Enormous: The Gorge Story - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-22-2021, 08:37 AM   #61
JboDaveGuyYNK

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Enormous: The Gorge Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by dklein View Post
My theater here in Knoxville is charging $17 to see it on a regular screen, no imax, etc. They have a Thursday showing here too and regular evening admission to a Hollywood movie is $12. I want to see it, but I'm wondering if it's worth the higher admission price. What do those who've seen it think?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
dklein- my gf and I were on the fence going into it at $13 (vs. just waiting for it to hopefully come out on a streaming service in the future) but if your asking if you should still go see it tonight- we weren't disappointed. We looked at it as something fun to do during tour kickoff week

Granted, (hypothetically) if it was between that or $25-$30 to stream the first couple shows this weekend, we'd go with the latter
JboDaveGuyYNK is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-22-2021, 10:47 AM   #62
    dklein
    DMBfan in TN

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilant420 View Post
    Hard no. Go buy a $17.00 drink at a show instead.

Or go see Space Jam 2.
    Haha. Saw space jam 2 on hbo max the other night. Glad I didn't see it in a theater. I think I will wait till it comes on streaming.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JboDaveGuyYNK View Post
    dklein- my gf and I were on the fence going into it at $13 (vs. just waiting for it to hopefully come out on a streaming service in the future) but if your asking if you should still go see it tonight- we weren't disappointed. We looked at it as something fun to do during tour kickoff week

Granted, (hypothetically) if it was between that or $25-$30 to stream the first couple shows this weekend, we'd go with the latter
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I think I will wait till it comes to streaming, hopefully that won't be too long. I was at the gorge in 2016 so maybe I'm in a crowd shot and might see myself, lol. BTW, love your snowbird logo. Went there in 2019 and one of my favorite places to ski. My wife has aunts and uncles near Salt Lake so hoping to make a return trip before too long.

dklein is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2021, 11:13 AM   #63
    JboDaveGuyYNK

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Haha. Saw space jam 2 on hbo max the other night. Glad I didn't see it in a theater. I think I will wait till it comes on streaming.Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I think I will wait till it comes to streaming, hopefully that won't be too long. I was at the gorge in 2016 so maybe I'm in a crowd shot and might see myself, lol. BTW, love your snowbird logo. Went there in 2019 and one of my favorite places to ski. My wife has aunts and uncles near Salt Lake so hoping to make a return trip before too long.

Ahhh good man. Mine too, it's what brought me out to Utah and I haven't left 8 years later. Bummer DMB only plays here seemingly every 6 years- Connecticut was much more conducive to seeing multiple shows a summer.

Gimme a shout next time you're heading to SLC. Would love to meet some more Ants
    Old 07-22-2021, 01:29 PM   #64
    dklein
    DMBfan in TN

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JboDaveGuyYNK View Post
    Ahhh good man. Mine too, it's what brought me out to Utah and I haven't left 8 years later. Bummer DMB only plays here seemingly every 6 years- Connecticut was much more conducive to seeing multiple shows a summer.

Gimme a shout next time you're heading to SLC. Would love to meet some more Ants
    Definitely will give you a shout next time I'm out in SLC. I spent 2 years in summit County, CO working at Abasin, keystone, and Copper, so I definitely love the Rocky Mountains. Closest good skiing to me here in TN is Snowshoe, WV 6 hours away, so takes some planning for a good ski trip. Getting excited for Charlotte on Saturday! Cheers!

dklein is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2021, 02:40 PM   #65
    JboDaveGuyYNK

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Definitely will give you a shout next time I'm out in SLC. I spent 2 years in summit County, CO working at Abasin, keystone, and Copper, so I definitely love the Rocky Mountains. Closest good skiing to me here in TN is Snowshoe, WV 6 hours away, so takes some planning for a good ski trip. Getting excited for Charlotte on Saturday! Cheers!

I have a family member in Breck- Summit's a great time. We'll be meeting them for the Denver shows.

Nice, I'm very jealous of those who get to attend this week- enjoy it!!!!
    Old 07-22-2021, 03:05 PM   #66
    SeekUpTheCubs
    DMBallwasher

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

I liked this doc. It's not winning an oscar, but it was a nice distilled look at a venue that a lot of us love. They tried to wrap the narrative in a couple heart-string pulling stories to mixed results, but the thought was nice.

Nice to see how many people really care about the venue. Nice to see all these bands I love clearly excited about it. Looking forward to Labor Day this year
    Old 01-18-2022, 10:56 AM   #67
    specialkd24

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Finally watched this yesterday. It was $2.99 on Amazon.

I enjoyed the background info that I had no idea about. And of course the visuals are awesome. They talk about Pearl Jam ... but I looked it up and they have only played there 4 times I believe. Seemed weird for a Seattle band (and since Mike McCready was in the documentary talking about how much he liked it).

It also served a dual purpose because my wife turned to me at the end and said "It makes me want to go back to The Gorge now." WIN
    specialkd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2022, 12:01 PM   #68
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

They really held this thing back like it was some oscar worthy feat. I just looked at the run time and it's only 1 hr lol? Don't get me wrong, I understand them trying to get the most out of the documentary, but I feel like it has been 7 years since I first heard about this project and it is only now available for direct to consumer purchase? Jeeze.

Edit: I just went back to first page of this thread and even then I made a comment that I had heard about this documentary years ago. Looks like they started filming in 2014...that's 8 years (7 if you want to be conservative based on dates, etc.). That's nuts. I'll find time to give it a shot but after waiting 7 years, I certainly hope its good lol.

Last edited by Cscottrun; 01-18-2022 at 12:03 PM.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2022, 02:23 PM   #69
    Hahninator
    Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Watched it last night for $2.99 on Amazon. Well worth the money. Thought it was awesome, learned a lot about the venue. Didn't know it had bleachers at one time and they had to dynamite the hill. Didn't know that bit about Jason Mraz and Dave either. It's not very long but they did a nice job, especially including the other genres of music. It's neat how Bob Dylan basically launched the modern day success of the Gorge as a venue.

Would like to see more of my favorite bands play out there.
    Hahninator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2022, 02:29 PM   #70
    blaznphish

Shows Seen: 64

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Don’t waste your time watching it.. watch Marc-Andre Lerlerc in the Alpinist instead.
    blaznphish is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2022, 07:24 PM   #71
    GraceBuckley

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blaznphish View Post
    Don’t waste your time watching it.. watch Marc-Andre Lerlerc in the Alpinist instead.
    I didn't think it was a waste of time, I liked it. But if we're going to suggest other things for people to watch instead, I'd point people to the Fyre Festival docs (Hulu's & Netflix's), so they can see the story in reverse (Gorge = successful venue with multiple successful annual festivals vs. Fyre Festival = Insane clusterf*** of ego, fraud, narcissism, "influencers" and a lot of really tired & pissed & unpaid for weeks of hard work locals.

In other words: fascinating!
    GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2022, 07:30 PM   #72
    blaznphish

My Tour Central Stats

Sorry buddy. NUFD..
    Old 01-18-2022, 07:30 PM   #73
    jssmith6
    every fire dies

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blaznphish View Post
    This was an awesome documentary. As a lead climber (not solo) watching this just gave me chills. This guy was a fantastic climber, great great watch.
    jssmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2022, 07:37 PM   #74
    blaznphish

My Tour Central Stats

Jssmith is spot on. Enormous, the gorge documentary sucks. It’s NUFD so I hope we stop talking about it, because it’s that bad. Let’s just talk about Marc-Andrew Leclerc because him and Dave Matthews are the true rockstars.
    Old 01-18-2022, 07:45 PM   #75
    blaznphish

My Tour Central Stats

It would be awesome if somebody did another documentary on DMB from 2000-2020. Wow, that could be a great Hollywood movie. The film would need an incredible performance by the lead actor ( Dave Matthews). Tom Hanks comes to mind but it would need to be someone sexier. Maybe a Tom hanks and Bradley Cooper baby. I also think the Harry Potter actor would play butch so well.
    Old 01-18-2022, 07:56 PM   #76
    Typical_Ant

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Fantastic. Not the best doc ever made. Definitely entertaining and good stories surrounding it. I didn’t know how it started and how it got so big.
    Fun seeing the Mraz, parking lot story retold 20 years later. Mraz certainly is a bit high on himself though.
    Love that DMB is really the allure for it. Anything else has stemmed from them.
    Typical_Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-19-2022, 07:31 AM   #77
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Here is the Mraz parking lot show that Dave shows up at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abuoDO2Aq4s
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-19-2022, 02:02 PM   #78
    DaveHead77
    Saw LS teased 2x n 2wks

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hahninator View Post
    Watched it last night for $2.99 on Amazon. Well worth the money. Thought it was awesome, learned a lot about the venue. Didn't know it had bleachers at one time and they had to dynamite the hill. Didn't know that bit about Jason Mraz and Dave either. It's not very long but they did a nice job, especially including the other genres of music. It's neat how Bob Dylan basically launched the modern day success of the Gorge as a venue.

Would like to see more of my favorite bands play out there.
    Yeah I watched it over the weekend off Amazon also. It showed I believe just for a single day at select theaters around the country, and it was showing at the Regal theater in the Green Hills neighborhood of Nashville but unfortunately never went to go see it. But the Jason Mraz and Dave video portion was shown on the DMB Gorge CD/DVD release from 2002. Enormous used that same exact footage that they had used on it.
    Nashville '00, '04, ‘19, & ‘23, D&T 2x ‘17, Cincy '07 & ‘21, Charlotte '08, Louisville '08, Charlottesville N2 '09, ‘16, & N2 ‘18, Deer Creek N2 '09, DM in Nashville '10, Atlanta '10 - '12, '14 - '16, & ‘18 -‘19, ‘23, Raleigh ‘18 and ‘21 - ‘22, Memphis ‘19 & ‘23.
    DaveHead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-19-2022, 03:15 PM   #79
    Typical_Ant

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveHead77 View Post
    Yeah I watched it over the weekend off Amazon also. It showed I believe just for a single day at select theaters around the country, and it was showing at the Regal theater in the Green Hills neighborhood of Nashville but unfortunately never went to go see it. But the Jason Mraz and Dave video portion was shown on the DMB Gorge CD/DVD release from 2002. Enormous used that same exact footage that they had used on it.
    If that's the only footage and they wanted to show that interesting story, what would you have suggested they do? 2002 it wasn't like cameras were all around like now. I liked Jason's version of it as opposed to what I assume happened. Dave gave him his career essentially.
    Typical_Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-19-2022, 07:08 PM   #80
    blaznphish

My Tour Central Stats

Please retitle this thread “enormous, the worst document of all time” and then lock it because it’s NUFD