’m done with it even talking about it after this post. The person who posted in here that they are damned if they do damned if they don’t are spot on. They will never win unless they travel back in time and write an album that sounds like the big 3 which they haven’t even attempted to do since those albums by changing their sound as time has gone on. The big 3 wouldn’t be the big 3 if they didn’t try different things each time so it’s a losing battle at this point.
bibby1044 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-14-2021, 09:50 AM   #92
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bibby1044 View Post
    And I’m done with it even talking about it after this post. The person who posted in here that they are damned if they do damned if they don’t are spot on. They will never win unless they travel back in time and write an album that sounds like the big 3 which they haven’t even attempted to do since those albums by changing their sound as time has gone on. The big 3 wouldn’t be the big 3 if they didn’t try different things each time so it’s a losing battle at this point.

You seem to be making things up and then arguing against them
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 09:53 AM   #93
    Titotimmy
    Lillywhite's Tapeworm

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Except this is totally untrue cause I (and a lot of people who didn’t like this song) like a lot of new songs……..

The point of this forum is to discuss what we like and don’t like, don’t really understand not being able to handle difference of opinion on here

R.I.P. Last Stop 4/8/1998 - 9/1/2018
    Titotimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 09:53 AM   #94
    seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I like the new songs...

Man I just like this band. I don't feel the need to pick it all apart. It's not Bach. But it is extremely close to my heart and I'm happy they are energized and playing these new tunes with some interesting parts. That's really all I have to say. If you don't like them I understand, but I do. Can't wait to hear the studio versions.
    Old 08-14-2021, 09:56 AM   #95
    paulg83
    Probably just rage

Shows Seen: 66

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Was lukewarm on first listen. Subsequent listens and I'm loving it. It's not old DMB for sure, but this is fun.
    Old 08-14-2021, 10:02 AM   #96
    Johnedmb
    Johnedmb

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

The opening 5/10 seconds of guitar riff / drums sounds like Beasties Sabotage to me
    Johnedmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 10:05 AM   #97
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I like it. The thing people need to remember is modern DMB is not, not will it ever be, Big 3 DMB. For what DMB is now, this is pretty solid. Laid back summer tunes.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 10:17 AM   #98
    groogrux27

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

this is like rooftop and she got together and had a baby that's twice as good as their parents
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    j. mayer could easily replace dave in dmb
    groogrux27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 10:17 AM   #99
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titotimmy View Post
    Except this is totally untrue cause I (and a lot of people who didn’t like this song) like a lot of new songs……..

The point of this forum is to discuss what we like and don’t like, don’t really understand not being able to handle difference of opinion on here

It's just a fake argument, made up really, there's many recent examples of DMB coming up with songs that don't sound like the big 3 that have been absolutely loved for the quality of music itself independent of resembling anything in the past. Virginia in the Rain would be a good example of this, Death on the High Seas, Again and Again studio version, etc. Conversely the main reason certain songs don't go over well is the music itself, for example people don't hate "free the beast inside of me" because it doesn't sound like the big 3 they hate it because it's weak lyrically. The jam they got rid of on Can't Stop was something fans liked because it sounded good regardless of anything else. People hate the "you" on Louisiana Bayou because it gets annoying, not because it doesn't match things they did 20 years ago.

There's very very few people on Ants who are looking for them to stay in one lane and write music exactly as they did during the big 3 era, artists evolve over time and their instrumentation is different. Should be able to comment on what we like or dislike as they go.
    Old 08-14-2021, 10:29 AM   #100
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Putting this as a lead single
    Its a better radio song than Moon or Ocean. DMB isn't going to have a big hit regardless in 2021. But this one is much better for the radio than the other two we've heard.
    Old 08-14-2021, 10:36 AM   #101
    Cross the ice

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Not unique. A song that is all recorded and evidently ready for the album to be described as having potential and a little rough lyrics is not a good portent to the awful album that is sure to come between October and never.
    Cross the ice is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 10:51 AM   #102
    dmbdreamingtree
    be the light

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cross the ice View Post
    Not unique. A song that is all recorded and evidently ready for the album to be described as having potential and a little rough lyrics is not a good portent to the awful album that is sure to come between October and never.
    Some of Dave’s best songs never had set lyrics. DIDO for example
    You're living in an imaginary mental prison of your own creation.
    dmbdreamingtree is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 11:09 AM   #103
    BruceW

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    It's awesome to see the band sonically experimenting in such an unexpected way. I never thought I would get to hear DMB channeling artists like: Aerosmith, Edgar Winter, Dream Theater, etc. I have no idea if this new record will be good, but it's clear it's going to be interesting and unlike any album that preceded it. I would much rather the band fail attempting to create something eccentric than to deliver another ballad fest like CT. My greatest fear was that the new album was going to be a boring "Jack Johnson playing soft ballads about how much he loves his kids and wants to improve the world on his porch as the sun sets in Honolulu" affair; the new songs are quelling that anxiety. None of the new songs are Last Stop Pt. II but, more importantly, they aren't Samurai Cop Pt. II either. I don't believe Dave will be able to consistently deliver pristine vocal performances of WATM or TOT in the live setting but I think they will both sound outstanding in the studio and they're imbued with great jam potential if the band decides to extend the improvisational sections.

Well said.
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 11:12 AM   #104
    BruceW

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cross the ice View Post

It has “potential” live meaning it can stretch out. Rough lyrics meaning those people don’t like the lyrics, not that they’re rough sketches and unfinished or anything
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 11:22 AM   #105
    GoingToCA91

Shows Seen: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I'm really digging this on my first two listens. Catchy chorus, cool jam/bridge breakdown bit.
    GoingToCA91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 11:28 AM   #106
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It's awesome to see the band sonically experimenting in such an unexpected way. I never thought I would get to hear DMB channeling artists like: Aerosmith, Edgar Winter, Dream Theater, etc. I have no idea if this new record will be good, but it's clear it's going to be interesting and unlike any album that preceded it. I would much rather the band fail attempting to create something eccentric than to deliver another ballad fest like CT. My greatest fear was that the new album was going to be a boring "Jack Johnson playing soft ballads about how much he loves his kids and wants to improve the world on his porch as the sun sets in Honolulu" affair; the new songs are quelling that anxiety. None of the new songs are Last Stop Pt. II but, more importantly, they aren't Samurai Cop Pt. II either. I don't believe Dave will be able to consistently deliver pristine vocal performances of WATM or TOT in the live setting but I think they will both sound outstanding in the studio and they're imbued with great jam potential if the band decides to extend the improvisational sections.
    100% accurate, well said.

If Johnny Cash kept playing Cry, Cry, Cry we never would have got Hurt.

Artists grow, change, and experiment more over time. Some like it, some don't.

But this is modern DMB.

For those who don't like American Recordings, there's always the old Sun Recordings to listen to.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 11:41 AM   #107
    DMB1JW

Shows Seen: 113

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Gut says The Only Thing will be a really good studio track. So far the new tunes are solid. Thankful for new music from our boys.
    DMB1JW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 11:43 AM   #108
    DEMITRI

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I dig it, sounds like a theme song to a tv show for some reason lol
    DEMITRI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 02:26 PM   #109
    saxman210

My Tour Central Stats

I like it. But it’s got a mix of “I Did It” and “She” to me. Not a bad mix, but that’s the vibe I get. That probably makes some of you panic but I actually like this.
    saxman210 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 02:42 PM   #110
    BTBaboon

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    There's very few people who fit into that category, seems odd to be so frustrated or upset by people not liking songs, it has no bearing on you or your connection to the music

I’ve noticed with this go around of new music that there’s WAY more Family-type defenders. It’s not a personal attack on someone who likes the tune when others suggest they don’t think it’s great. And I don’t think anyone down on it is seeking to convince anyone that likes it that it’s bad. It’s a discussion board, we’re going to have…discussions?

Imagine if Be Yourself and Plastic Girl debuted this year - it’d be WWIII here!

Quote:
    They will never win unless they travel back in time and write an album that sounds like the big 3
    Not really - VitR is a great example of a newer tune that doesn’t sound Big 3 that is pretty well regarded.

Lots of good post Big 3 music. Most of it rarely has been laid down and released on a studio effort, which is a shame.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    Its a better radio song than Moon or Ocean. DMB isn't going to have a big hit regardless in 2021. But this one is much better for the radio than the other two we've heard.
    Do You Remember should have been a radio single - probably the best suited song they’ve released on an album for the radio, and of course they didn’t go with it. I don’t anticipate anything from this album getting radio play either, but I will assume that there will be a tune more suited on the album that will get neglected again.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    If Johnny Cash kept playing Cry, Cry, Cry we never would have got Hurt.
    Well…I think we owe that more to NIN, right?

Maybe DMB’s I Need a New Drug is their Hurt moment?!?
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 02:45 PM   #111
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

^ there very will might be a better radio song on the album and it might get passed over as a single. I was talking strictly about the 3 songs we've heard. TOT is the best radio song of those songs
    Old 08-14-2021, 02:55 PM   #112
    TwoStep2888
    Freak Time

Shows Seen: 7

My Tour Central Stats

third listen and I'm starting to dig this one
    Old 08-14-2021, 03:13 PM   #113
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Can't emphasize enough how perfectly said this is.

I'm also back to totally digging this song.

Last edited by jaymas9; 08-14-2021 at 03:14 PM.
    jaymas9 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 03:43 PM   #114
    coldblueice

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

fuggin SUCKS.

they shelved Bismarck for THIS?!? ��
    coldblueice is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 04:08 PM   #115
    jenhen27
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

On first listen, I didn't like it. Read some comments about people digging it so I gave it another listen today. Yep, still don't like it. At all. Third listen.... I get the Rooftop/She reference. Still don't like it. I'd rather hear a run of Stand Up, Can't Stop, and Seven than catch this at a show. This sounds like they are trying to be Van Halen. It's so bizarre.

This is clearly a love it or hate it song. For the record I hate She. I love Walk Around the Moon. I've listened to the Raleigh version of Walk Around the Moon more times than I can count.

jenhen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 04:40 PM   #116
    dmbdreamingtree
    be the light

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Do those who dislike this song dislike DIDO? Not the same songs but main riffs are in the same fam

I sense they are going to bang this one out w a jam. I like the song. What can I say
    You're living in an imaginary mental prison of your own creation.
    dmbdreamingtree is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 04:50 PM   #117
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbdreamingtree View Post
    Do those who dislike this song dislike DIDO? Not the same songs but main riffs are in the same fam

I sense they are going to bang this one out w a jam. I like the song. What can I say

I've always felt DIDO is overrated but it is light years better than this song
    Old 08-14-2021, 04:58 PM   #118
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

So far I get an earlier DMB vibe from Walk Around the Moon, Ocean and the Butterfly and Singing From the Windows. If we get a couple rock tunes with a catchy melody I think I’m alright with that experiment as long as it’s good. Not the first rock song they’ve done. In this case I think I’m digging this one. At this point it’s time to drop the hope for a return to form and enjoy the fact that if released by anyone else it would be a kick ass rock song.

Definitely catching the Aerosmith, and whoever said the All the Young Dudes, YES!
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 05:13 PM   #119
    bibby1044

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post

I’ve noticed with this go around of new music that there’s WAY more Family-type defenders. It’s not a personal attack on someone who likes the tune when others suggest they don’t think it’s great. And I don’t think anyone down on it is seeking to convince anyone that likes it that it’s bad. It’s a discussion board, we’re going to have…discussions?

Imagine if Be Yourself and Plastic Girl debuted this year - it’d be WWIII here!

Not really - VitR is a great example of a newer tune that doesn’t sound Big 3 that is pretty well regarded.

Lots of good post Big 3 music. Most of it rarely has been laid down and released on a studio effort, which is a shame.
    Ok couple things here. I am definitely not a family type defender. In fact I hate the person that says you can’t be critical of the band and have to love everything. That is not what I was trying to portray.

I was in attendance for Plastic girl. Shocking Dave could think that was a good idea. Same with be yourself really but not on such a level with plastic girl. (Studio bkbkbkd did sound amazing tho).

VITR is one of my favorite studio tracks since 03.

And the big 3 comment wasn’t meant to be taken literally. I was playing off another post. People don’t have to like everything I get that. I certainly don’t. It’s just every song I don’t like I also don’t necessarily think is bad it just doesn’t do it for me is all (I realize I called the other 2 above garbage lol) and I see some people say as much here but I feel like more than most just are in the hot take culture we find ourselves in. Not complaining and I’m over it. I certainly am not trying to defend ground on a song I think is just alright haha.
    bibby1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-14-2021, 06:06 PM   #120
    candyman#41

Shows Seen: 40

My Tour Central Stats

I like it. Very catchy. Sounds like She met BOWA (right after the chorus).
    candyman#41 is offline   Reply With Quote