Expecting/Baby Thread - Page 61 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 03-15-2019, 08:54 AM   #1801
scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Expecting/Baby Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
Our little girl is 2 weeks old. She's our 2nd and the labor went so fast. Got to the hospital around 7, baby was here at 10:21. Our first took 14 hours!

She's been awesome so far, very calm. My wife actually has to set an alarm to feed her.

Our 4 year old is totally smitten. He's very protective. If he's holding her and I try to pick her up, he wraps his arms around her and shakes his head at me lol

We had a little scare though, 2 days after we brought her home, my son comes into our bed at 2am hot as furnace. By 4 am he's throwing up. Throws up a few more times the next day, but then seems to settle into just a stomach bug/fever/cold. Finally take him to the pediatrician on the 3rd day and it's strep. Somehow the baby didn't get sick at all. We sanitized the hell out of everything, but that was about 5 days of torture with a toddler who cried all day and night for a mom that couldnt touch him
Same thing happened with my wife, although the first birth wasn't quite that long - 10hrs. 2am contractions started and he was born at 11:58am.

For our second contractions started around the same time in the morning and he was born at 4:20am. Crazy.

She was planning on an epidural but the anesthesiologist walked in the door and she was already pushing. Sorry doc
scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #1802
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

My mom was in labor for 28 hours with me - and I only weighed 3'10"
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2019, 10:35 AM   #1803
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    Did you make your wife pay the hospital bills out of her separate account, or was that one that you had to write her a check for half of?

We have an HSA through my health insurance plan that I fund and we used that. It's really not complicated. The only time discussions come up about who is paying for what is our monthly budget, i.e. our regular obligations or if we're making a major purchase. Like for daycare costs, she said she was comfortable covering up to a certain amount and I cover the rest. We each contribute to joint obligations up to amounts that we're comfortable contributing.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2019, 11:01 AM   #1804
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    We have an HSA through my health insurance plan that I fund and we used that. It's really not complicated. The only time discussions come up about who is paying for what is our monthly budget, i.e. our regular obligations or if we're making a major purchase. Like for daycare costs, she said she was comfortable covering up to a certain amount and I cover the rest. We each contribute to joint obligations up to amounts that we're comfortable contributing.
    Just a bizarre setup to me, man. It's all both of your money.

But hey, whatever works for you, you seem to have it figured out

(FWIW my original post was just meant to give you a hard time, was not being serious).
    Old 03-27-2019, 08:01 AM   #1805
    nikkidmb

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

We just found out we are having a girl! I am so happy. Really wanted a girl but was prepared for a boy.
    nikkidmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-27-2019, 08:14 AM   #1806
    neumdogg
    Happy birthday, Paulie!

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikkidmb View Post
    We just found out we are having a girl! I am so happy. Really wanted a girl but was prepared for a boy.
    Mazel Tov! That's super excited. Girls are fucking awesome. We have at 3.5 year old girl right now and another girl due in May.
    neumdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-27-2019, 12:43 PM   #1807
    nikkidmb

Shows Seen: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neumdogg View Post
    Mazel Tov! That's super excited. Girls are fucking awesome. We have at 3.5 year old girl right now and another girl due in May.
    awesome!! Getting close!!
    nikkidmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-27-2019, 01:11 PM   #1808
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:

I also have two girls, a 5 year old and a 2 year old. So many princesses and Barbies.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-27-2019, 01:17 PM   #1809
    neumdogg
    Happy birthday, Paulie!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
    I also have two girls, a 5 year old and a 2 year old. So many princesses and Barbies.

When did your first get into princesses? Bellamy is 3.5 and she really doesn’t care that much about it. She likes Ariel a lot but that’s about it. She doesn’t dress up like any of them at all.
    Old 03-27-2019, 01:18 PM   #1810
    neumdogg
    Happy birthday, Paulie!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Way too damn close. Oy.
    Old 03-27-2019, 01:26 PM   #1811
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    When did your first get into princesses? Bellamy is 3.5 and she really doesn’t care that much about it. She likes Ariel a lot but that’s about it. She doesn’t dress up like any of them at all.

When I got annual passes to Disney, so about two years ago. My oldest has many interests, Star Wars, Disney Princesses, Barbie, Trolls, High School Musical, Taylor Swift, superheroes, and Lego. My youngest loves Homer Simpson and her baby doll.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-27-2019, 01:29 PM   #1812
    neumdogg
    Happy birthday, Paulie!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
    When I got annual passes to Disney, so about two years ago. My oldest has many interests, Star Wars, Disney Princesses, Barbie, Trolls, High School Musical, Taylor Swift, superheroes, and Lego. My youngest loves Homer Simpson and her baby doll.

My wife works for Disney and we get free access and Bellamy just has no interest in going. It’s very weird.
    Old 03-27-2019, 01:38 PM   #1813
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Our 3.5 month old baby got his first fever and had to stay home from daycare for 2 days this week. Luckily both my wife and I have the flexibility to work from home if needed. He's doing well though. I'm sure it will be the first of many.
    Old 03-27-2019, 06:14 PM   #1814
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Our 3.5 month old baby got his first fever and had to stay home from daycare for 2 days this week. Luckily both my wife and I have the flexibility to work from home if needed. He's doing well though. I'm sure it will be the first of many.
    Day care is a germ factory. My daughter got her first fever about a week after starting.

https://antsmarching.org/forum/showp...stcount=126148
    JRS1386 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-27-2019, 06:17 PM   #1815
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

One reason I think some day care is important is to build up the immune system
    Old 03-27-2019, 06:25 PM   #1816
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    One reason I think some day care is important is to build up the immune system

For sure, its also important for social aspects as well.

My day care is a shit hole but unfortunately we are stuck with it for the time being

Old 03-27-2019, 06:36 PM   #1817
    swordo84
    . .

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It's shocking to see someone so young going to daycare. We get 1 year paid leave up here.

This is for 1 parent. Mom or dad can take it all, or it can be split up. You can even stretch the 1 year worth of $$ over 18 months if you really want to.

Edit -- I hope the wee one is starting to feel better! Fevers are never fun but infant Advil is a wonder drug

Last edited by swordo84; 03-27-2019 at 06:40 PM.
    swordo84 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-27-2019, 07:52 PM   #1818
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Today is week 3 and he is officially a sniffly mess. 3.5 months and this is the first time he has gotten sick.

No fever at least, so daycare is still good. It is spring break this week as well, so there are only like 2 other babies there right now.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-27-2019, 07:53 PM   #1819
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRS1386 View Post
    For sure, its also important for social aspects as well.

My day care is a shit hole but unfortunately we are stuck with it for the time being
    Totally agree. Our day care also does our after school program for our oldest (so we can pick both up at the same place) and my oldest's summer camp. I calculated that by the time I am through with them, they will have gotten over 100k from me. They should name a wing after us.
    Old 03-27-2019, 08:03 PM   #1820
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by swordo84 View Post
    It's shocking to see someone so young going to daycare. We get 1 year paid leave up here.

This is for 1 parent. Mom or dad can take it all, or it can be split up. You can even stretch the 1 year worth of $$ over 18 months if you really want to.

Edit -- I hope the wee one is starting to feel better! Fevers are never fun but infant Advil is a wonder drug
    So with FMLA US citizens get 12 weeks so year I wish we had the full year. The kick in the nuts for my situation was that my wife and I teach at the same school so we were forced to split the FMLA instead of each of us having 12 weeks. If we were not married or did not work for the same employer then we could have each had the separate 12 weeks

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    Totally agree. Our day care also does our after school program for our oldest (so we can pick both up at the same place) and my oldest's summer camp. I calculated that by the time I am through with them, they will have gotten over 100k from me. They should name a wing after us.
    I hate mine because they do not listen to any complaints my wife or I bring to them. My daughter has never had a consistent sleep schedule when she was there normally getting two 25 minute naps over a 8-9 hour period. She also spends 95% of her time in a bouncer thing and takes her naps in those even though we told them we want her napping in the crib.

There are times we come in to pick her up and the day care attendant is sitting in a chair holding a baby and rocking the other with her foot who is in a bouncer while they are trying to eat.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:12 PM   #1821
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

The baby is now snoring tonight. Loudly. What?

And he just made us jump up to see if he was ok bc he was hacking up a lung, all congested.

Poor baby, at least he is still smiling

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert

Last edited by Tiduwho; 03-27-2019 at 08:13 PM.
    Tiduwho is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2019, 03:34 AM   #1822
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So with FMLA US citizens get 12 weeks so year I wish we had the full year. The kick in the nuts for my situation was that my wife and I teach at the same school so we were forced to split the FMLA instead of each of us having 12 weeks. If we were not married or did not work for the same employer then we could have each had the separate 12 weeks
    we get FMLA protection you could say. You can take 12 weeks, but it isn't paid unless the company wants to

At all the schools in my county you can sign up for Aflac short-term disability and pay into it, but you need to be enrolled for 18 months prior to finding out you're pregnant. My wife had just started her new teaching job, so she wasn't eligible to sign up. She has to take all 10 of her sick days, and after those are exhausted (2 wks), she's taking 4 weeks unpaid. She could take 12 weeks and still hold her place, but we can't afford it

it'd be amazing if we could join every other country on earth and have paid maternity leave

Last edited by smokew11; 03-28-2019 at 03:35 AM.
    smokew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2019, 05:29 AM   #1823
    swordo84
    . .

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRS1386
    I hate mine because they do not listen to any complaints my wife or I bring to them. My daughter has never had a consistent sleep schedule when she was there normally getting two 25 minute naps over a 8-9 hour period. She also spends 95% of her time in a bouncer thing and takes her naps in those even though we told them we want her napping in the crib.

There are times we come in to pick her up and the day care attendant is sitting in a chair holding a baby and rocking the other with her foot who is in a bouncer while they are trying to eat.

In the long run, everything will be great I'm sure but short term this sounds less than ideal. I hope you're able to find something better for you and your family soon!
    Old 03-28-2019, 06:02 AM   #1824
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

My Tour Central Stats

Although it's great we can now take 18 months in Canada, keep in mind when swordo says we "get paid" it's pretty much the same as going on unemployment. Some companies are much better than others, offering "top ups" for a certain period. I think my wife's company did a top up on top of unemployment to bring her up to around 77% of her salary for the first 17 weeks then it's just what the government gives you.

I'm not being ungrateful, just want to make sure our American neighbors don't think if you make $125k/year that you're getting that money for 12 months while on maternity leave.

Ours worked out great as my son is two months shy of 3 years and my wife is on maternity (18 months) until December (from May 2018) so we can consider the savings of day care for him as she is looking after both of them. So that's $42/day savings around here.
    Old 03-28-2019, 06:15 AM   #1825
    swordo84
    . .

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    Although it's great we can now take 18 months in Canada, keep in mind when swordo says we "get paid" it's pretty much the same as going on unemployment. Some companies are much better than others, offering "top ups" for a certain period. I think my wife's company did a top up on top of unemployment to bring her up to around 77% of her salary for the first 17 weeks then it's just what the government gives you.

I'm not being ungrateful, just want to make sure our American neighbors don't think if you make $125k/year that you're getting that money for 12 months while on maternity leave.

Ours worked out great as my son is two months shy of 3 years and my wife is on maternity (18 months) until December (from May 2018) so we can consider the savings of day care for him as she is looking after both of them. So that's $42/day savings around here.

That would be amazing!
    Old 03-28-2019, 06:18 AM   #1826
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    we get FMLA protection you could say. You can take 12 weeks, but it isn't paid unless the company wants to

At all the schools in my county you can sign up for Aflac short-term disability and pay into it, but you need to be enrolled for 18 months prior to finding out you're pregnant. My wife had just started her new teaching job, so she wasn't eligible to sign up. She has to take all 10 of her sick days, and after those are exhausted (2 wks), she's taking 4 weeks unpaid. She could take 12 weeks and still hold her place, but we can't afford it

it'd be amazing if we could join every other country on earth and have paid maternity leave
    with our first we used the aflac short term disability...the payments over the 18 months leading into it were more than what they paid out to us during maternity leave.

we didn't do it for our second child
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2019, 07:22 AM   #1827
    neumdogg
    Happy birthday, Paulie!

My Tour Central Stats

My job gives me 3 days paternity leave.
    Old 03-28-2019, 07:24 AM   #1828
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

mine gives me none. I can go unpaid or take PTO
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2019, 07:31 AM   #1829
    UNC41
    Gimme Dat

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

My job gives six weeks paid paternity leave. It was such an awesome benefit to have when our daughter arrived last summer. Women get 14 weeks paid maternity leave.

You white, then you Ben Affleck.
    UNC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2019, 07:34 AM   #1830
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Day care is a germ factory. My daughter got her first fever about a week after starting.
    Yep, he went 3 weeks and then got sick although he's been congested for at least the last 2 weeks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by swordo84 View Post

People in the US are lucky if they can even take 3 months off because not all jobs even offer that ability while still getting some portion of pay. However, I don't even know how someone could take a year off from work. I'd feel like I was so out of the loop by the time I got back to work it would be like starting over again. How does an employer handle being short-handed for a year? Do they just hire someone temporary for a year? It would be so disruptive. Also, my wife who stayed home for 3 months on maternity leave was just about climbing up the walls wanting to go back to work after 2 months. She started working part-time from home after 2 months. It's exhausting taking care of a baby every day and being stuck in the house. We were both glad she was going back to work actually.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post
    Today is week 3 and he is officially a sniffly mess. 3.5 months and this is the first time he has gotten sick.

No fever at least, so daycare is still good. It is spring break this week as well, so there are only like 2 other babies there right now.
    Yeah, same exact thing here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post
    The baby is now snoring tonight. Loudly. What?

And he just made us jump up to see if he was ok bc he was hacking up a lung, all congested.

Poor baby, at least he is still smiling
    Our baby has been congested for a couple weeks too. We've had to use a snotsucker several times to help clear out his nose. He's doing fine and it has improved a littel bit, but it would be nice if could breathe clearly.