Sign her up - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2022, 03:30 AM   #61
DIDriveOut2SPAC
American Aquarium Drnkr
 
DIDriveOut2SPAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 26,268

Shows Seen: 35

Re: Sign her up

Love her, sign her up and keep her.

After reading about her why the heck did she do the violin recordings on Stand Up and not the diddler fiddler?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
__________________
Dan|
DIDriveOut2SPAC is offline   Reply With Quote

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-21-2022, 04:07 AM   #62
    dobyblue
     
    dobyblue's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Posts: 26,403

    Shows Seen: 63

    Re: Sign her up

    Well at least one Ant wont be happy:

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ View Post
    I'd rather get a facial from Boyd's pubes than see a chick violinist rocking out a solo during Tripping Billies.
    __________________
    Questions about records, turntables and setup? Please post in the Vinyl thread rather than sending PMs:
    **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 09:03 AM   #63
    monizzle145
     
    Join Date: Jul 2014
    Posts: 1,361

    Shows Seen: 42

    Re: Sign her up

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by autosave36 View Post
    Incubus was my favorite band before I allowed myself to fall in love with DMB. I would attend many many shows if that were the case.
    Light Grenades is a great example of a solid studio album by a band a decade plus away from their prime. Obviously the first few albums are gold but it's hard to have a Light Grenades a 13 years after formation is impressive.
    __________________
    2022: Mansfield/Hartford, Creek X2, Alpine X2, SPAC X2, Sound on Sound, Wedding (New Wife Coming Soon)
    Youtube: Concertvids34
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Monizzle145
    monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 09:24 AM   #64
    jaymas9
     
    jaymas9's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Posts: 5,867

    Shows Seen: 27

    Re: Sign her up

    I think it's fine to feel like you don't necessarily "need" the violin in the band...but most of the catalog was created with that instrument in the fabric of the songs. The band sounds better with a violin, especially when it's played by someone competent, which we got to see. Amazing feeling.
    __________________
    I find sometimes it's easy to be myself,
    Sometimes I find it's better to be somebody else."

    Last edited by jaymas9; 09-21-2022 at 09:26 AM.
    jaymas9 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 10:03 AM   #65
    kelchlsm
     
    kelchlsm's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2011
    Posts: 3,940

    Shows Seen: 20

    Re: Sign her up

    i never thought they needed the violin back in the band but watching those videos they absolutely need her
    kelchlsm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 10:44 AM   #66
    WhoDidIt?
     
    Join Date: Jun 2003
    Location: Canton
    Posts: 1,767

    Shows Seen: 38

    Re: Sign her up

    Bruh . . .
    WhoDidIt? is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 11:01 AM   #67
    jammasterjustin
     
    Join Date: Jun 2008
    Location: CNY
    Posts: 1,748

    Shows Seen: 16

    Re: Sign her up

    Need her in the band. She is amazing
    jammasterjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 11:09 AM   #68
    Gjimmy
     
    Join Date: May 2002
    Posts: 384

    Shows Seen: 30

    Re: Sign her up

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DIDriveOut2SPAC View Post
    Love her, sign her up and keep her.

    After reading about her why the heck did she do the violin recordings on Stand Up and not the diddler fiddler?

    Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    She played on the Stand Up album??? Interesting!
    Gjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 11:12 AM   #69
    hopewelljones
     
    Join Date: Mar 2022
    Posts: 376

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: Sign her up

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gjimmy View Post
    She played on the Stand Up album??? Interesting!
    Theres violin on that album?!
    hopewelljones is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 11:23 AM   #70
    two-by-twostep
     
    two-by-twostep's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2007
    Posts: 4,138

    Shows Seen: 13

    Re: Sign her up

    that's the most DMB that DMB has sounded in what... 10, 12, 14 years??

    and i think it's reallllly interesting that dave had her as the solo guest on Ants and Billies. while i unfortunately don't think she'll be asked to join the band, if you're going to audition a new fiddle player, Ants and Billies (as set closets no less) would be the perfect songs to test someone out.

    99% sure it'll lead to nothing, but still verrry interesting
    two-by-twostep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 11:24 AM   #71
    NeatFreakGeek
     
    NeatFreakGeek's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2005
    Posts: 337

    Shows Seen: 10

    Re: Sign her up

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by two-by-twostep View Post
    that's the most DMB that DMB has sounded in what... 10, 12, 14 years??

    and i think it's reallllly interesting that dave had her as the solo guest on Ants and Billies. while i unfortunately don't think she'll be asked to join the band, if you're going to audition a new fiddle player, Ants and Billies (as set closets no less) would be the perfect songs to test someone out.

    99% sure it'll lead to nothing, but still verrry interesting

    Imagine what they jammed on during soundcheck!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NeatFreakGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 11:24 AM   #72
    YouNeverKnow25
    Pudding Skin Singles
     
    YouNeverKnow25's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts: 38,422

    Shows Seen: 108

    Re: Sign her up

    they need her. I don't know how you can watch those videos and not acknowledge it.
    __________________
    ISO pits/lowers, both nights MSG
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 11:26 AM   #73
    NeatFreakGeek
     
    NeatFreakGeek's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2005
    Posts: 337

    Shows Seen: 10

    Re: Sign her up

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kelchlsm View Post
    i never thought they needed the violin back in the band but watching those videos they absolutely need her

    Shes awesome but they dont need her per se. It could be any halfway competent violin player who knows the catalog. Im hoping the crowd reaction gives Dave a lot to think about after the fall tour (if shes not involved).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NeatFreakGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 11:30 AM   #74
    madhatter
     
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Posts: 1,908

    Shows Seen: 3

    Re: Sign her up

    Heck, if they wanted to bring the whole orchestra on tour with them, I wouldn't complain. I love the sound of the full orchestra with the band.
    madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 11:30 AM   #75
    Elleac
     
    Join Date: Jun 2022
    Posts: 6

    Shows Seen: 1

    Re: Sign her up

    It was really awesome to hear and see the violin back for those two songs. I think it's a longshot she joins full-time, for a variety of reasons. I know there's a lot of talk about whether Dave wants one back, but how do we know she's even interested? Of course die hard DMB fans think it's the best music ever, but it can be an acquired taste to listen to, let alone play 50 shows a year as a hired gun.
    Elleac is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 11:32 AM   #76
    kmb40oz
     
    kmb40oz's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2002
    Location: Baltimore, MD
    Posts: 1,670

    Shows Seen: 25

    Re: Sign her up

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeatFreakGeek View Post
    Shes awesome but they dont need her per se. It could be any halfway competent violin player who knows the catalog. Im hoping the crowd reaction gives Dave a lot to think about after the fall tour (if shes not involved).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    She played the notes correctly. Nothing about her performance was mind-blowing. You all just want the violin back. I want the violin back but she isn't a must add. Go find any studio violin player and they'll put on the same performance.
    __________________
    "Chase Utley you are the man"!
    kmb40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 11:33 AM   #77
    YouNeverKnow25
    Pudding Skin Singles
     
    YouNeverKnow25's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts: 38,422

    Shows Seen: 108

    Re: Sign her up

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeatFreakGeek View Post
    Shes awesome but they dont need her per se. It could be any halfway competent violin player who knows the catalog. Im hoping the crowd reaction gives Dave a lot to think about after the fall tour (if shes not involved).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I mean yeah sure but it's hard to argue with results. it wasn't some halfway decent violin player the past two nights, it was her.

    pay for a chartered jet to get her back to her family after every show, and charge 5 more bucks per ticket to cover it. I don't give a shit. I'm just one person and they sure as shit don't need to hear from me, but watching those videos of the past two nights made it crystal clear to me that there's nothing they could do that would make me go to more shows than hiring a violin player, and she's got it down.

    sign her up.
    __________________
    ISO pits/lowers, both nights MSG
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 11:58 AM   #78
    justindugan
     
    Join Date: Jul 2009
    Posts: 39

    Shows Seen: 14

    Re: Sign her up

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    I mean yeah sure but it's hard to argue with results. it wasn't some halfway decent violin player the past two nights, it was her.

    pay for a chartered jet to get her back to her family after every show, and charge 5 more bucks per ticket to cover it. I don't give a shit. I'm just one person and they sure as shit don't need to hear from me, but watching those videos of the past two nights made it crystal clear to me that there's nothing they could do that would make me go to more shows than hiring a violin player, and she's got it down.

    sign her up.
    100%

    If they announced she was going to be on the fall tour, nothing would keep me from getting my ass to MSG for both shows.
    justindugan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 12:06 PM   #79
    NeatFreakGeek
     
    NeatFreakGeek's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2005
    Posts: 337

    Shows Seen: 10

    Re: Sign her up

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    I mean yeah sure but it's hard to argue with results. it wasn't some halfway decent violin player the past two nights, it was her.

    pay for a chartered jet to get her back to her family after every show, and charge 5 more bucks per ticket to cover it. I don't give a shit. I'm just one person and they sure as shit don't need to hear from me, but watching those videos of the past two nights made it crystal clear to me that there's nothing they could do that would make me go to more shows than hiring a violin player, and she's got it down.

    sign her up.
    My point is that if Dave offers, and she passes, that shouldn't close the book on bringing back a fiddle. I hope the crowd's reaction and hell, the band's reaction resonates with him.
    NeatFreakGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 12:09 PM   #80
    YouNeverKnow25
    Pudding Skin Singles
     
    YouNeverKnow25's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts: 38,422

    Shows Seen: 108

    Re: Sign her up

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeatFreakGeek View Post
    My point is that if Dave offers, and she passes, that shouldn't close the book on bringing back a fiddle.
    ah--okay now that I agree with. however, hopefully it wouldn't come to that.
    __________________
    ISO pits/lowers, both nights MSG
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 12:29 PM   #81
    ToySoldier#34
     
    ToySoldier#34's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Posts: 53,062

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: Sign her up

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmb40oz View Post
    She played the notes correctly. Nothing about her performance was mind-blowing. You all just want the violin back. I want the violin back but she isn't a must add. Go find any studio violin player and they'll put on the same performance.

    I've only heard the performance of Ants from HB so far which I thought was nice. I wasn't completely floored like other guests this year Derek Trucks and Celisse but it obviously scratches an itch that many long term fans have about adding a violin.
    __________________
    Make E1 Great Again
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 12:33 PM   #82
    Gunz
     
    Join Date: Sep 2021
    Posts: 819

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: Sign her up

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    they need her. I don't know how you can watch those videos and not acknowledge it.
    Facts. It felt like dmb again. Very emotional.
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 12:42 PM   #83
    grilldanmo
     
    Join Date: Feb 2018
    Posts: 6,048

    Shows Seen: 39

    Re: Sign her up

    This is hysterical, as I remember dropping her name as really the best option to be their new violin player and MANY folks discounted her in an instant. I pointed out her history of working with bands like Widespread Panic and a passion for jambands and or musics where there is space for improvisation. She's also done far more live playing and guest spots playing live than recording...100% comfortable on the stage.

    At least one person dismissed because she was Brian Calhoun's (of Rockbridge Guitars) ex-husband as if that would have any bearing on her abilities...ridiculous.

    Regardless, I'm glad so many folks now understand how good she is. I've not seen anyone point out how she doesn't sound like Boyd. Of course it still sounds like violin...because it's a freakin' violin. The tone, the precision, the more interesting melodic choices, but it's not about the fact that she's better than Boyd (truly a low bar for a professional violin/fiddle player). She's just an excellent violin player that a familiarity and passion for jammy, rock, bluegrassy, progressive, and other styles of music. She's not just classically trained and focused or bluegrass trained and focused, she's about more musics, but with a certain interest in improvisational rock styles.

    My wife thinks they can't add her without getting rid of someone else currently in the band. Being a massive fan of the Tedeschi Trucks band and knowing that they manage 12 musicians, I know DMB can add her without any issue. Both bands are all pros with insane abilities, DMB would just be a smaller group. Further, Anne Marie doesn't need to be on stage/play every song, not unlike Rashawn. I love Tim and enjoy Buddy, but they could sit out a bunch a tunes with Rashawn and it wouldn't be a problem for me. In fact, if they brought in a violin player, I would prefer if they did a full healthy DMB version of how they managed the Gorge '21 shows. Have various lineups come out for various tunes, some larger, some the original five instrumentation, trios, etc.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 12:49 PM   #84
    grilldanmo
     
    Join Date: Feb 2018
    Posts: 6,048

    Shows Seen: 39

    Re: Sign her up

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmb40oz View Post
    She played the notes correctly. Nothing about her performance was mind-blowing. You all just want the violin back. I want the violin back but she isn't a must add. Go find any studio violin player and they'll put on the same performance.
    That's kind of myopic. She's not trying to do anything but fit in here, she's a guest, NOT a member. This is also just one of a handful of times she's playing with the band and i think maybe the first time she's been featured. As a professional studio and touring musician, she's far more likely to demure to the band and "fit in" rather than come out and fully be herself. Other studio violinists don't have her resume in improvisational rock music.

    Folks like Haynes, Krasno, Whitfield, etc. are leaders, featured members, or hired more to be themselves, even in a guest scenario. Despite also being from this similar backgroud, even Jeff was trying to fit in adapting Roi's melodic ideas and licks early in his stint with the band. Given more time on stage with full encouragement to be herself, Anne Marie would greatly expand what she played and adding to the music...just like Jeff and Buddy.

    Last edited by grilldanmo; 09-21-2022 at 12:52 PM.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 01:06 PM   #85
    two-by-twostep
     
    two-by-twostep's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2007
    Posts: 4,138

    Shows Seen: 13

    Re: Sign her up

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    This is hysterical, as I remember dropping her name as really the best option to be their new violin player and MANY folks discounted her in an instant. I pointed out her history of working with bands like Widespread Panic and a passion for jambands and or musics where there is space for improvisation. She's also done far more live playing and guest spots playing live than recording...100% comfortable on the stage.

    At least one person dismissed because she was Brian Calhoun's (of Rockbridge Guitars) ex-husband as if that would have any bearing on her abilities...ridiculous.

    Regardless, I'm glad so many folks now understand how good she is. I've not seen anyone point out how she doesn't sound like Boyd. Of course it still sounds like violin...because it's a freakin' violin. The tone, the precision, the more interesting melodic choices, but it's not about the fact that she's better than Boyd (truly a low bar for a professional violin/fiddle player). She's just an excellent violin player that a familiarity and passion for jammy, rock, bluegrassy, progressive, and other styles of music. She's not just classically trained and focused or bluegrass trained and focused, she's about more musics, but with a certain interest in improvisational rock styles.

    My wife thinks they can't add her without getting rid of someone else currently in the band. Being a massive fan of the Tedeschi Trucks band and knowing that they manage 12 musicians, I know DMB can add her without any issue. Both bands are all pros with insane abilities, DMB would just be a smaller group. Further, Anne Marie doesn't need to be on stage/play every song, not unlike Rashawn. I love Tim and enjoy Buddy, but they could sit out a bunch a tunes with Rashawn and it wouldn't be a problem for me. In fact, if they brought in a violin player, I would prefer if they did a full healthy DMB version of how they managed the Gorge '21 shows. Have various lineups come out for various tunes, some larger, some the original five instrumentation, trios, etc.

    she doesn't sound like boyd at all.... she plays in tune!
    two-by-twostep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 01:21 PM   #86
    Gunz
     
    Join Date: Sep 2021
    Posts: 819

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: Sign her up

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    My wife thinks they can't add her without getting rid of someone else currently in the band.
    See ya Tim. It’s been real.

    Last edited by Gunz; 09-21-2022 at 01:23 PM.
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 01:35 PM   #87
    Cscottrun
     
    Cscottrun's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Long Island, NY
    Posts: 13,609

    Shows Seen: 80

    Re: Sign her up

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    This is hysterical, as I remember dropping her name as really the best option to be their new violin player and MANY folks discounted her in an instant. I pointed out her history of working with bands like Widespread Panic and a passion for jambands and or musics where there is space for improvisation. She's also done far more live playing and guest spots playing live than recording...100% comfortable on the stage.

    At least one person dismissed because she was Brian Calhoun's (of Rockbridge Guitars) ex-husband as if that would have any bearing on her abilities...ridiculous.

    Regardless, I'm glad so many folks now understand how good she is. I've not seen anyone point out how she doesn't sound like Boyd. Of course it still sounds like violin...because it's a freakin' violin. The tone, the precision, the more interesting melodic choices, but it's not about the fact that she's better than Boyd (truly a low bar for a professional violin/fiddle player). She's just an excellent violin player that a familiarity and passion for jammy, rock, bluegrassy, progressive, and other styles of music. She's not just classically trained and focused or bluegrass trained and focused, she's about more musics, but with a certain interest in improvisational rock styles.

    My wife thinks they can't add her without getting rid of someone else currently in the band.
    Being a massive fan of the Tedeschi Trucks band and knowing that they manage 12 musicians, I know DMB can add her without any issue. Both bands are all pros with insane abilities, DMB would just be a smaller group. Further, Anne Marie doesn't need to be on stage/play every song, not unlike Rashawn. I love Tim and enjoy Buddy, but they could sit out a bunch a tunes with Rashawn and it wouldn't be a problem for me. In fact, if they brought in a violin player, I would prefer if they did a full healthy DMB version of how they managed the Gorge '21 shows. Have various lineups come out for various tunes, some larger, some the original five instrumentation, trios, etc.
    Why's that?
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 01:37 PM   #88
    grilldanmo
     
    Join Date: Feb 2018
    Posts: 6,048

    Shows Seen: 39

    Re: Sign her up

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    Why's that?
    She already thinks there are too many people on stage.

    She loved hearing the violin in Ants again, so she's not against the violin, but she thinks they're already too many folks on there. Were they to ditch a couple of the current members to bring the violin back, she'd be more on board. So, it's less that they can't, but she feels like they shouldn't add anyone without removing at least one of the current players, with a focus on the extra bits...Buddy, Rashwn, and/or Tim. And she likes these guys overall, appreciating on some tunes far more than other tunes, but she'd be good if they all left and a violinist replaced them and it was the core 5 sound again. I agree with her (and not because she's my wife).

    Last edited by grilldanmo; 09-21-2022 at 01:40 PM.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 01:44 PM   #89
    Cscottrun
     
    Cscottrun's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Long Island, NY
    Posts: 13,609

    Shows Seen: 80

    Re: Sign her up

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    She already thinks there are too many people on stage.

    She loved hearing the violin in Ants again, so she's not against the violin, but she thinks they're already too many folks on there. Were they to ditch a couple of the current members to bring the violin back, she'd be more on board. So, it's less that they can't, but she feels like they shouldn't add anyone without removing at least one of the current players, with a focus on the extra bits...Buddy, Rashwn, and/or Tim. And she likes these guys overall, appreciating on some tunes far more than other tunes, but she'd be good if they all left and a violinist replaced them and it was the core 5 sound again. I agree with her (and not because she's my wife).
    I agree that the band would sound better (less wall of soundy) with, and I would prefer, less members up there (if it was up to me, Tim to go first, Buddy second), but if you're giving me the option of adding a competent violinist to the current lineup or no violin - I am taking the violin and running...
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2022, 01:46 PM   #90
    Dannyyankou
     
    Dannyyankou's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Location: Westchester, NY
    Posts: 32,390

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: Sign her up

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hopewelljones View Post
    Theres violin on that album?!
    I'm guessing it was on ABI

    https://youtu.be/NW16hvlv744
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:30 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Privacy Policy
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Ants Facebook
    Ants Instagram