Old 09-21-2022, 12:30 AM   #61
DIDriveOut2SPAC
American Aquarium Drnkr

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Sign her up

Love her, sign her up and keep her.

After reading about her why the heck did she do the violin recordings on Stand Up and not the diddler fiddler?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-21-2022, 01:07 AM   #62
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Well at least one Ant won’t be happy:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ View Post
    I'd rather get a facial from Boyd's pubes than see a chick violinist rocking out a solo during Tripping Billies.
    Old 09-21-2022, 06:03 AM   #63
    monizzle145

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by autosave36 View Post
    Incubus was my favorite band before I allowed myself to fall in love with DMB. I would attend many many shows if that were the case.
    Light Grenades is a great example of a solid studio album by a band a decade plus away from their prime. Obviously the first few albums are gold but it's hard to have a Light Grenades a 13 years after formation is impressive.
    monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 06:24 AM   #64
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I think it's fine to feel like you don't necessarily "need" the violin in the band...but most of the catalog was created with that instrument in the fabric of the songs. The band sounds better with a violin, especially when it's played by someone competent, which we got to see. Amazing feeling.

Last edited by jaymas9; 09-21-2022 at 06:26 AM.
    jaymas9 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 07:03 AM   #65
    kelchlsm

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

i never thought they needed the violin back in the band but watching those videos they absolutely need her
    kelchlsm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 07:44 AM   #66
    WhoDidIt?

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Bruh . . .
    WhoDidIt? is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 08:01 AM   #67
    jammasterjustin

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Need her in the band. She is amazing
    jammasterjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 08:09 AM   #68
    Gjimmy

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DIDriveOut2SPAC View Post
    Love her, sign her up and keep her.

After reading about her why the heck did she do the violin recordings on Stand Up and not the diddler fiddler?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    She played on the Stand Up album??? Interesting!
    Gjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 08:12 AM   #69
    hopewelljones

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gjimmy View Post
    She played on the Stand Up album??? Interesting!
    There’s violin on that album?!
    hopewelljones is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 08:23 AM   #70
    two-by-twostep

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

that's the most DMB that DMB has sounded in what... 10, 12, 14 years??

and i think it's reallllly interesting that dave had her as the solo guest on Ants and Billies. while i unfortunately don't think she'll be asked to join the band, if you're going to audition a new fiddle player, Ants and Billies (as set closets no less) would be the perfect songs to test someone out.

99% sure it'll lead to nothing, but still verrry interesting
    two-by-twostep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 08:24 AM   #71
    NeatFreakGeek

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by two-by-twostep View Post
    that's the most DMB that DMB has sounded in what... 10, 12, 14 years??

and i think it's reallllly interesting that dave had her as the solo guest on Ants and Billies. while i unfortunately don't think she'll be asked to join the band, if you're going to audition a new fiddle player, Ants and Billies (as set closets no less) would be the perfect songs to test someone out.

99% sure it'll lead to nothing, but still verrry interesting

Imagine what they jammed on during soundcheck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NeatFreakGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 08:24 AM   #72
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

they need her. I don't know how you can watch those videos and not acknowledge it.
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 08:26 AM   #73
    NeatFreakGeek

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kelchlsm View Post
    i never thought they needed the violin back in the band but watching those videos they absolutely need her

She’s awesome but they don’t need her per se. It could be any halfway competent violin player who knows the catalog. I’m hoping the crowd reaction gives Dave a lot to think about after the fall tour (if she’s not involved).

Old 09-21-2022, 08:30 AM   #74
    madhatter

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Heck, if they wanted to bring the whole orchestra on tour with them, I wouldn't complain. I love the sound of the full orchestra with the band.
    madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 08:30 AM   #75
    Elleac

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

It was really awesome to hear and see the violin back for those two songs. I think it's a longshot she joins full-time, for a variety of reasons. I know there's a lot of talk about whether Dave wants one back, but how do we know she's even interested? Of course die hard DMB fans think it's the best music ever, but it can be an acquired taste to listen to, let alone play 50 shows a year as a hired gun.
    Elleac is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 08:32 AM   #76
    kmb40oz

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeatFreakGeek View Post
    She’s awesome but they don’t need her per se. It could be any halfway competent violin player who knows the catalog. I’m hoping the crowd reaction gives Dave a lot to think about after the fall tour (if she’s not involved).

She played the notes correctly. Nothing about her performance was mind-blowing. You all just want the violin back. I want the violin back but she isn't a must add. Go find any studio violin player and they'll put on the same performance.
    Old 09-21-2022, 08:33 AM   #77
    YouNeverKnow25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I mean yeah sure but it's hard to argue with results. it wasn't some halfway decent violin player the past two nights, it was her.

pay for a chartered jet to get her back to her family after every show, and charge 5 more bucks per ticket to cover it. I don't give a shit. I'm just one person and they sure as shit don't need to hear from me, but watching those videos of the past two nights made it crystal clear to me that there's nothing they could do that would make me go to more shows than hiring a violin player, and she's got it down.

sign her up.
    Old 09-21-2022, 08:58 AM   #78
    justindugan

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    I mean yeah sure but it's hard to argue with results. it wasn't some halfway decent violin player the past two nights, it was her.

pay for a chartered jet to get her back to her family after every show, and charge 5 more bucks per ticket to cover it. I don't give a shit. I'm just one person and they sure as shit don't need to hear from me, but watching those videos of the past two nights made it crystal clear to me that there's nothing they could do that would make me go to more shows than hiring a violin player, and she's got it down.

sign her up.
    100%

If they announced she was going to be on the fall tour, nothing would keep me from getting my ass to MSG for both shows.
    justindugan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 09:06 AM   #79
    NeatFreakGeek

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

sign her up.
    My point is that if Dave offers, and she passes, that shouldn't close the book on bringing back a fiddle. I hope the crowd's reaction and hell, the band's reaction resonates with him.
    Old 09-21-2022, 09:09 AM   #80
    YouNeverKnow25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My point is that if Dave offers, and she passes, that shouldn't close the book on bringing back a fiddle.
    ah--okay now that I agree with. however, hopefully it wouldn't come to that.
    Old 09-21-2022, 09:29 AM   #81
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmb40oz View Post
    She played the notes correctly. Nothing about her performance was mind-blowing. You all just want the violin back. I want the violin back but she isn't a must add. Go find any studio violin player and they'll put on the same performance.

I've only heard the performance of Ants from HB so far which I thought was nice. I wasn't completely floored like other guests this year Derek Trucks and Celisse but it obviously scratches an itch that many long term fans have about adding a violin.
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 09:33 AM   #82
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    they need her. I don't know how you can watch those videos and not acknowledge it.
    Facts. It felt like dmb again. Very emotional.
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 09:42 AM   #83
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

This is hysterical, as I remember dropping her name as really the best option to be their new violin player and MANY folks discounted her in an instant. I pointed out her history of working with bands like Widespread Panic and a passion for jambands and or musics where there is space for improvisation. She's also done far more live playing and guest spots playing live than recording...100% comfortable on the stage.

At least one person dismissed because she was Brian Calhoun's (of Rockbridge Guitars) ex-husband as if that would have any bearing on her abilities...ridiculous.

Regardless, I'm glad so many folks now understand how good she is. I've not seen anyone point out how she doesn't sound like Boyd. Of course it still sounds like violin...because it's a freakin' violin. The tone, the precision, the more interesting melodic choices, but it's not about the fact that she's better than Boyd (truly a low bar for a professional violin/fiddle player). She's just an excellent violin player that a familiarity and passion for jammy, rock, bluegrassy, progressive, and other styles of music. She's not just classically trained and focused or bluegrass trained and focused, she's about more musics, but with a certain interest in improvisational rock styles.

My wife thinks they can't add her without getting rid of someone else currently in the band. Being a massive fan of the Tedeschi Trucks band and knowing that they manage 12 musicians, I know DMB can add her without any issue. Both bands are all pros with insane abilities, DMB would just be a smaller group. Further, Anne Marie doesn't need to be on stage/play every song, not unlike Rashawn. I love Tim and enjoy Buddy, but they could sit out a bunch a tunes with Rashawn and it wouldn't be a problem for me. In fact, if they brought in a violin player, I would prefer if they did a full healthy DMB version of how they managed the Gorge '21 shows. Have various lineups come out for various tunes, some larger, some the original five instrumentation, trios, etc.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 09:49 AM   #84
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmb40oz View Post
    That's kind of myopic. She's not trying to do anything but fit in here, she's a guest, NOT a member. This is also just one of a handful of times she's playing with the band and i think maybe the first time she's been featured. As a professional studio and touring musician, she's far more likely to demure to the band and "fit in" rather than come out and fully be herself. Other studio violinists don't have her resume in improvisational rock music.

Folks like Haynes, Krasno, Whitfield, etc. are leaders, featured members, or hired more to be themselves, even in a guest scenario. Despite also being from this similar backgroud, even Jeff was trying to fit in adapting Roi's melodic ideas and licks early in his stint with the band. Given more time on stage with full encouragement to be herself, Anne Marie would greatly expand what she played and adding to the music...just like Jeff and Buddy.

Last edited by grilldanmo; 09-21-2022 at 09:52 AM.
    Old 09-21-2022, 10:06 AM   #85
    two-by-twostep

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    This is hysterical, as I remember dropping her name as really the best option to be their new violin player and MANY folks discounted her in an instant. I pointed out her history of working with bands like Widespread Panic and a passion for jambands and or musics where there is space for improvisation. She's also done far more live playing and guest spots playing live than recording...100% comfortable on the stage.

At least one person dismissed because she was Brian Calhoun's (of Rockbridge Guitars) ex-husband as if that would have any bearing on her abilities...ridiculous.

Regardless, I'm glad so many folks now understand how good she is. I've not seen anyone point out how she doesn't sound like Boyd. Of course it still sounds like violin...because it's a freakin' violin. The tone, the precision, the more interesting melodic choices, but it's not about the fact that she's better than Boyd (truly a low bar for a professional violin/fiddle player). She's just an excellent violin player that a familiarity and passion for jammy, rock, bluegrassy, progressive, and other styles of music. She's not just classically trained and focused or bluegrass trained and focused, she's about more musics, but with a certain interest in improvisational rock styles.

My wife thinks they can't add her without getting rid of someone else currently in the band. Being a massive fan of the Tedeschi Trucks band and knowing that they manage 12 musicians, I know DMB can add her without any issue. Both bands are all pros with insane abilities, DMB would just be a smaller group. Further, Anne Marie doesn't need to be on stage/play every song, not unlike Rashawn. I love Tim and enjoy Buddy, but they could sit out a bunch a tunes with Rashawn and it wouldn't be a problem for me. In fact, if they brought in a violin player, I would prefer if they did a full healthy DMB version of how they managed the Gorge '21 shows. Have various lineups come out for various tunes, some larger, some the original five instrumentation, trios, etc.

she doesn't sound like boyd at all.... she plays in tune!
    two-by-twostep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 10:21 AM   #86
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My wife thinks they can't add her without getting rid of someone else currently in the band.
    See ya Tim. It’s been real.

Last edited by Gunz; 09-21-2022 at 10:23 AM.
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 10:35 AM   #87
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

My wife thinks they can't add her without getting rid of someone else currently in the band.
    Being a massive fan of the Tedeschi Trucks band and knowing that they manage 12 musicians, I know DMB can add her without any issue. Both bands are all pros with insane abilities, DMB would just be a smaller group. Further, Anne Marie doesn't need to be on stage/play every song, not unlike Rashawn. I love Tim and enjoy Buddy, but they could sit out a bunch a tunes with Rashawn and it wouldn't be a problem for me. In fact, if they brought in a violin player, I would prefer if they did a full healthy DMB version of how they managed the Gorge '21 shows. Have various lineups come out for various tunes, some larger, some the original five instrumentation, trios, etc.
    Why's that?
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 10:37 AM   #88
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    Why's that?
    She already thinks there are too many people on stage.

She loved hearing the violin in Ants again, so she's not against the violin, but she thinks they're already too many folks on there. Were they to ditch a couple of the current members to bring the violin back, she'd be more on board. So, it's less that they can't, but she feels like they shouldn't add anyone without removing at least one of the current players, with a focus on the extra bits...Buddy, Rashwn, and/or Tim. And she likes these guys overall, appreciating on some tunes far more than other tunes, but she'd be good if they all left and a violinist replaced them and it was the core 5 sound again. I agree with her (and not because she's my wife).

Last edited by grilldanmo; 09-21-2022 at 10:40 AM.
    Old 09-21-2022, 10:44 AM   #89
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    She already thinks there are too many people on stage.

She loved hearing the violin in Ants again, so she's not against the violin, but she thinks they're already too many folks on there. Were they to ditch a couple of the current members to bring the violin back, she'd be more on board. So, it's less that they can't, but she feels like they shouldn't add anyone without removing at least one of the current players, with a focus on the extra bits...Buddy, Rashwn, and/or Tim. And she likes these guys overall, appreciating on some tunes far more than other tunes, but she'd be good if they all left and a violinist replaced them and it was the core 5 sound again. I agree with her (and not because she's my wife).
    I agree that the band would sound better (less wall of soundy) with, and I would prefer, less members up there (if it was up to me, Tim to go first, Buddy second), but if you're giving me the option of adding a competent violinist to the current lineup or no violin - I am taking the violin and running...
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 10:46 AM   #90
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hopewelljones View Post
    There’s violin on that album?!
    I'm guessing it was on ABI

https://youtu.be/NW16hvlv744