Student Debt. Wat Chu Got? - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
Alazais
Troy For Mayor

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Student Debt. Wat Chu Got?

How much did you rack up in student loans by the time you were done school?
- If you haven't completed school, how much do you expect to owe by the time you've graduated?

What kind of job do you have now?
-Is it what you thought it would be when you graduated?

What age are you now?

What age do you expect to have your student loan paid back?

I'm sorry if some of these are to personal. It's something that's been eating away at me for sometime.
I'm hoping that with some perspective of those that have travelled the road I can make my journey a little less painful.

Thanks to those who participate. I really appreciate it.

Last edited by Alazais; 01-15-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Alazais is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-15-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Student Debt. Wat Chu Got?

Ok, serious serious question. When you take out FAFSA student loans, you take one out each year. Split evenly between both semesters. These loans have their own account numbers. NOW:

Is it possible to pay off a particular FAFSA loan from a specific year? In my case, my last two years of college.

Why I ask:

I'm 24. My first two years, the FAFSA loans are on a variable rate. With rates so low, they are kick ass. How about 2.23%? Not bad. I'll take it. I'll let these loans stick around on my books no problem. However, FAFSA got smart and my last two years, they are fixed rate at 6.50%. Fixed rate would normally be fine right there, but considering how great a spot I'm in the first two years, what I want to do is payoff with my tax refund this year....my senior year loan. I've got $20k total in student loans, round about.

When you set up your student loan payments, each payment is spread evenly across all 4 loans. If I went online to do "prepay" and payoff a big chunk of money, again, the only option is the default option, which will spread the money evenly across all 4 loans. This is how the system works by default.

What I want to know is, can I voluntarily call them or something, and payoff just my junior and senior year loans? And keep my Fresh/Soph loans that are at 2.2% chilling out there?

PLEASE HELP, because Jesus H. Christ, the numerous government student loans sites faq's etc do not help worth a damn.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
    tankdan

Shows Seen: 43

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Since I am a sick bastard and take great pleasure in crunching these numbers, I will oblige:

When I graduated in 2007, I had: $72,670

I currently have: $52,500

I will finish paying them off in 4 more years, in February 2014.
    Which will put me at 29 years old.

Woot!

I started out by paying the minimum, then I've gradually bumped up my payments until now I pay $1200 a month.

Across five loans, I have interest rates of:
    3.89%
    4.50%
    4.75%
    4.75%
    6.80%

Also, I am a dog walker... maybe not the job I thought I'd have when I started college (woulda picked a cheaper college!), but by the time I graduated, I was working part time dog-walking and switched to full-time.

Dan
    tankdan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

i'm currently in college (1 more year to go). is there a website i can go to to check exactly what i have to pay? my school is only about $10,500 a year, and i know some of that is cut down from grants, but i don't know how much exactly.
    Old 01-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
    i'm currently in college (1 more year to go). is there a website i can go to to check exactly what i have to pay?
    Yes....ummm...I always forget it though. Dl.edu or something......

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 01-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post

google ftw!

dl.ed.gov

right now it says i have $14,000 for a principle balance after 4 years. the last 2 years it shows $1,000 for each semester. so if that keeps up, i should only have about $15,000 when i'm done next fall. says i have a fixed payment of $164.53. i would be able to pay more than that though to get it paid off quicker, right? either way, not bad. i could live with 15k. rates are around 6.4% though

Last edited by spoot388; 01-15-2010 at 08:28 PM.
    spoot388 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-15-2010, 08:43 PM   #7
    DavefaninNZ

My Tour Central Stats

I really don't want to say. Really don't want to think about it till after i finish.
    Old 01-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #8
    PilotC150
    Alpine Bound

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Zero. Inheritance from Grandma paid for everything. It's excellent.
    "People ask us all the time...."What's your favorite place to play?" Now, you got your Gorges and you got your Red Rocks and so on, but there's an inexplicable magic that envelopes Alpine Valley. The band is the first to tell you how much they like coming back."
    PilotC150 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #9
    jkrue22
    What it means

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Nada... thanks Air Force!
    2012 Ants Fantasy Baseball H2H Keeper League and League #4 Champion
    jkrue22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #10
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PilotC150 View Post
    Zero. Inheritance from Grandma paid for everything. It's excellent.
    Fuck you and.....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkrue22 View Post
    Nada... thanks Air Force!
    Fuck you.

K all done here.

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 01-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
    jkrue22
    What it means

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Fuck you and.....

Fuck you.

K all done here.
    I owe the military basically my entire young adult life (13 years when it's all said done, several of which could be in some godforsaken corner of the world) and I missed out on a "normal" college experience... but I got a kickass education for free and at least it's a guaranteed job!

It's all about the choices you make...
    2012 Ants Fantasy Baseball H2H Keeper League and League #4 Champion
    jkrue22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #12
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkrue22 View Post
    I owe the military basically my entire young adult life (13 years when it's all said done, several of which could be in some godforsaken corner of the world) and I missed out on a "normal" college experience... but I got a kickass education for free and at least it's a guaranteed job!

It's all about the choices you make...

aGreed.

Bad choices.

Fuck bitches, get money = college. Don't let anyone convice you diffrent.

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 01-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #13
    jordanbball17
    Black lives matter

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I'm 18 right now, start college at Seattle University in the fall.

Cost: around $39,000 per year...
    Scholarship: $16,000 each of the 4 years.
    Which equals around $22,000-$23,000 left, which my parents can pay in full.

Expected student debt after graduating from a private university: $0.
    Old 01-15-2010, 09:47 PM   #14
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Ok, serious serious question. When you take out FAFSA student loans, you take one out each year. Split evenly between both semesters. These loans have their own account numbers. NOW:

Is it possible to pay off a particular FAFSA loan from a specific year? In my case, my last two years of college.

Why I ask:

I'm 24. My first two years, the FAFSA loans are on a variable rate. With rates so low, they are kick ass. How about 2.23%? Not bad. I'll take it. I'll let these loans stick around on my books no problem. However, FAFSA got smart and my last two years, they are fixed rate at 6.50%. Fixed rate would normally be fine right there, but considering how great a spot I'm in the first two years, what I want to do is payoff with my tax refund this year....my senior year loan. I've got $20k total in student loans, round about.

When you set up your student loan payments, each payment is spread evenly across all 4 loans. If I went online to do "prepay" and payoff a big chunk of money, again, the only option is the default option, which will spread the money evenly across all 4 loans. This is how the system works by default.

What I want to know is, can I voluntarily call them or something, and payoff just my junior and senior year loans? And keep my Fresh/Soph loans that are at 2.2% chilling out there?

PLEASE HELP, because Jesus H. Christ, the numerous government student loans sites faq's etc do not help worth a damn.

Is this possible?

I mean really, isn't anyone actually paying their student loans off? Does anyone even pay attention to their interest rates? I mean, I know I work in loans, but Jesus Christ, it's like no one even gives a shit how much they're getting f'd or not and just willingly plays it all evenly across all their loans....with no consideration to the different rates between different years...

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 01-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #15
    haybale97
    king of men

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

my guess is around 20,000. i got a full scholarship which paid for tuition, then i had to pick up room n board after that, which i could pay all but 2,000 a year. but my last semester, which will be my 9th with not be paid for but i can get other scholarships to help with that so i'm assuming i'll have to take out 10,000 for the remainder of that semester. could actually be less now that i think about it.

but this is just undergrad, i don't want to think about how i'm going to pay for grad school

Out With Gout
    haybale97 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-15-2010, 10:01 PM   #16
    boston~c

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Is this possible?

I mean really, isn't anyone actually paying their student loans off? Does anyone even pay attention to their interest rates? I mean, I know I work in loans, but Jesus Christ, it's like no one even gives a shit how much they're getting f'd or not and just willingly plays it all evenly across all their loans....with no consideration to the different rates between different years...

If you are talking about Federal Stafford Loans, you can call them and ask. 1-800-848-0979.

I paid off my loans a few years ago but I still had the number. Go figure. I remember them being easy to work with as well.

I can probably find the website to send them an email if you want it...
    boston~c is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2010, 07:27 AM   #17
    2step8
    Angela

My Tour Central Stats

I'm a photographer at a newspaper and I have my own freelance business. Nearly all profits from my freelance work goes directly to my loans. And yes, it's what I thought I would be doing as I went to school for photojournalism.

I'm 24

I hope to pay it off within 5 years. I graduated in 2008.
    2step8 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2010, 07:29 AM   #18
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

i just graduated..i have a general idea of how much i owe but im afraid to look ha
    Old 01-16-2010, 07:33 AM   #19
    gocubsgo3822
    American #1

Shows Seen: 152

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

None.
    gocubsgo3822 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2010, 07:56 AM   #20
    GrooGrux420
    In Austin we trust.

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

If I can maintain my GPA, Ill have to pay practically nothing. I think somewhere in the ballpark of $10,000 after 4 years ($32,000 a semester). Thankfully those are just subitized loans, and were really only taken out to to hit up more shows...
    GrooGrux420 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2010, 07:57 AM   #21
    nieds05
    Go Big Red!

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Why I ask:

I work for a large student loan company that only services Federal Student loans and what you have to do to pay off the higher interest rates with us is call and i believe talk to them about it, and there is a special payments process where you have to send in your money and specifically state which loans you want it to go to.
    Old 01-16-2010, 08:01 AM   #22
    JRod1229
    GATA!

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Graduated with about 10k in loans (HOPE scholarship FTW).. probably got around 7k left.. don't do anything but the minimum however (2.5%) so never feel the need.

Looking into going to get my MBA though, and that would add probably 20k on top of that unless I was able to get an assistantship. So we'll see.

Quote:
    There ain't nothing like being a bulldog on a Saturday Night... after winning a football game. I mean like whipping Tennessee's ass to start with, then ten more, then another one. This is the Game Plan. We have no alternative plan.
    - The legendary Erk Russell
    JRod1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #23
    SeanMH
    GoWokeGoBroke

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

I just graduated in December and I have zero debt from school, b/c my parents had set me up for the Florida Pre-Paid plan.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Klize17 View Post
    Last nights was the best version of Satellite I have ever heard.
    SeanMH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2010, 08:28 AM   #24
    rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I just finished paying mine off!!
    rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #25
    Alazais
    Troy For Mayor

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rconverse View Post
    I just finished paying mine off!!
    congrats. Do you mind answering my questions? It would really help.

Edit: Diddle that FREE hooker already!
    Old 01-16-2010, 08:45 AM   #26
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alazais View Post
    congrats. Do you mind answering my questions? It would really help.

Edit: Diddle that FREE hooker already!
    Sure. I think I racked up like 30k in loans. I paid it over the full ten years, hence just making the final payment at 33. My starting salary was well below that of average college grads at te time. I started at 24,500/year, whereas most recent grads started at 33-36k. It took me about 18 months to catch-up to what others my age were making. Nowadays I make pretty decent money, but am just starting to realize what my income could be if I really applied myself. I am trying to get into Kellogg, so if/when that happens I'll be right back in debt again, but hopefully worth it.
    Old 01-16-2010, 08:47 AM   #27
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

None. Parents are paying for it.

as long as i can get off Double-Secret Academic Probation.
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2010, 08:48 AM   #28
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Oh, and I'm a business analyst. I don't think I had any idea what I wanted to do when I graduated.
    Old 01-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #29
    nieds05
    Go Big Red!

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
    i'm currently in college (1 more year to go). is there a website i can go to to check exactly what i have to pay? my school is only about $10,500 a year, and i know some of that is cut down from grants, but i don't know how much exactly.
    You can check nslds.ed.gov it will give a summary of all the Federal Loans you have taken out and who is servicing them

Quote:
    you are thinking of dl.ed.gov, It will probably link you to nslds, not all federal student loans are held by Direct Loans, the way things are going now most newer ones are, but like I said NSLDS will give you information on all federal loans you have taken out regardless if it was in the FFELP program or Direct Lending program
    Old 01-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #30
    Alazais
    Troy For Mayor

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rconverse View Post
    Oh, and I'm a business analyst. I don't think I had any idea what I wanted to do when I graduated.

What did you graduate with, Brosef Stalin?