***Official Irvine 2016 Thread*** - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 05-16-2016, 08:29 PM   #91
dmbfan32

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official Irvine 2016 Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllifromOhio View Post
Just looked into renting a car, what the hell is with the cost of renting in CA? Like $68 a day for a shit economy car. Might have to rethink my flying into San Diego and out of Oakland thing now.
Never rent from the Rental companies at the airport. They typically are a lot more expensive. Try an off-site branch. Might be cheaper. Usually you can get a car for $25 or so per day. Could also be since you renting from one city & dropping off in another.
And no matter how far we may roam, Its by your side I make my home
"
dmbfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-16-2016, 08:34 PM   #92
    AllifromOhio
    Formerly known as

Shows Seen: 97

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbfan32 View Post
    Never rent from the Rental companies at the airport. They typically are a lot more expensive. Try an off-site branch. Might be cheaper. Usually you can get a car for $25 or so per day. Could also be since you renting from one city & dropping off in another.
    I've always heard this but I have always been scared to do it. Not sure how to find an offsite location and how to get there.
    Considering stopping after my #100 show. Should I?
    AllifromOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2016, 08:43 PM   #93
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I've always heard this but I have always been scared to do it. Not sure how to find an offsite location and how to get there.
    Uber there!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kev87lads View Post
    Go Kings Go.
    dmbetc is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2016, 08:54 PM   #94
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Are you renting out of SD and returning in Oakland? If so, the cost might be because of the one way rental.

If returning to the same location, look for an Enterprise (not the airport one) close to the airport. They might be able to pick you up.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2016, 09:00 PM   #95
    AllifromOhio
    Formerly known as

Shows Seen: 97

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    Are you renting out of SD and returning in Oakland? If so, the cost might be because of the one way rental.

If returning to the same location, look for an Enterprise (not the airport one) close to the airport. They might be able to pick you up.
    I thought the switching airports was part of it but then I looked and it was the same per day to return it to SD. Ugh, sucks, I really wanted to do the run but I don't want to spend $450 on the rental not even counting fuel. That's more than my flight there and back.
    Considering stopping after my #100 show. Should I?
    AllifromOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-22-2016, 08:47 PM   #96
    Timebomb07

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Should be heading to L.A./Venice area for work for an event on 8/25... Would love to make the trip down for the Irvine show (I've never seen DMB on the West Coast, let alone CA).

Any suggestions on places to stay near the venue? I saw someone's note about driving into the venue, which was helpful. Any tips/thoughts are appreciated!
    Timebomb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-23-2016, 08:34 AM   #97
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I thought the switching airports was part of it but then I looked and it was the same per day to return it to SD. Ugh, sucks, I really wanted to do the run but I don't want to spend $450 on the rental not even counting fuel. That's more than my flight there and back.
    The only other thing I can recommend is flying into Oakland the day before the SD show (or even Los Angeles), and just hauling ass south, and enjoy that day. I checked some one way rental sites too, and that $450 price is spot. Honestly, that's not even an outrageous price for a 1 way - many times, they are $100+ per day.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-23-2016, 10:45 AM   #98
    TwoStep01

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I know it might be a little awkward. But you could always look for rideshare on Craigslist. Failing that, Greyhound used to do a one week pass thing where you could hop on and off at different spots. Don't know if that's still a thing or not. Plus it would mean having to go through the downtown LA station which may actually be the 7th layer of hell.

Worst case, slap it on the credit card and chalk it up as "life experience" and a beautiful drive up PCH.
    2001:Gorge x3; 2002:Gorge x3; 2003:Gorge x2; 2014:Chula Vista; 2015:Irvine; 2016:Chula Vista, Irvine; 2018:Atlanta, Mtn. View; 2021:Irvine x2; 2022: Chula Vista, Hollywood Bowl x2; 2023:Irvine x2;
    TwoStep01 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #99
    TwoStep01

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timebomb07 View Post
    Should be heading to L.A./Venice area for work for an event on 8/25... Would love to make the trip down for the Irvine show (I've never seen DMB on the West Coast, let alone CA).

Any suggestions on places to stay near the venue? I saw someone's note about driving into the venue, which was helpful. Any tips/thoughts are appreciated!

Will you have a car? Keep in mind that Venice to Irvine is about a 50 mile drive. It's technically possible to go from Santa Monica to Irvine using light rail to commuter rail to uber but it would take several hours and you'd definitely need a close hotel that night...and there aren't many.

If money isn't a concern, best place to stay is the Courtyard/Marriott at Irvine Spectrum. It's a really nice hotel and within a reasonable walk to the amphitheater. But it isn't cheap, like most anything in Irvine.

For a cheaper option about 3 miles up Irvine Center Dr. there's a La Quinta Inn.

If you're willing to drive a little further, there's a few hotels in the $100-$150 a night neighborhood at the 405 and Brookhurst in Fountain Valley (about 10 miles north). Hope that helps.
    2001:Gorge x3; 2002:Gorge x3; 2003:Gorge x2; 2014:Chula Vista; 2015:Irvine; 2016:Chula Vista, Irvine; 2018:Atlanta, Mtn. View; 2021:Irvine x2; 2022: Chula Vista, Hollywood Bowl x2; 2023:Irvine x2;
    Old 05-25-2016, 03:19 PM   #100
    Timebomb07

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TwoStep01 View Post
    Will you have a car? Keep in mind that Venice to Irvine is about a 50 mile drive. It's technically possible to go from Santa Monica to Irvine using light rail to commuter rail to uber but it would take several hours and you'd definitely need a close hotel that night...and there aren't many.

If money isn't a concern, best place to stay is the Courtyard/Marriott at Irvine Spectrum. It's a really nice hotel and within a reasonable walk to the amphitheater. But it isn't cheap, like most anything in Irvine.

For a cheaper option about 3 miles up Irvine Center Dr. there's a La Quinta Inn.

If you're willing to drive a little further, there's a few hotels in the $100-$150 a night neighborhood at the 405 and Brookhurst in Fountain Valley (about 10 miles north). Hope that helps.

Edit: just checked out the Courtyard - prices aren't too bad at all! Seeing between $120-$150...
    Sweet, thank you! I'm planning on renting a car for convenience sake. Since my flights will be paid for, definitely OK with spending a little extra $$ for the car and potentially the hotel. I'll most likely be going solo, so not sure I'm hitting the tailgate scene, meaning walking distance isn't crucial.

Is it easy enough to find single reserves leading up to the show? I'm not familiar of the demand for the CA shows (used to SPAC/Hartford which is a pain in the ass).

Last edited by Timebomb07; 05-25-2016 at 03:24 PM.
    Old 05-27-2016, 10:53 AM   #101
    DMBBeav

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Edit: just checked out the Courtyard - prices aren't too bad at all! Seeing between $120-$150...
    Sweet, thank you! I'm planning on renting a car for convenience sake. Since my flights will be paid for, definitely OK with spending a little extra $$ for the car and potentially the hotel. I'll most likely be going solo, so not sure I'm hitting the tailgate scene, meaning walking distance isn't crucial.

Is it easy enough to find single reserves leading up to the show? I'm not familiar of the demand for the CA shows (used to SPAC/Hartford which is a pain in the ass).
    A good Irvine reserve ticket is, deceptively, one of the hardest tickets to get on the tour. Because you are only looking for a single you will not have as hard of a time but most would agree any pair of tickets in the ORCH or front LOGE is considered a major victory at Irvine.

Going by Stubhub prices, getting a good ticket at Irvine is comparable to a good ticket at SPAC. Hartford is actually cheaper (and, having been to both venues, the quality of seats in the pavilion at Hartford is much better than Irvine).

Compounding the issue is that Irvine is one of the worst venues the further back you are. When you look at the seating chart, treat Terrace seats like Lawn seats at most places. Also, it is on an aggressive hill, so the further you are back in the LOGE the more you are above the band.

Chula Vista, meanwhile, is just about the complete opposite. You will have little problem getting a good seat and even pit at Chula. Having said that, Chula is considerably empiter than Irvine (which will essentially be a sell out).

Last edited by DMBBeav; 05-27-2016 at 10:55 AM.
    DMBBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-28-2016, 10:30 PM   #102
    TwoStep01

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, since Irvine is now the only LA area show the good tix can be harder to come by. And I'll second that the hill up on the lawn in Irvine is a bitch. Especially if you like to knock back a few before the show.

For contrast, last year Irvine was a sellout. Last time they played Chula (2014), the lawn was half empty. My experience is that you'll run into fewer douchenozzle type fans and get a nicer venue at Chula, but you'll get a better setlist at Irvine.

Sweet that the Courtyard wasn't that much. Guess prices came down. Hope you enjoy your stay.
    Old 05-29-2016, 07:36 AM   #103
    Timebomb07

My Tour Central Stats

Awesome! Appreciate the insight guys. I won't be too picky, but good to know about the uppers. Hoping to make this happen.
    Old 07-11-2016, 07:17 AM   #104
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

Shows Seen: 68

My Tour Central Stats

Wanted to put it out there that I am still on the hunt for 2 tickets for this show. Responded to the post in the ticket exchange for the Loge 5, CC tickets. Would be over the moon to snag those, but until I hear back, still on the prowl.
    Old 07-11-2016, 04:24 PM   #105
    Timebomb07

My Tour Central Stats

I'll keep a look out for you. I'm just looking for a single, so if ya see one... lemme know!

I'm sure we'll get some drops leading up. Seems to be a decent year for LN/TM drops a week or so out from showtime. Even seeing SPAC pop up.
    Old 07-11-2016, 05:07 PM   #106
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Cool thanks, will keep an eye out for singles too. Chula just had a huge drop, lots of decent seats. Not expecting the same for Irvine, but tickets will pop up. They always do.
    Old 07-12-2016, 04:14 AM   #107
    Timebomb07

My Tour Central Stats

Any specific sections your looking for? Or ones to ignore altogether?
    Old 07-12-2016, 06:10 AM   #108
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Any specific sections your looking for? Or ones to ignore altogether?
    anything pit or orch will be fine. Loge is good as long as not too far outside. 5, 6, and 7 are good. 4 and 8 are fine, just not too far outside. I don't really bother with terrace or lawn as it is so far back. Thanks for keeping an eye out.

Are you looking for anything specific?
    Old 07-12-2016, 07:17 AM   #109
    Timebomb07

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    anything pit or orch will be fine. Loge is good as long as not too far outside. 5, 6, and 7 are good. 4 and 8 are fine, just not too far outside. I don't really bother with terrace or lawn as it is so far back. Thanks for keeping an eye out.

Are you looking for anything specific?
    Okay cool. I'm taking your suggestions to heart, so I'll echo the same need

Anything consider "good" will do. Doesn't need to be PIT or Orch, but that's preferred.
    Old 07-12-2016, 07:47 AM   #110
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Okay cool. I'm taking your suggestions to heart, so I'll echo the same need

Anything consider "good" will do. Doesn't need to be PIT or Orch, but that's preferred.
    Have you ever been to Irvine?
    Old 07-12-2016, 07:55 AM   #111
    Timebomb07

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Have you ever been to Irvine?
    No sir. First time doing a DMB show in Cali.
    Old 07-12-2016, 08:18 AM   #112
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

I posted these links in the SPAC thread and I think you saw them. Recall you posted something about the links and them being helpful. This gives a pretty good idea of sight lines for the venue and maybe there are some lurkers out there that can benefit from these as well. The key is to stay centered, and low, in the venue. The venue is pretty steep as you work up and fans out pretty far.

Here are some quick shots from the Googlez that show Irvine views to give people an idea of the venue and sight lines.

This is the front of the lawn, dead center... https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images.../lK9YPiAp.jpeg

This is from the lawn on the side... http://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bpho..._fDFk5gA/o.jpg

Loge (second section from the stage) on the outside... https://s3-media4.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...oMQZ68xQ/o.jpg

Terrace (third section from the stage) dead center... http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZdmmcarUGo...Large%2529.JPG

Terrace on the outside... http://s3-media3.fl.yelpcdn.com/bpho...cWx0lCxA/o.jpg

This is a cool pano from the top of the lawn... http://s3-media3.fl.yelpcdn.com/bpho...occxpvww/o.jpg
    Old 07-12-2016, 08:21 AM   #113
    Timebomb07

My Tour Central Stats

Yep, remember those. Definitely helpful for those visiting for the first time.
    Old 07-15-2016, 12:30 PM   #114
    MooreSaxPlease

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Looking for a pair of lowers. Got shafted on what was supposed to be a trade a few months ago. I've got a pair of Chula pit tickets to offer up. Let me know. Thanks.
    8.25.06- 8.28.06- 9.28.06- 8.20.08- 8.22.08- 5.8.09- 5.9.09- 9.9.09- 9.10.09- 9.12.09- 9.13.09, (D&T: 12.10.09, 12.11.09, 12.12.09), 8.20.10- 8.21.10- 8.23.10- 9.7.12- 9.8.12- 9.5.14- 9.12.15- 8.26.16- 8.27.16
    MooreSaxPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #115
    Timebomb07

My Tour Central Stats

Loge 7, row QQ single... thinking I'll pull the trigger on this one.
    Old 07-18-2016, 12:26 PM   #116
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Smart call. This ticket is going to be tough to come by. Praying I can hit Instants and score a good pair.
    Old 07-18-2016, 12:47 PM   #117
    Timebomb07

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Smart call. This ticket is going to be tough to come by. Praying I can hit Instants and score a good pair.
    I'm happy with it. Can always sell if another pops up.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for any Orch.

SPAC has me wondering if I should just call it quits haha. Has me wanting to do more shows, but also wanting to go out on a high note.
    Old 07-18-2016, 01:06 PM   #118
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

SPAC has me wondering if I should just call it quits haha. Has me wanting to do more shows, but also wanting to go out on a high note.
    So this. I just know that Chula/Irvine will not be the same. Not saying they won't be as good, just not the same. SPAC is unique for so many reasons for me and a lot of it is the pre-show stuff that is involved. I still get to go to the shows with my son, which is special unto itself, but the group I hang with, the tailgate, Ballsfest, being in town, just is not there with these shows.
    Old 07-18-2016, 01:06 PM   #119
    DMBBeav

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

If you went to SPAC and haven't been to a So-Cal show before...

...just know the crowds out here are considerably more relaxed. Irvine will be virtually sold out but the crowd in most of Loge and back will be sitting in pockets. Doesn't mean the band doesn't bring good shows - they really do - but it can be jarring to East Coasters who are used to Hartford/Camden/SPAC crowds.
    DMBBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2016, 01:13 PM   #120
    Timebomb07

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So this. I just know that Chula/Irvine will not be the same. Not saying they won't be as good, just not the same. SPAC is unique for so many reasons for me and a lot of it is the pre-show stuff that is involved. I still get to go to the shows with my son, which is special unto itself, but the group I hang with, the tailgate, Ballsfest, being in town, just is not there with these shows.
    Absolutely. SPAC is a special place and the weekend offers much more than just the show. I take advantage and get some camping in, great time pre and post show. 2015 and 2016 were amazing years.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBBeav View Post
    If you went to SPAC and haven't been to a So-Cal show before...

...just know the crowds out here are considerably more relaxed. Irvine will be virtually sold out but the crowd in most of Loge and back will be sitting in pockets. Doesn't mean the band doesn't bring good shows - they really do - but it can be jarring to East Coasters who are used to Hartford/Camden/SPAC crowds.
    That's me - haha. I feel I'm prepared for a more relaxed crowd. It did bug me that the immediate crowd at both SPAC shows sat the majority of the show... sitting 3rd row dead center balcony. More so because so many people didn't get inside who would have had a better time.

That said, I'm excited for a So-Cal show(s). It's where I plan to live within the next ~18-24 months, so I guess I should get a taste. Gorge 2018 will be happening if I'm out West.

Last edited by Timebomb07; 07-18-2016 at 01:14 PM.