Can't Stop - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #121
zajDmB1

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Can't Stop

Wait, if you think "Jimi Thing...Two Step, Crush, Ants, Crash, Billies and countless others" are comparatively not great songs why are you even a fan of this band in the first place? Your cynicism has hit a record low here...They don't have many songs that you could legitimately argue are significantly better than those.
zajDmB1 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #122
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zajDmB1 View Post
    Wait, if you think "Jimi Thing...Two Step, Crush, Ants, Crash, Billies and countless others" are comparatively not great songs why are you even a fan of this band in the first place? Your cynicism has hit a record low here...They don't have many songs that you could legitimately argue are significantly better than those.
    Yea I love those songs and I didn't express that smart enough. But I did put jimi thing in () because it's a classic example of a song the must be played at all stops regardless of quality. Can't stop seems to fit this bill but it shouldn't. That's my point
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #123
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

you know what else needs to stop? "we wrote this in 1 hour y'all!!"
    Old 07-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #124
    Balor3012

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Not a fan of this song
    Balor3012 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2011, 04:11 PM   #125
    zajDmB1

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    Yea I love those songs and I didn't express that smart enough. But I did put jimi thing in () because it's a classic example of a song the must be played at all stops regardless of quality. Can't stop seems to fit this bill but it shouldn't. That's my point
    Ok, just making sure you hadn't gone completely insane haha.
    zajDmB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #126
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zajDmB1 View Post
    Ok, just making sure you hadn't gone completely insane haha.

no, he's fine. in another thread someone said that its a shame that the band can't go 2 festivals without repeating a song like Phish does because DMB has enough material to do it but they dont. i said that while they could, how many people would leave disappointed that Ants, Two Step, and DDTW were not played because they were played at another festival 2 weeks earlier and 800 miles away. so some songs HAVE to be played because they are the songs that made us fall in love with the band, even if we are tired of them or they are not as good as others.

to nick, Jimi is a song that he could do without, but knows that it is a classic song that many love and understands why it must be played as much as it is. we just don't understand why something like Can't Stop also fits that category, considering its only 5 years old not 15, its not even released on an album, and no one knows what it is (and those who do know it don't show the band any excitement when they play it).
    Old 07-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #127
    bayou_captain

Shows Seen: 59

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

I'll be honest, Chicago was my third time seeing Can't Stop and I've always hated the song. When it started in Chicago, I just shook my head in disbelief and sat down for a break. But when I stood back up about halfway through the song like after Tim's solo, I actually got into it. It was better than last year. I mean the first four minutes or so of the song blow... but they really made it work at the end and gave it energy that was missing before.
    bayou_captain is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #128
    Othello-5

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigEyedGooch View Post
    The biggest problem dave has had since 04 is playing half-assed, barely formed songs that he never took the time to just sit down and fucking finish. Not one road released song since 04 has even approached completion. '04, '06, '10...none of the songs released over the past 7 years have ever received anything close to coherent, set lyrics. Even the music from the 06 songs still sound embarrassing sloppy most of the time. Anything since then cannot be called anything more than a noodle or a glorified tease; nothing more than a little snippet of half-mumbled lyrics and basic chords...

...And then there is Blackjack. arguably the only piece of music from the past few years that comes anywhere near to being classified as an actual song. and it embodies everything that's gone wrong with Dave's writing. I understand the band likes to work shit out on the road, but nothing ever gets improved upon, including 90% of the BW songs.

Somewhere along the line Dave decided he could play whatever the fuck he wants, at any level of completion, and the rest of us have to deal with it. His complacency and apathy has gotten steadily worse over the past few years, and it has started to spread to the rest of the classic catalog. Dave says he plays what he wants and we have to deal with it, but he uses pride to mask the fact that his abilities as a songwriter have deteriorated and his passion as a performer has waned. He used to have so much pride in being a disciplined lyricist and has a huge pool of musical creativity in the rest of the band that has gone untapped for quite some time now. Instead of telling us to kiss his ass maybe he should find a little bit of that discipline and pride he used to have in creating quality music.
    Sorry, I know you probably dont care, but just about everything about this post (and that quote at the end) offends me. Whats funny is, I actually agree with you for the most part, but you sound so angry and vulgar That I cant take you seriously.

Flame away if you want, but I had to say that.
    Othello-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #129
    doesmusicbest

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
    no, he's fine. in another thread someone said that its a shame that the band can't go 2 festivals without repeating a song like Phish does because DMB has enough material to do it but they dont. i said that while they could, how many people would leave disappointed that Ants, Two Step, and DDTW were not played because they were played at another festival 2 weeks earlier and 800 miles away. so some songs HAVE to be played because they are the songs that made us fall in love with the band, even if we are tired of them or they are not as good as others.

to nick, Jimi is a song that he could do without, but knows that it is a classic song that many love and understands why it must be played as much as it is. we just don't understand why something like Can't Stop also fits that category, considering its only 5 years old not 15, its not even released on an album, and no one knows what it is (and those who do know it don't show the band any excitement when they play it).
    Can't Stop doesn't fit into that category.
    Old 07-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #130
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Othello-5 View Post
    Sorry, I know you probably dont care, but just about everything about this post (and that quote at the end) offends me. Whats funny is, I actually agree with you for the most part, but you sound so angry and vulgar That I cant take you seriously.

Flame away if you want, but I had to say that.
    thats sad if it does. its a freakin message board.
    Old 07-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #131
    DmBand801
    Schneider!

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashmpm View Post
    Haha Ok people, you are right we aren't changing anything, but then again what was the point of this thread (or most threads on here for that point).

How many people need to agree this song with worthless before... oh wait, that's right nothing is going to change the band will still play it the same # of times as before this thread was created.

Good stuff.
    Maybe you should stop coming into DMBc...
    Brady is not going to let the crappier younger brother of Fat Forehead beat him in anything. Period.
    DmBand801 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #132
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

the only people who cause issues are people like crashmpm when they take shit personal. its hilarious.
    Old 07-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #133
    spoot388

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by doesmusicbest View Post

WE know that, Dave apparently doesn't though, and thats the problem.
    Old 07-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #134
    ~Crashintome89~
    gregdog love in pa

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Dave can play whatever he wants. If you don't like the music, don't go.
    Claude Giroux is a national treasure.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brohan Santana
    Can someone please tell me what a Gordie Howe Hat Trick is?
    ~Crashintome89~ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #135
    doesmusicbest

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You think Dave thinks that Can't Stop is a classic DMB song?
    Old 07-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #136
    NickyNiceGuy
    Shark-Week

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

If everybody is aware that this consistent arguing over Cornbread and Can't Stop is getting us nowhere, then why do keep putting ourselves through it? None of us are in the band, for those of us who are in a band, we can only dream of being as influential as these guys. For those of us who are here and contributing to the conversation, good for us, but christ almighty, can we get off the complaining? I mean listen, for most of us who are on here on a regular and not so regular basis, we can say that DMB is one of our favorite if not our number one favorite band, right? So we all know what we're talking about. Now, I'm not trying to tell anybody they're wrong or right. I also understand that because you love DMB doesn't mean yo have to love everyone of their songs.

I'm just one of many on here that is so sick and tired of threads devoted to a particular night's song selection because in most cases it's always so negative. By the third page people start taking shit way too personal and lose the point altogether. Like I said, it's okay not liking a song, but everytime the band plays it, do you have to bash the song, and for those of you who do it, the band itself? I know you all know it's getting us nowhere, so why do we keep doing it? There is so freaking much we could talk about on here... twenty years of history and counting. Though this year's a short one when in terms of number of shows, it's a special one for a lot of us. I just don't to see people forgetting that by consistently bashing etc.

With that said, I'm aware that by saying all this I am in a way contributing to the very thing I am arguing against, but I think there is also an air of civility in my argument that a lot of us lose on here on a regular basis. In short, if you don't like a song, cool, whatever... but let's not get hung up on it with pointless threads and aimless bashing.

Now that I've said my piece I just wanted to share with everybody that I just got home from the Caravan stop in Chicago and it was one of the most special moments of my life and something I'll take with me for the rest of my life. The only downfall to the entire weekend was that it had to draw to a close. From the music to the thousands of people I shared the experience with, I will never forget the energy and good vibes all around. So please, from the bottom of my heart, let's not ruin it for people on here who want to focus on that rather than things we cannot control or change.
    NickyNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #137
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

why are people viewing and commenting in here if they dont like it?
    Old 07-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #138
    spoot388

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

you are clearly missing the entire point of what we're talking about.
    Old 07-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #139
    doesmusicbest

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    you are clearly missing the entire point of what we're talking about.
    What am I missing here?
    Old 07-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #140
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

OP is a social outcast who sits in his room all day because he dislikes Can't Stop

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #141
    NickyNiceGuy
    Shark-Week

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    why are people viewing and commenting in here if they dont like it?
    It finds its way EVERYWHERE whenever it is played, whether people were there or not. It's like a goddamn unstoppable force.
    Old 07-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #142
    webbo_5
    Baboon Farm Owner

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NickyNiceGuy View Post
    If everybody is aware that this consistent arguing over Cornbread and Can't Stop is getting us nowhere, then why do keep putting ourselves through it? None of us are in the band, for those of us who are in a band, we can only dream of being as influential as these guys. For those of us who are here and contributing to the conversation, good for us, but christ almighty, can we get off the complaining? I mean listen, for most of us who are on here on a regular and not so regular basis, we can say that DMB is one of our favorite if not our number one favorite band, right? So we all know what we're talking about. Now, I'm not trying to tell anybody they're wrong or right. I also understand that because you love DMB doesn't mean yo have to love everyone of their songs.

I'm just one of many on here that is so sick and tired of threads devoted to a particular night's song selection because in most cases it's always so negative. By the third page people start taking shit way too personal and lose the point altogether. Like I said, it's okay not liking a song, but everytime the band plays it, do you have to bash the song, and for those of you who do it, the band itself? I know you all know it's getting us nowhere, so why do we keep doing it? There is so freaking much we could talk about on here... twenty years of history and counting. Though this year's a short one when in terms of number of shows, it's a special one for a lot of us. I just don't to see people forgetting that by consistently bashing etc.

With that said, I'm aware that by saying all this I am in a way contributing to the very thing I am arguing against, but I think there is also an air of civility in my argument that a lot of us lose on here on a regular basis. In short, if you don't like a song, cool, whatever... but let's not get hung up on it with pointless threads and aimless bashing.

Now that I've said my piece I just wanted to share with everybody that I just got home from the Caravan stop in Chicago and it was one of the most special moments of my life and something I'll take with me for the rest of my life. The only downfall to the entire weekend was that it had to draw to a close. From the music to the thousands of people I shared the experience with, I will never forget the energy and good vibes all around. So please, from the bottom of my heart, let's not ruin it for people on here who want to focus on that rather than things we cannot control or change.
    Every time I see a post this long, I immediately look at the join date...it's always 09-11. Forums are for discussing pointless topics. Everything here is pointless and just for fun.
    Old 07-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #143
    luvlyladie53

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

i dont get all the hate to this song! personally, i LOVE it! it has a great groove and the words are extremely powerful, at least to me. I was in AC and to hear it played, I went crazy, I was extremely happy to hear it and always will be. there are a few tunes that arent my favorites, but when i buy a ticket i take that gamble and i am just happy to be at the show, after close to 20 years of shows, i'll take what they give me and enjoy every damn minute of it! There will come a day where we wont get to see these shows anymore and we will miss it greatly. Enjoy it while you can people!

8/95, 9/96, 6/97, 9/99, 7/00, 12/00, 8/01, 7/04, 7/04, 7/05, 12/05, 6/08, 8/07, 6/08, 4/09, 9/09, 7/10-camden x2, 7/10-Citi, BADER 2011
    luvlyladie53 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #144
    NickyNiceGuy
    Shark-Week

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by webbo_5 View Post
    Every time I see a post this long, I immediately look at the join date...it's always 09-11.
    Wow, you're really gonna play that card, huh?
    Old 07-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #145
    Balor3012

My Tour Central Stats

Op sucks. Can't stop is the best

Am I doing this right now?
    Old 07-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #146
    spoot388

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    What am I missing here?

dave plays can't stop everywhere like its a classic song like two step. not that it IS a classic song that everyone loves, but for whatever reason it gets the same treatment.
    Old 07-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #147
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by webbo_5 View Post
    Every time I see a post this long, I immediately look at the join date...it's always 09-11. Forums are for discussing pointless topics. Everything here is pointless and just for fun.
    Nuh uh!!!!!

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #148
    Balor3012

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by luvlyladie53 View Post
    i dont get all the hate to this song! personally, i LOVE it! it has a great groove and the words are extremely powerful, at least to me. I was in AC and to hear it played, I went crazy, I was extremely happy to hear it and always will be. there are a few tunes that arent my favorites, but when i buy a ticket i take that gamble and i am just happy to be at the show, after close to 20 years of shows, i'll take what they give me and enjoy every damn minute of it! There will come a day where we wont get to see these shows anymore and we will miss it greatly. Enjoy it while you can people!
    So hungry you make me
    So hungry you make me
    So hungry you make me

These speak to me too
    Old 07-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #149
    canes101190
    No Worries

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by luvlyladie53 View Post
    Which words? And how so?
    canes101190 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #150
    luvlyladie53

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by luccic12 View Post
    So hungry you make me
    So hungry you make me
    So hungry you make me

These speak to me too
    YES!! hahaha should we just quote the whole song and drive these haters craaazzzzeeeeeee??

i love you cuz i cant stop
    i neeeed you cuz you wont stop

8/95, 9/96, 6/97, 9/99, 7/00, 12/00, 8/01, 7/04, 7/04, 7/05, 12/05, 6/08, 8/07, 6/08, 4/09, 9/09, 7/10-camden x2, 7/10-Citi, BADER 2011
    luvlyladie53 is offline   Reply With Quote