Marvel Cinematic Universe Fandom (MCUc) - Page 109 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #3241
jebediahlongnut

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe Fandom (MCUc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
I don't know that I'd call Disney cheap. It's super easy to see this from both Disney and Sony's side from a business perspective. It just sucks from a fan perspective.
I think both companies are to blame, I just can only speak as a SW fan since I don't follow Sony very often. But it is disappointing indeed.
jebediahlongnut is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-22-2019, 10:56 AM   #3242
    DMBzilla
    tour.

Shows Seen: 193

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Forbes article was excellent and really shows how shortsighted Sony’s approach is. I really don’t get the “good for you, boo Disney” approach people are taking. Disney saved Marvel, then handed the reigns to really talented people who have done incredible things with the brand. I absolutely want Holland’s Spidey to be a part of the MCU moving forward.

But, as that author very aptly stated, Sony needs the MCU far more than the MCU needs Spider-Man.
    DMBzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-22-2019, 11:19 AM   #3243
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

can the MCU just use a new spider-man?
    Old 08-22-2019, 11:27 AM   #3244
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 View Post
    can the MCU just use a new spider-man?
    No, Sony has the film rights to the character.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-22-2019, 11:28 AM   #3245
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
    No, Sony has the film rights to the character.
    word. thanks
    Old 08-22-2019, 11:38 AM   #3246
    Beefsteak1138

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jebediahlongnut View Post
    As a Star Wars fan it's obvious Disney doesn't have the best interests of the fans in mind. All about money or a political agenda. They know people love Spidey, but they are too cheap to do what's right. I've heard a surprising amount of people say Spidey was the only part of the MCU that they were looking forward to now.
    Not sure I agree with this, since the acquisition Disney has released three incredibly successful, and critically claimed movies (and Solo) after most fans thought they would never see new SW movie ever again. They revived the Clone Wars, created the Resistance series and soon to be released Mandalorian series, and released a shit ton of books/comics. There's pretty much something there for any fan except bitter fan boys.

Anyway, doesn't the MCU need Spidey at this point since he's basically been set up as the new Stark?
    Beefsteak1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-22-2019, 12:00 PM   #3247
    thebridge15

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

think it's very clear what he's talking about, but that discussion should be in the trump thread

that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-22-2019, 01:40 PM   #3248
    jebediahlongnut

Shows Seen: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 View Post
    Not sure I agree with this, since the acquisition Disney has released three incredibly successful, and critically claimed movies (and Solo) after most fans thought they would never see new SW movie ever again. They revived the Clone Wars, created the Resistance series and soon to be released Mandalorian series, and released a shit ton of books/comics. There's pretty much something there for any fan except bitter fan boys.

Anyway, doesn't the MCU need Spidey at this point since he's basically been set up as the new Stark?
    I give them credit for doing the CW tv show, but they are the ones who cancelled it in the first place. The animation was already half done and many fans begged for the show back. As for Resistance, it's already been cancelled and a vast majority of fans didn't like it anyway, not even kids.

The movies have all been solid except for TLJ. I agree with you in that there is something for everybody in Disney SW, it just doesn't seem to have as much care put into it.
    jebediahlongnut is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-22-2019, 09:23 PM   #3249
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Just read the Forbes article. Really great job of laying out the entire story.

I like how even they conclude that Sony is stupid not to strike a deal and cash in to some degree. There's really no win-win scenario, just plays that make Sony not go down as hard.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-23-2019, 03:08 PM   #3250
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

New Deadline article on how Sony and Marvel are fighting over Jon Watts had this nugget:

https://deadline.com/2019/08/spider-...ip-1202702851/

Quote:
    On those talks that Deadline revealed Tuesday: I continue to hear from reliable sources that the notion Feige was too busy to do more Spider-Man films just doesn’t hold water; he loves the character and the way those movies served the fans and the Marvel Universe. I continue to hear that Disney asked for a 25% stake where it would finance that much of the movie and receive that much of the equity upside. This arrangement would only have been for any pictures that involved Marvel & Feige. It wasn’t a forever deal, like the time one Sony made years ago to continue as distributor of James Bond. Back then, Sony cut MGM into a co-financing relationship on the pictures The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and 21 Jump Street, that gave MGM rights to co-finance future installments. The Spider-Man deal was only for pictures where Marvel lent Feige and the weight of its brand and cross pollination in Marvel movies. Still, it was a big ask of Sony, which had been getting a relative bargain at 5% of first dollar gross. That 25% offer sat for a half year, and finally the conversation was the 50% co-fi stake, before Disney called the whole thing off.

Tour 2023: Deer Creek [6/30] [7/01]
    DMBZeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-23-2019, 04:46 PM   #3251
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Recap of Disney+ panel:

- What If? will be 23 episodes, one based on each movie: Captain Carter and skinny Steve in WW2 Iron Man armor, Winter Soldier fighting zombie Cap, and T’Challa as Star Lord shown.

- Sharon Carter back for Falcon & Winter Soldier. Wyatt Russell cast as John Walker/US Agent.

- Kat Jennings (Darcy) and Jimmy Woo (Randall Park from Antman and Wasp) returning for WandaVision

- Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, and She-Hulk shows announced.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:51 PM   #3252
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Kit Harrington is joining the MCU: https://deadline.com/2019/08/kit-har...es-1202703013/

Moon Knight maybe?

Old 08-24-2019, 06:40 AM   #3253
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Of all the announcements they've made so far, Moon Knight is by far my anticipated show.
    Old 08-24-2019, 08:02 AM   #3254
    fridge112887
    William Perry

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Like most Marvel properties, I know nothing about Moon Knight but I did see the character described as "Marvel's Batman." That being the case, wouldn't he be better suited for the big screen?
    Old 08-24-2019, 08:38 AM   #3255
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fridge112887 View Post
    Like most Marvel properties, I know nothing about Moon Knight but I did see the character described as "Marvel's Batman." That being the case, wouldn't he be better suited for the big screen?
    He may still come to the big screen. But Phase 4 is pretty much packed and set, and Phase 5 is likely to be used to introduce the FF and X-Men, so a character like Moon Knight would be difficult to bring in until Phase 6

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-24-2019, 08:57 AM   #3256
    fridge112887
    William Perry

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    He may still come to the big screen. But Phase 4 is pretty much packed and set, and Phase 5 is likely to be used to introduce the FF and X-Men, so a character like Moon Knight would be difficult to bring in until Phase 6
    That would be fine. Plenty of material/characters to pull from so no need to rush. I also understand needing material for the streaming platform to draw members. Hell, I even think She Hulk and Ms. Marvel are meant for the big screen.
    Old 08-24-2019, 03:02 PM   #3257
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    All the Disney+ Marvel shows are made by Marvel Studios and not Marvel TV. They will have the budget and resources of the movies, and be 6-8 hours long.

While Moon Knight is getting a show to explain his origin, he could easily jump to a movie at any time. A lot of movie characters will be in WandaVision on Disney+, and that storyline will lead directly into the next Doctor Strange movie Multiverse of Madness.

The best options for Moon Knight to appear in from announced movies would be Doctor Strange or Blade.

Last edited by DMBZeppelin; 08-24-2019 at 03:03 PM.
    Old 08-24-2019, 03:18 PM   #3258
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

To recap the Marvel news from today:

- Black Panther 2 given a May 6, 2022 release date
    - Kit Harington as The Black Knight (Dane Whitman) and Gemma Chan as Sersi have been cast in the Eternals

Tom Holland was there to promote Pixar’s Onward and said this at the end: “Listen, it's been a crazy week, but I want you to know, I am grateful from the bottom of my heart, and I love you 3000."

Feige and Holland talk about the split here: https://ew.com/movies/2019/08/24/tom...e-disney-sony/

Old 08-24-2019, 03:44 PM   #3259
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

My Tour Central Stats

About to watch End Game finally, with the baby there was no chance of a theater and wanted to watch with the wife as well. Pretty psyched! Just hope the baby will nap for the next 3 hours.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-24-2019, 05:15 PM   #3260
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't think Batman is a good comparison. He's a really big psychological story. It's more like Legion than anything else out there. I started reading him through this storyline...

https://www.amazon.com/Moon-Knight-1...gateway&sr=8-3
    Old 08-29-2019, 02:46 AM   #3261
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    I don't think Batman is a good comparison. He's a really big psychological story. It's more like Legion than anything else out there. I started reading him through this storyline...
    Thought of this thread when I came across this Moon Knight IGN posted. There's a lot more in the article, but this explains him for people like myself who don't know him that well: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08...r-khonshu-show

Quote:
    Moon Knight: The Basics

When mercenary Marc Spector was attacked and left for dead in the Egyptian desert, he was given a second chance at life by the god Khonshu. In exchange for his life, Spector became the avatar of Khonshu and the protector of "those who travel by night." Spector returned to New York and devoted his considerable fortune to becoming a costumed crime-fighter and defending the innocents of the city.

There's just one problem - few people believe Marc Spector was actually visited by an Egyptian moon god. Spector also suffers from dissociative identity disorder, periodically lapsing into other personalities like streetwise cab driver Jake Lockley and millionaire playboy Steven Grant. Even he is sometimes forced to question whether he's truly having visions of Khonshu or simply sliding into insanity.

Moon Knight's Powers and Abilities

The main reason comic fans like to compare Moon Knight to Batman is that both are men who devote their wealth and training to beating up criminals by night. Marc Spector is both rich and well-versed in various forms of armed and unarmed combat. As his occasional nemesis Taskmaster has pointed out, Moon Knight is a reckless brawler with little regard for defense. To mitigate that problem, many of his suits are constructed from near-unbreakable metals like adamantium or carbonadium.

Moon Knight has a full arsenal of moon-themed weapons and gadgets, including throwing darts, staves and even a custom-built "Mooncopter." He also has silver-coated weaponry he used when hired to hunt down misunderstood hero Jack Russell (aka - Werewolf by Night).

Spector has also been shown to have a degree of superhuman strength, though that strength ebbs and flows with both the phases of the moon and his connection to Khonshu. It's also been speculated that his strength isn't actually supernatural in origin, but a bizarre form of self-hypnosis that fools Spector's body into performing otherwise impossible feats (picture James McAvoy's character from the movie Split).

Old 09-05-2019, 02:55 PM   #3262
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Spider-Man update from Sony:

Sony Pictures Chief on Spider-Man Split: ‘For the Moment the Door is Closed’

Quote:
    Fans holding out hope that Spider-Man might be returning to the Marvel Cinematic Universe will be disappointed to hear that “for the moment the door is closed,” according to Sony Pictures chairman and CEO Tony Vinciquerra.

Speaking at Variety‘s Entertainment & Technology summit, Vinciquerra cryptically added that “it’s a long life,” implying that perhaps in the distant future the web-slinging hero might swing his way back to the Disney-owned company.

Vinciquerra insisted that there is “no ill will” between Sony and Marvel, after the two failed to reach on agreement on financing terms for upcoming Spider-Man movies, effectively removing Tom Holland’s Spider-Man from the Marvel fold in terms of both future standalone and team-up features. However, he also did acknowledge the fan backlash to the news, saying that it has been “an interesting couple of weeks” for the studio.

Vinciquerra pointed to Marvel boss Kevin Feige being “stretched incredibly thin” with new additions coming to the MCU as one of the reasons behind the breakdown in talks.

“We had a great run with (Feige) on Spider-Man movies,” the Sony chief said. “We tried to see if there’s a way to work it out….the Marvel people are terrific people, we have great respect for them, but on the other hand we have some pretty terrific people of our own. Kevin didn’t do all the work.”

Now that one of its biggest properties is back solely in its hands, Vinciquerra said that Sony plans to launch its own universe using the vast array of Spider-Man characters.

The studio is in production on a second “Venom” film, a picture based on the character Morbius and “five or six” TV series set in the Spider-Man world. The Sony boss bullishly expressed his belief that the character will do “just fine” outside of the MCU, pointing to the success of “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” and the Sony-Amazon series “The Boys” as evidence that Sony is fully capable of hitting the mark on the superhero front.

“Spiderman was fine before the event movies, did better with the event movies, and now that we have our own universe, he will play off the other characters as well,” Vinciquerra said. “I think we’re pretty capable of doing what we have to do here.”

Old 09-05-2019, 04:13 PM   #3263
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Oh yeah, that's going to go terribly for Sony

Old 09-05-2019, 05:58 PM   #3264
    Coolmunk too
    I amthe cool-est monkey

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

How 'bout this idea, True Believers: a female Fantastic Four. Vanessa Kirby as Miss Fantastic, Rhonda Rousy as Bennette Grimm, aka The Thing, Bella Thorne as the Human Torch, and flavor of the month hunk as The Invisible Man.
    Anyone?
    Coolmunk too is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-05-2019, 06:01 PM   #3265
    Coolmunk too
    I amthe cool-est monkey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin View Post
    Thought of this thread when I came across this Moon Knight IGN posted. There's a lot more in the article, but this explains him for people like myself who don't know him that well: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08...r-khonshu-show
    As a Marvel True Believer since 1984, I'd say that info is spot on!
    Old 09-05-2019, 06:20 PM   #3266
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coolmunk too View Post
    How 'bout this idea, True Believers: a female Fantastic Four. Vanessa Kirby as Miss Fantastic, Rhonda Rousy as Bennette Grimm, aka The Thing, Bella Thorne as the Human Torch, and flavor of the month hunk as The Invisible Man.
    Anyone?
    I'd be up for it.

But I'd prefer they stick to comic source material (or at least an iteration of source material) from the comics.

There's so much to work with there before tangent arcs.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:15 PM   #3267
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

I’m not looking forward to this yet, but a Mad Men writer is an interesting choice.

Marvel's 'Hawkeye' Series Finds Its Writer With 'Mad Men' Scribe (Exclusive)

Quote:
    Hawkeye has found his writing bull's-eye.

The Marvel series, being developed for the upcoming streaming service Disney+, has tapped Jonathan Igla to act as writer and executive producer. Igla cut his teeth, or sharpened his arrowhead, as it were, as a writer and executive story editor on Mad Men, the award-winning drama that helped establish AMC as a go-to place for critically acclaimed TV.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:20 PM   #3268
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

I’ve never seen Bumblebee. Can she act? She was solid in True Grit but she was a kid.

Marvel's 'Hawkeye' Series Targets Hailee Steinfeld

Quote:
    Hawkeye is targeting Hailee Steinfeld. The actor is in early talks to star in the Disney+ series opposite Jeremy Renner, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. She would play Kate Bishop, a young hero trained by Clint Barton (Renner) to fight crime with the help of a bow and arrow.

In the comics, Kate Bishop debuted in 2005's Young Avengers No. 1 and was created by Wonder Woman screenwriter Allan Heinberg and artist Jim Cheung. She started off as an amateur athlete who later joined the Young Avengers, a group of teen heroes inspired by the Avengers. Known for her sarcastic personality, Bishop quickly became a fan favorite, and went on to star in the critically acclaimed 2012 Hawkeye comic book, which saw her train under Barton. She eventually took up his mantle, toplining the 2017 Hawkeye series.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:03 PM   #3269
    Coolmunk too
    I amthe cool-est monkey

My Tour Central Stats

" a young hero trained by Clint Barton (Renner) to fight crime with the help of a bow and arrow."

I can't believe they could make this work on the big screen. It barely works in the comics.
    Old 09-27-2019, 08:09 AM   #3270
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Spidey is back!

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/s...an-1203351489/

Quote:
    Sony Pictures and Marvel have found a way to get back in the Spider-Man business together.

Sony Pictures Entertainment and The Walt Disney Studios jointly announced that Marvel Studios and its President Kevin Feige will produce the third film in the “Spider-Man: Homecoming” series, starring Tom Holland. The film is scheduled for release on July 16, 2021. As part of the arrangement, Spider-Man will also appear in a future Marvel Studios film. Amy Pascal will also produce through Pascal Pictures, as she has on the first two Holland-led films.

“I am thrilled that Spidey’s journey in the MCU will continue, and I and all of us at Marvel Studios are very excited that we get to keep working on it,” said Feige. “Spider-Man is a powerful icon and hero whose story crosses all ages and audiences around the globe. He also happens to be the only hero with the superpower to cross cinematic universes, so as Sony continues to develop their own Spidey-verse you never know what surprises the future might hold.”