Best 4.0 show? - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-20-2021, 04:48 PM   #61
Titotimmy
Lillywhite's Tapeworm

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Best 4.0 show?

Agreed, imo the best 2021 shows kinda blow the best ‘18 and ‘19 shows out of the water.

Thinking I’m gonna add MSG N2 when I financially recover from this weekend a little bit.

R.I.P. Last Stop 4/8/1998 - 9/1/2018
Titotimmy is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-20-2021, 04:50 PM   #62
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Best 4.0 show?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    Yep, it is refreshing

So much so that I grabbed tix to holmdel. Curious to see how it plays out. Dave usually treats that venue good

Awesome, hope you get a great show.

Everybody is different I guess but I never really feel biased about shows I've been to, Saturday was an amazing main set that fit my preferences to a tee but picking the second show at SPAC to improve your chances of getting something special shouldn't really be a thing. They should leave fans happy after shows throughout a tour regardless of venue, this year I think they have done so more consistently than any time since 2013. Unpopular opinion but I think my favorite show of 2021 is Gorge N1 for the commitment to the fans and musicianship it requires to pull that off at the last second.
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2021, 04:53 PM   #63
    smb41

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I would probably take at least Tampa and WPB N2 over SPAC N2--possibly Deer Creek N2 too, although those two are about on par. Still think Tampa is best and most interesting of the tour.

Last edited by smb41; 09-20-2021 at 04:54 PM.
    smb41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2021, 05:14 PM   #64
    Hahninator
    Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 71

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titotimmy View Post
    Agreed, imo the best 2021 shows kinda blow the best ‘18 and ‘19 shows out of the water.

Thinking I’m gonna add MSG N2 when I financially recover from this weekend a little bit.
    Agreed. I was middle of the pack in 2018... didn't love it, didn't hate it. It was alright. 2019 was really great once it got going (start was blah). 2021 blows both of those years away. Pretty happy that they get better each touring year with Buddy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smb41 View Post
    I would probably take at least Tampa and WPB N2 over SPAC N2--possibly Deer Creek N2 too, although those two are about on par. Still think Tampa is best and most interesting of the tour.
    Agreed. Was at all of those except SPAC. Saw Tampa, WPB N2, DC N2... all three were incredible shows. Tampa was really something. Might be the best show of the tour. WPB N2 is probably my favorite set I've seen in person.
    Hahninator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2021, 06:12 PM   #65
    Cardinal
    Bouncin' Rounda Room

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Alpharetta 21 for me.
    Cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2021, 07:35 PM   #66
    Alpine416

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Can't even judge this yet. Obvious recency bias from SPAC attendees going on here. Lets revisit at end of tour.
    Alpine416 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2021, 07:51 PM   #67
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

SPAC N2 was the best show I've seen since 7/4/15, and if they came back out after SMLAM and played a classic to end the show, it would have probably been the best show I've ever seen. double digit shows at SPAC and I've never heard a crowd so loud.....and in terms of the flow of the show, they were on absolute fire for the better part of 2 and a half straight hours. It was better than both MSG shows in 2018, which were both very solid. With all that being said, SMLAM was absolutely a base hit in the bottom of the ninth of a perfect game as someone so greatly described it. I have never seen Time of Season or OATB, so I very much enjoyed them. Watchtower is also my favorite closer.

Big Eyed Fish »
    Bartender
    Grace Is Gone
    Grey Street
    The Stone
    So Much to Say »
    Anyone Seen the Bridge »
    Too Much
    Sugar Will
    Crush
    Squirm

This is a run that I would personally put in a dream setlist and then to add DIDO, Rapnuzel, Watchtower, Granny, Christmas Song, and Warehouse with the first stop time intro I've ever seen? That's a main set that stacks up with any show I've ever seen on paper.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2021, 07:57 PM   #68
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
    Yes way. Was the band not a band before Remember Two Things was recorded? Was Peter not in the band from 1991 - 1993? Did he not play hundreds of shows with them?

It makes no sense that someone would consider Remember Two Things as the beginning of this band.
    If Peter gets an era then it has to end and be 2.0 when Boyd officially joined. So by the logic of unique lineup changes we are at 8.0.

Peter
    Boyd
    Butch
    Ladies
    No Ladies
    RR
    Jeff
    Buddy
    Old 09-20-2021, 08:02 PM   #69
    Titotimmy
    Lillywhite's Tapeworm

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 View Post
    This is a run that I would personally put in a dream setlist and then to add DIDO, Rapnuzel, Watchtower, Granny, Christmas Song, and Warehouse with the first stop time intro I've ever seen? That's a main set that stacks up with any show I've ever seen on paper.

Stop time intro plus a full on Louie-Louie interpolation in that crowd was the most fun Warehouse I’ve ever been a part of.

Definitely a fair amount of recency bias going on here but purely on paper it’s definitely in the conversation. I like Tampa the more I look at it too; I think MSG will bring some heat this year.

Old 09-20-2021, 08:06 PM   #70
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

MSG, I would think, will have 3-4 guests. I hope they come out firing just like SPAC.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2021, 08:31 PM   #71
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Awesome, hope you get a great show.

Everybody is different I guess but I never really feel biased about shows I've been to, Saturday was an amazing main set that fit my preferences to a tee but picking the second show at SPAC to improve your chances of getting something special shouldn't really be a thing. They should leave fans happy after shows throughout a tour regardless of venue, this year I think they have done so more consistently than any time since 2013. Unpopular opinion but I think my favorite show of 2021 is Gorge N1 for the commitment to the fans and musicianship it requires to pull that off at the last second.
    We’re all guilty of it. When the shows are more consistent tho such as this start to the tour then the discussion is more detailed.

For me, so far it’s been vastly better than 18/19. To me those were rock bottom years.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2021, 08:33 PM   #72
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

My personal favorite show I’ve seen with this lineup is probably Columbus 2018. I loved being hit with awesome surprises all night. A real unique bunch of songs you either don’t see much, let alone together in a set.

I wasn’t there, but that 2020 Vegas show feels like it’s from that same mold.

People talk down on 2019. Tour got off to a bad start but there are more than a few really good sets that summer.
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2021, 10:32 PM   #73
    HonestDenver1

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Gorge N2 2018, Denver N2 2019, LT 46, Vegas 2020, SPAC N2 2021
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2021, 10:33 PM   #74
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 View Post
    MSG, I would think, will have 3-4 guests. I hope they come out firing just like SPAC.
    Krasno, warren Haynes, 2 random horn players,
    Old 09-20-2021, 10:35 PM   #75
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titotimmy View Post
    Stop time intro plus a full on Louie-Louie interpolation in that crowd was the most fun Warehouse I’ve ever been a part of.

Definitely a fair amount of recency bias going on here but purely on paper it’s definitely in the conversation. I like Tampa the more I look at it too; I think MSG will bring some heat this year.
    MSG never has the best shows .. they always have solid shoes but never get best.. sets are always middle of the road but high energy
    Old 09-20-2021, 10:50 PM   #76
    karczews41

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    From Peter's page...

"Peter is considered a member of the band on all full-band shows from 8.21.91 to 3.13.93."

Looked for that on Warren's page. Wasn't there.

Also, there's a huge difference between 1179 song appearances (Peter. Because he was a member of the band for almost 2 years) and 87 song appearances (Warren... who was never a member of the band).

So, no. I don't consider Warren a band member. Because he was not a band member, like Peter was.
    So now we’re talking about song performances, not shows?

If I was a musician and I left one of the biggest and successful touring bands of the decade in which I departed, and I continued in that same profession, I’d certainly claim to be a member as well.

Where the goal posts moving to next?
    karczews41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2021, 11:10 PM   #77
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    If Peter gets an era then it has to end and be 2.0 when Boyd officially joined. So by the logic of unique lineup changes we are at 8.0.

Peter
    Boyd
    Butch
    Ladies
    No Ladies
    RR
    Jeff
    Buddy

DMB without Boyd was too short to be a full on “Era”. That DMB .5. But, for the sake of argument I’ll agree. Boydless DMB was an iteration of the Band at one point.

And the Lovely Ladies were never band members. They were frequent guests during random parts of a couple tours for a few songs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2021, 11:20 PM   #78
    karczews41

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    From Peter's page...

"Peter is considered a member of the band on all full-band shows from 8.21.91 to 3.13.93."

Looked for that on Warren's page. Wasn't there.

Also, there's a huge difference between 1179 song appearances (Peter. Because he was a member of the band for almost 2 years) and 87 song appearances (Warren... who was never a member of the band).

So, no. I don't consider Warren a band member. Because he was not a band member, like Peter was.

If I was a musician and I left one of the biggest and successful touring bands of the decade in which I departed, and I continued in that same profession, I’d certainly claim to be a member as well.

karczews41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2021, 11:23 PM   #79
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 View Post
    Krasno, warren Haynes, 2 random horn players,

My bet for MSG is the orchestra
    Old 09-21-2021, 09:41 AM   #80
    tannersarver

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

i think burgettstown ‘21 should get a little respect
    tannersarver is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2021, 10:45 AM   #81
    dreeser13

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Haven't been on the forum in years can't lie, but came back on when I was going to my first Gorge show this year (N2). Loved that show and it will be special to me because it was my first time at the Gorge, but I had to go to SPAC N2 to see Carter and Stefan back. I knew in my gut it was going to be a show to remember, but holy shit. Definitely top 3 shows for me, only one I for sure put above it is Camden 2013 N2... Will say the crowd at N2 at SPAC was the loudest and most energetic crowd I have been apart of. Grey St 3rd verse crowd reaction was great, probably the best Warehouse for me, DIDO & Stone.. if they took out OATB for another song and avoided Shake me it would be #1 undoubtedly for me.. my jaw was on the ground (in a bad way) when shake me intro hit lol. But quickly recovered and realized how lucky I was to see this show. Going to Holmdel tomorrow for show #25. Band is the best they have been in years for sure.
    dreeser13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2021, 11:09 AM   #82
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by karczews41 View Post

We can talk about performances AND shows, if you want. He was a member from 1991 - 1993. He played every show with the band during that tenure. As well as every song during those shows.

I'm honestly not sure where you're going with this. Peter "claims" to have been a member of the band because he was, in fact, a member of the band. Do you disagree with him having been a member of Dave Matthews Band? Is that what you're basing your entire argument on? That Peter wasn't actually a member?
    Old 09-21-2021, 11:17 AM   #83
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Warren Haynes: Never a member of DMB
    Peter Griesar: Was a member of DMB

Not seeing what is complicated here
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2021, 11:28 AM   #84
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    DMB without Boyd was too short to be a full on “Era”. That DMB .5. But, for the sake of argument I’ll agree. Boydless DMB was an iteration of the Band at one point.

And the Lovely Ladies were never band members. They were frequent guests during random parts of a couple tours for a few songs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I dont see how we can exclude the ladies if we include Peter and Pre Boyd as eras. I think its cleaner and far more accurate to say current dmb is 4.0 and only count the major shifts in lineup as an era.
    Old 09-21-2021, 11:30 AM   #85
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Warren Haynes: Never a member of DMB
    Peter Griesar: Was a member of DMB

Not seeing what is complicated here
    I didn't realize that anyone thought this was ever even a debate.
    Old 09-21-2021, 11:31 AM   #86
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    I dont see how we can exclude the ladies if we include Peter and Pre Boyd as eras. I think its cleaner and far more accurate to say current dmb is 4.0 and only count the major shifts in lineup as an era.
    Because Peter was actually a band member.

The Lovely Ladies were never band members. They were frequent guests during random parts of a couple tours for a few songs.

And it's 5.0. At least.
    Old 09-21-2021, 11:33 AM   #87
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

If we count Peter we have count no boyd. So we are at 6.0
    Old 09-21-2021, 11:36 AM   #88
    Alpine416

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

The funny part of this thread is everyone debating if the Peter era was a phase of the band but that still doesn't change the fact what we are trying to decide is the best show of the current era (which seems pretty accepted as the start of Buddy/Boyd leaving ~2018). Whether you call it 4.0 or 5.0 doesn't matter.
    Alpine416 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2021, 11:37 AM   #89
    Titotimmy
    Lillywhite's Tapeworm

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alpine416 View Post
    The funny part of this thread is everyone debating if the Peter era was a phase of the band but that still doesn't change the fact what we are trying to decide is the best show of the current era (which seems pretty accepted as the start of Buddy/Boyd leaving ~2018). Whether you call it 4.0 or 5.0 doesn't matter.

This, *insert who the hell cares gif*

Old 09-21-2021, 11:38 AM   #90
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Alpharetta 21 is the best show I've seen in the Buddy eamra. Whether its the best one overall idk