Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread - Page 387 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 02-24-2021, 05:05 AM   #11581
KevinTH
KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
I was just listening to Tripping Billies from the Gorge 2002 earlier. What a great live track. I love how the crowd erupts as soon as Boyd’s solo is over.
For some reason that entire weekend, but that show especially, has a “farewell” vibe to it, to me. For instance, Ants Marching from night 1 always sounded like they were playing it for the last time, and same with that Billies. In retrospect, it may not have been a terrible idea for the band to take a break after that summer given what would follow a couple years later.
KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-24-2021, 05:23 AM   #11582
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    For some reason that entire weekend, but that show especially, has a “farewell” vibe to it, to me. For instance, Ants Marching from night 1 always sounded like they were playing it for the last time, and same with that Billies. In retrospect, it may not have been a terrible idea for the band to take a break after that summer given what would follow a couple years later.

Eh, not sure there, that would be right in their prime
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-24-2021, 07:21 AM   #11583
    vkratliff

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Can you expand on this a little bit? What exactly do you mean by "what would follow a couple years later?" Musical direction? Personal stuff?
    vkratliff is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-24-2021, 07:26 AM   #11584
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
    I was just listening to Tripping Billies from the Gorge 2002 earlier. What a great live track. I love how the crowd erupts as soon as Boyd’s solo is over.
    Yeah, I don't know if it's just the mix or what, but I've always thought this Billies is an all-timer. The roar of the crowd is so cool. Around 4:40 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoObP4h22d8
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-24-2021, 07:29 AM   #11585
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whiteyxc514 View Post
    Yeah, I don't know if it's just the mix or what, but I've always thought this Billies is an all-timer. The roar of the crowd is so cool. Around 4:40 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoObP4h22d8

The amount of money I've spent because of that show is, uh, a lot
    Old 02-24-2021, 11:35 AM   #11586
    BearambleAmble

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

The 2016 OKC Break Free was the last gasp of DMB 3.0. But what a damn moment.

I take it over Fenway's version. It's one of the few times Tim and Boyd both played with power and thought. If I remember correctly, the next time they played it, Boyd's solo was gone once again.
    BearambleAmble is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-24-2021, 12:50 PM   #11587
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BearambleAmble View Post

I take it over Fenway's version. It's one of the few times Tim and Boyd both played with power and thought. If I remember correctly, the next time they played it, Boyd's solo was gone once again.
    Yeah the clips of the 2016 Break Free are how I like the song. The Fenway version and others of that era are too slow/plodding for my liking. And a fiery violin solo grabbed my much more than a dragged out trumpet solo...it just suits the song better.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-24-2021, 04:36 PM   #11588
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Always wondered what happened to that solo, and what happened to him that month. He played so well in the month of June and then they started muting him again and he disappeared. I put June 2016 up there with the likes of a June 08. The band was getting tighter, the sets were nice, the new songs were cool, Boyd was playing well, Jeff was coming into his own. Seemed like a hopeful time as a fan.
    Old 02-25-2021, 05:32 AM   #11589
    scottbtdmb

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Continued my "on this date" DMB listening trend this morning with 2-25-95 (DMB Live - Lafeyette College). This show pairs so well with the Roseland shows from the previous 2 nights. Love how this show opens with Nancies, complete with a pretty hilarious Dave intro. Also, this show is noteworthy for the last "true" performance of Blue Water. There was also a unique Ants intro where Dave alternates between the descending chromatic guitar run and teases of "Dueling Banjo", which he normally doesn't actually play on guitar (it's normally Boyd and/or Roi). I love shows like this where they were playing college campuses and you can tell Dave is blown away that so many people were there....at this point it was still "word of mouth" and tape trading that was the primary marketing tool for getting people to the shows. Thankful to have such performances captured in HQ in the DMB Live format...
    scottbtdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2021, 05:39 AM   #11590
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

1991 - 1993, DMB 1.0
    1993 - 1999, DMB 2.0
    2000 - 2005, DMB 3.0
    2006 - 2007, DMB 4.0
    2008 - 2016, DMB 5.0
    2018 - PRESENT, DMB 6.0

I feel like this random dmb thought actually needs it's own thread.
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2021, 05:50 AM   #11591
    mquerques92

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
    1991 - 1993, DMB 1.0
    1993 - 1999, DMB 2.0
    2000 - 2005, DMB 3.0
    2006 - 2007, DMB 4.0
    2008 - 2016, DMB 5.0
    2018 - PRESENT, DMB 6.0

I definitely agree with 2008-2016 and 2018-present, but I'm a little confused about the others. I particularly don't think that 1991-1993 should be its own phase (unless you want to call it 0.0 or something).

And yes, this could definitely be its own thread with probably lots of different ways to break it down.
    mquerques92 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2021, 06:07 AM   #11592
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mquerques92 View Post
    I definitely agree with 2008-2016 and 2018-present, but I'm a little confused about the others. I particularly don't think that 1991-1993 should be its own phase (unless you want to call it 0.0 or something).

And yes, this could definitely be its own thread with probably lots of different ways to break it down.
    1991 - 1993, DMB 1.0 - Dave, Carter, Stefan, Roi, Boyd, Peter
    1993 - 1999, DMB 2.0 - Dave, Carter, Stefan, Roi, Boyd
    2000 - 2005, DMB 3.0 - Dave, Carter, Stefan, Roi, Boyd, Butch
    2006 - 2007, DMB 4.0 - Dave, Carter, Stefan, Roi, Boyd, Butch, Rashawn
    2008 - 2016, DMB 5.0 - Dave, Carter, Stefan, Boyd, Rashawn, Tim, Jeff
    2018 - PRESENT, DMB 6.0 - Dave, Carter, Stefan, Rashawn, Tim, Jeff, Buddy

There is also (for example):
    1991 - .5 - Dave, Carter, Roi, Stefan
    1998 Winter Tour - 1.5 - Dave, Carter, Stefan, Roi, Boyd, Butch, Tim
    2008 - 4.5 - Dave, Carter, Stefan, Roi, Boyd, Rashawn, Tim

A different "version" of the Band should be counted every time there was a significant personnel change that lasted an extended period of time.

How 2016 is only "3.0" of this Band to some people is beyond me.
    Old 02-25-2021, 06:14 AM   #11593
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

There have been a lot of changes and it always has been and always will be DMB, the "when DMB was DMB" crowd just can't accept what the band currently is
    Old 02-25-2021, 06:20 AM   #11594
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vkratliff View Post
    Can you expand on this a little bit? What exactly do you mean by "what would follow a couple years later?" Musical direction? Personal stuff?
    With years removed, and more info available to us, it seems like the band was headed for a not so great time in their history the following year. There’s been talk of in-fighting when he decided to do his solo record, and then we got Stand Up a year or two after that, and then it’s been said they almost broke up in 07.

So looking back it seems like maybe the best thing to do would have been to take a break from the road for a few years and regroup. It’s not like they produced REALLY quality music from 04-09. There were bright points, but nothing compared to the magic that existed pre-Stand Up. Then tack on the death of a founding member and the personal downfall of another, that takes a toll.

It was no surprise to me, when the band was forced to break last year, that Dave started pumping out good songs again. The two we’ve heard are really promising lyrically and technically. I’m actually really looking forward to hearing what else he cooked up. I’ve felt in the last year that maybe the band wouldn’t have gone so astray had they just taken some time to miss each other once in a while.
    Old 02-25-2021, 06:22 AM   #11595
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    There have been a lot of changes and it always has been and always will be DMB, the "when DMB was DMB" crowd just can't accept what the band currently is
    I agree and disagree. I've never really had a problem with any "version" of DMB. I love every era of this band.

But the core 5, with guests sprinkled in... Remember Two Things through The Lillywhite Sessions... that is the definitive version of Dave Matthews Band.
    Old 02-25-2021, 06:56 AM   #11596
    mquerques92

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    1991 - 1993, DMB 1.0 - Dave, Carter, Stefan, Roi, Boyd, Peter
    1993 - 1999, DMB 2.0 - Dave, Carter, Stefan, Roi, Boyd
    2000 - 2005, DMB 3.0 - Dave, Carter, Stefan, Roi, Boyd, Butch
    2006 - 2007, DMB 4.0 - Dave, Carter, Stefan, Roi, Boyd, Butch, Rashawn
    2008 - 2016, DMB 5.0 - Dave, Carter, Stefan, Boyd, Rashawn, Tim, Jeff
    2018 - PRESENT, DMB 6.0 - Dave, Carter, Stefan, Rashawn, Tim, Jeff, Buddy

There is also (for example):
    1991 - .5 - Dave, Carter, Roi, Stefan
    1998 Winter Tour - 1.5 - Dave, Carter, Stefan, Roi, Boyd, Butch, Tim
    2008 - 4.5 - Dave, Carter, Stefan, Roi, Boyd, Rashawn, Tim

A different "version" of the Band should be counted every time there was a significant personnel change that lasted an extended period of time.

How 2016 is only "3.0" of this Band to some people is beyond me.
    Still not sure I agree with 91-93 being its own thing. The band was playing club gigs and frat parties and had no released material. Peter was there and did have an effect on the sound, but IMO they're just figuring out what 1.0 is really going to be.

Also not sure about 06-07 with Rashawn being the only addition. Did he really change the sound that much, or was it more of a guest spot that lasted a couple years?

I'd have to go with:

91-99: 1.0
    00-08: 2.0
    08-16: 3.0
    18-present: 4.0
    Old 02-25-2021, 07:20 AM   #11597
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

DMB 1.0: Remember Two Things - Big Whiskey
    DMB 2.0: Away From the World
    DMB 3.0: Come Tomorrow
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2021, 07:35 AM   #11598
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    With years removed, and more info available to us, it seems like the band was headed for a not so great time in their history the following year. There’s been talk of in-fighting when he decided to do his solo record, and then we got Stand Up a year or two after that, and then it’s been said they almost broke up in 07.

So looking back it seems like maybe the best thing to do would have been to take a break from the road for a few years and regroup. It’s not like they produced REALLY quality music from 04-09. There were bright points, but nothing compared to the magic that existed pre-Stand Up. Then tack on the death of a founding member and the personal downfall of another, that takes a toll.

It was no surprise to me, when the band was forced to break last year, that Dave started pumping out good songs again. The two we’ve heard are really promising lyrically and technically. I’m actually really looking forward to hearing what else he cooked up. I’ve felt in the last year that maybe the band wouldn’t have gone so astray had they just taken some time to miss each other once in a while.

Do you feel Windows and Ocean & Butterfly separate themselves from CT?
    Old 02-25-2021, 07:53 AM   #11599
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Still not sure I agree with 91-93 being its own thing. The band was playing club gigs and frat parties and had no released material. Peter was there and did have an effect on the sound, but IMO they're just figuring out what 1.0 is really going to be.

Also not sure about 06-07 with Rashawn being the only addition. Did he really change the sound that much, or was it more of a guest spot that lasted a couple years?

I'd have to go with:

91-99: 1.0
    00-08: 2.0
    08-16: 3.0
    18-present: 4.0
    Personnel changes is what I go off of. A significant personnel change creates a different version of the Band.

They were Dave Matthews Band when they were playing small clubs. Peter was a member of the Band for 2 years. And even though they didn't have any official releases from the era back then, they certainly do now (Live Trax, DMB Live, whatever). (Also, the Band played hundreds of shows before they had an official release. I don't understand why we wouldn't be giving any consideration to the life of the Band or it's lineup prior to 1993.)

Rashawn joining the Band full time in 2006 added a whole new instrument to the mix (Just like when Butch was added to every song in 2000) When he started appearing on every single song, that counts as a major personnel change. For 2 full years we had the lineup that I consider the 4.0 version of the Band. That's a significant amount of time. (I would also say, yes. Adding a new instrument to every song did change the sound of the Band enough for us to take notice.)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    DMB 1.0: Remember Two Things - Big Whiskey
    DMB 2.0: Away From the World
    DMB 3.0: Come Tomorrow
    Naaaaahhhh.

I suppose this logic works if your only taking the studio recordings into account. I'm going off of the live lineups, which is what's important.
    Old 02-25-2021, 10:37 AM   #11600
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

1.0: thru 1993. Peter, the attempted albums & demo recordings, R2T
    2.0: 1993 - 1999. Tim occasional, Lillywhite steers the polished sound for commercial viability, the big three
    3.0: 2000 - 2007. Butch, Rashawn, LWS, Ballard, the next three, live releases become more frequent, the solo projects
    4.0: 2008 - 2015. Tim, Jeff, - Butch, Roi's passing, Boyd becomes noticeably inconsistent, BWGK, LRB, AFTW, new approaches to live format (2sets, caravan, etc.)
    5.0: 2015+. Boyd worsens then leaves, Buddy, reinvigoration and reinvention of the sound

That's at least how I feel the eras break and why

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2021, 10:44 AM   #11601
    BearambleAmble

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    1991 - 1993, DMB 1.0
    1993 - 1999, DMB 2.0
    2000 - 2005, DMB 3.0
    2006 - 2007, DMB 4.0
    2008 - 2016, DMB 5.0
    2018 - PRESENT, DMB 6.0

I hear ya and can dig the way you look at it. The band's sound definitely changes at that rate to a fan's ear.

But I think there are portions of time due to loss/failure, or whatever else where you're just adrift or era-less. And those changes impact the next era that solidifies.

I think we've been adrift and outside of an era since 2018..losing a member, gaining a member, tying up loose on old songs on a rudderless album. So...

DMB 1.0- RTT, UTTAD, Crash, BTCS
    --TLWS--
    DMB 2.0 Everyday, Busted Stuff, Stand Up
    --LeRoi---
    DMB 3.0 Big Whiskey, AFTW
    --Boyd/Come Tomorrow/Buddy--
    DMB 4.0- When we return to shows/New Album

I like this debate, I don't think there's a right answer. Always a good discussion with this one
    BearambleAmble is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2021, 10:47 AM   #11602
    mquerques92

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dodo36 View Post
    2.0: 1993 - 1999. Tim occasional, Lillywhite steers the polished sound for commercial viability, the big three
    3.0: 2000 - 2007. Butch, Rashawn, LWS, Ballard, the next three, live releases become more frequent, the solo projects
    4.0: 2008 - 2015. Tim, Jeff, - Butch, Roi's passing, Boyd becomes noticeably inconsistent, BWGK, LRB, AFTW, new approaches to live format (2sets, caravan, etc.)
    5.0: 2015+. Boyd worsens then leaves, Buddy, reinvigoration and reinvention of the sound

So you think 2016 (and maybe part of 2015?) is more comparable to 2018/19 than to 2014?
    Old 02-25-2021, 11:03 AM   #11603
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I have always thought like this

1992-1997 DMB 1.0
    1998-2008 DMB 2.0: the golden era, beginning with release of BTCS in April, ending with Roi
    2008-2018 DMB 3.0 the jeff coffin era or the post-LeRoi era
    2018-present DMB 4.0 the Buddy Strong new sound

You can divide the 1998-2008 decade a bit more, but the real mayor change was related to LeRoi’s death.
    Old 02-25-2021, 11:06 AM   #11604
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dodo36 View Post

Quote:
    I hear ya and can dig the way you look at it. The band's sound definitely changes at that rate to a fan's ear.

But I think there are portions of time due to loss/failure, or whatever else where you're just adrift or era-less. And those changes impact the next era that solidifies.

I think we've been adrift and outside of an era since 2018..losing a member, gaining a member, tying up loose on old songs on a rudderless album. So...

DMB 1.0- RTT, UTTAD, Crash, BTCS
    --TLWS--
    DMB 2.0 Everyday, Busted Stuff, Stand Up
    --LeRoi---
    DMB 3.0 Big Whiskey, AFTW
    --Boyd/Come Tomorrow/Buddy--
    DMB 4.0- When we return to shows/New Album

I like this debate, I don't think there's a right answer. Always a good discussion with this one
    So you guys are basing your opinions on overall sound of the band, and not actual versions of the band?

Like Boyd "sounding worse" begins a new version of the Band? I'm not sure how that makes more sense than an era ending when Boyd left and a new one beginning when Buddy came in.

And the end of the pandemic will begin a new version of the Band? I also don't understand how that marks the beginning of a new era/version of the Band when it will (assumingly) be the same exact lineup as it was before the pandemic.

I appreciate your perspectives, I just can't say I understand them that well.
    Old 02-25-2021, 11:16 AM   #11605
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    I have always thought like this

1992-1997 DMB 1.0
    1998-2008 DMB 2.0: the golden era, beginning with release of BTCS in April, ending with Roi
    2008-2018 DMB 3.0 the jeff coffin era or the post-LeRoi era
    2018-present DMB 4.0 the Buddy Strong new sound

You can divide the 1998-2008 decade a bit more, but the real mayor change was related to LeRoi’s death.
    This makes more sense to me than most others I see.
    Old 02-25-2021, 11:30 AM   #11606
    mquerques92

My Tour Central Stats

Ok, I'm gonna take one more shot at this. What's the point of all these .0s if theres nothing in between?

0.1: 1991-1993 - Core 5 + Peter
    1.0: 1993-1999 - Core 5
    2.0: 2000-2006 - Core 5 + Butch
    2.1: 2006-2008 - Rashawn joins
    2.2: 2008 - Butch leaves/Tim joins
    3.0: 2008-2016 - LeRoi passes/Jeff joins (Dave/Carter/Boyd/Stefan/Jeff/Rashawn/Tim)
    4.0: 2018-Present - Boyd leaves/Buddy joins (Dave/Carter/Stefan/Jeff/Rashawn/Tim/Buddy)
    Old 02-25-2021, 12:07 PM   #11607
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Ok, I'm gonna take one more shot at this. What's the point of all these .0s if theres nothing in between?

3.0: 2008-2016 - LeRoi passes/Jeff joins (Dave/Carter/Boyd/Stefan/Jeff/Rashawn/Tim)
    4.0: 2018-Present - Boyd leaves/Buddy joins (Dave/Carter/Stefan/Jeff/Rashawn/Tim/Buddy)
    Mine has in betweens. I listed a couple above.
    Old 02-25-2021, 12:09 PM   #11608
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I truly don't understand how 2 years of the Band's history is being counted as anything less than a full version of the Band.

1991 - 1993 was V. 1 of DMB.
    Old 02-25-2021, 12:23 PM   #11609
    HonestDenver1

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Do you think Dave still drinks? I know he mentioned going vegan and he honestly looks healthier than ever even for a guy in his 50's who lived pretty hard in his younger days. Think he's kicked it? I know in a few interviews he's mentioned that he loves drinking but also wants to live a long time for his kids... Just wondering if you think he still get's DRUNK like he used to. I'm thinking no... And he eats vegan grilled cheese on gluten free home made toast
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2021, 12:26 PM   #11610
    mquerques92

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I truly don't understand how 2 years of the Band's history is being counted as anything less than a full version of the Band.

1991 - 1993 was V. 1 of DMB.
    Thats fine. We clearly have different criteria and there is no right answer.

I just don't see two years of local shows being as significant as any of the main four eras I have listed. All of those (except 4.0) are about 8 years long and have much more significant changes from one to the next.

Even the 4.0 era I have listed might prove to be another transition phase.