*Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling) - Page 3265 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-27-2018, 10:33 AM   #97921
kydmb99
Jorts

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

Holy shit..

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/stat...910888449?s=20
kydmb99 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-27-2018, 10:35 AM   #97922
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by davephan21 View Post
    Flags at half staff for 2 days is standard when a senator dies.
    President bare minimum really showing respect. And it's almost like we have evidence of when he had the flag lowered for longer periods of time.

"During former President Barack Obama's time in office, four sitting senators died while he was in office: Democratic Sen. Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts in 2009, Democratic Sen. Robert Byrd of West Virginia in 2010, Democratic Sen. Daniel Inouye of Hawaii in 2012 and Democratic Sen. Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey in 2013.

Obama signed proclamations for Kennedy, Byrd and Inouye, and those proclamations lowered flags to half staff until the days they were buried. The Obama White House archives don't include a proclamation for Lautenberg, though per his obituary by the Associated Press, the flag did fly at half-staff at the White House for an unspecified amount of time.

Additionally, when Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia died in 2016 – the first time a justice died in office in more than 50 years – Obama signed a proclamation on the day of his death, ordering flags lowered until his burial.

Trump has spurred debate over his decisions on when and when not to lower the flag, especially in the wake of mass shootings. He has issued proclamations over massacres in Las Vegas and Parkland, Florida. After the newsroom shooting at the Capital Gazette in Annapolis, Maryland, he drew criticism for not initially bringing the flags to half staff. He ultimately lowered them five days after the shooting.

But he has also lowered the flag for other public figures. Notably, when former first lady Barbara Bush died, Trump issued a proclamation in her honor – keeping the flags at half staff until the day she was buried."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ff/1108717002/
    cazzie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-27-2018, 10:41 AM   #97923
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kydmb99 View Post
    It's why even someone who disagrees with McCain's politics (which I did, despite at what time giving money to him), has so much respect for him.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-27-2018, 10:42 AM   #97924
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by davephan21 View Post
    Flags at half staff for 2 days is standard when a senator dies.
    It's generally been until burial.

Quote:
    Yeah, it's no joke. And the idea that Trump would call him "not a war hero" and that he likes the ones who "weren't captured" shows how little respect the current Commander In Chief has for the forces he oversees.

From the article:

Quote:
    In October of ’67 McCain was himself still a Young Voter and flying his 23rd Vietnam combat mission and his A-4 Skyhawk plane got shot down over Hanoi and he had to eject, which basically means setting off an explosive charge that blows your seat out of the plane, which ejection broke both McCain’s arms and one leg and gave him a concussion and he started falling out of the skies right over Hanoi. Try to imagine for a second how much this would hurt and how scared you’d be, three limbs broken and falling toward the enemy capital you just tried to bomb. His chute opened late and he landed hard in a little lake in a park right in the middle of downtown Hanoi, Imagine treading water with broken arms and trying to pull the life vest’s toggle with your teeth as a crowd of Vietnamese men swim out toward you (there’s film of this, somebody had a home – movie camera, and the N.V. government released it, though it’s grainy and McCain’s face is hard to see).

The crowd pulled him out and then just about killed him. U.S. bomber pilots were especially hated, for obvious reasons. McCain got bayoneted in the groin; a soldier broke his shoulder apart with a rifle butt. Plus by this time his right knee was bent 90-degrees to the side with the bone sticking out. Try to imagine this. He finally got tossed on a jeep and taken five blocks to the infamous Hoa Lo prison – a.k.a. the “Hanoi Hilton,” of much movie fame – where they made him beg a week for a doctor and finally set a couple of the fractures without anesthetic and let two other fractures and the groin wound (imagine: groin wound) stay like they were. Then they threw him in a cell. Try for a moment to feel this. All the media profiles talk about how McCain still can’t lift his arms over his head to comb his hair, which is true.

But try to imagine it at the time, yourself in his place, because it’s important. Think about how diametrically opposed to your own self-interest getting knifed in the balls and having fractures set without painkiller would be, and then about getting thrown in a cell to just lie there and hurt, which is what happened. He was delirious with pain for weeks, and his weight dropped to 100 pounds, and the other POWs were sure he would die; and then after a few months like that after his bones mostly knitted and he could sort of stand up they brought him in to the prison commandant’s office and offered to let him go. This is true. They said he could just leave. They had found out that McCain’s father was one of the top-ranking naval officers in the U.S. Armed Forces (which is true – both his father and grandfather were admirals), and the North Vietnamese wanted the PR coup of mercifully releasing his son, the baby-killer. McCain, 100 pounds and barely able to stand, refused, The U.S. military’s Code of Conduct for Prisoners of War apparently said that POWs had to be released in the order they were captured, and there were others who’d been in Hoa Lo a long time, and McCain refused to violate the Code. The commandant, not pleased, right there in the office had guards break his ribs, rebreak his arm, knock his teeth out. McCain still refused to leave without the other POWs. And so then he spent four more years in Hoa Lo like this, much of the time in solitary, in the dark, in a closet-sized box called a “punishment cell.”

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-27-2018, 10:44 AM   #97925
    kydmb99
    Jorts

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    It's why even someone who disagrees with McCain's politics (which I did, despite at what time giving money to him), has so much respect for him.
    McCain was the first presidential candidate I ever voted for. I actually considered voting for Obama but I think it was almost out of respect even though I knew he had no chance to win.
    Old 08-27-2018, 10:46 AM   #97926
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I voted McCain. Really wish he had a different running mate.
    cazzie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-27-2018, 10:55 AM   #97927
    mandy18

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cazzie34 View Post
    Ditto!

I remember hearing the name and thinking 'yay! a woman!!'
    Then I listened to her first speech (when he introduced her) and my heart sank.
    mandy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-27-2018, 10:57 AM   #97928
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mandy18 View Post
    Ditto!

I remember hearing the name and thinking 'yay! a woman!!'
    Then I listened to her first speech (when he introduced her) and my heart sank.
    I actually thought she nailed that first speech if memory serves me well. It was just everything afterwards that was terrible.
    MDPrompter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-27-2018, 11:07 AM   #97929
    kydmb99
    Jorts

My Tour Central Stats

I think he was trying to make a splash because he was fighting such an uphill battle but it obviously didn't work. I think they wanted kind of an outsider who was a woman that could relate to middle class moms out there and she just flopped miserably.
    Old 08-27-2018, 11:07 AM   #97930
    mandy18

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdmarvich View Post
    I actually thought she nailed that first speech if memory serves me well. It was just everything afterwards that was terrible.
    It was actually just the sound of her voice.
    I can't even remember what she said, to be honest.
    mandy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-27-2018, 11:13 AM   #97931
    kydmb99
    Jorts

My Tour Central Stats

Hmm...

https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/...05126829662208
    Old 08-27-2018, 11:14 AM   #97932
    jcc522
    Take Warning

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Picking Sarah Palin confirmed he was a fucking idiot.
    Old 08-27-2018, 11:17 AM   #97933
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    sounds a lot like his feud with the NFL that he still holds a grudge with today.
    Old 08-27-2018, 11:18 AM   #97934
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mandy18 View Post
    It was actually just the sound of her voice.
    I can't even remember what she said, to be honest.
    You Betcha!
    Old 08-27-2018, 11:23 AM   #97935
    zajDmB1

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Something about pigs.
    zajDmB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-27-2018, 11:26 AM   #97936
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

McCain's farewell statement: http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4...well-statement

Quote:
    My fellow Americans, whom I have gratefully served for sixty years, and especially my fellow Arizonans,

Thank you for the privilege of serving you and for the rewarding life that service in uniform and in public office has allowed me to lead. I have tried to serve our country honorably. I have made mistakes, but I hope my love for America will be weighed favorably against them.

I have often observed that I am the luckiest person on earth. I feel that way even now as I prepare for the end of my life. I have loved my life, all of it. I have had experiences, adventures and friendships enough for ten satisfying lives, and I am so thankful. Like most people, I have regrets. But I would not trade a day of my life, in good or bad times, for the best day of anyone else’s.

I owe that satisfaction to the love of my family. No man ever had a more loving wife or children he was prouder of than I am of mine. And I owe it to America. To be connected to America’s causes – liberty, equal justice, respect for the dignity of all people – brings happiness more sublime than life’s fleeting pleasures. Our identities and sense of worth are not circumscribed but enlarged by serving good causes bigger than ourselves.

‘Fellow Americans’ – that association has meant more to me than any other. I lived and died a proud American. We are citizens of the world’s greatest republic, a nation of ideals, not blood and soil. We are blessed and are a blessing to humanity when we uphold and advance those ideals at home and in the world. We have helped liberate more people from tyranny and poverty than ever before in history. We have acquired great wealth and power in the process.

We weaken our greatness when we confuse our patriotism with tribal rivalries that have sown resentment and hatred and violence in all the corners of the globe. We weaken it when we hide behind walls, rather than tear them down, when we doubt the power of our ideals, rather than trust them to be the great force for change they have always been.

We are three-hundred-and-twenty-five million opinionated, vociferous individuals. We argue and compete and sometimes even vilify each other in our raucous public debates. But we have always had so much more in common with each other than in disagreement. If only we remember that and give each other the benefit of the presumption that we all love our country we will get through these challenging times. We will come through them stronger than before. We always do.

Ten years ago, I had the privilege to concede defeat in the election for president. I want to end my farewell to you with the heartfelt faith in Americans that I felt so powerfully that evening. I feel it powerfully still.

Do not despair of our present difficulties but believe always in the promise and greatness of America, because nothing is inevitable here. Americans never quit. We never surrender. We never hide from history. We make history.

Farewell, fellow Americans. God bless you, and God bless America.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:37 AM   #97937
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcc522 View Post
    Picking Sarah Palin confirmed he was a fucking idiot.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cazzie34 View Post
    My understanding from something I read the other day was that his pick of Lieberman got leaked and he was basically forced into picking Palin by the establishment. Not sure if true.
    Old 08-27-2018, 11:38 AM   #97938
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    I'm sad that he died at a time when he felt forced to use his last words to reflect on the divisive partisanship that is occupying our government currently, but I'm relieved that someone with his ability to reflect on the situation was able to speak out about it in such a meaningful way.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-27-2018, 11:39 AM   #97939
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    thanks for posting
    Old 08-27-2018, 11:41 AM   #97940
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It’s a small blessing that given his personal end of life situation he was able to contemplate and send messages like this to people and all Americans.

This town is nuts, my kind of place. I don't never ever want to leave....
    Climb2safety is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-27-2018, 11:42 AM   #97941
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    I'm sad that he died at a time when he felt forced to use his last words to reflect on the divisive partisanship that is occupying our government currently, but I'm relieved that someone with his ability to reflect on the situation was able to speak out about it in such a meaningful way.
    Yeah, there's definitely some shots taken in that statement. Particularly the line about "blood and soil". And the "We weaken our greatness when we confuse our patriotism with tribal rivalries" was a pretty clear shot, too

Old 08-27-2018, 11:45 AM   #97942
    TMoore4075
    RIP LeRoi: 1961-2008

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    My understanding from something I read the other day was that his pick of Lieberman got leaked and he was basically forced into picking Palin by the establishment. Not sure if true.
    I don't remember a leak or not but he wanted him for sure but was talked into a big splash because his staff said they needed it. They vetted her over a weekend though so that pretty much sums that up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    I am so jealous of the coyotes right now.
    TMoore4075 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-27-2018, 11:48 AM   #97943
    Bostonsux013
    VICTORY!

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

It's such a shame to think that there are so many Americans out there who talk a big game about how great Americans are, how brave our soldiers are, and how men like John McCain are everything we strive to be as Americans, yet would be so quick to discredit everything a man like McCain has done in his time here on Earth all because he stood up to Donald Trump, stood up in his party to call out what he believed to be injustices in our political system. Shame on anyone who follows the President's lead in showing a complete lack of respect for John McCain.
    Bostonsux013 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-27-2018, 11:55 AM   #97944
    zajDmB1

My Tour Central Stats

If any remotely liberal rich NYC elite who dodged the draft with 'bone spurs' made that comment about a POW the right would have called for their head.

I've said it before, will say it til I'm blue in the face, that was the moment the right officially went past the point of no return.
    Old 08-27-2018, 12:07 PM   #97945
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

J. Karl trolling the fuck out of Trump over McCain is fucking priceless
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-27-2018, 12:20 PM   #97946
    NextMovement41
    BBQ BEER FREEDOM

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zajDmB1 View Post
    If any remotely liberal rich NYC elite who dodged the draft with 'bone spurs' made that comment about a POW the right would have called for their head.

I've said it before, will say it til I'm blue in the face, that was the moment the right officially went past the point of no return.
    Hit the nail on the head. Utterly amazing he gets a free pass from the right on this, among other things. If Obama had said that during the 2008 campaign...
    Old 08-27-2018, 12:24 PM   #97947
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NextMovement41 View Post
    Hit the nail on the head. Utterly amazing he gets a free pass from the right on this, among other things. If Obama had said that during the 2008 campaign...

Doesn’t his base think McCain was a traitor and made up a bunch of stuff that happened to him?
    Old 08-27-2018, 12:29 PM   #97948
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Could have seen this coming the way the GOP treated John Kerry in 2004. The base doesn't give a shit about service to the country. It's all contrived.
    Old 08-27-2018, 12:46 PM   #97949
    zajDmB1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    Could have seen this coming the way the GOP treated John Kerry in 2004. The base doesn't give a shit about service to the country. It's all contrived.
    Wasn't there some sort of conspiracy about Kerry's story though? As far as I remember, McCain's story has never ever been questioned.

But not to mention, he fucking ran for president

I'm sure almost, if not literally, 100% of the people who gave Trump a pass on that comment voted for the dude two terms ago
    Old 08-27-2018, 12:50 PM   #97950
    ThatLetter

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Flag is at half staff over the White House again. Trump is such a cuck.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    Jesus Christ justink just shut the fuck up for once. Why does everything with you turn into an argument?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blaise34 View Post
    CNN headline - Court gives baker narrow win in gay wedding cake case
    7-2 is narrow now
    ThatLetter is offline   Reply With Quote