Ants Podcast 91: It's That Time Again and Again - Episode Discussion - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-04-2018, 07:19 PM   #1
Matt

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Ants Podcast 91: It's That Time Again and Again - Episode Discussion

In our new album penultimate podcast, we discuss the latest song drop of Again and Again (ed: Bob Law), along with the album track times and the last 5 live shows.*We take a data driven look at each of the topics and in each case it tells us something different than the general feel.*Do you agree with the data or the feel?*Plus a lightning-round recap of the setlist game results.*Give it a listen and then join us this Sunday night for a LIVE podcast discussion on the new album.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-04-2018, 10:18 PM   #2
    eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Ants Podcast 91: It's That Time Again and Again - Episode Discussion

To the bit about questioning who the producers were for what song, you can check that stuff on Spotify. Here are the producers for the songs we have so far:

Samurai Cop - Produced by John Alagia, Rob Cavallo

That Girl Is You - Produced by Rob Evans

Again and Again - Produced by John Alagia, Rob Cavallo
    eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2018, 03:58 AM   #3
    Dankguitar

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Matt, you seem really down on the band these days and I don’t really blame you necessarily. That being said I’m surprised you’re not happy with how the band sounds. Is the violin missed greatly? Sure. But has the violin really been a part of their live sound in recent years? Nope. Aside from a few songs such as Ants where it just doesn’t work, I think the band is playing with much more finesse/dynamics than they have since Rashawn and Tim joined.
    Dankguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2018, 05:09 AM   #4
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

Shows Seen: 52

My Tour Central Stats

I really don’t understand how anyone can complain about how they sound this year. I went to both shows this past weekend and they sounded great. They don’t seem to be rushing through songs at all, very deliberate notes.
    Bluewater21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2018, 09:46 AM   #5
    Matt

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dankguitar View Post
    Matt, you seem really down on the band these days and I don’t really blame you necessarily. That being said I’m surprised you’re not happy with how the band sounds. Is the violin missed greatly? Sure. But has the violin really been a part of their live sound in recent years? Nope. Aside from a few songs such as Ants where it just doesn’t work, I think the band is playing with much more finesse/dynamics than they have since Rashawn and Tim joined.
    Yeah, they just sound empty to me. Look at it this way: how many bands out there are guitar(s), drums, bass and piano? Quite a few. Now you've got sax/trumpet but my feelings on the execution of that are well known; Jeff Coffin is absolutely neutered up there by the current setup and they're a glorified horn section. Boring stuff and way beneath their talent levels. It's a strong example of the sum being less than the parts. The violin, poor as it's been in recent years, was still a unique dynamic, and a good chunk of their classic songs absolutely rely on it. What you feel is finesse and dynamic, I find to be canned and unimaginative with regards to Jeff/Rashawn.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bluewater21 View Post
    I really don’t understand how anyone can complain about how they sound this year. I went to both shows this past weekend and they sounded great. They don’t seem to be rushing through songs at all, very deliberate notes.
    Well that's the thing about opinions, we can have different ones. Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm super happy you got to hit some shows and you enjoyed yourself. We all want that. I just don't think this current iteration of the band is all that interesting. Throw in predictable and safe setlists, and you've got someone who's been to 75 shows (me) who just isn't all that excited about seeing number 76.
    Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2018, 09:53 AM   #6
    DMBCardinal

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I think the band sounds better than they have in years. Big fan of Buddy.
    DMBCardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2018, 09:58 AM   #7
    Bmwm3oz

Shows Seen: 48

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Throw in predictable and safe setlists, and you've got someone who's been to 75 shows (me) who just isn't all that excited about seeing number 76.
    They've played what, nine shows? They lost Boyd and brought in Buddy..that's a big adjustment to make. Also, they aren't playing at any exciting venues yet.

Then again, I've never understood the setlist obsession. I like good music. Right now the band is playing really well and there is a new energy we haven't seen in a while. If they throw in Let you down or #40, are the shows suddenly something to be excited for?
    Bmwm3oz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2018, 09:59 AM   #8
    DMBCardinal

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz View Post
    They've played what, nine shows? They lost Boyd and brought in Buddy..that's a big adjustment to make. Also, they aren't playing at any exciting venues yet.

Then again, I've never understood the setlist obsession. I like good music. Right now the band is playing really well and there is a new energy we haven't seen in a while. If they throw in Let you down or #40, are the shows suddenly something to be excited for?
    If you go to multiple shows I could understand the concern. I’m going to one show, so the repetition doesn’t bother me.
    DMBCardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #9
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBCardinal View Post
    If you go to multiple shows I could understand the concern. I’m going to one show, so the repetition doesn’t bother me.
    Ah, yeah, should have thought of that.
    Old 06-05-2018, 10:22 AM   #10
    skiddiet
    Oak-town!

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, they just sound empty to me. Look at it this way: how many bands out there are guitar(s), drums, bass and piano? Quite a few. Now you've got sax/trumpet but my feelings on the execution of that are well known; Jeff Coffin is absolutely neutered up there by the current setup and they're a glorified horn section. Boring stuff and way beneath their talent levels. It's a strong example of the sum being less than the parts. The violin, poor as it's been in recent years, was still a unique dynamic, and a good chunk of their classic songs absolutely rely on it. What you feel is finesse and dynamic, I find to be canned and unimaginative with regards to Jeff/Rashawn.
    This is my biggest concern/thought/critique of the band. It's a total waste of Jeff (and Rashawn's) talent to reserve them for 30seconds at the end of the song for a rehearsed "horn part". I wonder if Jeff will bounce one day (soon). Although, I'm sure the paychecks are incredible.

Shotgun, Irvine, CA 2006 "...maybe we should go dancing?"
    skiddiet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2018, 10:26 AM   #11
    KClaw

Shows Seen: 62

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Well that's the thing about opinions, we can have different ones. Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm super happy you got to hit some shows and you enjoyed yourself. We all want that. I just don't think this current iteration of the band is all that interesting. Throw in predictable and safe setlists, and you've got someone who's been to 75 shows (me) who just isn't all that excited about seeing number 76.
    The band sounded great Saturday. I seem to be in the rarity in thinking that the band sounds great on Ants this year. I don't miss the violin on that song - other songs maybe but not that one. I don't know, Jeff and Rashawn seem like more than a glorified horn section to me. You are selling them short. Rashawn was doing some great stuff on the solos and Boyd parts at Blossom. He was the MVP last Saturday night IMO. Sure the violin and sax make them a little more unique than a lot of bands but the most unique sound/aspect to me is and always will be Dave himself. I don't miss the violin as it hasn't been consistently great the last few tours and this version of the band is tight.
    KClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2018, 10:26 AM   #12
    KClaw

Shows Seen: 62

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBCardinal View Post
    I think the band sounds better than they have in years. Big fan of Buddy.
    In agreement.
    KClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2018, 10:40 AM   #13
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KClaw View Post
    The band sounded great Saturday. I seem to be in the rarity in thinking that the band sounds great on Ants this year. I don't miss the violin on that song - other songs maybe but not that one. I don't know, Jeff and Rashawn seem like more than a glorified horn section to me. You are selling them short. Rashawn was doing some great stuff on the solos and Boyd parts at Blossom. He was the MVP last Saturday night IMO. Sure the violin and sax make them a little more unique than a lot of bands but the most unique sound/aspect to me is and always will be Dave himself. I don't miss the violin as it hasn't been consistently great the last few tours and this version of the band is tight.
    You’re not alone. Most of us think the band sounds great
    Old 06-05-2018, 05:23 PM   #14
    birdsfan09
    O's/Ravens/Caps/Terps

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

What did Joe mean when saying there’s rumors about what this tour may bring???
    birdsfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2018, 05:40 PM   #15
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by birdsfan09 View Post
    What did Joe mean when saying there’s rumors about what this tour may bring???

Rumors of a violinist guesting at some point
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-06-2018, 11:06 AM   #16
    DaveCrave41

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

WTWE sounded awesome with Buddy. I'm not a huge fan of WTWE, but he brought the funky!

Awesome that fans had the opportunity to ask Mark about DMB. Hopefully he didn't catch the red glare of anyone else involved.
    DaveCrave41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-06-2018, 11:58 AM   #17
    kev87lads
    HipHah

Shows Seen: 83

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    In our new album penultimate podcast, we discuss the latest song drop of Again and Again (ed: Bob Law), along with the album track times and the last 5 live shows.*We take a data driven look at each of the topics and in each case it tells us something different than the general feel.*Do you agree with the data or the feel?*Plus a lightning-round recap of the setlist game results.*Give it a listen and then join us this Sunday night for a LIVE podcast discussion on the new album.
    Hey Matt. I'll be that guy that asks again because I didn't see an answer anywhere. Have you and Joe just not been able to line up schedules with Jake for these more recent podcasts or has Jake just taken a step back from some of the stuff on Ants? Maybe I missed something.

Either way. Good listen again. Thanks for doing these.
    Kev the real MVP here.
    MSG made it 83!
    kev87lads is offline   Reply With Quote