The Home Theater Thread - Page 32 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 03-21-2019, 05:03 PM   #931
dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Home Theater Thread

I have heard a lot about it and it’s very cool! But I wish the studios would stop fucking around! Master and Commander dts track on the DVD has noticeably deeper low end than the BD, it’s the first movie I remember hearing about it in.

Certainly one thing that isn’t a worry on Chris Nolan flicks!

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-22-2019, 05:09 AM   #932
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

Shows Seen: 179

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

The Disney "AtMouse" releases are annoying. They used to have some of the best sounding releases and it has been a while now where they have seemed muted.
    Old 03-22-2019, 08:21 AM   #933
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    I have heard a lot about it and it’s very cool! But I wish the studios would stop fucking around! Master and Commander dts track on the DVD has noticeably deeper low end than the BD, it’s the first movie I remember hearing about it in.

Certainly one thing that isn’t a worry on Chris Nolan flicks!
    Yeah, it's really dumb that they roll off the low end frequencies. I have no idea what the benefit is to doing that. And yeah, I just skipped the Nolan movies for Bass EQ since the bass is already pretty hot in those.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UCFish View Post
    The Disney "AtMouse" releases are annoying. They used to have some of the best sounding releases and it has been a while now where they have seemed muted.
    Yeah, some of their mixes have been really weak (Avengers, The Last Jedi, others). This Bass EQ stuff helps improve those Disney Atmos tracks a lot though. Makes them much more dynamic and respectable. Look what Bass EQ does for The Last Jedi. The dashed line is the before and the solid line is the after.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post56748480

Last edited by Benny003; 03-22-2019 at 08:22 AM.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2019, 10:46 AM   #934
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

And when I look at something like Interstellar, the roll appears to be way down at 10Hz and below and even my 2 Paradigm Servos aren't going to be noticeably different bumping 10Hz...if anything they might engage servo limiting. With M&C it was rolled off way up high at 20Hz, I get flat response (according to tech specs, not in room) down to around 15.4Hz just lower than the lowest pipe organ note.

So what would you say is one of the easiest implementations and if you've already measured your in room response with Audyssey XT32 would it make sense just to move directly to BEQ skipping the REW section of the AVS thread?
    Old 03-22-2019, 11:56 AM   #935
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    And when I look at something like Interstellar, the roll appears to be way down at 10Hz and below and even my 2 Paradigm Servos aren't going to be noticeably different bumping 10Hz...if anything they might engage servo limiting. With M&C it was rolled off way up high at 20Hz, I get flat response (according to tech specs, not in room) down to around 15.4Hz just lower than the lowest pipe organ note.

So what would you say is one of the easiest implementations and if you've already measured your in room response with Audyssey XT32 would it make sense just to move directly to BEQ skipping the REW section of the AVS thread?
    Yeah, you can skip the REW part unless you want to take the extra steps to tweak your sub setup/placement. I mean that's a good idea to use REW and dial in your subs, but it's not necessary just to implement BEQ. Does your Audussey automatically time align 2 subs? My room correction doesn't, so I originally bought the miniDSP years ago just to time align my two subs properly.
    Old 03-22-2019, 12:06 PM   #936
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

So many words
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2019, 12:11 PM   #937
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    Yeah, you can skip the REW part unless you want to take the extra steps to tweak your sub setup/placement. I mean that's a good idea to use REW and dial in your subs, but it's not necessary just to implement BEQ. Does your Audussey automatically time align 2 subs? My room correction doesn't, so I originally bought the miniDSP years ago just to time align my two subs properly.
    I have the Marantz SR6012 which has both MultEQ XT32 and Sub EQ HT; it's my understanding that Sub EQ HT isn't a mandatory component of XT32 which is still Audyssey's flagship technology and so you could have XT32 without the sub, but for those that also include the sub EQ HT it does time align two subs before it runs through the XT32 calibration during which it treats them as a single unit.

For both subs at once this is my measurements before and after calibration:

https://i.postimg.cc/MZ5Jx2F8/E168-F...-F86-ACCC1.png

I was really impressed with all the results especially considering the acoustic nightmare of a fireplace I have which I can't wait to get rid of next year and redo my drop ceiling with proper ceiling speakers for Atmos.

I paid for the full version of the app too which allows me to set a filter for the results, so currently I let Audyssey tame everything under 800Hz and above that I cut it off, it sounds a little less muted that way but I haven't lived with it long enough yet to decide if I will keep it or allow correction across the entire spectrum.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg sub.jpg (76.4 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by dobyblue; 03-22-2019 at 12:14 PM.
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #938
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Full Audyssey results for what it's worth - https://i.postimg.cc/gzP7LNwJ/Audyssey-SJB.jpg

I do enjoy seeing the response of the "surround" speakers being just as good as their identical front mains. Man I love multichannel music. Just scored tickets to see The Pineapple Thief in November, their live Blu-ray features two 5.1 mixes by Bruce Soord, one to match the performance onscreen in a typical surround mix (ambience of the venue) and the other more like Elliot Scheiner's mix of the NIN 2006 Blu-ray, like studio material. It's so good, and dirt cheap too. (and features two 5.1 mixes of studio albums to boot for under $20)

Maybe it needs BEQ though?

Last edited by dobyblue; 03-22-2019 at 12:36 PM.
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2019, 06:29 PM   #939
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I have the Marantz SR6012 which has both MultEQ XT32 and Sub EQ HT; it's my understanding that Sub EQ HT isn't a mandatory component of XT32 which is still Audyssey's flagship technology and so you could have XT32 without the sub, but for those that also include the sub EQ HT it does time align two subs before it runs through the XT32 calibration during which it treats them as a single unit.

For both subs at once this is my measurements before and after calibration:

https://i.postimg.cc/MZ5Jx2F8/E168-F...-F86-ACCC1.png

I was really impressed with all the results especially considering the acoustic nightmare of a fireplace I have which I can't wait to get rid of next year and redo my drop ceiling with proper ceiling speakers for Atmos.

I paid for the full version of the app too which allows me to set a filter for the results, so currently I let Audyssey tame everything under 800Hz and above that I cut it off, it sounds a little less muted that way but I haven't lived with it long enough yet to decide if I will keep it or allow correction across the entire spectrum.
    Yeah, Audyssey looks like it helped a lot.

Quote:
    Full Audyssey results for what it's worth - https://i.postimg.cc/gzP7LNwJ/Audyssey-SJB.jpg

I do enjoy seeing the response of the "surround" speakers being just as good as their identical front mains. Man I love multichannel music. Just scored tickets to see The Pineapple Thief in November, their live Blu-ray features two 5.1 mixes by Bruce Soord, one to match the performance onscreen in a typical surround mix (ambience of the venue) and the other more like Elliot Scheiner's mix of the NIN 2006 Blu-ray, like studio material. It's so good, and dirt cheap too. (and features two 5.1 mixes of studio albums to boot for under $20)

Maybe it needs BEQ though?
    I think the people in the AVS thread were talking about using BEQ for music and I think they thought that it wouldn't work as well. It got technical pretty fast, but something to do with how music is mixed differently than sound effects in movies. They didn't think the results would sound very pleasing for music.
    Old 04-01-2019, 08:50 AM   #940
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

okay I am in need of some help/advice - we just signed a contract to build a home, and I want to put a good sound system/TV in the living room.

Right now, we added 2 speakers built into the ceiling in the living room/kitchen area, but I think I want to just use that for music and podcasts (for when we cook/entertain), not for movies. However, the builder said I'd need a bluetooth receiver for that - does anyone have any good recommendations on a relatively cheap one that should get the job done? I'll be able to control volume from my phone if I'm listening to apple music, right?

on a separate note, I also want to do some wireless speakers for movie/tv watching as well. I'm thinking something like this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-s...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

anybody have any good recommendations for just a basic setup that delivers solid sound quality?

as for tv's, I want to go as big as possible - it looks like 86" ish is the biggest you can get that's still within a sensible price range ($2k-$4k). is that right?

I was eyeing this LG at best buy, but am up for suggestions: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-86-c...?skuId=6296532

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-01-2019, 10:14 AM   #941
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

So I did all of this when we built our home in 2015. We have 5.1 in the main living room and two speakers out on our screened porch. All speakers are wired and in ceiling, except the center channel whichis a speaker resting on the mantle and the sub, which is on the ground near the front. You want wired speakers in the ceiling for everything and a receiver that can do dual zones. Meaning you can have the same audio on both zones, or TV on the main room and then bluetooth or pandora or whatever on the second zone. This is pretty common for any newer receiver. Mine is an Onkyo. Everything is controlled through an app on my phone or the remote control on screen. My recommendation is to hire someone to do all of this and your builder can help with that. I'd also recommend running Ethernet to every room you plan on watching TV in. Wireless is fine obviously but having ethernet is a blessing.

My TV is a 65" Samsung 8500 which for being 4 years old, still rocks. . There's obviously better TVs out there now. Whatever you are comfortable with. Anything 65" or bigger is going to be more than enough.

EDIT: Oh shit, you're in Raleigh. Where are you building/who is your builder? You can PM if you don't want to share

Last edited by Ascf33; 04-01-2019 at 10:16 AM.
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-01-2019, 10:20 AM   #942
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ascf33 View Post
    So I did all of this when we built our home in 2015. We have 5.1 in the main living room and two speakers out on our screened porch. All speakers are wired and in ceiling, except the center channel whichis a speaker resting on the mantle and the sub, which is on the ground near the front. You want wired speakers in the ceiling for everything and a receiver that can do dual zones. Meaning you can have the same audio on both zones, or TV on the main room and then bluetooth or pandora or whatever on the second zone. This is pretty common for any newer receiver. Mine is an Onkyo. Everything is controlled through an app on my phone or the remote control on screen. My recommendation is to hire someone to do all of this and your builder can help with that. I'd also recommend running Ethernet to every room you plan on watching TV in. Wireless is fine obviously but having ethernet is a blessing.

TV is a 65" Samsung 9000. There's obviously better TVs out there now. Whatever you are comfortable with.

EDIT: Oh shit, you're in Raleigh. Where are you building/who is your builder? You can PM if you don't want to share

ah yes, I should have mentioned that the builder is taking care of everything with the speakers and pre-wire and such. it will be ready when we move in and he said all I'll need is a bluetooth receiver to pair/sync with the speakers.

haha funny - small world. we're building with KB Home near the Cary/Raleigh border.

Quote:
    Old 04-01-2019, 10:27 AM   #943
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

That's cool. I'm in Heritage in Wake Forest. Anyway, I don't think you need a second device for those speakers. Have them run it to your main receiver. There will be be a second "zone" on the back to plug into. Any modern receiver will have bluetooth built in plus have an interface for you to play Spotify, Pandora, etc through the receiver itself or use your phone to play from there.
    Old 04-01-2019, 10:34 AM   #944
    CrAzyEasy223

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 View Post
    ah yes, I should have mentioned that the builder is taking care of everything with the speakers and pre-wire and such. it will be ready when we move in and he said all I'll need is a bluetooth receiver to pair/sync with the speakers.

haha funny - small world. we're building with KB Home near the Cary/Raleigh border.
    You should really get a receiver with network capabilities that has Chromecast Built-In so you do not need to make a bluetooth connection every time you want to listen to music or podcasts from the ceiling speakers. The audio quality will be much better since you are sending the signal over WiFi and also does not require your phone to be line of sight or near the receiver to stay connected. You can find receivers with this technology for as little as $349.99.

If you are just going to be listening to music on the ceiling speakers, I would also recommend looking in to the new Sonos amp. that just came out at the end of last year. https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/amp.html

Utilizing something like that would then allow you to add additional Sonos speakers throughout your home if you ever decided you wanted a multi-room audio setup.

I am actually very surprised the builder would recommend Bluetooth because that is your worst possible option for what you want to do. That concerns me that they do not know what they are doing.
    Old 04-01-2019, 10:36 AM   #945
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

Old 04-01-2019, 10:45 AM   #946
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrAzyEasy223 View Post
    You should really get a receiver with network capabilities that has Chromecast Built-In so you do not need to make a bluetooth connection every time you want to listen to music or podcasts from the ceiling speakers. The audio quality will be much better since you are sending the signal over WiFi and also does not require your phone to be line of sight or near the receiver to stay connected. You can find receivers with this technology for as little as $349.99.

If you are just going to be listening to music on the ceiling speakers, I would also recommend looking in to the new Sonos amp. that just came out at the end of last year. https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/amp.html

Utilizing something like that would then allow you to add additional Sonos speakers throughout your home if you ever decided you wanted a multi-room audio setup.

I am actually very surprised the builder would recommend Bluetooth because that is your worst possible option for what you want to do. That concerns me that they do not know what they are doing.
    this is all very helpful - I didn't even think of getting a receiver that could connect over WiFi instead of bluetooth.

honestly, our whole meeting with the "tech" guy was a bit confusing. they offered a complete speaker system throughout the house, which he said would come with a receiver and could all be controlled through an app. but that was way too expensive and we didn't need wired-in ceiling speakers upstairs. so we decided to just go with 6 speakers downstairs - 2 on the screened porch, 2 in the living room, and 2 in the kitchen.

I kept asking him if I'd be able to control the volume from my phone with that configuration (i.e. if I'm listening to apple music or a podcast and want to turn it up down, I didn't want to have to go to the wall to adjust the volume), and at first he was seemed to insinuate I needed the full package to do that, but then he was like well you just need to get a receiver that can support that.

so will my pre-wired speakers then be plugged in somewhere to a receiver that I need to purchase? or does the receiver just plug somewhere into the wall and it syncs with the speakers?

forgive these questions as I am a complete noob when it comes to this so any guidance is appreciated.

edit: I should mention that I'm the one that mentioned bluetooth, the tech guy didn't say that. I don't even think we discussed playing it over WiFi

Quote:

Last edited by TheLastStop123; 04-01-2019 at 10:50 AM.
    Old 04-01-2019, 10:46 AM   #947
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's cool. I'm in Heritage in Wake Forest. Anyway, I don't think you need a second device for those speakers. Have them run it to your main receiver. There will be be a second "zone" on the back to plug into. Any modern receiver will have bluetooth built in plus have an interface for you to play Spotify, Pandora, etc through the receiver itself or use your phone to play from there.
    that's the thing - the speakers don't come with a receiver, he said I'd have to buy one. so I guess it's just one me to pick out a good one (bluetooth vs. network, multiple zones, etc)

Quote:
    Old 04-01-2019, 11:00 AM   #948
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    that's the thing - the speakers don't come with a receiver, he said I'd have to buy one. so I guess it's just one me to pick out a good one (bluetooth vs. network, multiple zones, etc)
    You just need one that does all three. fairly standard on any modern receiver now. Could be had for ~$300 on amazon.
    Old 04-01-2019, 11:04 AM   #949
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You just need one that does all three. fairly standard on any modern receiver now. Could be had for ~$300 on amazon.
    perfect, thanks

Quote:
    Old 04-01-2019, 11:10 AM   #950
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    perfect, thanks
    https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR57...s%2C263&sr=8-7

There's obviously better out there but this will cover everything.
    Old 04-01-2019, 11:46 AM   #951
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR57...s%2C263&sr=8-7

There's obviously better out there but this will cover everything.
    awesome. will the speaker wires plug in directly to the receiver somewhere? I'm trying to picture what is needed once I buy the receiver and how to set it all up.

do you stream your movies to your ceiling speakers too?

Quote:
    Old 04-01-2019, 12:15 PM   #952
    CrAzyEasy223

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    awesome. will the speaker wires plug in directly to the receiver somewhere? I'm trying to picture what is needed once I buy the receiver and how to set it all up.

do you stream your movies to your ceiling speakers too?
    I would actually look at the newer model of the Onkyo piece that Ascf33 posted. You can find that at the link below.

All receiver models have you plug the speaker wire in to the back. I highly recommend using banana plugs when connecting everything. This will save you a lot of frustration.

Some other models I would consider are also below

Onkyo TX-NR585: https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR58...gateway&sr=8-1

Sony STR-DN1080: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDN108...SG/ref=sr_1_1?
    keywords=STRDN1080&qid=1554145424&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Denon AVR-S740H: https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-S74...gateway&sr=8-1

As far as your question about streaming your movies to your ceiling speakers, this is where it gets a bit tricky. In the environment you are describing the ceiling speakers would act as either rear (surround sound) speakers in a normal 5.1/7.1 setup or as height speakers for Dolby Atmos/DTS:X in a 5.1.2 setup. This means you would also need at least 3 more speakers around your TV, a left channel, and right channel, and a center channel. That would give you true surround sound. An issue then occurs where your ceiling speakers are now connected in to the rear speaker terminals of the receiver and as such would always play along with what is on the TV. This is just a limitation of the receiver technology. As was mentioned you could set those ceiling speakers up as a zone 2, but then they would not play from the TV. This is kind of complicated and a lot to write out and I do not have time to explain it fully at the moment. If you have questions though, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer everything.
    Old 04-01-2019, 12:16 PM   #953
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

using this picture for reference,
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

yes, all of the speaker wires will run right to the back of the receiver and they'll just need to be tightened into the black and red holes. the two speakers that are not in your TV room will go to zone two on the far right. Plug in ethernet or connect it to your wireless. Yes, you would plug your device (cable box, roku, apple tv etc) into the HDMI ports on the back and you run 1 hdmi from the receiver to the TV and everything comes through the speakers
    Old 04-01-2019, 12:18 PM   #954
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I would actually look at the newer model of the Onkyo piece that Ascf33 posted. You can find that at the link below.

All receiver models have you plug the speaker wire in to the back. I highly recommend using banana plugs when connecting everything. This will save you a lot of frustration.

As far as your question about streaming your movies to your ceiling speakers, this is where it gets a bit tricky. In the environment you are describing the ceiling speakers would act as either rear (surround sound) speakers in a normal 5.1/7.1 setup or as height speakers for Dolby Atmos/DTS:X in a 5.1.2 setup. This means you would also need at least 3 more speakers around your TV, a left channel, and right channel, and a center channel. That would give you true surround sound. An issue then occurs where your ceiling speakers are now connected in to the rear speaker terminals of the receiver and as such would always play along with what is on the TV. This is just a limitation of the receiver technology. As was mentioned you could set those ceiling speakers up as a zone 2, but then they would not play from the TV. This is kind of complicated and a lot to write out and I do not have time to explain it fully at the moment. If you have questions though, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer everything.

yes, assuming you'll want to do a full 5.1 surround sound for the main TV room.

the bolded part. Using the Onkyo app on your phone or the on-screen menu, you can get zone two to play a "stereo" version of whatever is coming out of zone 1 (assuming TV). I use it for sports all the time

Last edited by Ascf33; 04-01-2019 at 12:20 PM.
    Old 04-01-2019, 12:21 PM   #955
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Quote:
    using this picture for reference,
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

yes, all of the speaker wires will run right to the back of the receiver and they'll just need to be tightened into the black and red holes. the two speakers that are not in your TV room will go to zone two on the far right. Plug in ethernet or connect it to your wireless. Yes, you would plug your device (cable box, roku, apple tv etc) into the HDMI ports on the back and you run 1 hdmi from the receiver to the TV and everything comes through the speakers
    this is a huge help, thanks so much

so it sounds like running my tv through the ceiling speakers probably isn't worth it - I'll probably just stick with streaming apple music/podcasts for those. maybe I'll just do a sound bar or something for TV stuff instead.

the chromecast built-in feature seems great, but I don't think it's supported with Apple Music unfortunately.

Quote:

Last edited by TheLastStop123; 04-01-2019 at 12:25 PM.
    Old 04-01-2019, 12:38 PM   #956
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

Shows Seen: 179

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

I would get the LG 77 inch OLED instead of any LED.
    Old 04-01-2019, 12:42 PM   #957
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    yes, assuming you'll want to do a full 5.1 surround sound for the main TV room.

the bolded part. Using the Onkyo app on your phone or the on-screen menu, you can get zone two to play a "stereo" version of whatever is coming out of zone 1 (assuming TV). I use it for sports all the time
    I'd imagine I'd want my screened porch speakers for zone 2 though right? (that's assuming I was going to try and use ceiling speakers for surround sound, which I probably won't do).

Quote:

Last edited by TheLastStop123; 04-01-2019 at 12:44 PM.
    Old 04-01-2019, 12:54 PM   #958
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

yes, that's right. missed that part. You essentially have three zones.
    Old 04-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #959
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    yes, that's right. missed that part. You essentially have three zones.
    now let's say I don't care about switching audio at all - and I'm fine with having the same music play on all 6 speakers at the same time - then I wouldn't need to worry about zones, right? I could just hook up each speaker wire to the back all in one zone? is the sound any different when it comes from center/front/surround when playing music? or would it make more sense to put the screened in porch speakers into zone 2 and then use the 4 inside speakers as zone 1? Could I still play the same music if they are different zones?

Quote:

Last edited by TheLastStop123; 04-01-2019 at 02:12 PM.
    Old 04-01-2019, 03:17 PM   #960
    drakan
    Drums!

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

I have a Denon dvd changer. I stopped using it because after about 30 minutes of playing CDs it wouldn't play if I switched discs. Wouldn't recognize them.
    drakan is offline   Reply With Quote