2021 Tour Idea - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
View Poll Results: How many shows would you attend in 2021 Drive In Tour?
More Shows 9 8.11%
Same shows 22 19.82%
Less Shows 34 30.63%
No Shows 46 41.44%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2020, 01:58 PM   #61
somuchtoplay

Shows Seen: 32

Re: 2021 Tour Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDMB View Post
The venues wont be the problem with shows next year. The band itself will most likely choose not to tour, out of an abundance of caution (phrase of the year). I dont see them wanting to put fans in that situation.

I wonder if they have started the process of routing the tour for 2022 yet. Seems like at this point it would be the prudent thing to do--worst case you find a way to kick the can down the road a year, best case work is done for the following year.
somuchtoplay is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-29-2020, 04:25 PM   #62
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

Shows Seen: 36

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post

Oh noes!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Old 10-29-2020, 06:56 PM   #63
    podiumboy

Shows Seen: 17

I really can't imagine DMB fucking with drive-in concerts or 1/3 full football stadiums. Like somebody else said, they'll just kick the can further down the road and hope for the best for 2022.
    podiumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-29-2020, 06:59 PM   #64
    podiumboy

Quote:
    wait, people still think the 2021 Tour is happening?
    My friend (who is my go to DMB concert partner since 2002) really does believe 2021 is happening, and he thinks I'm "irresponsibly pessimistic" to believe otherwise. He's somebody who pretty much stays at home all day and never goes anywhere due to the pandemic, but he legit believes the vaccine is going to change the game that quickly.

This thing just has too much momentum to get better by June to the point where they're going to let 20,000 people cram in a 20,000 capacity venue together. I feel like in the last month most people have come around to the reality that 2021 is basically also cancelled.
    Old 10-29-2020, 07:25 PM   #65
    tubaguy1145

Shows Seen: 16

In the event 2021 is cancelled, I hope the band finds some creative ways to reach their fans. That MMW Zoom workshop I mentioned earlier in this thread was incredible. The trio reminisced about meeting and playing together for the first time, then they showed two never-before-seen performances from their very first gigs (one of their dads had recorded it on a vhs camcorder, lol). About 25 minutes of music total. Then they broke down the different parts of each song and talked about the process of composing. Finally they took audience questions, one of which led to a 15-20 minute discussion of how their practice habits have evolved over time. In future sessions, it sounds like they will be together in one place (they were all in different cities this week) and they alluded to some surprises coming.

If DMB did something like this, hardcore fans would freak out. I’d pay my whole concert ticket budget to be part of something like this with the band.
    Old 10-29-2020, 10:08 PM   #66
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 31

Quote:
    Originally Posted by podiumboy View Post
    My friend (who is my go to DMB concert partner since 2002) really does believe 2021 is happening, and he thinks I'm "irresponsibly pessimistic" to believe otherwise. He's somebody who pretty much stays at home all day and never goes anywhere due to the pandemic, but he legit believes the vaccine is going to change the game that quickly.

This thing just has too much momentum to get better by June to the point where they're going to let 20,000 people cram in a 20,000 capacity venue together. I feel like in the last month most people have come around to the reality that 2021 is basically also cancelled.
    The thing w/ vaccines, is that they aren't a guarantee AND you have to get EVERYONE to get it for maximum effectiveness. The flu shot is a vaccine, but they keep mixing new versions or cycling through variations depending upon the strain or strains going around any given year. The vaccine will only be good if can address the current iteration of COVID-19 AND COVID-19 DOESN'T mutate.

The first year of any vaccine is going to be rough, especially when tens of millions of people, maybe even 100 million+ still either don't believe it's real or aren't taking it seriously. Those folks that drank the hoax kool aid aren't likely to bother getting vaccinated at all, especially the folks think the "vaccine" is only a ploy to chip them and take away their freeberty.

Using the stage in the round format for Drive Ins, stadium shows, or festival style "field" shows would maximize ticket sales and provide the best opportunity to keep people properly distanced.

The biggest issues will be enforcement related. Who's going to be telling everyone to keep their distance and stay masked? And then what are they going to do if the uncooperative folks refuse to comply? Are they dragging them out? Do you stop the show to deal w/ this?
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-29-2020, 10:43 PM   #67
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 45

If there is a vaccine and/or a good treatment for those who get bad cases there is no reason not to resume life as it was pre-covid.

The only issue for that as it relates to things like concert tours is timing.
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-30-2020, 11:29 AM   #68
    eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 36

Imagine them trying to set up a show in some place like the Blossom lots

If you’ve never been to Blossom, there are several smaller lots spread out pretty far throughout the park. Blossom overall is massively overrated on here tbh. I’ve been there 3 times now and I really don’t get the hype.
    eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-30-2020, 11:40 AM   #69
    podiumboy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    If there is a vaccine and/or a good treatment for those who get bad cases there is no reason not to resume life as it was pre-covid.

The only issue for that as it relates to things like concert tours is timing.
    I 100% agree with you. But I feel like too much emphasis is, and will always be, put on the number of CASES. As long as there are cases, large events won’t happen. Even with a vaccine and treatments, and an overall low risk to people under a certain age. The precedent has been set, and it’s going to take people a long time to train themselves to think differently.
    Old 10-30-2020, 11:48 AM   #70
    somuchtoplay

Quote:
    I 100% agree with you. But I feel like too much emphasis is, and will always be, put on the number of CASES. As long as there are cases, large events wonít happen. Even with a vaccine and treatments, and an overall low risk to people under a certain age. The precedent has been set, and itís going to take people a long time to train themselves to think differently.

Personally, I don't think the covid-19 virus will ever just disappear or go away, i think it will be like a strep/flu thing that is just easily/quickly detectable and manageable with treatment. At a certain point, they will have to open things up and let people decide what their appetite for risk is--I dont think it will be anytime soon, but eventually they will have to say hey, you are allowed to try. It will probably be 5 years before things are comfortably normal again in terms of being allowed and people putting their guards down.
    Old 10-30-2020, 12:16 PM   #71
    monizzle145

Shows Seen: 23

The only possible option is 25% football or baseball venues and that idea is brutal just because of how horrible those venues are for sound and view.

I live here in Connecticut Where South Farms had comedy shows and concerrts. There were artists/acts that do 3,000 person clubs and theaters like Warren Haynes, Citizen Cope, Macnhester Orchestra were quickly selling out pod type seating at $150 ro $200+ a pod (no cars you get a circle in a gid of 1-4 people).

Mid tier acts like the Avett Bros and Umphrey's Mcgee were filling up speedways in larger markets in GA and NC and they typically also do 3,00-8,000 person venues when i have seen them. Given this high demand for mid tier acts DMB is way too big for a drive in type show.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Monizzle145
    monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-30-2020, 12:23 PM   #72
    somuchtoplay

There are also a lot of college football stadiums that could be used. For a DMB-sized band they would have to play multiple shows and possibly have to implement restrictions to prevent traveling. If they play a show in Ohio, only people from Ohio can attend, if they play a show in NY, only NY residents can attend, etc. or some kind of mileage radius. I don't know the answer, but it seems like people traveling to see shows in another state is a good way to bring covid home with them and start new breakouts.
    Old 10-30-2020, 01:07 PM   #73
    podiumboy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by somuchtoplay View Post
    There are also a lot of college football stadiums that could be used. For a DMB-sized band they would have to play multiple shows and possibly have to implement restrictions to prevent traveling. If they play a show in Ohio, only people from Ohio can attend, if they play a show in NY, only NY residents can attend, etc. or some kind of mileage radius. I don't know the answer, but it seems like people traveling to see shows in another state is a good way to bring covid home with them and start new breakouts.
    Right. Like I live in Columbus, the OSU football stadium holds 100,000. Make the capacity 20,000 and spread people out. Iíd definitely go to that, even if I did have to wear a mask the whole time. Better than nothing, and I still think itíd be a great time!
    Old 10-30-2020, 01:29 PM   #74
    RiotAct
    v Ruined Grey Street v

Shows Seen: 43

Quote:

Haha. Even when the vaccine does come out, the narrative will shift to "welp, not enough people have gotten it, better safe than sorry". At least for quite a while.

12.18.2002 - R.I.P. Grey St third verse
    07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-30-2020, 06:57 PM   #75
    podiumboy

Quote:
    Haha. Even when the vaccine does come out, the narrative will shift to "welp, not enough people have gotten it, better safe than sorry". At least for quite a while.
    I agree with 100%. The goalpost keeps moving.

My thing is; if a safe and somewhat effective vaccine is in widespread circulation by June, and they continue to get better at treating covid between now and then, then guess what? Strap a mask on my face and let me into those DMB shows! I'm in a safe age demographic, not worried about myself. I will do my due diligence for the 2 weeks following the show and do a soft quarantine, like not go to restaurants, not expose myself to anybody outside of my bubble, or who is considered high risk. And after those 2 weeks I will happily get tested just to put everybody's mind at ease.

I don't see what's so wrong with that. However, several people on this board will flame me for having this opinion. I'm not a Trump loving, Grandma killing moron. I have been doing my thorough research on this pandemic since day 1.
    Old 11-01-2020, 09:52 AM   #76
    IndyDMB

Shows Seen: 100

Quote:
    I agree with 100%. The goalpost keeps moving.

My thing is; if a safe and somewhat effective vaccine is in widespread circulation by June, and they continue to get better at treating covid between now and then, then guess what? Strap a mask on my face and let me into those DMB shows! I'm in a safe age demographic, not worried about myself. I will do my due diligence for the 2 weeks following the show and do a soft quarantine, like not go to restaurants, not expose myself to anybody outside of my bubble, or who is considered high risk. And after those 2 weeks I will happily get tested just to put everybody's mind at ease.

I don't see what's so wrong with that. However, several people on this board will flame me for having this opinion. I'm not a Trump loving, Grandma killing moron. I have been doing my thorough research on this pandemic since day 1.
    Once this mindset dies, there will be shows. That's the goalpost, always has been.

2022 - Deer Creek
    IndyDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-01-2020, 07:24 PM   #77
    podiumboy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IndyDMB View Post
    Once this mindset dies, there will be shows. That's the goalpost, always has been.
    My mindset needs to die, or the mindset of those who disagree with me?
    Old 11-07-2020, 12:35 AM   #78
    Strokjl

No shows because of the format. I wouldn’t think twice going today, November 6, 2020, if there was one. The reaction to covid is so far out of hand. A virus that 99.9+ percent of people under 60 survive is not a serious threat to society. Cases mean nothing without context, and even less so when testing is off the charts. Never have we shut down the arts and all things that make life enjoyable for disease like this. No different than any ILI since the Spanish flu. It’s sad and infuriating that people so easily allow fools to take away the things that make life worth living.

Given that Dave has bought into the hysteria, we may never see an actual DMB concert again.

Last edited by Strokjl; 11-07-2020 at 12:37 AM.
    Strokjl is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-07-2020, 09:09 PM   #79
    podiumboy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Strokjl View Post
    No shows because of the format. I wouldnít think twice going today, November 6, 2020, if there was one. The reaction to covid is so far out of hand. A virus that 99.9+ percent of people under 60 survive is not a serious threat to society. Cases mean nothing without context, and even less so when testing is off the charts. Never have we shut down the arts and all things that make life enjoyable for disease like this. No different than any ILI since the Spanish flu. Itís sad and infuriating that people so easily allow fools to take away the things that make life worth living.

Given that Dave has bought into the hysteria, we may never see an actual DMB concert again.
    You're not going to be very popular around here with that viewpoint, haha!

Seriously though... if DMB came to my city today, November 7 2020, and played in our local arena for 20,000 people... I'd go. Strap on my mask, and inside I go. If by some miracle the shows next summer happen, I'm going to as many as I possibly can. This pandemic, and moreso the response to this pandemic, has shown me that life is short and the "next tour" is not always a guarantee.

But yeah, Dave is all in on this. Even if they told him he could perform the concerts, he might not.
    Old 11-09-2020, 11:46 AM   #80
    RiotAct
    v Ruined Grey Street v

Shows Seen: 43

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Strokjl View Post
    Itís sad and infuriating that people so easily allow fools to take away the things that make life worth living.

Yes!!! This is exactly what I've been telling others as well.

For instance, one of the things I look forward to most every year (besides concerts) - going to Bills games.

New York State braniacs-in-charge: Masks work!!!

Bills Stadium: outdoors. Open-air

Other states: 10-30% capacity for NFL games with no issues, attendees wearing masks, everyone is happy

New York State: NO BILLS GAMES FOR YOU!

Boggles the mind.

12.18.2002 - R.I.P. Grey St third verse
    07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-12-2020, 08:38 PM   #81
    Jake C

Shows Seen: 0

Guess it will be more like this...

https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...-concerts-plan

- J
    Jake C is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-12-2020, 08:49 PM   #82
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jake C View Post
    Guess it will be more like this...

https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...-concerts-plan

- J
    Interesting. If this gets approved and it means we can have concerts, dmb or otherwise, I'm all for it.
    Old 11-12-2020, 08:55 PM   #83
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

I assume if this plan was put onto practice there would be no need for or requirement to be masked or distanced at the events. Sign me up for this! Let's get it going.
    Old 11-12-2020, 09:27 PM   #84
    fast_gti

Shows Seen: 5

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    For those voting no would you go if the tour was normal? Are you not going to these shows because of the proposed format or is it for another reason?

No in the format proposed. I would go to more shows than average in the traditional format, if we had a vaccine for COVID.
    fast_gti is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-15-2020, 10:40 PM   #85
    monizzle145

Shows Seen: 23

I just went to a grid based show on a hill last Sunday here in Morris CT to see Warren Haynes and Danny Louis. They had 250 grid spaces with a max capacity of 2 people per gird. No cars in the grid but you could bring a lawn chair. I think it worked great for the demand of Warren and Danny. They also had acts like Goose, Citizen Cope, Manchester Orchestra as well as some popular comedy shows like Bill Burr.

Next year i see this idea being executed in more areas of the country for mid tier or smaller acts. After going i doubt DMB will tour next year. The parking lot ideas wont work for acts with the demand of DMB and the cost of a 25% full football stadium or ballpark doesn't seem profitable or practical.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Monizzle145
    monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-15-2020, 11:33 PM   #86
    tubaguy1145

Shows Seen: 16

At least one of the big hospital groups in my area is circulating word internally that staff will be vaccinated by Christmas. If that happens, and a vaccine rollout for vulnerable populations follows this winter, then there just may be enough time to vaccinate enough of the general population in the spring so that larger gatherings can happen by next summer. It will be close, but some sort of tour may be possible. I’m cautiously optimistic right now.
    Old 11-16-2020, 12:53 AM   #87
    Tom Brady

Shows Seen: 41

Any chance we get a Dave and Tim your? Seems way lsss expensive if you were playing for half empty buildings
    Tom Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2020, 08:33 AM   #88
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tom Brady View Post
    Any chance we get a Dave and Tim your? Seems way lsss expensive if you were playing for half empty buildings
    That might be possible. They could do 3 night stops in each city with all those distancing measures the smaller acts use. That way they could make their money and everyone that wanted could make it to at least one show in their market.
    Old 11-16-2020, 08:37 AM   #89
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 15

With the vaccine on its way (and itís pretty promising) I really donít see why a tour canít happen.
    Old 11-16-2020, 08:46 AM   #90
    podiumboy

Elton John just moved all of his 2020 North American shows to 2022. Just said fuck 2021! I was supposed to go to the Columbus show in April of 2020, and now itís taking place in April 2022. This dudeís not playin.

Given the recent announcement about vaccines, combined with the fact that Biden is probably going to do a nationwide lockdown in about feb/March, I am now about 50/50 on DMBís summer tour.