Favorite beer of choice? - Page 51 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 11-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #1501
Emanu

Location: Depends, already lived in 7 countries, 3 continents & visited 80 countries.

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Favorite beer of choice?

Trappist Westvleteren 8
http://thebeerinme.com/e107_files/pu...0_img_0834.jpg
Emanu is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #1502
    Stabn
    Kölle Alaaf

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Beck's
    Krombacher
    Budweiser
    Chimay bleue
    Guinness
    Stabn is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #1503
    Bron Yr Aur

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrinkNoH2O View Post
    I still haven't tried the regular Harvest Ale or the Estate Harvest Ale, but damn that Southern Hemisphere Harvest Ale (hops from New Zealand) is really tasty. The hop flavor is more subtle because they use fresh hops rather than pellets in the harvest series.
    My post was referring to Founder's Harvest Ale which is a wet hop ale.

However, the Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Fresh Hop Harvest Ale is an excellent pale ale. That stuff is amazing. I also haven't had SN Harvest or Estate but the SHFHHA is my favorite of their beers, just passing Celebration Ale.
    Old 11-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #1504
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I'm trying a Sam Adam's Coastal Wheat right now, and I'm surprised, I actually like it. Nothing too complicated or anything, but it's very drinkable, and I kinda like it.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-13-2009, 06:27 PM   #1505
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Emanu View Post

Are they the ones that won't export anywhere?

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 11-13-2009, 06:32 PM   #1506
    Bron Yr Aur

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post
    I'm trying a Sam Adam's Coastal Wheat right now, and I'm surprised, I actually like it. Nothing too complicated or anything, but it's very drinkable, and I kinda like it.
    I had a Boson Lager last night because it was the best thing on tap, and I have to say, it's better than I remember. A pretty good beer. People seem to hate on this one and I'm not a big lager fan, but this is a pretty good one. I could actually smell the hops and taste a little hop bitterness. Was quite surprised.
    Old 11-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #1507
    scottbtdmb

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I am sipping on the last of my Bells Expedition Stout. It is truly a first class beer and I have no problem rating it just as high as Oskar Blues Ten Fidy and North Coast Old Rasputin. I think I am going to cave and drive up to PA and buy a case of it. Despite PA's lame laws about buying by the case, I think that I will use it as an opportunity to stock my cellar with 8-10 Expeditions and then enjoy the rest throughout the winter. I have heard people on BA say that with 1 year of cellaring alone, Expedition achieves epic heights. We shall see!

-Scott
    scottbtdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #1508
    dmaul1114

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur View Post
    I had a Boson Lager last night because it was the best thing on tap, and I have to say, it's better than I remember. A pretty good beer. People seem to hate on this one and I'm not a big lager fan, but this is a pretty good one. I could actually smell the hops and taste a little hop bitterness. Was quite surprised.
    Yeah, it's my go to beer in chain restaurants etc. One of the few lagers I like at all.
    Shows Attended: 6/15/96; 6/3/98; 5/9/99; 6/4/99; 8/2/02; 8/3/02; 7/14/04; 6/26/05; 6/24/06; 6/28/08; 6/19/09; 6/20/09; 7/27/10; 5/22/12; 12/11/12; 4/7/13; 5/24/14; 5/30/15; 5/28/16; 5/31/17; 5/26/18; 7/27/21; 5/21/22
    dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2009, 01:05 AM   #1509
    Emanu

Location: Depends, already lived in 7 countries, 3 continents & visited 80 countries.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Are they the ones that won't export anywhere?
    True, I bought one bottle of each in Brussels, but I did visit Westvleteren 2 weeks ago and they were out of stock, so I could only drink one at the cafe across the street but could not buy them.
    (And some people still try to export and sell them at really high prices, and that will result in the abbey to stop selling them all together which would be sad.)
    They are excellent, but the trouble and the price you would pay is not worth it. Well maybe one time just to try, but then might as well buy the Rochefort or the St Bernadus.
    Old 11-14-2009, 03:50 AM   #1510
    Beefsteak1138

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I have two 12's at home that I can't bring myself to actually drink.
    Beefsteak1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2009, 05:19 AM   #1511
    scottbtdmb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 View Post
    I have two 12's at home that I can't bring myself to actually drink.
    Wow, you are lucky. Some guy on BA was selling them at cost (of course shipping was factored in) but it came out to like 28 bucks for two of them, which is not bad considering what they go for on e-bay. I put in for two, but missed the boat this round. The guy offers the Westy up periodically for the same deal, so hopefully I will be able to "get sum" the next time he does. Being in MD, we are still waiting for La Trappe (Koningshoeven) to finish up talks with a new distributor. Their quad, along with Rochefort 10 and St Bernadus, are incredible and I have heard more than one BA member say that it is every bit as good as Westy 12. Pannepot Reserve, a lesser known but equally fantastic quad, is considered by some to be more complex than Westy 12. I have two Pannepots in my cellar and four Koningshoeven Quads. The rest is devoted to Thomas Hardy and JW Lees.

-Scott
    Old 11-14-2009, 08:31 AM   #1512
    Emanu

My Tour Central Stats

^^ Hey yes, I try to find some Pannepots, but it was all sold out, very hard to find, and maybe harder than the Westy 12.
    Won't buy beers from ebay though, but I see them there.
    Even in Brussels if you are lucky to find them, (which I was not) they cost around 10 Euros.
    Old 11-14-2009, 08:42 AM   #1513
    Emanu

My Tour Central Stats

But I would not keep those Westy 12 for ever, they stay good for many years but, you should enjoy the experence of drinking them. I also have a Westy 12 in my cellar, but I plan to drink it by the end of the year, maybe for xmas
    Old 11-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #1514
    scottbtdmb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    ^^ Hey yes, I try to find some Pannepots, but it was all sold out, very hard to find, and maybe harder than the Westy 12.
    Won't buy beers from ebay though, but I see them there.
    Even in Brussels if you are lucky to find them, (which I was not) they cost around 10 Euros.
    Luckily I have two locations near me that have a few Pannepots left. They are both an hour away, but I really need to get up there soon and clean them out. They are all 2007 bottles, so there is already nearly 3 years on them. I have only drank two so far, but they were fantastic. They smell like a flemish sour, have the body of a stout, but certainly drink like a quad!
    Old 11-14-2009, 10:11 AM   #1515
    Bron Yr Aur

My Tour Central Stats

I think it's time for me to start venturing out to some Belgians. I have really only had a couple of BSDA's and have never had a quadrupel. I think I'll probably pick up a bottle Trappistes Rochefort 6 or 8 today.
    Old 11-14-2009, 10:37 AM   #1516
    scottbtdmb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think it's time for me to start venturing out to some Belgians. I have really only had a couple of BSDA's and have never had a quadrupel. I think I'll probably pick up a bottle Trappistes Rochefort 6 or 8 today.
    6 and 8 are both good, but the 10 is stellar if you can find it. Achel Extra used to be a good quad, but now that they stopped corking the bottles, I find that they are not as fresh and tasty as they used to be
    Old 11-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #1517
    scottbtdmb

My Tour Central Stats

Hell yeah, I got my package in the mail today from my first ever beer trade. Big thanks goes out to DMBSignGuy for the trade. I am so excited to try out some West Coast Brews. Damn, which one should I try first?
    Old 11-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #1518
    barefoot
    More coffee....

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Got some of the 09 Anchor Steam X-mas! Love that stuff and the fact its a litte different every year.
    Old 11-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #1519
    Bron Yr Aur

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottbtdmb View Post
    6 and 8 are both good, but the 10 is stellar if you can find it. Achel Extra used to be a good quad, but now that they stopped corking the bottles, I find that they are not as fresh and tasty as they used to be
    Well, they never have the 10 at the massive store I go to. So, I just picked up a bottle of the 8.

As well as:
    24oz Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest
    12oz New Holland Dragon's Milk
    6pack Three Floyd's Alpha King (we are finally getting Three Floyds down here, this stuff just arrived this week)
    Old 11-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #1520
    scottbtdmb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well, they never have the 10 at the massive store I go to. So, I just picked up a bottle of the 8.

As well as:
    24oz Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest
    12oz New Holland Dragon's Milk
    6pack Three Floyd's Alpha King (we are finally getting Three Floyds down here, this stuff just arrived this week)
    Nice man! Never had any Three Floyds as they don't distribute here, but a beer club that I am in just announced that they will have some available for the next pickup. Have you had their Xmas porter by any chance? I think it is called Alpha Klaus or something? Not sure, but I am definitely jealous of tha and the New Holland which I have never had. Well, I am going to get ready to break into my first ever Deschutes Black Butte Porter. Should be good times! Enjoy your beer man.
    Old 11-14-2009, 05:41 PM   #1521
    Bron Yr Aur

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Nice man! Never had any Three Floyds as they don't distribute here, but a beer club that I am in just announced that they will have some available for the next pickup. Have you had their Xmas porter by any chance? I think it is called Alpha Klaus or something? Not sure, but I am definitely jealous of tha and the New Holland which I have never had. Well, I am going to get ready to break into my first ever Deschutes Black Butte Porter. Should be good times! Enjoy your beer man.
    I am really enjoying this Rochefort 8 right now. Very nice stuff. I am a huge hophead but I love the dark fruit flavors, this stuff tastes like crushed apples on the tongue. Quite drinkable for the 9.2% abv, for sure, which is surprising considering the light body. I think I will probably venture out to a quad with the St. Bernadus Abt 12 next weekend.

As far as Three Floyds goes, while I only live a little more than 2 hours from the brewery, we have had a very limited selection of their beers here in Champaign. At the moment we only get Robert the Bruce and Alpha King Pale Ale, but it looks like we're going to start getting more and more as I saw Alpha King for the first time this week.
    Old 11-14-2009, 07:24 PM   #1522
    scottbtdmb

My Tour Central Stats

Wow the Deschutes Black Butte Porter was incredible. I served it at 55 degrees in a snifter and sipped it over the course of a half hour. The malt and hops were perfectly balanced and the taste was smooth velvety chocolate. The only complaint I have is that the mouthfeel was a little thin. I would rank this right behind Anchor as the best porter I have had thus far. I still need to get a hold of the Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald porter as I hear a lot of people say that one is the best US porter. Deschutes' was stellar though. I am going to follow it up with the last of my Founders Breakfast Stout and then head to bed
    Old 11-14-2009, 09:40 PM   #1523
    SqueeBaBooSquee
    Cham Peens

My Tour Central Stats

mmmmmmmmmmm mountain creek mmmmmmmm
    SqueeBaBooSquee is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2009, 10:58 PM   #1524
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Wow the Deschutes Black Butte Porter was incredible. I served it at 55 degrees in a snifter and sipped it over the course of a half hour. The malt and hops were perfectly balanced and the taste was smooth velvety chocolate. The only complaint I have is that the mouthfeel was a little thin. I would rank this right behind Anchor as the best porter I have had thus far. I still need to get a hold of the Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald porter as I hear a lot of people say that one is the best US porter. Deschutes' was stellar though. I am going to follow it up with the last of my Founders Breakfast Stout and then head to bed

Overrated. Not great at all imo.

Anchor's is way better. Not only that, that expression doesn't do it justice. I bought a 6 pack of Edmund Fitzgerald (I also sang the song as I drank it) and I ended up trading two away. It just wasn't that solid at all.

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 11-15-2009, 07:32 AM   #1525
    scottbtdmb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Overrated. Not great at all imo.

Anchor's is way better. Not only that, that expression doesn't do it justice. I bought a 6 pack of Edmund Fitzgerald (I also sang the song as I drank it) and I ended up trading two away. It just wasn't that solid at all.
    Classic!
    Old 11-15-2009, 07:34 AM   #1526
    SoRight24
    Finally

My Tour Central Stats

I'm embarrassed as I admit to drinking a few PBR's and Coors Lights while tailgating yesterday.
    Old 11-15-2009, 01:01 PM   #1527
    Emanu

My Tour Central Stats

De Dolle Boskeun
    http://i35.tinypic.com/ws8zk3.jpg
    Old 11-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #1528
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SoRight24 View Post
    I'm embarrassed as I admit to drinking a few PBR's and Coors Lights while tailgating yesterday.

There's never a need to feel embarrassed. Unless it's like Bud Light Lime or something.

Had a lot of High Life and Mountain Creek last night. Yum to the latter.

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 11-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #1529
    Bohrman26

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SoRight24 View Post
    Never be embarrassed to drink PBR
    Bohrman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-15-2009, 02:02 PM   #1530
    SqueeBaBooSquee
    Cham Peens

My Tour Central Stats

Never.
    SqueeBaBooSquee is offline   Reply With Quote