Busted Stuff - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
arizza11
 
arizza11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,297

Shows Seen: 90

Busted Stuff

I was just listening to Busted Stuff this morning at work and I was thinking if the Lillywhite Sessions were never heard or the whole thing never happened and Busted Stuff was still an album, would it be considered Big 4? I personally think it would be, I really like the album. Wanted to see your guys thoughts.
__________________
IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII
6 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS
'91 '92 '09 '16 '17
5 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPS
arizza11 is offline   Reply With Quote

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
    drop2d
     
    drop2d's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: NH
    Posts: 30,814

    Shows Seen: 32

    Re: Busted Stuff

    Oh boy.... Not this again....
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bonzo48280 View Post
    I'd rather be wearing an American Flag T-shirt blasting Foreigner through a boombox in Pyongyang than ever set foot in St Louis ever again.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby
     
    btpeters's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2007
    Location: Indianapolis, IN
    Posts: 25,387

    Shows Seen: 67

    Re: Busted Stuff

    There's plenty of archived thoughts throughout here in threads with the same subject or general discussion.

    But I'm sure there's some newer members that have not weighed in on it since the last time this was a thread. Or maybe some people have changed their argument or found new evidence to support their old thoughts. Right?
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
    kittensXLI
    Save_Us.Y2J
     
    kittensXLI's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 66,565

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: Busted Stuff

    Absolutely.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LadyMadonna68 View Post
    Why the spike in candy consumption?
    kittensXLI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
    cward
     
    cward's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2009
    Posts: 5,823

    Shows Seen: 16

    Re: Busted Stuff

    I actually do consider Busted Stuff part of a Big 4.

    It's actually my 2nd favorite album behind BTCS.
    __________________
    Chris

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 View Post
    You sound like a curmudgeony old man.
    cward is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
    jhinds76
     
    jhinds76's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2007
    Location: Ashland, WI
    Posts: 15,429

    Shows Seen: 58

    Re: Busted Stuff

    In my mind yes. Even with the LWS Busted Stuff is still a good album.
    __________________
    (Joe Creekz sold my tickets)
    jhinds76 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
    TMoore4075
    RIP LeRoi: 1961-2008
     
    TMoore4075's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2003
    Location: Hockeytown
    Posts: 22,650

    Shows Seen: 27

    Re: Busted Stuff

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jhinds76 View Post
    In my mind yes. Even with the LWS Busted Stuff is still a good album.
    That's also my opinion.

    However, I do think Busted Stuff might be viewed more favorably with fans had they not heard and liked tLWS. Big 4? Not sure but more favorably because there couldn't be the argument about Bartender vs. Bartender.
    __________________
    ~Tim
    Facebook Me - My Red Wings/Hockey BLOG

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    I am so jealous of the coyotes right now.
    TMoore4075 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
    ctdmber
     
    Join Date: Apr 2011
    Location: Connecticut
    Posts: 373

    Shows Seen: 75

    Re: Busted Stuff

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TMoore4075 View Post
    That's also my opinion.

    However, I do think Busted Stuff might be viewed more favorably with fans had they not heard and liked tLWS. Big 4? Not sure but more favorably because there couldn't be the argument about Bartender vs. Bartender.
    agree with this.
    ctdmber is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
    bigbeartilidie
     
    bigbeartilidie's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2010
    Location: VT
    Posts: 1,291

    Shows Seen: 106

    Re: Busted Stuff

    Yes, if the 2000 tour happened with the same sets and the LWS were just never leaked, I think we would.
    __________________
    My Shows
    bigbeartilidie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #10
    Jake
     
    Jake's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2002
    Location: Sunny F-L-A
    Posts: 59,163

    Shows Seen: 61

    Re: Busted Stuff

    My bad. I thought this was for me
    __________________
    Jake AT antsmarching.org
    Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
    arizza11
     
    arizza11's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Pittsburgh
    Posts: 1,297

    Shows Seen: 90

    Re: Busted Stuff

    That's what I thought...the comparison between the LWS vs. BS songs which in my opinion are better, but I think without LWS BS would be in that category of Big 4. I actually really love the album, I haven't listened to it all the way through in awhile and I just thought it would get much more love if LWS never happened.
    __________________
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII
    6 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS
    '91 '92 '09 '16 '17
    5 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPS
    arizza11 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #12
    kittensXLI
    Save_Us.Y2J
     
    kittensXLI's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 66,565

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: Busted Stuff

    Busted Stuff is great. Probably the 3 in my Big 3, so yeah, I definitely think DMB has a great Big 4.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LadyMadonna68 View Post
    Why the spike in candy consumption?
    kittensXLI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #13
    dmb9howell
    Totes
     
    dmb9howell's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Posts: 22,707

    Shows Seen: 219

    Re: Busted Stuff

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    My bad. I thought this was for me
    I laughed

    I do not consider Busted Stuff to be on the same level as the Big 3 as an album. Personally, I like Everyday better than Busted Stuff, even though in a live setting I prefer the songs from Busted Stuff . I don't know if that makes sense to anyone, but it does to me.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by unccrombie View Post
    whatever you say, Semen Poll
    dmb9howell is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #14
    stlbluespower
    DMB 2012
     
    stlbluespower's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 6,247

    Shows Seen: 35

    Re: Busted Stuff

    I really lump the complert BS and LWS music together. So, taken as a group of songs, it is right up there with the Big 3.
    stlbluespower is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #15
    arizza11
     
    arizza11's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Pittsburgh
    Posts: 1,297

    Shows Seen: 90

    Re: Busted Stuff

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb9howell View Post
    I laughed

    I do not consider Busted Stuff to be on the same level as the Big 3 as an album. Personally, I like Everyday better than Busted Stuff, even though in a live setting I prefer the songs from Busted Stuff . I don't know if that makes sense to anyone, but it does to me.
    Makes perfect sense. As a studio album I actually like Stand Up, but live I'm not a huge fan except a certain few. I would go as far to say that going to a concert I would prefer hearing all of BS over all of BTCS. Love BS songs live.
    __________________
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII
    6 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS
    '91 '92 '09 '16 '17
    5 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPS
    arizza11 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #16
    ToddJoyride
    ain't got no shins
     
    ToddJoyride's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: West Haven, CT
    Posts: 3,492

    Shows Seen: 34

    Re: Busted Stuff

    Busted stuff/Lws songs turn a show from good to AMAZING and FUN
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scootlebug View Post
    What did I do?
    ToddJoyride is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #17
    podiumboy
     
    Join Date: Jun 2006
    Location: Ohio
    Posts: 1,250

    Shows Seen: 19

    Re: Busted Stuff

    I prefer Busted Stuff over UTTAD, to be honest. Especially when you add Monkey Man, SUAD and JTR from the LWS, it's a phenomenal record!

    Also, I've been sort of listening to Stand Up lately... it's not as revolting as I thought. I remember liking the album when it first came out, and some of those emotions are coming back.
    podiumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #18
    Prime Minister
    002
     
    Prime Minister's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Posts: 15,242

    Shows Seen: 26

    Re: Busted Stuff

    Jake,

    How do you like the Marlins this year?
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    000. :)
    .
    .
    .
    MattsMarching Headquarters
    Prime Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-06-2017, 04:24 PM   #19
    coldblueice
     
    coldblueice's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2002
    Posts: 1,471

    Shows Seen: 22

    Re: Busted Stuff

    ALL HAIL BUSTED STUFF. (the album)

    except for the childish and stupid name.

    listening to this on top, top, top quality headphones and i am blown away (yet again).


    AllMusic
    90
    Remarkably, these songs not only retain their emotional core even after they've been cleaned up, but they perhaps even gain more resonance in this setting.

    PopMatters
    90
    A masterwork filled with heavy violins, silky woodwinds, a driving soprano sax, a haunting bass guitar, and expert melding of jazz and rock, with Latin beats and bluesy overtones.

    Billboard
    80
    Busted Stuff is marked by luxuriously long tracks that maximize the skills of the band.

    Spin
    70
    The best album of Dave Matthews' career--the most coherent and graceful, the least wanky and aw-shucks messianic.
    coldblueice is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-06-2017, 04:33 PM   #20
    NewBernPirate13
     
    NewBernPirate13's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2012
    Posts: 545

    Shows Seen: 23

    Re: Busted Stuff

    By far my favorite set of songs...BTCS better as a full-on listen through
    NewBernPirate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-06-2017, 04:58 PM   #21
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator
     
    chadizzy1's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: Central Arkansas
    Posts: 39,889

    Shows Seen: 45

    Re: Busted Stuff

    LWS still better
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-06-2017, 07:07 PM   #22
    bigeyedpigs
     
    Join Date: Feb 2016
    Posts: 1,595

    Shows Seen: 47

    Re: Busted Stuff

    Busted stuff is a great album, we are lucky to even have. The LWS are superior by far, but we were never suppose to those recorded versions. If the LWS were never leaked, there is a very good chance busted stuff never gets released and many of those songs could have gone the way of many of the 04 and 06 songs.
    bigeyedpigs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-06-2017, 07:19 PM   #23
    ToySoldier#34
     
    ToySoldier#34's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Posts: 53,038

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: Busted Stuff

    BTCS is my favorite album but as a complete set of songs Lillywhite Sessions / Busted Stuff might be my favorite group, Busted Stuff is great on its own
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-06-2017, 09:31 PM   #24
    jasoncrowley
     
    Join Date: Nov 2009
    Posts: 180

    Shows Seen: 12

    Re: Busted Stuff

    Although unfinished, The Lillywhite Sessions is my favorite DMB album of all time, just a notch above BTCS.

    1a LWS
    1b BTCS
    2 Crash
    3 UTTAD
    4 Busted Stuff
    5 Everyday
    6 Big Whiskey
    7 Away from the World
    8 Stand Up
    jasoncrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-24-2022, 09:47 AM   #25
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5
     
    KevinTH's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Posts: 8,668

    Shows Seen: 33

    Re: Busted Stuff

    I don’t know about anyone else, but after listening to the Steve Harris interview it gave me a whole new appreciation for Busted Stuff as an album. It’s always been an album I’ve loved and come back to many times but had that nagging, “what could have been…?” in the back of my mind given the Lillywhite Sessions. Most of us, especially those of us old enough and lucky enough to have experienced the Lillywhite Sessions leak, tend to favor “what could have been” over what ultimately was. But I’ll be damned if Busted Stuff doesn’t belong on some sort of DMB album wall of fame.

    I’m a huge fan of music history and the inner workings of bands. Sometimes, all it takes is a good documentary to spark my interest in a bands music, because it adds more context. In the case of Busted Stuff, I felt Matt Norlander’s interview with Steve Harris offered great context to the album and made me appreciate it even more. The fact that it’s the ONLY album with just the 5 original members is special in it of itself. Then to contextualize it with the fact that Everyday was such a glossy polished diversion from the bands sound and they come back just a year later with an album that returns to form just the 5 of them is perfect. It also shows just how great those tracks are that they didn’t need the fancy production Lillywhite brought to the table in the first three albums.

    It’s funny, on the flip side, the interview Norlander did with Lillywhite made me care for those sessions less because of how uninteresting that story ended up being. I mean, JTR, Captain and Grace is Gone are still masterpieces from those sessions, but there’s a stronger fuller energy in the collective release that is Busted Stuff. Lillywhite Sessions really do sound pretty lifeless. Example: Sweet Up and Down.

    If there were a Big 4, Busted Stuff certainly deserves it. Top tier DMB album.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-24-2022, 10:01 AM   #26
    bustedstuff88
     
    bustedstuff88's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2009
    Location: Over the rainbow
    Posts: 4,996

    Shows Seen: 48

    Re: Busted Stuff

    Present!
    __________________
    It all comes down to nothing

    2022: Alpine x2, Gorge x3, Minneapolis
    bustedstuff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-24-2022, 10:27 PM   #27
    Crashintotable
    Registered User
     
    Join Date: Aug 2022
    Posts: 10

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: Busted Stuff

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    I don’t know about anyone else, but after listening to the Steve Harris interview it gave me a whole new appreciation for Busted Stuff as an album. It’s always been an album I’ve loved and come back to many times but had that nagging, “what could have been…?” in the back of my mind given the Lillywhite Sessions. Most of us, especially those of us old enough and lucky enough to have experienced the Lillywhite Sessions leak, tend to favor “what could have been” over what ultimately was. But I’ll be damned if Busted Stuff doesn’t belong on some sort of DMB album wall of fame.

    I’m a huge fan of music history and the inner workings of bands. Sometimes, all it takes is a good documentary to spark my interest in a bands music, because it adds more context. In the case of Busted Stuff, I felt Matt Norlander’s interview with Steve Harris offered great context to the album and made me appreciate it even more. The fact that it’s the ONLY album with just the 5 original members is special in it of itself. Then to contextualize it with the fact that Everyday was such a glossy polished diversion from the bands sound and they come back just a year later with an album that returns to form just the 5 of them is perfect. It also shows just how great those tracks are that they didn’t need the fancy production Lillywhite brought to the table in the first three albums.

    It’s funny, on the flip side, the interview Norlander did with Lillywhite made me care for those sessions less because of how uninteresting that story ended up being. I mean, JTR, Captain and Grace is Gone are still masterpieces from those sessions, but there’s a stronger fuller energy in the collective release that is Busted Stuff. Lillywhite Sessions really do sound pretty lifeless. Example: Sweet Up and Down.

    If there were a Big 4, Busted Stuff certainly deserves it. Top tier DMB album.
    Not trying to be antagonistic, but I had an opposite experience. I hadn’t listened to BS in years til I heard the podcast. So it intrigued me to go back and give it a chance again. It’s still flat and lifeless for me. Still sounds kind of “ok, let’s just finish this”. You never know is the highlight for me. Maybe grey street, but it just doesn’t have the meat that the Big 3 do. There’s not much of a reward for multiple listens. Little treats that you catch on the 10th tile through.

    It is very much a bare bones OG 5 album.

    I live those songs live. I can take or leave the album. Everyday is still the 4th best for me. Followed by Big Whiskey and then BS.
    Crashintotable is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-25-2022, 02:23 PM   #28
    Dodo36
     
    Dodo36's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2005
    Location: Michigan
    Posts: 741

    Shows Seen: 8

    Re: Busted Stuff

    BS is just missing a certain edge and energy in the recordings as a collection. WAYG and YNK being exceptions. I feel like Captain is more sure-footed on BS, but still feels flat somehow. You can almost feel the band thinking 'here we go again' on many of the recordings. Had we never known studio LWS recordings existed, "Raven" in particular still would have felt like a downgrade from the live renditions prior. It's not a bad record, certainly head, shoulders, and dangle above Stand Up, just not a part of a Big 4 IMO. Which is a shame because I love a lot of those songs.
    __________________
    http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/sh...06#post9604706

    Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-25-2022, 03:20 PM   #29
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball
     
    Cryfreedom09's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Location: Lawrenceville, GA
    Posts: 2,915

    Shows Seen: 17

    Re: Busted Stuff

    I agree I think it would be big 4 for me. Back in the day I wasn't that great at downloading songs on the internet so I actually listed to Busted Stuff long before I hear tLWS. I'm kinda glad it happened that way. I think it allows my perspective to be slightly different than those that heard tLWS first.
    __________________
    GOOOOOOO DAWGS !!!!!!!!!!!
    Cryfreedom09 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-29-2022, 07:03 PM   #30
    ToySoldier#34
     
    ToySoldier#34's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Posts: 53,038

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: Busted Stuff

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    I don’t know about anyone else, but after listening to the Steve Harris interview it gave me a whole new appreciation for Busted Stuff as an album. It’s always been an album I’ve loved and come back to many times but had that nagging, “what could have been…?” in the back of my mind given the Lillywhite Sessions. Most of us, especially those of us old enough and lucky enough to have experienced the Lillywhite Sessions leak, tend to favor “what could have been” over what ultimately was. But I’ll be damned if Busted Stuff doesn’t belong on some sort of DMB album wall of fame.

    I’m a huge fan of music history and the inner workings of bands. Sometimes, all it takes is a good documentary to spark my interest in a bands music, because it adds more context. In the case of Busted Stuff, I felt Matt Norlander’s interview with Steve Harris offered great context to the album and made me appreciate it even more. The fact that it’s the ONLY album with just the 5 original members is special in it of itself. Then to contextualize it with the fact that Everyday was such a glossy polished diversion from the bands sound and they come back just a year later with an album that returns to form just the 5 of them is perfect. It also shows just how great those tracks are that they didn’t need the fancy production Lillywhite brought to the table in the first three albums.

    It’s funny, on the flip side, the interview Norlander did with Lillywhite made me care for those sessions less because of how uninteresting that story ended up being. I mean, JTR, Captain and Grace is Gone are still masterpieces from those sessions, but there’s a stronger fuller energy in the collective release that is Busted Stuff. Lillywhite Sessions really do sound pretty lifeless. Example: Sweet Up and Down.

    If there were a Big 4, Busted Stuff certainly deserves it. Top tier DMB album.


    I'd love to know why he has Roi all over the place in the mix throughout the whole thing
    __________________
    Make E1 Great Again
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:43 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Privacy Policy
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Ants Facebook
    Ants Instagram