The NHL Thread - Page 2404 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion > The Tailgate
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 10-20-2017, 10:15 AM   #72091
TMoore4075
RIP LeRoi: 1961-2008

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The NHL Thread (Penns are garage league champs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroshady View Post
Overall I think it is good for hockey that the level of play has been raised. I think the NHL playoffs have been fantastic too.

The Rangers have no one to blame but themselves. I may love my NY Rangers, but if they don't deserve to get in, than so be it. I would rather good teams get in than my Rangers sneaking in with a .500 or so record.
Oh I agree, I think it's better for the NHL, although it made upsets a little more fun for me back in the day when there were big gaps between 1 and 8. But it is great and this is coming from a guy whose team benefited from no cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
I am so jealous of the coyotes right now.
TMoore4075 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-20-2017, 10:50 AM   #72092
    TMoore4075

My Tour Central Stats

Looks like Wings are close to signing Athanasiou to a 1 year deal. Wings upped their 1 year offer from 1.25 to reportedly 1.5. It makes sense for him and the Wings. Sitting out wasn't getting him anywhere and Wings weren't gonna cave on the 2 year deal. A one year deal for a little more (but less of a cap hit than the 2 year deal) is good for the Wings and good for him to get paid and on the ice plus is eligible for arbitration. if he wanted an NHL career, sitting out the whole year made 0 sense on every level because he'd be exactly in the same spot next summer as this past summer. Does this make the Wings better? Sure but not much but I am glad we'll most likely see him soon.

Quote:
    Old 10-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #72093
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by swordo84 View Post
    His first year was 2011/2012
    Thanks, I was unsure. So he has spend about 5 years less than Toews in the NHL so the new faceoff rule is probably slightly easier for him to adjust to - SLIGHTLY being the keyword.
    Old 10-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #72094
    fonzz41
    The Gabe Abides

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lcsulla View Post
    Matty, happy to see you guys are still off to a good start, 8 points so far, only 3 off the WC lead - yeah I know it is early but still, making strides!
    Making a lot of strides, yes, but still a lot of work to be done. Two straight losses has me thinking back to last season (although there were moments of greatness in each).
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swordo84 View Post
    It's not every day that one player can make Duncan Keith (who had him covered pretty well) look helpless. One of the most amazing plays I have seen in a long time.
    Anyone that disagrees with Matty is wrong and should go fuck themselves.
    fonzz41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-20-2017, 12:46 PM   #72095
    fonzz41
    The Gabe Abides

My Tour Central Stats

Discussion question for you guys:

So, last night the Avs tied up the game against StL with about 3 minutes left. The Blues challenged the goal, saying that an Avs player had been offsides prior to the goal being scored. After review, the goal was overturned and the Avs ended up losing.

Today, the NHL released a statement saying the officials actually messed up and that the goal was not reviewable (explanation below), obviously meaning the outcome of the game could have been significantly different.

League's mea culpa: https://www.nhl.com/news/situation-r...?tid=280504338

Yes, I have been on the side that has argued that a lot more goes into a game than one goal, but what, if anything, do you guys think the NHL should do in a situation like this? Give the losing team a consolation point? Replay the last 3 minutes of the game next time the Avs and Blues play? Shrug their shoulders, chalk it up to the human factor of sports, and say "sorry", a la Brett Hull's Cup winning goal? (most likely)

I'm not furious or anything like that, just interested in your thoughts on what should happen when a review situation like this ends up playing a major consequence in who wins/loses the game.
    Old 10-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #72096
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Matty,

That is an interesting scenario but I don't think much can be done to "reward" the Avs. If they replay three minutes of the game there is no way to duplicate all factors that took place in the game the goal was taken away. If they give a point to them then that means that has to be the standard going forward and what determines a team getting a point due to a goal incorrectly being taken away? If a team loses 5-2 but had a goal mistakenly taken away, do they still get a point? If a team gets a goal taken away in the first period but loses by one do they still get a point taken away?

Unfortunately I think it gets chalked up as human error and a tough case for the Avs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kev87lads View Post
    Go Kings Go.
    dmbetc is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-20-2017, 12:58 PM   #72097
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

So, last night the Avs tied up the game against StL with about 3 minutes left. The Blues challenged the goal, saying that an Avs player had been offsides prior to the goal being scored. After review, the goal was overturned and the Avs ended up losing.

Today, the NHL released a statement saying the officials actually messed up and that the goal was not reviewable (explanation below), obviously meaning the outcome of the game could have been significantly different.

Yes, I have been on the side that has argued that a lot more goes into a game than one goal, but what, if anything, do you guys think the NHL should do in a situation like this? Give the losing team a consolation point? Replay the last 3 minutes of the game next time the Avs and Blues play? Shrug their shoulders, chalk it up to the human factor of sports, and say "sorry", a la Brett Hull's Cup winning goal? (most likely)

I'm not furious or anything like that, just interested in your thoughts on what should happen when a review situation like this ends up playing a major consequence in who wins/loses the game.
    I certainly don't think any of these are the solution. I think you need to just chalk it up as a lesson learned. When you overreact or overcorrect to outliers like last night, you usually just cause more problems than you solve.
    Old 10-20-2017, 12:59 PM   #72098
    Brohan_Santana

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

There's nothing you can do other than using it as a learning experience to avoid this in this future.
    Brohan_Santana is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #72099
    fonzz41
    The Gabe Abides

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbetc View Post
    Matty,

That is an interesting scenario but I don't think much can be done to "reward" the Avs. If they replay three minutes of the game there is no way to duplicate all factors that took place in the game the goal was taken away. If they give a point to them then that means that has to be the standard going forward and what determines a team getting a point due to a goal incorrectly being taken away? If a team loses 5-2 but had a goal mistakenly taken away, do they still get a point? If a team gets a goal taken away in the first period but loses by one do they still get a point taken away?

Unfortunately I think it gets chalked up as human error and a tough case for the Avs.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    I certainly don't think any of these are the solution. I think you need to just chalk it up as a lesson learned. When you overreact or overcorrect to outliers like last night, you usually just cause more problems than you solve.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana View Post
    There's nothing you can do other than using it as a learning experience to avoid this in this future.
    This is my thinking as well. Could end up causing a lot of weird problems in the future.
    Old 10-20-2017, 01:05 PM   #72100
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

I don't know how you could possibly justify anything else.
    Old 10-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #72101
    Chumlee67
    A.K.A. Marshmont

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I agree with the sentiments of those before. I think it needs to be calked up as a unfortunate circumstance and a learning point. I would be pissed if that was my team, and I think justifiably so.

List of Officially Released Tracks:
    Thread -- Website / Document (Defunct) / Sheet (Defunct)
    Last Update: 09/06/2019
    Chumlee67 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #72102
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Wow, that sucks man - I am sorry to hear that, I was not aware the NHL had commented. I thought it was a good goal and the officials botched the challenge last night - nice to see I am not the only one who believed the refs blew that one!

As for what I think, I believe the Avs should get a point in the standing. St. Louis is damn good but with so little time left in t he game I believe it would likely have gone to OT where anything goes so giving them a point in the standings would be what I would advocate for.
    Old 10-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #72103
    fonzz41
    The Gabe Abides

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Wow, that sucks man - I am sorry to hear that, I was not aware the NHL had commented. I thought it was a good goal and the officials botched the challenge last night - nice to see I am not the only one who believed the refs blew that one!

As for what I think, I believe the Avs should get a point in the standing. St. Louis is damn good but with so little time left in t he game I believe it would likely have gone to OT where anything goes so giving them a point in the standings would be what I would advocate for.
    Yeah, if anything, maybe giving the Avs a point would be OK. But like others have said, that sets precedence for future blown calls. What blown call then "merits" a consolation point. Bleh. Like chumlee said, I'm probably only thinking about it because it was my team.

The weird thing about the whole situation is that it WAS offsides. But because it was never called and the player/puck exited the zone before re-entering and scoring, it was not a REVIEWABLE play.
    Old 10-20-2017, 01:46 PM   #72104
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, if anything, maybe giving the Avs a point would be OK. But like others have said, that sets precedence for future blown calls. What blown call then "merits" a consolation point. Bleh. Like chumlee said, I'm probably only thinking about it because it was my team.

The weird thing about the whole situation is that it WAS offsides. But because it was never called and the player/puck exited the zone before re-entering and scoring, it was not a REVIEWABLE play.
    Agreed, it does set a lousy precedent but I still think your Avs got screwed and deserve something more than a simple apology.
    Old 10-20-2017, 04:42 PM   #72105
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Friday night against the Pens and Florida’s arena is emptyyy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-20-2017, 05:48 PM   #72106
    TMoore4075

My Tour Central Stats

A lot of empty seats at LCA tonight. Ticket prices are stupid so I wonder how much of it is that.

Quote:
    Old 10-20-2017, 06:52 PM   #72107
    barbogast
    Two's a Perfect Number

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

So, I just got home from work, turn the tv to the game, and immediately jump into Carlson putting the puck over the glass. Then I see it’s a 2-2 game with 8 minutes in the 3rd. Cool. So then without fail, I watch Tomas Tatar, who is sitting on my fantasy bench, score the go ahead goal, only to then learn he also scored the tying goal.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRS1386 View Post
    I sort of want the Caps to win because Barbs is awesome
    barbogast is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #72108
    barbogast
    Two's a Perfect Number

My Tour Central Stats

Well hey now. That turned out pretty good.

Quote:
    Old 10-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #72109
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

Marchand with a pretty good sense of humor here. I am not a twitter person so he could do things like this often and I do not see them but this was thrown in an espn article I was reading and I got an actual laugh out of it and figured I would share.

https://twitter.com/Bmarch63/status/...n.com%2Fnhl%2F
    Old 10-21-2017, 12:34 PM   #72110
    kev87lads
    HipHah

Shows Seen: 83

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Take that Oil. Sorry Swordo
    Kev the real MVP here.
    MSG made it 83!
    kev87lads is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #72111
    TMoore4075

My Tour Central Stats

Sheahan to Pens. That’ll make the space for AA. Smartest move right there as he probably was t back next season so it gets you a pick and free space for AA. Wings still suck though.

Quote:
    Old 10-21-2017, 04:46 PM   #72112
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

It is a shame the Yankees did not polish off the Astros last night and have to play game 7 tonight. I would have loved to give my full attention to seeing Nik Hjalmarsson face the Hawks for the first time. Obviously a game 7 in baseball will take priority but I hope I can tape or see the Hawks game afterwords on my NHL.tv subsciption because I expect Nik will get some well deserved handshakes from all his former team-mates before the game begins. I can only imagine the welcome Chicago will give him when he makes his return to the UC!
    Old 10-21-2017, 07:20 PM   #72113
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Sutter must be slamming shots watching this King’s team do good with Dustin on the top line. It’s glorious.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kev87lads View Post
    Go Kings Go.
    dmbetc is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-21-2017, 08:35 PM   #72114
    bradshaw06

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Niemi is bad
    Old 10-21-2017, 10:58 PM   #72115
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

Shows Seen: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Golden Knights are STILL the best franchise ever!!!

The plot is always moving forward.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    So is a glacier.
    BotheLaneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-21-2017, 11:46 PM   #72116
    ~Crashintome89~
    gregdog love in pa

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Marchand with a pretty good sense of humor here. I am not a twitter person so he could do things like this often and I do not see them but this was thrown in an espn article I was reading and I got an actual laugh out of it and figured I would share.

https://twitter.com/Bmarch63/status/...n.com%2Fnhl%2F
    Really?

Cause I think that's garbage.
    Claude Giroux is a national treasure.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brohan Santana
    Can someone please tell me what a Gordie Howe Hat Trick is?
    ~Crashintome89~ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-22-2017, 04:42 AM   #72117
    barbogast
    Two's a Perfect Number

My Tour Central Stats

The fact that Marchand not only acknowledges how dirty of a player he is but also promotes it with a joke on Twitter is exactly why Brad Marchand is the worst player currently in the NHL.

Quote:

Last edited by barbogast; 10-22-2017 at 04:43 AM.
    Old 10-22-2017, 04:59 AM   #72118
    TMoore4075

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by barbogast View Post
    The fact that Marchand not only acknowledges how dirty of a player he is but also promotes it with a joke on Twitter is exactly why Brad Marchand is the worst player currently in the NHL.
    *Hits the like button*

Quote:
    Old 10-22-2017, 08:48 AM   #72119
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by barbogast View Post
    I know he is dirty as hell, I just thought the controller tweet was funny because it is so accurate.

Ended up watching the full Hawks/Yotes game last night and got some redemption after that Yankees loss but I was actually impressed with Phoenix. I know their record is awful but I do not think they are as bad as their record shows. They have one damn good O line, a solid defense and damn good penalty kill. If they had a serviceable goalie (Raanta should help that when he gets healthy) and a decent power play they could be potential spoilers to some good teams.
    Old 10-22-2017, 10:31 AM   #72120
    barbogast
    Two's a Perfect Number

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I know he is dirty as hell, I just thought the controller tweet was funny because it is so accurate.

Ended up watching the full Hawks/Yotes game last night and got some redemption after that Yankees loss but I was actually impressed with Phoenix. I know their record is awful but I do not think they are as bad as their record shows. They have one damn good O line, a solid defense and damn good penalty kill. If they had a serviceable goalie (Raanta should help that when he gets healthy) and a decent power play they could be potential spoilers to some good teams.
    The image itself is funny and it wasn’t originally created by Marchand. What I don’t like that he retweeted it in an attempt to self promote, indicating that he a) fully acknowledges he’s a dirty player and b) is willing to create a personal brand around being a dirty player. It reinforces exactly how much he sucks.

Quote:

Tags
    #brohan1519