DMBs Legacy - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 02-27-2019, 09:47 AM   #121
grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DMBs Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDMB View Post
DMB will have a more impactful legacy than Phish because they have a more diverse and appealing catalogue. There seems to be a lack of discussion about how great Tedeschi Trucks Band is and how they always play varied sets, or perhaps I didn't back read far enough
Derek Trucks is one of the most amazing musicians alive today...ever even.

TTB is a band I need to see again. Saw them on one of the first Warner Theater B2B...stellar. So sad that Kofi passed. The first time we saw Derek was the DTB opening for Eric Johnson at the Birchmere. Javier Colon was their lead singer and second keyboard player at the time. It was the Allmans meets Stevie Wonder meets jazz in India. I've got to track down some boots from this period of DTB... A few nights later we were at RFK for DMB.

The thing that TTB does that the Avetts don't is heavy improv. Seth does some nice stuff as does John and Tania (when she's there), but extended solos are not a big part of their shows. TTB also plays the same venues as the Avetts...so not the 15-20K+ sheds.

Gov't Mule is similar, but maybe even a smaller draw, although EVERYONE knows Warren is f'real!

Last edited by grilldanmo; 02-27-2019 at 09:48 AM.
grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-27-2019, 12:17 PM   #122
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

WTF was I thinking...Joe! I knew it was wrong when I typed it, but forgot to correct it. In the post above I was referring to the awesome Joe Kwon, celloist for the Avett Bros. Sincerest apologies Joe.
    Old 02-27-2019, 12:49 PM   #123
    excitingjae

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    They do have one #1 hit and a growing fan-base...
    I had to look it up. I have never heard the song before.
    Old 02-27-2019, 02:53 PM   #124
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The lack of Avetts love is bringing true sadness...

See what I did there?
    Nope. And I bet the number of people who also didn't is larger than you might suspect

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-27-2019, 04:25 PM   #125
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dodo36 View Post
    Nope. And I bet the number of people who also didn't is larger than you might suspect
    It's the title of their last and most popular album, reaching #3 on billboard and a song from said album that happens to kick butt.

S'all good.
    Old 02-27-2019, 04:28 PM   #126
    SeeMoreDMB

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Derek Trucks is one of the most amazing musicians alive today...ever even.

TTB is a band I need to see again. Saw them on one of the first Warner Theater B2B...stellar. So sad that Kofi passed. The first time we saw Derek was the DTB opening for Eric Johnson at the Birchmere. Javier Colon was their lead singer and second keyboard player at the time. It was the Allmans meets Stevie Wonder meets jazz in India. I've got to track down some boots from this period of DTB... A few nights later we were at RFK for DMB.

The thing that TTB does that the Avetts don't is heavy improv. Seth does some nice stuff as does John and Tania (when she's there), but extended solos are not a big part of their shows. TTB also plays the same venues as the Avetts...so not the 15-20K+ sheds.

Gov't Mule is similar, but maybe even a smaller draw, although EVERYONE knows Warren is f'real!
    TTB played SPAC and Hartford last summer if I remember correctly. They put on an amazing show, such top notch musicians with Susan's beautiful voice. Very sad about Kofii.
    SeeMoreDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-27-2019, 09:31 PM   #127
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I think someone said it in here previously, but for a short time I seriously thought Zac Brown Band was going to take the DMB route and tour relentlessly with varied sets night in and night out and really champion that hybrid of popular act who can jam out.
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2019, 03:27 AM   #128
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speilmen230 View Post
    I think someone said it in here previously, but for a short time I seriously thought Zac Brown Band was going to take the DMB route and tour relentlessly with varied sets night in and night out and really champion that hybrid of popular act who can jam out.
    I did too. Then they sold out HARD.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2019, 05:38 AM   #129
    excitingjae

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I gotta say...I've listened to two Avett Brothers songs based on the last few posts.

not my cup of tea at all.
    Old 02-28-2019, 05:55 AM   #130
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The lack of Avetts love is bringing true sadness...

See what I did there?

...... actually, no.

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2019, 06:23 AM   #131
    CrazyEasy354

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

DMB's legacy will exist solely in the hearts of the fans. Those who are "in-the-know". Anything outside of that, they are hardly given a thought, despite all that they've achieved. Aside from those who actively hate them. Which is a lot of people.
    Old 02-28-2019, 08:04 AM   #132
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

It's kind of like U2. They have a huge cult following, have toured extensively, and have some major achievements (high charting hits, and albums, etc). But still so many people hate on them. Or at least Bono. And Bono is also into the whole activist thing, similar to Dave.
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2019, 08:18 AM   #133
    ISawTheBridge10

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrazyEasy354 View Post
    DMB's legacy will exist solely in the hearts of the fans. Those who are "in-the-know". Anything outside of that, they are hardly given a thought, despite all that they've achieved. Aside from those who actively hate them. Which is a lot of people.
    Exactly. Only fans really care about legacy. And for the people I’ve met that hate Dave, it’s because they think all the fans are douchey frat boys or some dumb reason like “he dumped shit on people in Chicago.” I’ve met few that are critical about the actual music.
    ISawTheBridge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2019, 08:52 AM   #134
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by excitingjae View Post
    I gotta say...I've listened to two Avett Brothers songs based on the last few posts.

not my cup of tea at all.
    When you've heard two Avett Bros songs, you've heard two Avett Bros songs. They fall into the Americana genre, but really stand out for me. I feel a lot Neil Young, Nirvana, the Band, Tom Waits, and others, while not really sounding like these bands. I get that they, like any artist, aren't for everyone.

They go a lot of different places. I love these songs:

Head Full of Doubt,
    No Hard Feelings,
    Laundry Room,
    The Ballad of Love and Hate (especially from Live, Vol. 3),
    I Would Be Sad,
    Vanity,
    Colorshow,
    I Wish I Was,
    Willie Got There First,
    Morning Song,
    Kick Drum Heart,
    The Weight of Lies,
    Satan Pulls the Strings,
    Ten Thousand Words...

I could just go on and on listing great songs from them. I just put on/pull up an album and listen all the way through and then let the next album start.

They're one of the those bands that speaks right to me. The acoustic instrumentation. Vocal harmonies. Raw emotion. And their performances...just spectacular. They give everything...it's all full-assed. They're my favorite band at the moment. Seth is a killer guitarist. Scott and Seth are excellent singers (albeit with a unique timbre that may not appeal to everyone) and songwriters. Rob plays a mean upright and does great harmony vocals. Joe makes the cello fit so well that it's hard to imagine them without him. They write a lot on piano, especially Scott.

May It Last is a documentary that Judd Apatow produced and co-directed. It's the making of their last album True Sadness and it's great. An open look at them, their lives, the writing and recording process, how they are managing all of these things...just a wonderful film. It's probably the only documentary I've watched more than once and that I will watch again.
    Old 02-28-2019, 09:00 AM   #135
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ISawTheBridge10 View Post
    Exactly. Only fans really care about legacy. And for the people I’ve met that hate Dave, it’s because they think all the fans are douchey frat boys or some dumb reason like “he dumped shit on people in Chicago.” I’ve met few that are critical about the actual music.
    most people don't get to this point, or are afraid to because of the image applied to DMB

I used to "hate" DMB before I listened because that's just kind of the default.
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2019, 09:07 AM   #136
    CrazyEasy354

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    It's kind of like U2. They have a huge cult following, have toured extensively, and have some major achievements (high charting hits, and albums, etc). But still so many people hate on them. Or at least Bono. And Bono is also into the whole activist thing, similar to Dave.
    U2 has put out some stone cold CLASSIC records. They have put out some clunkers too, but I think they are criminally underrated this day and age. They are hugely influential and no one talks about it.

Someone on reddit the other day mentioned that U2 will finally get it's fair due when one of them passes away. As far as how people view them currently. Which is sad. They are frequently used as the butt of someone's lame joke these days.
    Old 02-28-2019, 09:14 AM   #137
    CrazyEasy354

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    most people don't get to this point, or are afraid to because of the image applied to DMB

I used to "hate" DMB before I listened because that's just kind of the default.
    It's interesting how that is kind of a default for a lot of people, isn't it? Because it really is. I was the same way with John Mayer until I heard him cover Free Fallin' and the rest is history.
    Old 02-28-2019, 09:28 AM   #138
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
    I did too. Then they sold out HARD.
    When they released Uncaged in 2012 and followed it up with the Dave Ghrol sessions, I was so excited for what the future held for them. Those were two releases where I felt like they took a huge step towards shedding the "country" label and just becoming a good band without boarders.

It seems as if that was their Apex moment and they have been trying to get back to that ever since.

Its really a shame too, because they bring it so hard live.
    Old 02-28-2019, 09:36 AM   #139
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speilmen230 View Post
    When they released Uncaged in 2012 and followed it up with the Dave Ghrol sessions, I was so excited for what the future held for them. Those were two releases where I felt like they took a huge step towards shedding the "country" label and just becoming a good band without boarders.

It seems as if that was their Apex moment and they have been trying to get back to that ever since.

Its really a shame too, because they bring it so hard live.
    I agree with most of this, but to the bold, I guess I don't feel like they've been trying to get back to that very hard. They don't mix up their sets like they did early on, and are trying to make dance-tinged hits.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2019, 09:52 AM   #140
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

My Tour Central Stats

Is that his other band that does that? I haven't followed them for a few years.
    Old 03-05-2019, 10:05 AM   #141
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The Avetts are playing multiple nights at smaller sheds and larger theaters. They could probably do one night at Jiffy Lube Live in Bristow (and other similar venues), but that they’re playing three nights at Wolf Trap is awesome. They do have one #1 hit and a growing fan-base...
    They should be bigger than they are, for sure. Probably my favorite band right now.

As for DMB's legacy, it appears to be waning with every year that passes. Like a lot of older acts, they're riding on past successes.
    Old 03-05-2019, 10:09 AM   #142
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    When you've heard two Avett Bros songs, you've heard two Avett Bros songs. They fall into the Americana genre, but really stand out for me. I feel a lot Neil Young, Nirvana, the Band, Tom Waits, and others, while not really sounding like these bands. I get that they, like any artist, aren't for everyone.

They go a lot of different places. I love these songs:

Head Full of Doubt,
    No Hard Feelings,
    Laundry Room,
    The Ballad of Love and Hate (especially from Live, Vol. 3),
    I Would Be Sad,
    Vanity,
    Colorshow,
    I Wish I Was,
    Willie Got There First,
    Morning Song,
    Kick Drum Heart,
    The Weight of Lies,
    Satan Pulls the Strings,
    Ten Thousand Words...

I could just go on and on listing great songs from them. I just put on/pull up an album and listen all the way through and then let the next album start.

They're one of the those bands that speaks right to me. The acoustic instrumentation. Vocal harmonies. Raw emotion. And their performances...just spectacular. They give everything...it's all full-assed. They're my favorite band at the moment. Seth is a killer guitarist. Scott and Seth are excellent singers (albeit with a unique timbre that may not appeal to everyone) and songwriters. Rob plays a mean upright and does great harmony vocals. Joe makes the cello fit so well that it's hard to imagine them without him. They write a lot on piano, especially Scott.

May It Last is a documentary that Judd Apatow produced and co-directed. It's the making of their last album True Sadness and it's great. An open look at them, their lives, the writing and recording process, how they are managing all of these things...just a wonderful film. It's probably the only documentary I've watched more than once and that I will watch again.
    It's one thing to like a band's music, but when you can get into what they're all about, it becomes something more. That's the case with the Avetts. I remember Dave talking about how DMB's music has to be 'honest' and that was something Leroi told him. That means different things to different people and I'm not sure I ever knew what Dave and Leroi meant by that, relative to DMB... but to me.. the Avett Brothers is some of the most honest music I've ever experienced. So I'm all in on them, for sure. But I agree with everything you've laid out there.

Last edited by Heyberto; 03-05-2019 at 10:10 AM.
    Heyberto is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-05-2019, 10:48 AM   #143
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Heyberto View Post
    It's one thing to like a band's music, but when you can get into what they're all about, it becomes something more. That's the case with the Avetts. I remember Dave talking about how DMB's music has to be 'honest' and that was something Leroi told him. That means different things to different people and I'm not sure I ever knew what Dave and Leroi meant by that, relative to DMB... but to me.. the Avett Brothers is some of the most honest music I've ever experienced. So I'm all in on them, for sure. But I agree with everything you've laid out there.
    Yeah, they seem like real people. Writing, creating, performing is what they do. It's hard work, but they don't take it for granted and seem to spend little time wasting their work on anything that isn't "real".

They remind me of DMB in another important way. They record these wonderful tunes and make great albums, but live takes it all to another level. If you (the general you) "like" them, but haven't seen them live...

Seeing them live will make you love them, as it has with so many folks here for DMB. And if a big part of your legacy is your actual ability to passionately perform your music and have it resonate with thousands or tens of thousands of people every time you get on stage...then DMB and Avetts have the best kind of legacy. The legacy may end when they end (although I doubt it due to the quality of their tunes), but it jibes with how much the music was at its best in the moments it was being performed. People will always be able to listen to the music, but we won't always be able to see them.
    Old 03-05-2019, 10:54 AM   #144
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, they seem like real people. Writing, creating, performing is what they do. It's hard work, but they don't take it for granted and seem to spend little time wasting their work on anything that isn't "real".

They remind me of DMB in another important way. They record these wonderful tunes and make great albums, but live takes it all to another level. If you (the general you) "like" them, but haven't seen them live...

Seeing them live will make you love them, as it has with so many folks here for DMB. And if a big part of your legacy is your actual ability to passionately perform your music and have it resonate with thousands or tens of thousands of people every time you get on stage...then DMB and Avetts have the best kind of legacy. The legacy may end when they end (although I doubt it due to the quality of their tunes), but it jibes with how much the music was at its best in the moments it was being performed. People will always be able to listen to the music, but we won't always be able to see them.
    Agreed on the Avetts. They're just fantastic. There is no part of what they do where they don't give 110% and it's evident.

I've been seeing DMB since the early 90's. it's hard to not like and enjoy their show. As much as I thought DMB 2018 was a pale imitation of their former selves, it's still a good concert experience. I just don't think they're moving forward. It's great they're reenergized by getting rid of Boyd and getting a keyboard player, but I don't think it has really improved the live show. I have less interest in seeing them live than I ever have before. As for the studio, I don't think they're really moving forward there either.
    Old 03-08-2019, 07:51 AM   #145
    DancingAngie

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

This is a DMB fan site, correct? DMB’s legacy will be extensive as they are the best band on the planet and have been for decades! Their music is a gift to the world! I hope they continue making music and touring because their music is truly magical! Their legacy IS their music and the magic that is DMB! They give back so much to their fans and communities who support them!
    DancingAngie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-08-2019, 07:55 AM   #146
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DancingAngie View Post
    This is a DMB fan site, correct? DMB’s legacy will be extensive as they are the best band on the planet and have been for decades! Their music is a gift to the world! I hope they continue making music and touring because their music is truly magical! Their legacy IS their music and the magic that is DMB! They give back so much to their fans and communities who support them!

CrashintoNick alter?
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-08-2019, 07:59 AM   #147
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

That’s way more dontdrink36 than me.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-08-2019, 08:07 AM   #148
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    C'mon now. You know I'm not like that.
    Old 03-08-2019, 08:16 AM   #149
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post

I was reading it as sarcasm
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #150
    Unedited

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Heyberto View Post
    Agreed on the Avetts. They're just fantastic. There is no part of what they do where they don't give 110% and it's evident.

I've been seeing DMB since the early 90's. it's hard to not like and enjoy their show. As much as I thought DMB 2018 was a pale imitation of their former selves, it's still a good concert experience. I just don't think they're moving forward. It's great they're reenergized by getting rid of Boyd and getting a keyboard player, but I don't think it has really improved the live show. I have less interest in seeing them live than I ever have before. As for the studio, I don't think they're really moving forward there either.
    Avetts have been my other favorite band for more than a decade. If you enjoy energetic live shows (I hope we all do as DMB fans) they're worth the price of admission.

They pour their soul into their music. I was sort of a fan... and then I saw a concert. Sealed the deal.