***Gorge 2009*** - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums
Old 01-12-2009, 10:33 PM   #121
canes101190
No Worries
 
canes101190's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 34,353

Shows Seen: 45

Re: ***Gorge 2009***

I'm actually driving from Portland..meeting a buddy there who goes to University of Portland and we're taking his car up..I'm assuming it's a little bit longer but will definitely save us money on renting a car
canes101190 is offline   Reply With Quote

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #122
    ExperienceJones
    Go Cougs!
     
    ExperienceJones's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2002
    Location: Seattle, WA
    Posts: 8,292

    Shows Seen: 46

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by On Bended Knees View Post
    jesus christ, damn place is in the middle of no where. so what, does every one rent cars then from the airport to the gorge? what does that end up running?
    Not sure man, I grew up in Yakima which is about 45 miles from the Gorge. I drive over from Seattle since I moved here a couple of years ago. Haven't really talked to anyone that has flown in and driven.

    I've heard there will be a lot of carpool threads starting up closer to the summer season and you might be able to rent someone with some other ants and roll together. Trust me you'll love ever minute of the experience.
    __________________
    Cody
    My Shows
    Gorgin' since 2001
    ExperienceJones is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2009, 11:02 PM   #123
    ExperienceJones
    Go Cougs!
     
    ExperienceJones's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2002
    Location: Seattle, WA
    Posts: 8,292

    Shows Seen: 46

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by canes101190 View Post
    I'm actually driving from Portland..meeting a buddy there who goes to University of Portland and we're taking his car up..I'm assuming it's a little bit longer but will definitely save us money on renting a car
    Yeah its probably closer to a 5-6 hour drive from Portland
    __________________
    Cody
    My Shows
    Gorgin' since 2001
    ExperienceJones is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2009, 11:02 PM   #124
    ExperienceJones
    Go Cougs!
     
    ExperienceJones's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2002
    Location: Seattle, WA
    Posts: 8,292

    Shows Seen: 46

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    Well maybe more like 4ish
    __________________
    Cody
    My Shows
    Gorgin' since 2001
    ExperienceJones is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2009, 11:46 PM   #125
    jennie75
    dance 1,000 steps 4 U
     
    jennie75's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Location: Portland, OR
    Posts: 8,816

    Shows Seen: 55
    Send a message via AIM to jennie75 Send a message via MSN to jennie75 Send a message via Yahoo to jennie75 Send a message via Skype™ to jennie75

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    www.toupstown.com for all your gorge, vegas and spac questions....

    yes, its in the middle of no where...is it worth it? fuck yeah it is! right cody??
    __________________
    - Jennie - The First Lady of Toupstown
    Bring the action
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmtoups View Post
    you can pack a bowl, while holding your phone with you shoulder, while putting on mascara, while driving. LOL
    jennie75 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2009, 12:31 AM   #126
    newscane
    It's all about the..
     
    newscane's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2002
    Location: The Skybox, Toupstown, USA
    Posts: 12,194

    Shows Seen: 72

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jennie75 View Post
    www.toupstown.com for all your gorge, vegas and spac questions....
    Second that comment... just check Toupstown.com But I'll take a stab at a few things here...
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rain Dog View Post
    Hey all! I apologize in advance for the newbie-ness of this post, but I'm planning my first Gorge experience and desperately need your advice!

    My big question of the moment is (big surprise) WHERE to camp.

    I already read the great tips about Wildhorse, I'll definitely be considering that.

    What are the pros/cons of Wanapum? Also, the official "Gorge Campground" will not take reservations until the concert has been officially announced, is that correct?

    I read that the Gorge Campground does "not sell out". Does that mean it's going to be ridiculously jam-packed, or is it fairly comfortable?

    I also thought I read about a "premium" camp site option that offered a bit more privacy and early admission to the lawn. Any thoughts on that?

    Sorry for the barrage of questions! I'm celebrating my 30th birthday with this concert and want to make sure I do it "right". Thanks for all the tips!
    I think that most of us here will wholeheartedly recommend Wildhorse. As far as I know, Gorge doesn't really sell out... they just cram people in there. I don't know how comfortable it will be. I have heard about the premium Gorge campsites, I think there may be some other perks, but I'm not too clear. There may be more info on the Toupstown site. But here's what you need to know about Wildhorse: FREE hot showers, Honey Buckets (porta-potties) that are emptied on a regular basis, the Corral Cafe (WILDBURGER!), and good people!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by On Bended Knees View Post
    jesus christ, damn place is in the middle of no where. so what, does every one rent cars then from the airport to the gorge? what does that end up running?
    A lot of people will carpool, but yes, you wind up renting cars or RVs. There are so many ways to get discounts on cars that it's hard to pin down a price. I was looking at discounts through BJ's (wholesale club) and seeing rates around $200 for Thurs-Tues, with a number of different companies. You can also try Priceline. One way to save money is to rent from an off-site location. We rented through Enterprise, and the fact that they pick you up is a big help. We got in late on Wednesday, and Enterprise picked us up Thurs AM at our hotel. They can't pick up/drop off at the airport, but if you get a close enough location, they CAN pick up/drop off at an airport hotel. Going off-site probably won't help you much if you wind up taking a cab, though.
    __________________
    Original Member of the SPAC '04 Thread! -- where it all began
    Gorge '07 Monkey Brigade - Toupstown Commissioner of All Things Travel-Related (07-08)
    2014: SPAC & the Sunshine State
    my taping | my coverart | my shows
    newscane is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2009, 01:33 AM   #127
    ExperienceJones
    Go Cougs!
     
    ExperienceJones's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2002
    Location: Seattle, WA
    Posts: 8,292

    Shows Seen: 46

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jennie75 View Post
    www.toupstown.com for all your gorge, vegas and spac questions....

    yes, its in the middle of no where...is it worth it? fuck yeah it is! right cody??
    favorite weekend of the year, easily
    __________________
    Cody
    My Shows
    Gorgin' since 2001
    ExperienceJones is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2009, 11:01 AM   #128
    Rain Dog
     
    Rain Dog's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2009
    Posts: 30

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    Thanks for the feedback folks! And especially for that toupstown link, I should have visited that site ages ago. Very helpful. I think Wild Horse is my best bet. I love the free shuttle option, and it looks to be a little more comfortable than the Gorge campground.

    Would you recommend booking it now, even though the show hasn't been officially announced?
    Rain Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #129
    jesspc
    I am a Duck!
     
    jesspc's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2003
    Location: The bottom of whiskey ocean
    Posts: 7,392

    Shows Seen: 59
    Send a message via AIM to jesspc

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by canes101190 View Post
    I'm actually driving from Portland..meeting a buddy there who goes to University of Portland and we're taking his car up..I'm assuming it's a little bit longer but will definitely save us money on renting a car
    Even though it's longer I like the drive from Portland way better since most of it is through the Gorge. One of the most entertaining 5 hour drives you'll ever take.
    __________________
    riDUCKulous
    jesspc is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #130
    AZFish
    AfricanWhiteSpaceChrist
     
    AZFish's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2008
    Location: Denver, CO
    Posts: 372

    Shows Seen: 81

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rain Dog View Post
    Thanks for the feedback folks! And especially for that toupstown link, I should have visited that site ages ago. Very helpful. I think Wild Horse is my best bet. I love the free shuttle option, and it looks to be a little more comfortable than the Gorge campground.

    Would you recommend booking it now, even though the show hasn't been officially announced?
    I'd book now as it's sure to fill up fast. Scott, the owner, said that those reservations would accomodate the DMB dates in the event that got moved a week up or back.
    AZFish is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2009, 04:43 PM   #131
    Point202
    Frankly my dear...
     
    Point202's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2006
    Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts: 5,663

    Shows Seen: 59
    Send a message via AIM to Point202 Send a message via Yahoo to Point202

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AZFish View Post
    I'd book now as it's sure to fill up fast. Scott, the owner, said that those reservations would accomodate the DMB dates in the event that got moved a week up or back.
    Thanks for the advice! Is there someway that we should indicate to them that we're with the Ants crowd?
    __________________
    ~ Amy S... ~
    Summer
    2018: Starlake, Blossom, Toronto, Ottawa
    Point202 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #132
    dmbgrl22
    FLY EAGLES FLY!!!!
     
    dmbgrl22's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Philadelphia, PA
    Posts: 5,770

    Shows Seen: 67
    Send a message via AIM to dmbgrl22 Send a message via MSN to dmbgrl22 Send a message via Yahoo to dmbgrl22

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    Are we there yet?
    __________________
    ~Kimmy~


    dmbgrl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2009, 06:46 PM   #133
    bustdstuff
    Dimples Rules!!!!
     
    bustdstuff's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Location: Toupstown, USA 13641
    Posts: 9,581

    Shows Seen: 50
    Send a message via AIM to bustdstuff

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbgrl22 View Post
    Are we there yet?


    I wish I were going this year.
    __________________
    - Stephanie


    My pics.
    My Show Stats

    Co-Commisioner of Bogarting
    Commisioner of All Things Monkey Lovin'
    bustdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2009, 07:08 PM   #134
    dmbgrl22
    FLY EAGLES FLY!!!!
     
    dmbgrl22's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Philadelphia, PA
    Posts: 5,770

    Shows Seen: 67
    Send a message via AIM to dmbgrl22 Send a message via MSN to dmbgrl22 Send a message via Yahoo to dmbgrl22

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bustdstuff View Post


    I wish I were going this year.
    and why wouldn't you???

    oh PS.....If the birds go, Jolynn, jason and I are driving down to Tampa for Super Bowl...staying at Alicia's casa..you going to be around to watch the big game? We are going to party on Sat and Sunday..leave on Monday morning!
    __________________
    ~Kimmy~


    dmbgrl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2009, 07:10 PM   #135
    bustdstuff
    Dimples Rules!!!!
     
    bustdstuff's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Location: Toupstown, USA 13641
    Posts: 9,581

    Shows Seen: 50
    Send a message via AIM to bustdstuff

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbgrl22 View Post
    and why wouldn't you???

    oh PS.....If the birds go, Jolynn, jason and I are driving down to Tampa for Super Bowl...staying at Alicia's casa..you going to be around to watch the big game? We are going to party on Sat and Sunday..leave on Monday morning!
    Because I'm taking Matt to Vegas. So, that's going to be the big trip for the year. I still hope to make it to SPAC though. And, uh yeah. I could be convinced to take a Saturday off to party with all of you.
    __________________
    - Stephanie


    My pics.
    My Show Stats

    Co-Commisioner of Bogarting
    Commisioner of All Things Monkey Lovin'
    bustdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2009, 08:55 PM   #136
    lizzardsauce
     
    lizzardsauce's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2004
    Posts: 2,799

    Shows Seen: 17

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    My Mom scheduled her wedding on ... wait for it ... Labor Day. So no DMBGorge-ing for me.
    lizzardsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2009, 12:13 AM   #137
    canes101190
    No Worries
     
    canes101190's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts: 34,353

    Shows Seen: 45

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExperienceJones View Post
    Yeah its probably closer to a 5-6 hour drive from Portland
    I should quote the 4ish one but whatever..yeah thats about what I expected..shouldn't be too bad..thanks for the help

    Also just a sidenote for anyone out there..I'm watching the Gorge 02 DVD to get me pumped up for the Gorge weekend in 09 and does anyone know the dude in the yellow floppy hat and sixers jersey who is in the cameras shot like 8 times throughout the whole thing..he looks like he has to be on ants somewhere he looks pretty hardcore..anyway that guy is the man and he gets a Carter drumstick which is badass..he's jammin to Halloween right now
    canes101190 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2009, 12:33 AM   #138
    On Bended Knees
    Hey Now
     
    Join Date: Sep 2006
    Location: NYC
    Posts: 3,673

    Shows Seen: 63

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    ok, im going to the gorge with my brother, first time there. ive never camped before either. i have some questions.

    obviously i need a tent. any suggestions? and obviously a sleeping bag. am i forgetting anything?

    what do you guys do for food? bring a grill and bbq? what about beer and shit? bring a bunch of ice and coolers? obviously im doing not going to do that if im flying from NYC.

    someone please explain to me everything i need to know about all of this shit. do you leave the site everyday to get what you need?
    On Bended Knees is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2009, 12:35 AM   #139
    canes101190
    No Worries
     
    canes101190's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts: 34,353

    Shows Seen: 45

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by On Bended Knees View Post
    ok, im going to the gorge with my brother, first time there. ive never camped before either. i have some questions.

    obviously i need a tent. any suggestions? and obviously a sleeping bag. am i forgetting anything?

    what do you guys do for food? bring a grill and bbq? what about beer and shit? bring a bunch of ice and coolers? obviously im doing not going to do that if im flying from NYC.

    someone please explain to me everything i need to know about all of this shit. do you leave the site everyday to get what you need?
    Yeah I'm with him....need like a checklist or something to go over and make sure I have everything..plus any inside information that you regular gorge-ers can share with us
    canes101190 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2009, 01:08 AM   #140
    newscane
    It's all about the..
     
    newscane's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2002
    Location: The Skybox, Toupstown, USA
    Posts: 12,194

    Shows Seen: 72

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by canes101190 View Post
    Yeah I'm with him....need like a checklist or something to go over and make sure I have everything..plus any inside information that you regular gorge-ers can share with us
    toupstown.com for your camping checklist...
    __________________
    Original Member of the SPAC '04 Thread! -- where it all began
    Gorge '07 Monkey Brigade - Toupstown Commissioner of All Things Travel-Related (07-08)
    2014: SPAC & the Sunshine State
    my taping | my coverart | my shows
    newscane is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2009, 01:47 AM   #141
    On Bended Knees
    Hey Now
     
    Join Date: Sep 2006
    Location: NYC
    Posts: 3,673

    Shows Seen: 63

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    so basically, if you are flying from NY to go to the gorge, on you're way to the gorge from the airport you need to stop and buy a cooler, grill, and etc etc, because obviously im not bringing that stuff on the plane. correct?
    On Bended Knees is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2009, 01:47 AM   #142
    On Bended Knees
    Hey Now
     
    Join Date: Sep 2006
    Location: NYC
    Posts: 3,673

    Shows Seen: 63

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    if at any point during the weekend i have a need to drive off the campground, leaving my tent there obviously, to drive into civilization, is this an option
    On Bended Knees is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2009, 03:05 AM   #143
    groton
    true Grit
     
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: Groton Ct
    Posts: 53,035

    Shows Seen: 60
    Send a message via AIM to groton

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by On Bended Knees View Post
    if at any point during the weekend i have a need to drive off the campground, leaving my tent there obviously, to drive into civilization, is this an option

    where are you planning on staying at?

    if it's at wildhorse really you won't need the Grill.

    as for Ice they have ice at the gate at Wildhorse.

    yes you can leave the campsite and at least wildhorse your Tent will be good. now I would not suggest leaving importent stuff in your tent aka money or your tickets but Wildhorse is a pretty safe spot been there the past two years with no problems.
    groton is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2009, 03:18 AM   #144
    On Bended Knees
    Hey Now
     
    Join Date: Sep 2006
    Location: NYC
    Posts: 3,673

    Shows Seen: 63

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groton View Post
    where are you planning on staying at?

    if it's at wildhorse really you won't need the Grill.

    as for Ice they have ice at the gate at Wildhorse.

    yes you can leave the campsite and at least wildhorse your Tent will be good. now I would not suggest leaving importent stuff in your tent aka money or your tickets but Wildhorse is a pretty safe spot been there the past two years with no problems.
    yea, wildhorse. why wouldnt i need a grill? they sell food?
    On Bended Knees is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2009, 03:50 AM   #145
    groton
    true Grit
     
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: Groton Ct
    Posts: 53,035

    Shows Seen: 60
    Send a message via AIM to groton

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by On Bended Knees View Post
    yea, wildhorse. why wouldnt i need a grill? they sell food?
    Yes, Wildhorse has a Cafe thats real well priced. Breakfast,Lunch,Dinner and aftershow latenight Menu .

    there Wildhorse Burger is to die for.

    one of the best burgers I've ever eaten.
    groton is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2009, 03:54 AM   #146
    groton
    true Grit
     
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: Groton Ct
    Posts: 53,035

    Shows Seen: 60
    Send a message via AIM to groton

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    also what a couple did this past year was pack a locker and a big duffel bag with there gear. then they shipped it ground to the hotel they they stayed the Wed night before Gorge.

    that way when they flew out they only took on the plane clothes and some small itams.
    everything else was out there already. they did buy a cheap cooler.

    anouther trick is to use your cooler as your checked luggage
    groton is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2009, 03:55 AM   #147
    On Bended Knees
    Hey Now
     
    Join Date: Sep 2006
    Location: NYC
    Posts: 3,673

    Shows Seen: 63

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groton View Post
    Yes, Wildhorse has a Cafe thats real well priced. Breakfast,Lunch,Dinner and aftershow latenight Menu .

    there Wildhorse Burger is to die for.

    one of the best burgers I've ever eaten.
    fantastic, sounds good. ballpark figure, how many people would you say stay at wildhorse during the weekend?
    On Bended Knees is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2009, 03:57 AM   #148
    groton
    true Grit
     
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: Groton Ct
    Posts: 53,035

    Shows Seen: 60
    Send a message via AIM to groton

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by On Bended Knees View Post
    fantastic, sounds good. ballpark figure, how many people would you say stay at wildhorse during the weekend?
    between 500 and 1000. something like 200 spots. I think is what they have.

    but really there is plenty of open space and you don't feel like your suffocating
    groton is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2009, 05:57 PM   #149
    Yankees36
    The Gator Nation
     
    Yankees36's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Location: Orlando
    Posts: 2,162

    Shows Seen: 42

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    Can someone give me a some good info on the Groge VIP camping?? Thanks..
    __________________
    B-Rad
    Yankees36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #150
    Point202
    Frankly my dear...
     
    Point202's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2006
    Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts: 5,663

    Shows Seen: 59
    Send a message via AIM to Point202 Send a message via Yahoo to Point202

    Re: ***Gorge 2009***

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groton View Post
    also what a couple did this past year was pack a locker and a big duffel bag with there gear. then they shipped it ground to the hotel they they stayed the Wed night before Gorge.

    that way when they flew out they only took on the plane clothes and some small itams.
    everything else was out there already. they did buy a cheap cooler.

    anouther trick is to use your cooler as your checked luggage
    Good tips! I like the idea of shipping stuff out early... I am the person with the luck such that my luggage would be the one to get lost and I would have no camping gear...
    __________________
    ~ Amy S... ~
    Summer
    2018: Starlake, Blossom, Toronto, Ottawa

    Last edited by Point202; 01-14-2009 at 07:08 PM.
    Point202 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Tags
    gorge, summer 2009

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:08 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Privacy Policy
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Ants Facebook
    Ants Instagram
    Matt's Twitter
    Joe's Twitter