Gorge = Awesome Crowd = Horrible - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion > Just Got Back From The Show!
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 09-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #31
27Ravens
Keep on Groovin

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Gorge = Awesome Crowd = Horrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustysurf83 View Post
I hope the Gorge changes the way they do premier camping. It was kind of bullshit that they don't open at least some of the gates in the fence. We had to walk nearly a mile to go visit our friends when they I could literally see them over the fence.
I talked to Russ the head security guy about this because I too was at first frustrated with it. He said they do it to keep people out of the Premiere. Its easier for them to have security guard on entrance than 10. After hearing all the people that got their campsites ripped off, I wasnt so mad about having to walk anymore.
27Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-09-2009, 12:04 AM   #32
    esoteridactyl

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I just have to completely agree with the OP. I camped right next to the aforementioned party tent playing Fergie and the like all day/night. It really boggles my mind why these losers are even there...really, and where are they getting all this cash to blow on a show they don't care about + tons of 9$ beers and whatnot? Sounds like Wild Horse is the place to go, it is a lot cheaper than premier or even regular camping @ The Gorge IIRC too

Last edited by esoteridactyl; 09-09-2009 at 12:06 AM.
    esoteridactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2009, 07:57 AM   #33
    MsEmilyNYC
    Dreaming Tree Hugger

Shows Seen: 91

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by esoteridactyl View Post
    I just have to completely agree with the OP. I camped right next to the aforementioned party tent playing Fergie and the like all day/night. It really boggles my mind why these losers are even there...really, and where are they getting all this cash to blow on a show they don't care about + tons of 9$ beers and whatnot? Sounds like Wild Horse is the place to go, it is a lot cheaper than premier or even regular camping @ The Gorge IIRC too
    Actually, Wildhorse and Premiere were both $125 this year.
    MsEmilyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #34
    bustdstuff
    Dimples Rules!!!!

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsEmilyNYC View Post
    Actually, Wildhorse and Premiere were both $125 this year.
    How many people is the premiere pass good for? I know at Wild Horse it's four people and one vehicle.

My pics.
    My Show Stats

Co-Commisioner of Bogarting
    Commisioner of All Things Monkey Lovin'
    bustdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #35
    Tisha

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bustdstuff View Post
    How many people is the premiere pass good for? I know at Wild Horse it's four people and one vehicle.
    Same for Premiere...we had 4 peeps in our vehicle and technically we were only to have 2 tents per campsite...but it was me (a girl) and 3 single men so each of us had our own tents. Not that we each stayed in our own tents (wink) but we had our own tents.
    Old 09-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #36
    MsEmilyNYC
    Dreaming Tree Hugger

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Same at Premiere.
    Old 09-09-2009, 10:00 AM   #37
    bustdstuff
    Dimples Rules!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tisha View Post
    Same for Premiere...we had 4 peeps in our vehicle and technically we were only to have 2 tents per campsite...but it was me (a girl) and 3 single men so each of us had our own tents. Not that we each stayed in our own tents (wink) but we had our own tents.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsEmilyNYC View Post
    Same at Premiere.
    Good to know, but I'll be at Wildhorse when I get back to the Gorge. You just can't beat clean Honey Buckets, and endless hot water.

My pics.
    My Show Stats

Old 09-09-2009, 10:08 AM   #38
    Tisha

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Good to know, but I'll be at Wildhorse when I get back to the Gorge. You just can't beat clean Honey Buckets, and endless hot water.
    The Honey Buckets and showers were pretty good from where we were. We were between Honey Buckets 7 & 8 and it seemed to always be clean when I visited the restrooms. Plus, loved that I didn't have to wait for a shower...always just walked right in and did my thing. I thought for sure they would run out of hot water after the long showers I was taking to work the kink out of my neck that happened when I blacked out during N1's performance. Yikes!
    Old 09-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #39
    MsEmilyNYC
    Dreaming Tree Hugger

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The Honey Buckets were pretty clean where we were and I never took a cold shower. Really, I do think that there are a lot of rumors about Premiere that were completely de-bunked this weekend. To each his own though.
    Old 09-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #40
    bmtoups
    Celebrate we will...

Shows Seen: 126

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Steph, you missed it... our camp was at the "skybox" this year. It was awesome. You better go next year dammit!
    bmtoups is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2009, 10:55 AM   #41
    bustdstuff
    Dimples Rules!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmtoups View Post
    Steph, you missed it... our camp was at the "skybox" this year. It was awesome. You better go next year dammit!
    I've already started planning. And, I informed Matt that he's going too. Actually I asked if he wanted to go, and he understood that I wasn't really asking. Fay needs to be there again also!

My pics.
    My Show Stats

Old 09-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #42
    TheGeneral

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

The key to the regular gorge campground is you need to get there early afternoon on thursday, we were camping in the first small lot on the right when you come in the main entrance and we had awesome neighbors that were definitely dave fans, but I did venture into the main gorge campground lot and was definitely glad I wasn't camped out there, looked super rowdy, looked underage, and packed in way to tight.
    Old 09-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #43
    Tisha

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheGeneral View Post
    The key to the regular gorge campground is you need to get there early afternoon on thursday, we were camping in the first small lot on the right when you come in the main entrance and we had awesome neighbors that were definitely dave fans, but I did venture into the main gorge campground lot and was definitely glad I wasn't camped out there, looked super rowdy, looked underage, and packed in way to tight.
    It for sure looked like people were packed in...but it wasn't too bad where we were even though we had 3 cars and 7 tents. Some of our campmates tents were small backpack type tents so it was good.

I think our little area was okay - but only because one of our campers went out on Thursday instead of Friday. By the time we got there Friday afternoon our place was already "saved". We had an older crowd with us (Ages ranged from 33 to 56). Ma & Pa (we so affectionately named them) were AWESOME and I can't wait to keep in touch and hang out with them again next year.
    Old 09-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #44
    Doofie27
    Is a filthy Poser

Shows Seen: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    did you see the davestock sign on the teepee-like tent? that was us! it rocked!
    Old 09-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #45
    roadie gear
    Rocel Dimmick

My Tour Central Stats

Wildhorse is fabulous I would never consider going anywhere else. I loved everyone! Three Cheers for the Dickhead!
    roadie gear is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2009, 06:57 PM   #46
    TheGeneral

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doofie27 View Post
    did you see the davestock sign on the teepee-like tent? that was us! it rocked!
    Yes I definitely saw your sign! We were one more row over towards the main road right next to the RV flying the Oregon Ducks banner. I thought that lot was great except for the dirty hippies (not that I have anything against hippies) stealing everyones stuff Thursday night, but the cops gave them the boot then it was smooth sailing.
    Old 09-09-2009, 09:36 PM   #47
    Doofie27
    Is a filthy Poser

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yes I definitely saw your sign! We were one more row over towards the main road right next to the RV flying the Oregon Ducks banner. I thought that lot was great except for the dirty hippies (not that I have anything against hippies) stealing everyones stuff Thursday night, but the cops gave them the boot then it was smooth sailing.
    whaaaat? fucking stealing stuff? you know, we had our awesome plush boise state blanket go missing on thursday night. hmmmm. fucking jerk offs, i wish i could just once catch someone going through my shit and/or trying to steal it. Let me tell ya, it would be an experience they would never forget, haha.

and Toups, next year we are splitting our camp between gorge camping and wildhorse. we will be a part of toupstown and an embassy at the same time!
    Old 09-10-2009, 08:33 AM   #48
    nycrispy

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by holdemhart View Post
    Premier camping is where it's at....
    This is the bottom line my friend. Standard Camping has moved to the top area which , I know you were in. This is where all the hard core parties are going to be, and that is not going to change. Sounds like you have moved into a different age bracket. You need to think about going premier next year if you go. More older mature crowd I had fun , but missed the insanity after the shows. We hiked up there third night , it was a wasteland. I like my view at the bottom , cant part with that. Next time will be better for you . Peace
    nycrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-10-2009, 11:38 AM   #49
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Older and more laid back campers in premier campground. We had some great neighbors. Finally. After rowdy neighbors everywhere else lately (Deer Creek was the worst), we really lucked out at The Gorge. I loved Danny Barnes. Surprised more DMB fans didn't enjoy Yonder Mountain String Band...I've seen them together or at festivals together several times.

I walked around several campgrounds and have to say there was a distinctly higher level of douchebaggery in the regular campgrounds than in the premier campground. Worth the extra cash, imo.
    I had the same experience. We were camped next to wonderful people in Gorge Premier. When we walked over to regular camping it was a fucking circus full of drunk/drugged teenagers. That's all fine and good, when you're a teenager, but I'm 27 and married. We got hammered every night, but we know how to handle our booze, and be respectful of our neighbors, and it seemed like that was the theme of Gorge Premier. We had an amazing camping experience there.

Quote:
    Premier is certainly the way to go. We went to visit some friends in the standard campground and there was a very noticeable differences between the types of campers. Everyone around us was respectful all weekend. The only slightly annoying thing was a group directly behind our tent that partied until about 3 a.m. on Sunday, but fuck it. Who cares?
    Exactly.

Quote:
    I hope the Gorge changes the way they do premier camping. It was kind of bullshit that they don't open at least some of the gates in the fence. We had to walk nearly a mile to go visit our friends when they I could literally see them over the fence.

Thursday night, we were walking around with some other Gorge Premier campers that were trying to find their way out as well. One guy got fed up and just dropped his shoulder and charged through a weak part of the fence. Couldn't believe he actually broke through, but he did.

The rest of the time, we either walked all the way around or jumped the little cattle gate style fence that blocked one of the road ways.
    Old 09-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #50
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tisha View Post
    The Honey Buckets and showers were pretty good from where we were. We were between Honey Buckets 7 & 8 and it seemed to always be clean when I visited the restrooms. Plus, loved that I didn't have to wait for a shower...always just walked right in and did my thing. I thought for sure they would run out of hot water after the long showers I was taking to work the kink out of my neck that happened when I blacked out during N1's performance. Yikes!

Sounds like you were pretty close to us. Were were between 7 and 8 vertically and directly behind 9 horizontally.

The showers were great. Never had to wait, and they were clean/hot. Honey Buckets got gross, but after a day or so, I started listening for the cleaning truck and just hit them after they were done.
    Old 09-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #51
    DuckFan

Shows Seen: 38

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    Sounds like you were pretty close to us. Were were between 7 and 8 vertically and directly behind 9 horizontally.

The showers were great. Never had to wait, and they were clean/hot. Honey Buckets got gross, but after a day or so, I started listening for the cleaning truck and just hit them after they were done.
    Spoken like a true Gorge Vet. Listen for the Truck so you can hit it fresh.

Gorge Premier rocked. I was a little taken a back at first with the number of people as it was a different premier then years past.

Friday night after the show, regular camping sounded like Bartertown from Mad Max Thunderdome and premier was the safe part, out side the walls were all the animals. Trippy.

Yep, Gorge Premier rocks. WH is tempting but I never get the same feeling over there. Its so far away and disconnected. I enjoy walking down Shake Down Street with all the vendors.
    Old 09-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #52
    Tisha

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post

Yeah, you weren't too far from us. We were right up against the fence and my camp buddies were selling Koozies. I didn't even know what the heck a Koozie was in the beginning - I always called them coolies (those foam drink thingys).

I, too, started listening for the trucks...actually, we would all start cheering for the Honey Bucket guys when they came around so that we all knew that we didn't have to hold out for too much longer.
    Old 09-12-2009, 07:19 PM   #53
    Rogue
    Fill My Glass For Me...

Shows Seen: 73

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

ExistenceNow,
    Glad you had a good time too.
    Boomer Sooner!
    What was with the horns' late start today?
    They didn't cover the spread (33 1/2) and didn't cover the over (56 1/2).
    That's what I get for betting on UT I guess.
    Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-12-2009, 07:27 PM   #54
    JG4EVER

My Tour Central Stats

I never thought I would be slapped in the face by Dave but after hearing "caveman" and "side of the road" for the third night in a row I finally know how all those people that Boyd's bus dumped crap on felt... As if those songs by random banjo playing old guy weren't enough, Dave decided to repeat songs off Big Whiskey over and over throughout the weekend (13 repeated songs to be exact, 5 of which were played all three nights… jesus). This is exactly why the band tries to skirt comparisons to the Grateful Dead because the Dead would never have insulted fans that spent three nights camping in crappy weather with the same songs every night. I think Dave owes everyone that endured this weekend an apology for playing like an old musician does, (i.e. repeating the same songs every night) which is something I would expect from say Willie Nelson at a venue where no one has to camp. But Willie plays to groups of old people that only go to one show in a weekend, not hardcore young fans that spend a weekend in a tent with no running water and no flushing toilets. However, I think even Willie's young enough to understand that if people are camping out at a venue just to see your band YOU DON'T PLAY THE SAME SONG TWICE!!! Let alone three times… I'm from Austin, TX and I think a lot of people miss Dave (he hasn't played a show there since '99) but after this weekend I hope he never comes back and sticks to apparently playing the same set list every night in Dallas and Houston so I won’t be tempted to go. I for one am going to boycott his ACL performance, (though in hindsight I wish I had only gone to that and not dropped hundreds of dollars seeing him play the same songs each night at the Gorge) post this every where I can, and never go to a Dave show again. I feel cheated and betrayed as an ex-true Dave fan and just can't understand why he was apparently playing to the couple of hundred people that were commuting in and out of the venue each day and only seeing one show, while purposefully ignoring the thousands of people that were camped out for all three nights. I mean come on, though I did get my "Two Step" and possibly the best "Time Bomb" to date, I had better play lists made out in my ipod than the ones those jokers decided to go with. The repetition undermined the entire performance as the band members appeared to be really into every song they played (save for Jeff Coffin who's impatience showed lovely on his face - I mean come on Dave what would Bela say?) despite playing the exact same songs, which implies that they either - A) don't care what songs they play as long as they're getting paid - or B) all have the memory of store bought goldfish. I actually felt really bad for Mr. Coffin but at least now I have a greater understanding of why Butch Taylor and Peter Griesar would rather leave the band and fall into anonymity than go on stage and bang the same drum every night. One last thing, I don't know who told the show's promoters that G Love is bigger and/or better than Yonder Mountain String Band, but I assure you that he is neither nor, and can't tell you how disappointed I was to have to enter the venue an extra hour early (and enjoy 9 dollar beers...) to catch Yonder’s show and then be forced by the "no re-entry" rule to sit through G Love's hour of annoying head bobbing and teeny bopper impressing. Yonder headlines their own three day music festivals (and never plays the same song twice) meanwhile G Love gets off to the mirror after his community college harmonica lessons. (No one would even know about that guy if it weren't for Jack Johnson and Jack never would have let him play on Rodeo Clowns if he had met Jon Popper first.) All in all the Gorge was beautiful but Dave's set lists were not.
    JG4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-12-2009, 11:42 PM   #55
    jeff edwards

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Man that does suck, but you have to make the best of the situation. Don't let the drunks get to you. There is always an easy way to calm them down, just relate to where their head's at go from there. No matter what venue your at your always gonna have the drunks, and the people that are there just cause they could. I have found that every show I've been at has a mix of who's a real fan and who's not. I usually get my tix from either ebay or a scalper, cause I am willing to pay to see this band play.
    It's always a really great way to either KICK OFF a summer or end one. I live in Toronto so it's pretty much impossible to get tickets over the phone that are any good. I try and try but to no evail. Anyways too bad about your expierence and don't give up on that venue , be thankful you were there this year. Cause any Dave show is a fucking great Dave show. Oh yeah it made me proud to be a Canadain, when you said that peeps from Canada made your trip. Eh...
    jeff edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #56
    Doofie27
    Is a filthy Poser

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JG4EVER View Post
    I never thought I would be slapped in the face by Dave but after hearing "caveman" and "side of the road" for the third night in a row I finally know how all those people that Boyd's bus dumped crap on felt... As if those songs by random banjo playing old guy weren't enough, Dave decided to repeat songs off Big Whiskey over and over throughout the weekend (13 repeated songs to be exact, 5 of which were played all three nights… jesus). This is exactly why the band tries to skirt comparisons to the Grateful Dead because the Dead would never have insulted fans that spent three nights camping in crappy weather with the same songs every night. I think Dave owes everyone that endured this weekend an apology for playing like an old musician does, (i.e. repeating the same songs every night) which is something I would expect from say Willie Nelson at a venue where no one has to camp. But Willie plays to groups of old people that only go to one show in a weekend, not hardcore young fans that spend a weekend in a tent with no running water and no flushing toilets. However, I think even Willie's young enough to understand that if people are camping out at a venue just to see your band YOU DON'T PLAY THE SAME SONG TWICE!!! Let alone three times… I'm from Austin, TX and I think a lot of people miss Dave (he hasn't played a show there since '99) but after this weekend I hope he never comes back and sticks to apparently playing the same set list every night in Dallas and Houston so I won’t be tempted to go. I for one am going to boycott his ACL performance, (though in hindsight I wish I had only gone to that and not dropped hundreds of dollars seeing him play the same songs each night at the Gorge) post this every where I can, and never go to a Dave show again. I feel cheated and betrayed as an ex-true Dave fan and just can't understand why he was apparently playing to the couple of hundred people that were commuting in and out of the venue each day and only seeing one show, while purposefully ignoring the thousands of people that were camped out for all three nights. I mean come on, though I did get my "Two Step" and possibly the best "Time Bomb" to date, I had better play lists made out in my ipod than the ones those jokers decided to go with. The repetition undermined the entire performance as the band members appeared to be really into every song they played (save for Jeff Coffin who's impatience showed lovely on his face - I mean come on Dave what would Bela say?) despite playing the exact same songs, which implies that they either - A) don't care what songs they play as long as they're getting paid - or B) all have the memory of store bought goldfish. I actually felt really bad for Mr. Coffin but at least now I have a greater understanding of why Butch Taylor and Peter Griesar would rather leave the band and fall into anonymity than go on stage and bang the same drum every night. One last thing, I don't know who told the show's promoters that G Love is bigger and/or better than Yonder Mountain String Band, but I assure you that he is neither nor, and can't tell you how disappointed I was to have to enter the venue an extra hour early (and enjoy 9 dollar beers...) to catch Yonder’s show and then be forced by the "no re-entry" rule to sit through G Love's hour of annoying head bobbing and teeny bopper impressing. Yonder headlines their own three day music festivals (and never plays the same song twice) meanwhile G Love gets off to the mirror after his community college harmonica lessons. (No one would even know about that guy if it weren't for Jack Johnson and Jack never would have let him play on Rodeo Clowns if he had met Jon Popper first.) All in all the Gorge was beautiful but Dave's set lists were not.
    that sucks you felt this way, and i agree somewhat on the danny barnes thing, but come on, it was an album release year. Did you get pissed that they played big whiskey songs?
    Either way, you just registered to post this, so I am just going to say good riddance and good luck with everything.
    Old 09-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #57
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    ExistenceNow,
    Glad you had a good time too.
    Boomer Sooner!
    What was with the horns' late start today?
    They didn't cover the spread (33 1/2) and didn't cover the over (56 1/2).
    That's what I get for betting on UT I guess.

IDK what their fucking deal was. They came out flat as hell. Glad they pulled their heads out of their asses for the second half though.
    Old 09-13-2009, 03:08 PM   #58
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JG4EVER View Post
    Couple things:

Paragraphs man, use them.

Most people in Austin don't miss Dave. Most people here hate the band. Just read the ACL forums if you don't believe me.

I also traveled from Austin to Gorge. I had a great time camping and at the shows. The repeats were disappointing, sure, but weren't NEARLY as big of a deal as you're making them out to be. They didn't sour my trip in the least.

Sucks that you're writing off the band because of some repeated songs, but oh well, your boycott of DMB at ACL means one less person bitching and moaning in the crowd while I'm there.

As to the bold, you got your shit backwards. No one would even know Jack Johnson if it wasn't for G. Love. G. Love let Jack do Rodeo Clowns on G. Love's 1999 Philadelphonic album.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 09-13-2009 at 03:11 PM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #59
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doofie27 View Post
    that sucks you felt this way, and i agree somewhat on the danny barnes thing, but come on, it was an album release year. Did you get pissed that they played big whiskey songs?
    Either way, you just registered to post this, so I am just going to say good riddance and good luck with everything.
    Old 09-18-2009, 05:59 AM   #60
    JG4EVER

My Tour Central Stats

As for paragraphs, rants don't usually come in that form, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find too many Austinites that hate Dave, I would argue that the ones posting things on the ACL website are of a certain breed (i.e. people that post things in forums all the time). I'll probably change my mind about Dave's ACL show as I really like the new songs I just couldn't understand their repetition, I'm not the bitch and moaning type but if he repeats anything in the same set list I reserve the right to. I had a great time camping and the trip was good over all, I didn't mind hearing the new songs at all, the first time... Sorry I don't care about your little forum here but if I had a blast at the shows I would have joined to praise Dave. As for G Love, Jack wrote the song and pretty much played everything on it, though G Love may have put it on his album I don't see how that amounts to him "letting him do that" And now that the natural progression of forum posts has run its course I look forward to never thinking about this interaction again.
    JG4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote