Live Trax 55: Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre 4.29.09 - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > Live Releases

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-25-2021, 07:49 AM   #121
Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Live Trax 55: Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre 4.29.09

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbclstj2 View Post
Hope its not the May 2019 show, woof haha

I'd love the 1998 show to be released. One that I wish would see the day of light. Bela on the Stone is worth the price of the release alone.
Lmao, if they release that disgusting show, I think we may have a full blown rebellion.
Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-25-2021, 08:40 AM   #122
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Very excited about this release, I have a slight bias because I was there but this one on paper might not excite you, but this was a fun one a step above most Spring 2009 shows I've listened to. Worth the purchase IMHO.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by laststopdmb View Post
    I'm looking forward to the release too because I was also there. I remember these two shows being really solid and the band had a lot of energy. With that said, I think Pehlam and the two Vegas shows blew these shows out of the water. It still is crazy to wonder how these shows are picked. I think it's hilarious it's something this random when most of us thought a 2001 show was happening.
    I'll echo all of this. The 2 shows were really good and this will be a good release. It certainly isn't the best possible show from that tour/year or the best year to even pick but this will be solid and I'll always buy shows I attended.
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2021, 08:57 AM   #123
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    Lmao, if they release that disgusting show, I think we may have a full blown rebellion.
    Full blown rebellion isn’t possible when they’ve lost so much interest at this point. Who is left to care besides the few of us remaining hard cores?
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2021, 09:05 AM   #124
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Full blown rebellion isn’t possible when they’ve lost so much interest at this point. Who is left to care besides the few of us remaining hard cores?
    This. They still have a sizable following for shows when those become a thing again but their complete and utter lack of competent engagement on social media has really diminished interest in everything not live show related. For a band of their pedigree it's truly astonishing how bad they are at social media and how great it could be if they did it right.
    Old 03-25-2021, 09:24 AM   #125
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Very fair point. I guess I was comparing it to the complaints that were received right after that show actually happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old 03-25-2021, 09:36 AM   #126
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    This. They still have a sizable following for shows when those become a thing again but their complete and utter lack of competent engagement on social media has really diminished interest in everything not live show related. For a band of their pedigree it's truly astonishing how bad they are at social media and how great it could be if they did it right.
    100% agree. It's ironic that they were a band that really saw a lot of early success because of tape trading and yet they haven't adapted to the grassroots nature of the Internet and social media as an engagement tool at all.
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2021, 09:36 AM   #127
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They’re going to be struggling to sell week day shows whenever they return. It wasn’t going so hot pre-Covid, and they’ve definitely lost a ton of momentum since.

It’s really a shame to see them so poorly managed. I don’t know if that is all on management, on the band, some of both. But it’s pretty pathetic when they announce a live release and get such poor social media engagement. And at this point, I don’t even know if a better show choice would help. People seem to just not care anymore about this band.
    Old 03-25-2021, 09:46 AM   #128
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They’re going to be struggling to sell week day shows whenever they return. It wasn’t going so hot pre-Covid, and they’ve definitely lost a ton of momentum since.

It’s really a shame to see them so poorly managed. I don’t know if that is all on management, on the band, some of both. But it’s pretty pathetic when they announce a live release and get such poor social media engagement. And at this point, I don’t even know if a better show choice would help. People seem to just not care anymore about this band.
    I think people still care but they market for live releases of DMB is pretty heavily saturated. I mean this is LT 55 and there are tons of other types of releases too. How many different live albums does a casual fan need/want? You can a pretty comprehensive balance of their career with probably 5 or so releases in your collection. If I hadn't attended LT 55 I would have passed on buying it and I'm about as hardcore as fans can be in 2021.

I don't think they will struggle much the first tour or two after covid because everyone is so ready to get back to normal and do all the things, like concerts, that have been paused for over a year now. For arguments sake let's say they play full venue shows this fall. Those will sell well as well summer of 22. By summer of 23 I could see a dip in small market weekday shows as the rush to normalcy is over.
    Old 03-25-2021, 09:49 AM   #129
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

It is amazing how much they could do on socials to be one of the best follows in the music industry. If they opened up the archives a bit and let Copperpot or guys like Bruce or many of us here make the decisions they could be a social media powerhouse.
    Old 03-25-2021, 09:50 AM   #130
    bustedstuff88

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I am legitimately pissed off that this show made it over 4.25.09, and now that we have a ho-hum release from 4 nights later, that all but erases any chance of 4.25.09 ever getting the live release it has deserved from the moment the house lights came on that night.

Jesus christ management......you shit the bed BIG TIME with this pick.

2022: Alpine x2, Gorge x3, Minneapolis
    bustedstuff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2021, 09:58 AM   #131
    dmbclstj2

Shows Seen: 80

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bustedstuff88 View Post
    I am legitimately pissed off that this show made it over 4.25.09, and now that we have a ho-hum release from 4 nights later, that all but erases any chance of 4.25.09 ever getting the live release it has deserved from the moment the house lights came on that night.

To be honest, Nashville doesn't look any better or worse then the Alpharetta show.
    dmbclstj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2021, 10:03 AM   #132
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

I'm a little bummed they didn't offer a 8 track bonus disc from N1. That would've been cool.

Dreaming Tree
    ASTB (fake)->Ants
    PNP->Rapunzel
    Warehouse->
    Nancies
    Watchtower
    Stay or Leave
    Old 03-25-2021, 10:06 AM   #133
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think people still care but they market for live releases of DMB is pretty heavily saturated[/B]. I mean this is LT 55 and there are tons of other types of releases too. How many different live albums does a casual fan need/want? You can a pretty comprehensive balance of their career with probably 5 or so releases in your collection. If I hadn't attended LT 55 I would have passed on buying it and I'm about as hardcore as fans can be in 2021.
    Its very era-based. There’s some tours with almost no representation. Other acts with a heavy live presence still do fine despite tons of live material available. Part of the perceived saturation is due to the choices - the heavy-handed use of 2018/2019, and many shows with very similar sets being released.

Quote:
    I don't think they will struggle much the first tour or two after covid because everyone is so ready to get back to normal and do all the things, like concerts, that have been paused for over a year now. For arguments sake let's say they play full venue shows this fall. Those will sell well as well summer of 22. By summer of 23 I could see a dip in small market weekday shows as the rush to normalcy is over.
    Depends on a few things, including when the tour starts. I also think a lot of people may feel that they should target bucket-list bands now that we had an entire year off, the whole “who knows if I’ll ever be able to see them again”. DMB isn’t a bucket-list band. So some who may have gone to their shows in the past may be more likely to spend that ticket/trip money elsewhere.

I also think if the new album (what album?) isn’t good - and there’s no real reason to expect it to be better than Come Tomorrow - and they play it heavy in shows, they’re going to lose ticket sales to folks like me. I’m about as hardcore of the DMB fan that’s left. But if they’re going to shoehorn new stuff and further dilute sets, I just don’t know if I can justify the expense for something I only marginally like at this point.
    Old 03-25-2021, 10:21 AM   #134
    bustedstuff88

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    To be honest, Nashville doesn't look any better or worse then the Alpharetta show.
    Were you there or have you heard the tapes?

This show was BALLS TO THE WALL from jump

Old 03-25-2021, 11:18 AM   #135
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bustedstuff88 View Post

They have released consecutive nights in the LTs in the same tour independently. Two occurrences of it happening. You just have to be patient for them to swing back to spring '09.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2021, 11:43 AM   #136
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

My Tour Central Stats

Does anyone know how bands like Phish and Pearl Jam release all their shows? Are the individually mixed and mastered or is there some more streamlined way to push them out to the public so quickly?

I know it's just wishful thinking but if they are going to put so little effort into curating quality LT releases that will receive little more than a shrug they should really start considering just pushing out everything.
    Old 03-25-2021, 12:14 PM   #137
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Its very era-based. There’s some tours with almost no representation. Other acts with a heavy live presence still do fine despite tons of live material available. Part of the perceived saturation is due to the choices - the heavy-handed use of 2018/2019, and many shows with very similar sets being released.

Depends on a few things, including when the tour starts. I also think a lot of people may feel that they should target bucket-list bands now that we had an entire year off, the whole “who knows if I’ll ever be able to see them again”. DMB isn’t a bucket-list band. So some who may have gone to their shows in the past may be more likely to spend that ticket/trip money elsewhere.

I also think if the new album (what album?) isn’t good - and there’s no real reason to expect it to be better than Come Tomorrow - and they play it heavy in shows, they’re going to lose ticket sales to folks like me. I’m about as hardcore of the DMB fan that’s left. But if they’re going to shoehorn new stuff and further dilute sets, I just don’t know if I can justify the expense for something I only marginally like at this point.
    All very good points. Hopefully the new album is at least on par with BW. They shouldn't run it in to the ground in live shows regardless though. I'll see DM in whatever way he performs for as long as he performs. I know that doesn't apply to everyone though. The only act I'd consider skipping DMB for at the moment if there was a conflict in schedule is John Mayer. That's because I missed him during the last tour and he doesn't tour as often. There is no one else I'd rather see live and that will never really change.
    Old 03-25-2021, 12:17 PM   #138
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'll echo all of this. The 2 shows were really good and this will be a good release. It certainly isn't the best possible show from that tour/year or the best year to even pick but this will be solid and I'll always buy shows I attended.
    This is me, too

I stopped needing to have every single live album and LT a long while back

But I have LT32 because I was there
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2021, 01:20 PM   #139
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    Absolutely nothing. It's a great show. The mix isn't very good, so the LT loses a couple points for me, but I still give it 8/10.
    Yeah I mean can audio people look down at the mix? Sure. Those performances and in particular rois stand out. I quite enjoyed that release.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2021, 04:28 PM   #140
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Would it have been too much to just throw this in as a bonus for pre-ordering or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIEyodMs9zc
    Old 03-25-2021, 05:58 PM   #141
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    Would it have been too much to just throw this in as a bonus for pre-ordering or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIEyodMs9zc
    Ok I’ll just say it, I get there was a lot of hype about Blue Water “coming back” in 2009, but those versions are overrated. If it doesn’t have the jam, I don’t care about it, and I think it’s ridiculous this was considered a “liberation”
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2021, 05:59 PM   #142
    Aforauer

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
    Ok I’ll just say it, I get there was a lot of hype about Blue Water “coming back” in 2009, but those versions are overrated. If it doesn’t have the jam, I don’t care about it, and I think it’s ridiculous this was considered a “liberation”

If it doesn’t have Boyd solo it’s not Blue Water. It’s a tease/partial at most

Aforauer is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2021, 06:01 PM   #143
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Amen. It’s nothing more than a partial if that.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-26-2021, 05:05 AM   #144
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'll see DM in whatever way he performs for as long as he performs. I know that doesn't apply to everyone though. The only act I'd consider skipping DMB for at the moment if there was a conflict in schedule is John Mayer.
    I think I'd see Dave & Tim pretty much without second thought, but these days I feel like I'm just seeing the band out of habit. Especially since 2018. There's just so many other acts I want to see - Pearl Jam and Radiohead are probably at the top of the list of band's I haven't seen that I want to. I'm really tempted to try to see Elton John before he hangs it up. I'd love to see Billy Joel again. I plan to build on my Phish and Dead & Co shows. And there's tons of new and up-and-coming bands I want to see - caught Moon Taxi prior to COVID and would love to see them again. Going to see Goose in May and can't get enough of their stuff. Really want to get to a Rateliff/Night Sweats show.

I don't know, DMB just feels like it keeps dropping lower and lower on my list as time goes on and their sets and sound continues in a worse (to me) direction. That, combined with disappointing releases and lack of things like BTCS remaster and the lameness of the WH/packages - I feel like I'm at an all time low with my DMB fandom. And what is sad is that I don't really mind.
    Old 03-26-2021, 05:05 AM   #145
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I always have it in my mind that it's [Blue Water] with 1 or 2 verses, D&T have played it with a few versus + a jam; and to me that's a full Blue Water. But it's only a true Blue Water Baboon Farm if it has the full violin breakdown -> jam.
    Old 03-26-2021, 05:47 AM   #146
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aforauer View Post
    If it doesn’t have Boyd solo it’s not Blue Water. It’s a tease/partial at most

Well 4/25/09 did have a Boyd solo. It’s still not really “full” IMO. It should have come back with the intense jam way back in at least 2000. like they may have a legit argument to why it never came back in the last years of 3.0., because Boyd was such a mess. It should have come back sometime after 1995, but when Boyd was still competent. Such a shame really the last full version is in 1995, and it will never be seen again. This band is so frustrating sometimes

Last edited by tyler3440; 03-26-2021 at 05:51 AM.
    tyler3440 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-26-2021, 07:28 AM   #147
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 72

My Tour Central Stats

Ahhh...the 'ol "You didn't see a REAL Blue Water, it wasn't that special" garbage.

I've been on the boards long enough to know that if one of those Blue Waters happened at SPAC or Camden people wouldn't be so uptight with "Well it didn't fit X criteria, so what's the big deal". These were really cool moments, jam or no jam. But, I'm sure Sister would have been so much better in that slot.
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-26-2021, 07:34 AM   #148
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by btpeters View Post
    Ahhh...the 'ol "You didn't see a REAL Blue Water, it wasn't that special" garbage.

I've been on the boards long enough to know that if one of those Blue Waters happened at SPAC or Camden people wouldn't be so uptight with "Well it didn't fit X criteria, so what's the big deal". These were really cool moments, jam or no jam. But, I'm sure Sister would have been so much better in that slot.
    Blue Water at SPAC in 2019 was a partial, too.
    Old 03-26-2021, 07:38 AM   #149
    bustedstuff88

My Tour Central Stats

Somebody go listen to Blue Water from 4.25.2009 and tell me thats "partial"...Maybe partial in the contact of the bands entire career but in the context of Spring 2009 it was most definetly a full on BW, including Boyd jumping through the hoop for the solo.

Old 03-26-2021, 07:49 AM   #150
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Just to be clear, I just like the idea of having that Blue Water (or one of the Blue Waters from 2009) released because its unique. And I only suggested it as a bonus. It would not be my first choice of songs to be released, obviously. But if they released a Spring 2009 bonus disc with a variety of songs from different shows that were apart of that tour, I wouldn't mind having it.