The Home Theater Thread - Page 31 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 02-12-2019, 02:22 PM   #901
Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Home Theater Thread

I'm about halfway through my 4K blu-rays now. So far all of my movie rips add up to about 9 terabytes. The 24 UHD 4K rips I have done so far add up to about 1.5 TB. The tricky part with the 4K rips is getting Dolby Vision to work. HDR10 and Atmos work just fine through normal playback methods, but my Oppo blu-ray player can only read the Dolby Vision if it's shared over the network via SMB/NFS or if it's reading the rip from a USB drive. So I'm still working on getting all that sorted out.

Plex can stream all the way through Dolby Atmos I believe. It's usually the streaming device that is hosting the Plex app that has the limitations. My Amazon Fire streaming devices won't play the lossless audio tracks. It downgrades them to the core audio track. I think basically only the Nvidia Shield can really play the Atmos and other lossless tracks through Plex, maybe there is another one, but I know all of the AV enthusiasts use the Nvidia Shield. If I want the lossless audio, then I just play everything through my Oppo. Works great, just doesn't have the pretty navigation system to browse the movies. It's folder structure only through the Oppo.
Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-18-2019, 01:42 PM   #902
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

dobes, need your help... just got the Roku 49S405 for a Christmas gift from my MIL, over the past week or so I’ve noticed very very faint horizontal bars scrolling up the TV. You can barely notice it, somebody coming into my house to watch my TV wouldn’t even notice it’s there, but I do because I saw it now I can’t unsee it.

Do you know what it is? Is the TV defective? I’ve read online it could be an electrical problem or interference, but there’s nothing plugged into it besides a LAN cable and it’s own power cable.

Any ideas?
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-18-2019, 03:43 PM   #903
    CrAzyEasy223

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    dobes, need your help... just got the Roku 49S405 for a Christmas gift from my MIL, over the past week or so I’ve noticed very very faint horizontal bars scrolling up the TV. You can barely notice it, somebody coming into my house to watch my TV wouldn’t even notice it’s there, but I do because I saw it now I can’t unsee it.

Do you know what it is? Is the TV defective? I’ve read online it could be an electrical problem or interference, but there’s nothing plugged into it besides a LAN cable and it’s own power cable.

Any ideas?
    There could be a couple different defects that are causing this issue. It is most likely a bad panel though. Since you just got the TV in December, it should still be under the manufacturer's warranty and they should replace it for you. I would not settle for anything less. A TV that is not even three months old should not be experiencing those issues. I would contact TCL support and see what they can do to help you. They will probably have you run through a series of troubleshooting steps to verify the issue. Be sure to have model and serial number available when you call. Will also be helpful if you have a picture you can share with them clearly showing the lines you are talking about.
    Old 02-18-2019, 05:42 PM   #904
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Any ideas?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrAzyEasy223 View Post
    There could be a couple different defects that are causing this issue. It is most likely a bad panel though. Since you just got the TV in December, it should still be under the manufacturer's warranty and they should replace it for you. I would not settle for anything less. A TV that is not even three months old should not be experiencing those issues. I would contact TCL support and see what they can do to help you. They will probably have you run through a series of troubleshooting steps to verify the issue. Be sure to have model and serial number available when you call. Will also be helpful if you have a picture you can share with them clearly showing the lines you are talking about.
    Sounds like a refresh issue. No modern item should be causing interference.
    unccrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #905
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Did you try adjusting the tracking? We're talking VHS right?

Yeah, I'd get the panel replaced while it's still brand new but if you have another panel somewhere close you can always try hooking that up first to see if the issue persists. If it does, you've ruled out the panel without lugging it back to the store.
    Old 02-20-2019, 01:27 PM   #906
    dinkyvision

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Any ideas?
    Sounds like it could be a “dirty” power issue. Are there any heavy duty electric devices running while you have seen the issue? Refrigerator, microwave, other appliancess? A power conditioner (surge strip) May help. Our house is older & any appliances that are running really messes with our TVs. I put clean power filters on all of our TVs years ago & it solved the problems. We can turn on our dyson vacuum without any interference on the monitors.

Last edited by dinkyvision; 02-20-2019 at 01:29 PM.
    dinkyvision is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-20-2019, 03:29 PM   #907
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

My Tour Central Stats

we bought a new house last month and with the snow day today I finally got my 5.1 set up in my basement. my god I forgot how much I absolutely hate speaker wire. my fingers are ripped up from the snipping and pulling the plastic
    Old 02-21-2019, 06:38 AM   #908
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

The worst. I did mine for the Ants special when we moved in 3 years ago and haven't touched it since.
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-21-2019, 08:21 AM   #909
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    we bought a new house last month and with the snow day today I finally got my 5.1 set up in my basement. my god I forgot how much I absolutely hate speaker wire. my fingers are ripped up from the snipping and pulling the plastic
    I'm confused. Are you using a wire stripper? Stripping speaker wire has been really easy in my experience.

https://www.amazon.com/MulWark-Multi...7-123a1eed263d
    Old 02-21-2019, 03:49 PM   #910
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    I'm confused. Are you using a wire stripper? Stripping speaker wire has been really easy in my experience.

https://www.amazon.com/MulWark-Multi...7-123a1eed263d
    no a scissors very carefully. It fucking sucked. Toward the end I tore a chunk of my thumb nail off trying to pull the plastic off
    Old 02-22-2019, 08:51 AM   #911
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    no a scissors very carefully. It fucking sucked. Toward the end I tore a chunk of my thumb nail off trying to pull the plastic off
    OMG, seriously, get a wire stripper. It's a piece of cake with one and they are cheap.
    Old 02-22-2019, 09:09 AM   #912
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Speaking of speaker wire, I was stripping some Rocket fish 16 GA and every single time while stripping I can nicking a couple of the strands ( even using a hire GA setting. is nicking a couple of strands extremely detrimental to the audio quality?
    Old 02-22-2019, 09:33 AM   #913
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DIDriveOut2SPAC View Post
    Speaking of speaker wire, I was stripping some Rocket fish 16 GA and every single time while stripping I can nicking a couple of the strands ( even using a hire GA setting. is nicking a couple of strands extremely detrimental to the audio quality?
    Probably not, but depends on the cable length. Assuming you're using a normal cable length (say 15 feet or less), then you'll probably be fine.
    Old 02-22-2019, 11:25 AM   #914
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Probably not, but depends on the cable length. Assuming you're using a normal cable length (say 15 feet or less), then you'll probably be fine.
    Thanks!

Another question... I have a Denon 1912 AVR (hand me down) and a Samsung 55 7000series 4k TV.

Is this thing suitable for HDR and 4k (PlayStation pro and mi box) going through the AVR or should I send all my HDMI up to the TV and optical audio down to the receiver and out to my 3.1 setup?

I am not to well versed in home theatre as you may have noticed.
    Old 02-22-2019, 11:34 AM   #915
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DIDriveOut2SPAC View Post
    Thanks!

Another question... I have a Denon 1912 AVR (hand me down) and a Samsung 55 7000series 4k TV.

Is this thing suitable for HDR and 4k (PlayStation pro and mi box) going through the AVR or should I send all my HDMI up to the TV and optical audio down to the receiver and out to my 3.1 setup?

I am not to well versed in home theatre as you may have noticed.
    It looks like that receiver is not 4K compatible, so you'll need to connect your video sources directly up to the TV if you want 4K and HDR.
    Old 02-22-2019, 11:35 AM   #916
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

No, that receiver doesn't look like it supports 4k. So you're going to have to do all video through the HDMI to the TV and then sound through the optical.
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2019, 12:09 PM   #917
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It looks like that receiver is not 4K compatible, so you'll need to connect your video sources directly up to the TV if you want 4K and HDR.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ascf33 View Post
    No, that receiver doesn't look like it supports 4k. So you're going to have to do all video through the HDMI to the TV and then sound through the optical.
    Figured as much. Thanks Guys!
    Old 02-22-2019, 02:46 PM   #918
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    OMG, seriously, get a wire stripper. It's a piece of cake with one and they are cheap.
    yeah I'm pretty dumb for not having looked into one first. And I definitely cut a few wire strands along the way
    Old 03-02-2019, 08:03 AM   #919
    Mickey Carson

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Finally getting a new TV after watching the recent price drops on '18 LG OLED models. Decided to go with the Costco deal that expires today. Picked up a 65" C8 for $1929 with a 7-year warranty

Looking forward to pairing the OLED with the Sony X800M2 when it comes out in a couple months.

Next step will be finally adding Atmos...
    Mickey Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-02-2019, 09:16 AM   #920
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

Shows Seen: 179

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Welcome to the OLED crew! I have had the same one for 5 month now.

It’s awesome
    Old 03-07-2019, 01:28 PM   #921
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mickey Carson View Post
    Finally getting a new TV after watching the recent price drops on '18 LG OLED models. Decided to go with the Costco deal that expires today. Picked up a 65" C8 for $1929 with a 7-year warranty

Looking forward to pairing the OLED with the Sony X800M2 when it comes out in a couple months.

Next step will be finally adding Atmos...
    Nice, I have the 77" version and love it. I saw Best Buy also had some crazy good deals on the 65" version recently, like $1800 or something. I was almost tempted to pick it up just because it was such a good deal!
    Old 03-07-2019, 03:07 PM   #922
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

My Tour Central Stats

Through greentoe / chase price match I got my 65 inch C8 for $1799 no tax in August.
    Old 03-08-2019, 07:20 AM   #923
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

My Atmos renovation is still likely 12+ months away so I'm gonna fork out CDN$175 for a set of the Pioneer Andrew Jones Atmos speakers that sit on your towers and reflect off the roof. Fuck it, I need the extra "atmos"phere and from everything I've read, while it won't compare to ceiling speakers, it will at least scratch the itch a little for very little investment.

So I'll have a 5.2.2 set-up. I was thinking I could get two pair and put the other pair on my rear towers for a 5.2.4 set-up by my AVR is only 9.2CH so I'd have to figure out additional amplification either for my main fronts or for my Paradigm towers in Zone 2. That requires additional expense so for now I'll try just a single pair.

Hopefully have an ISF calibrator from AVS (Canadian Mike Osaidcew) coming next week to calibrate my gorgeous Panasonic 65" OLED.
    Old 03-08-2019, 07:54 AM   #924
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

My Tour Central Stats

I really want to have someone do calibration. If you do not might me asking what does someone like that run for calibration. On AVS I think I had reached out to D-Nice at some point for his calendar/schedule but nothing came of it.

I am running 5.1.2 with 2 overheads and everything Polk Audio.
    Old 03-08-2019, 09:07 AM   #925
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

I've been trying to get my 77" C8 calibrated since last July with no luck. D-Nice strung me along with regular schedules and cancellations until November before he finally stopped responding. I signed up on Chad B's website in November and am still waiting for him to decide to come through my way.

They run about $400 from what I understand.
    Old 03-08-2019, 10:35 AM   #926
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

That's pretty shitty - you should attend the HDTV shootout this year and during question period stand up, list all the dates of communications and then end with "why did you stop responding and never complete the promised calibration" - tens of thousands of videophiles watching live online.

That shit don't sit right with me. You're great at what you do, and he's a really nice guy too as I've met him twice at Value Electronics, but come on man, do your gig!
    Old 03-09-2019, 12:55 PM   #927
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    That's pretty shitty - you should attend the HDTV shootout this year and during question period stand up, list all the dates of communications and then end with "why did you stop responding and never complete the promised calibration" - tens of thousands of videophiles watching live online.

That shit don't sit right with me. You're great at what you do, and he's a really nice guy too as I've met him twice at Value Electronics, but come on man, do your gig!
    Yeah, it's been annoying. Luckily the C8 looks pretty great with only a few minor tweaks, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on a ton.
    Old 03-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #928
    Dave&Tim41

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Still loving my Sony DH-590 receiver. Currently have it hooked up to two Polk bookshelf speakers and a Polk center channel. Sweet sounding, can't wait to get the floor standing speakers one day.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Julia Roberts View Post
    I listened to TGIY the whole way through once. It was a bad experience and I wouldn’t recommend anyone else do it. Same goes for deep fried Twinkies.
    Dave&Tim41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #929
    drakan
    Drums!

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

I have two Pioneer floor standing 10s that are 20 years old.
    drakan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-21-2019, 01:47 PM   #930
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Hey Doby, have you seen this Bass EQ stuff on AVS? It's...awesome. Basically, they figured out how to recover the lost low end sound in movies that the studios filtered out when they mastered them. I already had all of the equipment I needed to use it, so getting it setup for me was really easy and I can say that it definitely makes a difference. The only cumbersome part is that each movie is unique, so the EQ settings for every movie are different. The EQ settings need to be loaded before each movie and then returned back to normal after the movie is done so you don't accidentally watch something with the bass jacked up beyond what it should be safely. Anyway, for people who like bass, this is a must in my opinion.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...ed-movies.html