The Credit Thread (help with Credit Cards, Credit Scores, & Applying for LoansC) - Page 76 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 09-21-2018, 07:58 AM   #2251
Tiduwho
heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Credit Thread (help with Credit Cards, Credit Scores, & Applying for LoansC)

I have free monitoring from 2 or 3 different sources, a lot of credit cards have that now.

Its comforting when I actually apply for something, I get 3 different emails from BoA, Capital One, and maybe Credit Karma all saying that changes have been detected in my credit report and to review it and confirm it is ok.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-21-2018, 08:05 AM   #2252
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Credit Thread (help with Credit Cards, Credit Scores, & Applying for LoansC)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    I need to transfer about $5,000, looking for at least 12 months at 0%. Most of the cards I'm finding have a 5% transfer fee though. Any suggestions?
    I used Chase Slate a few years ago. 15 months 0% APR and $0 Intro fee on transfers made within 60 days of account opening.

https://creditcards.chase.com/balanc...-slate#Reviews
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2018, 08:24 AM   #2253
    CrashDMB237

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    I used Chase Slate a few years ago. 15 months 0% APR and $0 Intro fee on transfers made within 60 days of account opening.

https://creditcards.chase.com/balanc...-slate#Reviews
    I actually came into this thread to ask specifically about this. And excuse my ignorance... I'm so unbelievably terrible with stuff that it's embarrassing.

So if I transfer a couple grand from my active credit card to this card, there's no fee and 0% APR for 15 months? No catches?
    CrashDMB237 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2018, 11:34 AM   #2254
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrashDMB237 View Post
    I actually came into this thread to ask specifically about this. And excuse my ignorance... I'm so unbelievably terrible with stuff that it's embarrassing.

So if I transfer a couple grand from my active credit card to this card, there's no fee and 0% APR for 15 months? No catches?
    Yup, from what I recall, the money just sat on my credit card until I wanted to pay it off. You shouldn't be charged interest until the 15th month ends. The problem for me is that the card is absolutely useless after you payoff what you owe. It just sits in my wallet and gets used once or twice a year max.

Note though that to avoid a fee for the transfer itself, you have to transfer within 60 days after opening the card.
    Old 09-21-2018, 11:42 AM   #2255
    CrashDMB237

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yup, from what I recall, the money just sat on my credit card until I wanted to pay it off. You shouldn't be charged interest until the 15th month ends. The problem for me is that the card is absolutely useless after you payoff what you owe. It just sits in my wallet and gets used once or twice a year max.

Note though that to avoid a fee for the transfer itself, you have to transfer within 60 days after opening the card.
    Yea I would have to literally cut it into pieces with scissors and throw it away so I never use it again

Thanks for the link, gonna look into it tonight for sure.
    Old 09-21-2018, 11:46 AM   #2256
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrashDMB237 View Post
    Yea I would have to literally cut it into pieces with scissors and throw it away so I never use it again

Thanks for the link, gonna look into it tonight for sure.
    Well, if you plan to use credit cards consistently (I rarely use cash), you should look into a points or cash back card. I rarely travel so I prefer cash back cards. Citi Double cash is pretty good (2% cash back on everything) and I supplement it with an Uber Visa Card (4% cash back on dining and bars). Works pretty well for me. The Uber card will also reimburse you for a recurring monthly fee up to $5.00 a month (like netflix or spotify) if you hit a certain spending minimum.
    Old 09-21-2018, 12:28 PM   #2257
    CrashDMB237

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well, if you plan to use credit cards consistently (I rarely use cash), you should look into a points or cash back card. I rarely travel so I prefer cash back cards. Citi Double cash is pretty good (2% cash back on everything) and I supplement it with an Uber Visa Card (4% cash back on dining and bars). Works pretty well for me. The Uber card will also reimburse you for a recurring monthly fee up to $5.00 a month (like netflix or spotify) if you hit a certain spending minimum.
    I have a cash back card for my main card. I keep it simple... one credit card, one debit card and that's it. Problem is since we bought our first house last August my one credit card is getting up there hence why I'm looking to transfer a good portion of the balance elsewhere.
    Old 11-28-2018, 03:58 PM   #2258
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Need some help because this has been really stressful

Buying a house. Mortgage broker pulled our credit on 11/3, everything's good. Application started 11/26.

Rewind back to 10/1. Got a call from a collections agency about a medical bill that I had paid in August. I provided them with the date and the check number, and the guy said he would put in a payment verification. Never heard back.

Fast forward to 11/26, the day our application started. Collections agency calls me back. Says the billing company did not verify my payment. I argued my point, stating that I could even send them a copy of my cleared check (that I received from the bank later that day when I asked). They didn't seem interested in me sending it in. I had the guy put in a formal dispute. I asked if this was reported to the credit bureaus and the guy said not yet but he can't promise it won't.I spent over 2 hours trying to find a working number for the medical group, which seems to have gone out of business. I explained this to the collections agency but they wouldn't give me the contact info (which I can kinda understand). I left 2 messages for a manager on 11/26, haven't heard back.

Called back tonight to check on the dispute, and the asshole I spoke with was very condescending, and informed me that it WAS in fact reported to the credit bureaus on 11/13. He too didn't seem all that interested when I said I could provide documentation that the payment was made and cleared from the bank.

What are my options here? I'm pretty much freaking out because I don't want something this small ($84) and completely untrue, to blow my mortgage
    Old 11-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #2259
    Dave&Tim41

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    Need some help because this has been really stressful

Buying a house. Mortgage broker pulled our credit on 11/3, everything's good. Application started 11/26.

Rewind back to 10/1. Got a call from a collections agency about a medical bill that I had paid in August. I provided them with the date and the check number, and the guy said he would put in a payment verification. Never heard back.

Fast forward to 11/26, the day our application started. Collections agency calls me back. Says the billing company did not verify my payment. I argued my point, stating that I could even send them a copy of my cleared check (that I received from the bank later that day when I asked). They didn't seem interested in me sending it in. I had the guy put in a formal dispute. I asked if this was reported to the credit bureaus and the guy said not yet but he can't promise it won't.I spent over 2 hours trying to find a working number for the medical group, which seems to have gone out of business. I explained this to the collections agency but they wouldn't give me the contact info (which I can kinda understand). I left 2 messages for a manager on 11/26, haven't heard back.

Called back tonight to check on the dispute, and the asshole I spoke with was very condescending, and informed me that it WAS in fact reported to the credit bureaus on 11/13. He too didn't seem all that interested when I said I could provide documentation that the payment was made and cleared from the bank.

What are my options here? I'm pretty much freaking out because I don't want something this small ($84) and completely untrue, to blow my mortgage
    A good processor/underwriter will ask you for a letter of explanation about the charge, where you can literally explain the whole situation. You can even provide the cleared check to the processor/underwriter. You are not going to be denied for an $84 collection.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Julia Roberts View Post
    I listened to TGIY the whole way through once. It was a bad experience and I wouldn’t recommend anyone else do it. Same goes for deep fried Twinkies.
    Dave&Tim41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-18-2019, 11:49 AM   #2260
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Looking to do a balance transfer for 0% interest for x amount of months but the only offer I've gotten in the mail so far is from my bank and the balance transfer limit was 2k. I have 9k to transfer.

Are there any reputable sites out there that don't shop your information while you shop for cards?

I have 1 more full rent payment on my lease for March and then a prorate for 6 days in April. After that I will be living with my GF who agreed to not charge me any rent until I clear out my Credit Card debt.

Currently getting hit with $125 interest a month on roughly $9600 in debt on my discover. I know that's actually pretty good, but I would love to avoid any interest if possible.

Follow up question - if the application asks what I pay in rent, should I answer $0 as that will be what it is moving forward?
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.

Last edited by Speilmen230; 02-18-2019 at 11:51 AM.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-18-2019, 05:34 PM   #2261
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speilmen230 View Post
    Looking to do a balance transfer for 0% interest for x amount of months but the only offer I've gotten in the mail so far is from my bank and the balance transfer limit was 2k. I have 9k to transfer.

Are there any reputable sites out there that don't shop your information while you shop for cards?

I have 1 more full rent payment on my lease for March and then a prorate for 6 days in April. After that I will be living with my GF who agreed to not charge me any rent until I clear out my Credit Card debt.

Currently getting hit with $125 interest a month on roughly $9600 in debt on my discover. I know that's actually pretty good, but I would love to avoid any interest if possible.

Follow up question - if the application asks what I pay in rent, should I answer $0 as that will be what it is moving forward?
    I would, as they are only trying to gauge obligations. I'm not an underwriter though.
    unccrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-19-2019, 08:26 AM   #2262
    LowEnd_Theory
    ...the cool-out breed

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I did the 0% APR Balance Transfer thing when I had about $6k in CC debt and was getting hit with high minimums.

Unfortunately, I was only able to get approved for $2.5k between two new cards. Did my transfers immediately. What surprised me was that I still had $50 minimums on both cards with them maxed out-- didn't really help that much. Also, clearly having a problem with spending at the time, I ended up making purchases on the card that I was transferring from. So I basically ended up increases my credit line and my monthly minimums. The whole thing backfired, and most of it was my fault obviously, but I wasnt expecting to add $100 in minimum payments with those balance cards either.

If I were in your position of have zero rent, I would just focus on attacking the Discover card and forget about the balance transfer. Obviously, it was a failed experiment for me.

I know there's a full moon every night. When I dress black it snows white...
    LowEnd_Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-19-2019, 08:36 AM   #2263
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I appreciate the insight into your experience. I'm very wary of opening up another credit card. All of this debt has been accumulated since May of 2016 when I moved to Denver. A number of unexpected car repairs and piling up interest has been the death of me.

I'm happy with my discover card and my FICO credit score is 717. I don't want to rock the boat so to say.
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-30-2019, 07:36 AM   #2264
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

Shows Seen: 179

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone else play the churning game?

I used to do it casually but have got back into it in a big way end of last year. Learning to open Business cards was something I never knew about. Since restarting end of last year with 2 player mode I have managed a companion pass from SW as well as a pretty substantial haul of Ultimate Reward points and AA miles.
    Old 04-30-2019, 07:41 AM   #2265
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

I'm kinda off it as the current slate of sign up bonuses really isn't doing it for me, plus the world of hyatt card has captured my attention as I try to spend to status there. however, I did 2-player mode the new SW card into companion pass through the end of 2019, which always helps.
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-30-2019, 08:01 AM   #2266
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

My Tour Central Stats

Have you looked at Chase ink preferred? 80k points than refer p2 and get a 20k referral plus another 80. Doing that back and forth with my wife now as currently can get 2 each no problem....lot of points lol.
    Old 04-30-2019, 11:06 AM   #2267
    42graystreet
    Go Big Red!

Shows Seen: 88

My Tour Central Stats

I've opened a few cards over the years just to get the intro bonus. Not recently as I'm on the verge of buying a home and don't want to fuck around with my credit score. Once that's behind me, I won't really have a reason to care about my credit score going down by a few points and I'll get back into it.
    Old 04-30-2019, 11:12 AM   #2268
    YouNeverKnow25

My Tour Central Stats

there's just as good a chance your score goes up when you open a new card
    Old 04-30-2019, 11:19 AM   #2269
    42graystreet
    Go Big Red!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    there's just as good a chance your score goes up when you open a new card
    Improving your credit utilization is one way it could improve your score, but my ratio is already so high that opening up new cards doesn't really move the needle. Compare that to the dings you get with hard credit inquiries and the reduction in the average age of your accounts and I'm pretty sure my score goes down if anything. Not by much, mind you, which is why people shouldn't really be afraid of doing this. I'm just in a pivotal moment here. Not worth it to risk. A drop in my score could mean a higher interest rate on the mortgage if I'm really unlucky.
    Old 04-30-2019, 01:40 PM   #2270
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

My Tour Central Stats

I get not fucking around with it right before buying a home.

They don't want to see new things being open/closed at that time.
    Old 08-22-2019, 12:17 PM   #2271
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Why would I be charged $3 interest on a card with no balance
    Old 08-22-2019, 03:42 PM   #2272
    Nick@Night
    Big Nick Energy

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 View Post
    Why would I be charged $3 interest on a card with no balance
    Were you carrying a balance for a stretch of months and then paid it off? Sounds like residual interest. The period of time between the last statement date and the date the balance is paid off they are still charging interest, so that would carry over to the next statement, even with the zero balance.
    Old 08-22-2019, 04:41 PM   #2273
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nick@Night View Post
    Were you carrying a balance for a stretch of months and then paid it off? Sounds like residual interest. The period of time between the last statement date and the date the balance is paid off they are still charging interest, so that would carry over to the next statement, even with the zero balance.

Ah ha! That makes sense. I just paid off the balance on my last due date of 8/14

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Old 08-22-2019, 06:43 PM   #2274
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UCFish View Post
    Have you looked at Chase ink preferred? 80k points than refer p2 and get a 20k referral plus another 80. Doing that back and forth with my wife now as currently can get 2 each no problem....lot of points lol.
    Now onto Chase Ink #3 for me and wife is at 2 this year.

80k sign up bonus X 5
    20k referral bonus X 5 (one extra referral for brother)

500k chase points which worse case scenario is worth $7500 in travel.
    Old 08-22-2019, 06:55 PM   #2275
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

^
    How much does that one cost?
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-23-2019, 06:00 PM   #2276
    42graystreet
    Go Big Red!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 42graystreet View Post
    I've opened a few cards over the years just to get the intro bonus. Not recently as I'm on the verge of buying a home and don't want to fuck around with my credit score. Once that's behind me, I won't really have a reason to care about my credit score going down by a few points and I'll get back into it.
    Bought my place in July and I've already churned through 2 more cards. Nothing like those Chase Ink bonuses. $300 in total from a Fidelity Visa and BMO Harris Bank Mastercard. Both have no annual fee which I like because I can keep them open and build some long-term credit history. I hate opening cards for the bonus and having to close them to avoid the annual fee.
    Old 08-25-2019, 11:30 AM   #2277
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    ^
    How much does that one cost?
    $95 annual fee. Will close them each after 1 year and not pay the $95 a second time.
    Old 08-25-2019, 01:55 PM   #2278
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UCFish View Post
    $95 annual fee. Will close them each after 1 year and not pay the $95 a second time.
    Nice. So $500 in fees gets you about $7500 in travel rewards? Can they be transferred to any program? Whats the transfer % to Hilton and Marriot?

Also, Chase is okay with awarding points multiple times a year?
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-26-2019, 06:52 AM   #2279
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

My Tour Central Stats

The Cippy cup as it is being referred to right now will eventually dry up. It is kind of insane how people are able to hit it right now.

Chase has basically a 1 card every 3 months rule and also has the 5/24 rule which means you can't get any more cards if you have opened 5 personal in the last 24 months. That is the best part about these business cards is that they don't add on to your "5". Basically as long as you stay under 4 personal cards you can hit unlimited business cards without increasing that number.

If paired with the Chase Reserve you can redeem at 1.5 value. So each 80k signup (100k with referral) is technically $1200 ($1500 with referral) in travel. 2 Player mode works well to stack points quickly with a spouse. For transfer partners they are 1:1 with Hyatt, IHG, Marriott. Airlines 1:1 with Jetblue, Southwest, United and some non american carriers.
    Old 08-26-2019, 06:59 AM   #2280
    YouNeverKnow25

My Tour Central Stats

hilton points are worthless as transfer fodder IMO. marriott not great either.