First Song of 2021 - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-25-2021, 05:49 AM   #31
Hilly

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: First Song of 2021

Come Tomorrow.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-25-2021, 08:43 AM   #32
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

SEVEN! Duh.

You you you you!!!
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-25-2021, 05:11 PM   #33
    JimmyJB22

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Ants would be so awesome! It's like a nice warm blanket, like everything is ok and "we never went away." Plus, it can shake the rafters and it's a rare opener these days.
    JimmyJB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-26-2021, 05:38 PM   #34
    rhd9b
    wahoos

Shows Seen: 86

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

I did it
    Old 06-27-2021, 07:26 AM   #35
    Cobo

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Blue Water Baboon Farm (truncated)->Typical Situation. Bank it.
    Cobo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-27-2021, 08:08 AM   #36
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

One sweet world I feel like opens 40% of shows
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-27-2021, 08:13 AM   #37
    dmbfan4ever
    IamwhoiamwhoamI

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

I’m afraid the first song will be chosen to get the sound right on stage and get them comfortable. So can definitely see one sweet world or do you remember.
    Old 06-29-2021, 07:09 PM   #38
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I'm going with Granny.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-06-2021, 08:48 PM   #39
    8nalive

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

The Last Stop
    8nalive is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2021, 06:06 AM   #40
    Jordan#41

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Rye Whiskey
    Jordan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2021, 08:46 AM   #41
    #40BigEyedFish

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

hello again
    #40BigEyedFish is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2021, 07:58 AM   #42
    ISawTheBridge10

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

So when Phish regrouped in 2009 and played their first show in Hampton, they kicked things off with Fluffhead. For those unfamiliar, that song is a major-fan favorite and had not been played since 2000.

My question is: what would everyone consider to be DMB's Fluffhead in this situation? When they take the stage in a couple of weeks, what opening chords would be met with universal acclaim of elation AND surprise?

Obviously it doesn't matter--the crowd is going to go bonkers whatever they play. Just wondering what song would get the biggest surprised reaction.

Also, if you've never seen the Fluffhead video from 2009, it's something that even non-Phish fans can appreciate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4POwr8pmlWM

Can't wait for July 23.
    ISawTheBridge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2021, 08:15 AM   #43
    phoolhearted

Shows Seen: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ISawTheBridge10 View Post
    So when Phish regrouped in 2009 and played their first show in Hampton, they kicked things off with Fluffhead. For those unfamiliar, that song is a major-fan favorite and had not been played since 2000.

My question is: what would everyone consider to be DMB's Fluffhead in this situation? When they take the stage in a couple of weeks, what opening chords would be met with universal acclaim of elation AND surprise?

Obviously it doesn't matter--the crowd is going to go bonkers whatever they play. Just wondering what song would get the biggest surprised reaction.

Also, if you've never seen the Fluffhead video from 2009, it's something that even non-Phish fans can appreciate.

Can't wait for July 23.
    I love me some DMB, but idk anything that could come close to that moment. That was a bunch of people who thought they'd NEVER see that band again playing one of their most storied and quintessential songs.

Just looking at the Almanac's liberation list, though: Dreaming Tree, Good Good Time, Kit-Kat Jam, #40

I'm personally hoping for BOWA, but could definitely see a #40 (tease at least) happening.
    phoolhearted is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2021, 08:20 AM   #44
    DDTW4136

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ISawTheBridge10 View Post

Can't wait for July 23.
    I dont think DMB can match this moment just cause of the length of time phish was away and WHY they were away.

Also, if you wanna equate fluffhead to a dmb tune, itd have to be a top tier tune like two step, ants, crush, none of which have disappeared like fluff did during 2.0.

i guess the closest thing to this moment would be if DMB opened with Two Step with the full jam.

if you wanna know which song would get the biggest surprise reaction (that has a chance of being played) i'd go with Last Stop

Last edited by DDTW4136; 07-08-2021 at 08:23 AM.
    DDTW4136 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2021, 08:55 AM   #45
    yankeesguy86

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Outside the box idea: Stay.

Saw this open an electric set in 2014 and it was phenomenal in that role. It's the ultimate summer song, and a nice punch of energy.

Is this my first choice? Not at all. Granny, BOWA, OSW, Hello Again all top it. But, would be a cool way to kick things off.
    02 12/14 03 7/3 04 6/18; 8/7 05 6/2,13; 7/23,24; 11/30 06 5/30; 6/2,3; 7/1,2; 9/15 07 7/8; 8/17,18,25,26 08 8/9, 10 09 7/18,19; 8/1 10 6/16,18,19; 7/3,4; 9/17,18 11 7/8,9,10 12 6/22; 7/6,7 13 6/21, 22; 7/5,6 14 6/20,21; 7/4,5 15 7/15,17,18,25,26,31; 8/1
    yankeesguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2021, 09:18 AM   #46
    Cuse_41

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

My guess is they open with Ants. Not my first choice. I'm gonna be there though and I bet the place would go crazy.
    Cuse_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2021, 09:25 AM   #47
    ISawTheBridge10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DDTW4136 View Post
    I dont think DMB can match this moment just cause of the length of time phish was away and WHY they were away.

Also, if you wanna equate fluffhead to a dmb tune, itd have to be a top tier tune like two step, ants, crush, none of which have disappeared like fluff did during 2.0.

i guess the closest thing to this moment would be if DMB opened with Two Step with the full jam.

if you wanna know which song would get the biggest surprise reaction (that has a chance of being played) i'd go with Last Stop

I'm not talking about matching that moment, which I believe to be unparalleled in the terms of live music. I'm simply asking about the song that would get the best crowd reaction of "oh my god I can't believe we're back AND THIS is the first song."

Don't think this will happen, but if they kicked it off with Lie In Our Graves--Dave stretching out the opening chords before starting to sing--the crowd would erupt.
    Old 07-08-2021, 10:13 AM   #48
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

I think The Last Stop is actually a decent comparison to what Fluffhead is for Phish.
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2021, 10:14 AM   #49
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Dreaming Tree would be the craziest tour opener, hasn’t been played full band since 2015

But bringing back Last Stop with the full jam would be bonkers
    Old 07-08-2021, 10:22 AM   #50
    dmbclstj2

Shows Seen: 80

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

They can leave half stop on the shelf until they play the full song, I think Granny and Hello Again would be appropriate. Too Much would be a banger DMB classic to get everyone going.
    dmbclstj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2021, 10:23 AM   #51
    TimHonks

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Agree that Last Stop is a good comparison, but yea, obviously different circumstances.

Place would craziest for Ants or Two Step.

Still think BOWA or Granny makes a ton of sense and the energy would be great.

OSW would be fine, but a bit of a let down.
    TimHonks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2021, 10:35 AM   #52
    razmataz

Shows Seen: 82

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Would be cool if LIOG sans reprise was played at the last 2020 full band show. Opening 2021 w/ the reprise would be unbelievable. Although lyrics could certainly be considered distasteful :/

Would put money on:

DDTW
    OSW
    razmataz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-09-2021, 07:27 PM   #53
    dmbdreamingtree
    be the light

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Would actually respect them opening with YMDT
    You're living in an imaginary mental prison of your own creation.
    dmbdreamingtree is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2021, 07:49 AM   #54
    Bmwm3oz

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

‘ Hello, how are you doing today
    I hope I find you feeling healthy
    I'm so glad our paths crossed this time today
    On our way into the night’

If it’s not Granny, I’d be surprised.
    Bmwm3oz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2021, 12:28 PM   #55
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by phoolhearted View Post
    I love me some DMB, but idk anything that could come close to that moment. That was a bunch of people who thought they'd NEVER see that band again playing one of their most storied and quintessential songs.

Just looking at the Almanac's liberation list, though: Dreaming Tree, Good Good Time, Kit-Kat Jam, #40

I'm personally hoping for BOWA, but could definitely see a #40 (tease at least) happening.
    There is a better chance the world will be subjected to an Independence Day style alien invasion tomorrow, or all of the band members will perform naked with their dicks hanging out like Flea at Woodstock 99 than there is that they will open with open with a #40 tease, Kit Kat Jam, Good Good Time or Dreaming Tree. You're suffering from "hardcore fan myopia syndrome" here bro, most of the audience would have no idea what the fuck was going on if Kit Kat Jam was the opener. The Dreaming Tree would be an awful "welcome back" opener. After one of the most depressing years in history, the band isn't going to come out and open with one of the most melancholic songs in the catalog. A small number of people on this site get a hard on when Dave plays 30 seconds of #40 but most people at shows don't give a shit. If Vegas released odds on the Raleigh opener all of the songs you listed would have horrific odds, the only songs that would have worse odds would be: True Reflections, Digging a Ditch, Blackjack, When I'm Weary, Shotgun, Out of My Hands, Dreamed I Killed God, Let You Down, Pay For What You Get, Get in Line, and Heathcliff's Haiku Warriors.

There really isn't a Fluffhead correlator in the DMB canon since DMB has never really benched any of their most beloved fan favorites for close to a decade. Some of their signature songs might skip a tour here and there but they never go on a ten year hiatus. I think they're going to open with something high energy like Ants, Billies, Granny, or Two Step. I can't seem them doing a quotidian DDTW or OSW tour opener this year. I think this is going to be the best tour in recent memory and the boys are going to really try to deliver some special shows this summer.
    Old 07-11-2021, 02:00 PM   #56
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    There really isn't a Fluffhead correlator in the DMB canon since DMB has never really benched any of their most beloved fan favorites for close to a decade. Some of their signature songs might skip a tour here and there but they never go on a ten year hiatus. I think they're going to open with something high energy like Ants, Billies, Granny, or Two Step. I can't seem them doing a quotidian DDTW or OSW tour opener this year. I think this is going to be the best tour in recent memory and the boys are going to really try to deliver some special shows this summer.
    Last Stop is the closest thing I can think of

http://dmbalmanac.com/SongStats.aspx?sid=60

And I agree with the bold, I hope we are right
    Old 07-15-2021, 07:17 AM   #57
    phoolhearted

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    There is a better chance the world will be subjected to an Independence Day style alien invasion tomorrow, or all of the band members will perform naked with their dicks hanging out like Flea at Woodstock 99 than there is that they will open with open with a #40 tease, Kit Kat Jam, Good Good Time or Dreaming Tree. You're suffering from "hardcore fan myopia syndrome" here bro, most of the audience would have no idea what the fuck was going on if Kit Kat Jam was the opener. The Dreaming Tree would be an awful "welcome back" opener. After one of the most depressing years in history, the band isn't going to come out and open with one of the most melancholic songs in the catalog. A small number of people on this site get a hard on when Dave plays 30 seconds of #40 but most people at shows don't give a shit. If Vegas released odds on the Raleigh opener all of the songs you listed would have horrific odds, the only songs that would have worse odds would be: True Reflections, Digging a Ditch, Blackjack, When I'm Weary, Shotgun, Out of My Hands, Dreamed I Killed God, Let You Down, Pay For What You Get, Get in Line, and Heathcliff's Haiku Warriors.

For the record: I wouldn't even want a dreaming tree opener. I was hung up on trying to compare to that fluffhead moment. Which is why i picked those. Granny would be a FANTASTIC way to open the tour.

a #40 tease in the encore wouldn't be surprising though, would it? Given the situation.
    Old 07-16-2021, 09:13 AM   #58
    handal
    Milwaukee, WI

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

LIOG, with the reprise ending the main set.
    handal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2021, 08:43 PM   #59
    phoolhearted

My Tour Central Stats

I'm hopping on again to put forward a song that has no chance: For the Beauty of Wynona.

Listening to LT 17 version now. Fuckin A. I'd lose my mind on Friday if this was the opener. Good God Damn.

Not happening, but here's a poor schmucks wish.
    Old 07-19-2021, 05:54 AM   #60
    ISawTheBridge10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by handal View Post
    LIOG, with the reprise ending the main set.

I've always wanted to see LIOG, have them end the song without the Reprise, take their ~2 minute break between songs, and then when you think a new song is about to start, they go back into the Reprise.

Would be a nice twist.