College Baseball - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion > The Tailgate
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #121
GSUdawg521
hbtd

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: College Baseball

I worked straight through my shift today without taking a break so I could get off at 6:30 to see the start of the game and then BAM, weather delay

Go Dawgs!
GSUdawg521 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #122
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

My Tour Central Stats

Terrible display tonight. Nothing went right. I can't believe we can't do better against their "awful" bullpen and ours is fucking it up so bad.

Hopefully the loss puts it into perspective and they say okay winning 5 straight was a tough feat to go for. Let's go out and finish it now, and put this cinderella story bullshit to rest.

i have to hear that god damn reference 10 more times tomorrow im gonna shit
    Old 06-24-2008, 08:22 PM   #123
    newscane
    It's all about the..

Shows Seen: 85

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GSUdawg521 View Post
    Terrible display tonight. Nothing went right. I can't believe we can't do better against their "awful" bullpen and ours is fucking it up so bad.

Hopefully the loss puts it into perspective and they say okay winning 5 straight was a tough feat to go for. Let's go out and finish it now, and put this cinderella story bullshit to rest.

i have to hear that god damn reference 10 more times tomorrow im gonna shit
    Now you know how Miami fans feel about the clip of the 1996 LSU home run that won the CWS for them...
    my taping | my coverart | my shows
    newscane is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #124
    UNLTrpt
    Go B1G Red!

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Well in the football national championship fresno state missed two extra points but it didn't matter...

*pssssssssssst* dan...they're playing baseball

What the fuck? You serious?

Ok then.

It looked like the clock was going to strike twelve on cinderella early on, Georgia jumped out on top of Fresno State 5-0 early on. But then Fresno State broke out the Playstation 3 and started scoring faster than Jenna Jameson.

19-10 was the final. And that sets up game 3 tomorrow for the whole shebang. Georgia will collect their 2nd national title in baseball in school history or Fresno State will collect their 2nd national title in their athletic departments history. The only other one was softball in 1998.

No. 8 Georgia (45-24-1) vs. Fresno State (46-31), 7 p.m., (ESPN/ESPN360)
    UNLTrpt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #125
    JRod1229
    GATA!

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Go Dawgs! Please put that shit behind you

Quote:
    There ain't nothing like being a bulldog on a Saturday Night... after winning a football game. I mean like whipping Tennessee's ass to start with, then ten more, then another one. This is the Game Plan. We have no alternative plan.
    - The legendary Erk Russell
    JRod1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-25-2008, 07:09 PM   #126
    UNLTrpt
    Go B1G Red!

My Tour Central Stats

And there you have it!

Your 2008 College baseball champions are the...

FRESNO STATE BULLDOGS!

The cinderella story is complete. Fresno State, the #4 seed in their regional has gone all the way, done the impossible and won baseballs national championship. It is the first time that a team lower than the top 48 teams has reached a final in any NCAA event.

Georgia will see Steve Detwiler in their nightmares. Detwiler homered twice and doubled, and singled. 6 RBI's. He was responsible for every one of Fresno States runs.

In my opinion I thought there would be no winner more unlikely than Oregon State the past two years but this trumps it ten fold.

Folks to get perspective, there are 16 #4 seeds in a regional. So technically these are the 16 lowest rated teams in the tournament. If you want to compare this to the Big Dance...its like 13 seed OR LOWER winning the NCAA tournament. George Mason was an 11 seed in the 2006 tournament. And they only made it to the national semifinals.

Congrats to both Bulldog teams. Georgia had a magical run of their own getting past Miami, Florida State and Stanford in their bracket. In the end, they are not the better bulldog on this day.
    Old 06-25-2008, 07:15 PM   #127
    FunkyTeaParty

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

That was unreal.......
    FunkyTeaParty is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-25-2008, 07:22 PM   #128
    joepsu0985
    Let's Go Pens

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

What a tournament. I'm not expert on college baseball, but I watch the tournament and the super regionals. This has been very entertaining.
    Old 06-25-2008, 07:30 PM   #129
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

My Tour Central Stats

Fuck. They deserve it though, they really played their asses off.

Isn't that just about the story of Georgia sports this year though?

Football: a great end of a season and just barely missed getting into the NC (though we did whip up on a different WAC team, winning the Sugar Bowl)

Basketball: terrible season finished out by winning the SEC tournament and appearing in the NCAA, though leaving early

Baseball: not a great season followed by a great run to get to the CWS, and a few great late comebacks to go undefeated all the way until the final.
    Old 06-25-2008, 09:22 PM   #130
    JRod1229
    GATA!

Shows Seen: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I give all the credit to Fresno... they just played really strong ball today.. I don't believe they are the better team, but there is nothing I can do about that... congrats to them

I have a MAJOR gripe with ESPN (as always) I mean, can you suck the dick of Fresno anymore? That was painful to listen to.. I felt I was watching an tOSU or Duke game.. anybody else with me on this? All the good stuff said was about Fresno, UGA just happened to be there.. not that they were 4-0 in elimination games prior to that or anything.. just made me sick... I realize it was a big Cinderella... but we beat a bunch of teams we weren't supposed to as well

Quote:
    There ain't nothing like being a bulldog on a Saturday Night... after winning a football game. I mean like whipping Tennessee's ass to start with, then ten more, then another one. This is the Game Plan. We have no alternative plan.
    - The legendary Erk Russell
    JRod1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-25-2008, 09:40 PM   #131
    UNLTrpt
    Go B1G Red!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRod1229 View Post
    I give all the credit to Fresno... they just played really strong ball today.. I don't believe they are the better team, but there is nothing I can do about that... congrats to them

I have a MAJOR gripe with ESPN (as always) I mean, can you suck the dick of Fresno anymore? That was painful to listen to.. I felt I was watching an tOSU or Duke game.. anybody else with me on this? All the good stuff said was about Fresno, UGA just happened to be there.. not that they were 4-0 in elimination games prior to that or anything.. just made me sick... I realize it was a big Cinderella... but we beat a bunch of teams we weren't supposed to as well
    come on man. This has passed anything anybody has ever done in NCAA competition. Of course they're going to prop up Fresno State. I don't know why you expected anything else? They were ahead the whole game, they're the cinderella story of the tournament. Of course if Georgia wins its a good story and they would have gotten the praise that they would have deserved. Fresno State was the better story that trumped Georgia's. That's all. Sports is about telling a story and Fresno State had/has a great story to tell.
    Old 06-26-2008, 07:39 AM   #132
    FunkyTeaParty

Shows Seen: 34

My Tour Central Stats

I had no dog in the fight (sorry), but I felt like it was a little repetitive. I understand, appreciate and fully enjoyed the Fresno State story, but it was like the commentary was on a loop.

Lowest seed, missing ligament over and over again. I could imagine if I was a Georgia guy I would want to put my fist through the TV.

One thing they could have mentioned was the Fresno pitching coach coming out of retirement for one year and then being a part of this amazing ride. They touched on it earlier in the series, but didn't say much about it last night.

Also, they couldn't show that one Georgia player's wife enough for me. Holy moley.
    FunkyTeaParty is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #133
    UNLTrpt
    Go B1G Red!

My Tour Central Stats

The season opens up on Friday for Nebraska as they travel to Louisiana-Lafayette.

Baseball America preseason Top 25
    Quote:
    1. Texas A&M
    2. Louisiana State
    3. North Carolina
    4. Texas
    5. Cal State Fullerton
    6. Mississippi
    7. Rice
    8. Baylor
    9. UC Irvine
    10. Missouri
    11. San Diego
    12. UCLA
    13. Arizona State
    14. Georgia
    15. Stanford
    16. Oklahoma
    17. Pepperdine
    18. Kent State
    19. Clemson
    20. Georgia Tech
    21. Alabama
    22. Arkansas
    23. Louisville
    24. Florida State
    25. Oregon State
    Big 12 has a potential to be brutal this year. 4 teams in the preseason top 10?!!?

Nebraska has very little coming back on hill this year so obviously our preseason expectations are low this year (7th in the preseason B12 poll)

For all you college baseball fans, it might be a good time to plan a trip to Omaha soon. Rosenblatt has two more years in it before the series moves to a downtown location. Its in Omaha, but it won't have the same feel. If you've always watched the CWS on TV and dreamed of going this year and next year would be the best.
    Old 02-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #134
    sully51
    Hook 'Em

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I'm excited for baseball season to start ramping up, best thing about the spring semester! And I know a kid on the team this year, he's a year younger than me but we played together for a year in highschool. He said he may get some playing time in the outfield as a freshman this year.
    He was recruited heavily by UT his senior season when he was, and this is not BS, hitting over .700. Great contact hitter, and he's a good runner, lots of speed

Probably won't catch any of the games this weekend, but next week when my schedule eases up a bit I'll be sure to catch one or two

Last edited by sully51; 02-18-2009 at 01:31 PM.
    sully51 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-20-2009, 05:56 PM   #135
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

University of Oregon played our first baseball game in 28 years today, and we won 5-3 against St. Marys. This is a team that in 3 years will be a contender. Ranked the second best recruiting class, and coached by George Horton, who has a couple rings himself. First home games next weekend.
    Will in time both outpace and outlive you, Hail Satan!
    thestand is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-20-2009, 06:03 PM   #136
    HolyCow
    Cubs Win!

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

OU should be good, but you never know with Sunny Golloway. I'm not sold on him.
    Old 02-27-2009, 06:31 PM   #137
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Just had our home opener and beat defending champs Fresno State 1-0, with a walkoff single.
    Old 02-27-2009, 10:56 PM   #138
    UNLTrpt
    Go B1G Red!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thestand View Post
    University of Oregon played our first baseball game in 28 years today, and we won 5-3 against St. Marys. This is a team that in 3 years will be a contender. Ranked the second best recruiting class, and coached by George Horton, who has a couple rings himself. First home games next weekend.
    Quote:
    Just had our home opener and beat defending champs Fresno State 1-0, with a walkoff single.

thats pretty cool man. Its refreshing to see programs adding baseball these days. A lot of athletic departments are deciding to axe it these days.
    Old 02-27-2009, 11:01 PM   #139
    UNLTrpt
    Go B1G Red!

My Tour Central Stats

although I'm sure Oregon State's success had a TAD bit to do with Oregon adding baseball.

Oh man...I just had a frightening thought...what are Oregon's baseball uniforms going to look like after Nike gets a hold of them. *shudder*
    Old 02-27-2009, 11:21 PM   #140
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UNLTrpt View Post
    although I'm sure Oregon State's success had a TAD bit to do with Oregon adding baseball.

Oh man...I just had a frightening thought...what are Oregon's baseball uniforms going to look like after Nike gets a hold of them. *shudder*
    Oh, definitely. We owe a lot to the Beavers for getting our team reinstated. Also, there's a very real chance that Portland gets an MLB team in the next decade or so, so baseball on the whole is on the rise in the state.

And actually, our uni's are Nike (everything is Nike: the stadium is a lot of Nike money, all of our equipment is Nike, all of our players use Nike bats). So, at least at this point, it looks like Uncle Phil didn't go overboard with the unis.
    Old 02-27-2009, 11:32 PM   #141
    Matt83
    #11 (The Quirk)

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Also, there's a very real chance that Portland gets an MLB team in the next decade or so, so baseball on the whole is on the rise in the state.
    When did that rumor mill start again?
    Matt83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-27-2009, 11:33 PM   #142
    devilandthelord
    WFT

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Ping!
    devilandthelord is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-27-2009, 11:36 PM   #143
    UNLTrpt
    Go B1G Red!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Oh, definitely. We owe a lot to the Beavers for getting our team reinstated. Also, there's a very real chance that Portland gets an MLB team in the next decade or so, so baseball on the whole is on the rise in the state.

And actually, our uni's are Nike (everything is Nike: the stadium is a lot of Nike money, all of our equipment is Nike, all of our players use Nike bats). So, at least at this point, it looks like Uncle Phil didn't go overboard with the unis...yet
    fixed
    Old 02-27-2009, 11:38 PM   #144
    UNLTrpt
    Go B1G Red!

My Tour Central Stats

how the hell did you guys hire Horton away from CSF? Did he get fired there or did you guys just throw a ton of money his way?
    Old 02-27-2009, 11:43 PM   #145
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    When did that rumor mill start again?
    Well, you have two teams this year that had planned a new stadium, and both fell through. Oakland would be just a move up the coast, and the other team, Florida, had real interest in Portland a few years ago. Now, if Oakland happens, I think it's sooner rather than later. But for Florida, I think it'll happen with the guidance of the next commissioner, and I think what you'd see happen is for them to go from the NL to the AL. If they did that, it'd perfectly even out the leagues: each league would have 15 teams, each division would have 5 teams.

If anything, Portland has only strengthened its standpoint as a candidate. It is one of the biggest media markets without a baseball team (it may just be the biggest, and it was at one point, but I can't say that for certain), and because of OSU and now U of O, baseball is making a huge comeback in the state. Now, I'm leaving Oregon this coming month, and there's a very good chance that I never come back to live again, but I still think Portland would be a great location. I know the city board OK'd funding for an MLB stadium a few years ago, but it was shot down by the mayor. But I think Adams would be much more cooperative with the plan. And the plan they have is a good one: defer taxes to the repayment process. You know someone like Loria would love that plan.
    Old 02-27-2009, 11:46 PM   #146
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    how the hell did you guys hire Horton away from CSF? Did he get fired there or did you guys just throw a ton of money his way?
    He was CSF's coach in 2007, and the first thing we did in 2007 when we reinstated the program was announce him as the coach. So I'd have to think money came into play.
    Old 02-27-2009, 11:51 PM   #147
    UNLTrpt
    Go B1G Red!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    He was CSF's coach in 2007, and the first thing we did in 2007 when we reinstated the program was announce him as the coach. So I'd have to think money came into play.
    Dang. what a get for a "new" program. I'm sure they threw a ton of money at him to legitimize the program. I honestly had no idea they were starting a program, and then they hired him...shit. You're right, a legit team might not be far off in 3 years.
    Old 02-27-2009, 11:58 PM   #148
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Dang. what a get for a "new" program. I'm sure they threw a ton of money at him to legitimize the program. I honestly had no idea they were starting a program, and then they hired him...shit. You're right, a legit team might not be far off in 3 years.
    As I said, this year's recruiting class (made up of 23 freshman and 12 JC recruits) was ranked 2nd by Baseball News. And with Horton's name (and Oregon's reputation for spending out of their minds on athletic facilities), we probably won't be 2nd again, but I'd expect to continue with a few more well-ranked classes. The stadium will be fully complete next season, and it's set to be pretty spectacular. That'll be a big draw, as well. This entire season is sold out already, so there's certainly a fanbase.
    Old 02-28-2009, 12:03 AM   #149
    UNLTrpt
    Go B1G Red!

My Tour Central Stats

awesome man. Nebraska baseball got huge right when i got to the U. Dave Van Horn (now at Arkansas) took us from a nobody, all the way to the CWS. We were playing in a shit stadium and we were an after thought in the Big 8/12. He took us to the CWS, he helped build a brand new and one of the best small stadiums in the country. And now Nebraska baseball is taking over the spring where only Nebraska football used to be talked about. Its really cool to be in on the ground floor of something big.
    Old 02-28-2009, 01:37 PM   #150
    justink

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

TAMU is #1? weird... they have the absolute WORST baseball fans in the nation. just complete and utter moronic douchebags. if you go to a game, and DON'T leave wanting to punch every single one of them in the chode on account of their doucheyness, you must be the dali lama.

i'll be at a few Rice games this season, you can count on that!
    justink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
    baseball , college , ncaa